Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 6,607. Estimated population in July 2005: 6,658 (+0.8% change)
Males: 2,932 (44.4%), Females: 3,675 (55.6%)
Median resident age: 40.9 years
Median household income: $26,702 (year 2000)
Median house value: $56,100 (year 2000)
Opp, AL residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Opp:
- White Non-Hispanic (82.8%)
- Black (15.7%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (30.2%), Irish (8.5%), English (5.6%), German (3.3%), French (1.6%), Scotch-Irish (1.5%).Alabama
Elevation: 335 feet
Land area: 17.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Opp
- High school or higher: 67.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.1%
- Unemployed: 7.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Opp city
- Never married: 18.6%
- Now married: 56.3%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 10.8%
- Divorced: 12.6%
0.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -442 (-6.3%).
Creek Apartments - The Heart of Historic Laurel Close to shops & restaurants />
Ala Florence, Sheffield, Muscle Shoals, Killen />
Estate License - Found The Top Web Sites On Real Estate License />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: AL (58.4 miles Dothan, pop. 57,737).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: AL Montgomery, (74.6 miles pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: TX Houston, (636.0 miles pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: AL (4.5 miles Onycha, AL (4.6 miles Babbie, Hill, AL (5.3 miles Horn AL (7.2 miles Kinston, AL (9.5 miles Sanford, Libertyville, AL (14.4 miles) , AL Elba, (15.3 miles AL Andalusia, (15.6 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 18 buildings, average cost: $80,400
- 1997: 16 buildings, average cost: $78,400
- 1998: 10 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 1999: 12 buildings, average cost: $71,800
- 2000: 6 buildings, average cost: $108,300
- 2001: 5 buildings, average cost: $88,400
- 2002: 8 buildings, average cost: $109,400
- 2003: 8 buildings, average cost: $109,400
- 2004: 3 buildings, average cost: $141,700
Latitude: 31.28 N, Longitude: 86.25 W
Area code: 334
Opp, Alabama business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (24.1%), Educational,health and social services (21.8%), Retail trade (12.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +738 (+11.2%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,503 (57.3%)
Crime in Opp by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||2 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||30.3 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||0 ||3 ||3 ||5 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||45.4 ||45.4 ||75.7 |
|Robberies ||3 ||7 ||4 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||45.4 ||105.9 ||60.5 ||0.0 |
|Assaults ||39 ||31 ||29 ||22 |
| per 100,000 ||590.3 ||469.2 ||438.9 ||333.0 |
|Burglaries ||23 ||52 ||61 ||51 |
| per 100,000 ||348.1 ||787.0 ||923.3 ||771.9 |
|Thefts ||202 ||226 ||195 ||170 |
| per 100,000 ||3057.4 ||3420.6 ||2951.4 ||2573.0 |
|Auto thefts ||5 ||12 ||6 ||10 |
| per 100,000 ||75.7 ||181.6 ||90.8 ||151.4 |
| ||314.7 ||350.2 ||314.1 ||265.9 |
Average climate in Opp, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Opp-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 76% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/17/1971, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 11.1 miles away from the Opp city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 5/16/1983, a category 3 tornado 23.3 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: LaTonya Massaline - WNBA player (Indiana Fever, born: Dec 30, 1977).
Hospital/medical center in Opp:
- MIZELL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (702 MAIN ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Opp:
- ELBA GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; ELBA, AL)
- ANDALUSIA REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; ANDALUSIA, AL)
- FLORALA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; FLORALA, AL)
Political contributions by individuals in Opp, AL
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Opp:
- DOTHAN RGNL (about 57 miles; DOTHAN, AL; ID: DHN)
- HURLBURT FIELD (about 67 miles; MARY ESTHER, FL; ID: HRT)
- MONTGOMERY RGNL (DANNELLY FIELD) (about 71 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; ID: MGM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Opp:
- ANDALUSIA-OPP (about 9 miles; ANDALUSIA/OPP, AL; ID: 79J)
- CARL FOLSOM (about 15 miles; ELBA, AL; ID: 14J)
- FLORALA MUNI (about 18 miles; FLORALA, AL; ID: 0J4)
Local government website:
College/University in Opp:
- DOUGLAS MACARTHUR STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 407; Location: 1708 N MAIN ST; Public; Website: mstc.cc.al.us)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Opp:
- TROY STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 42 miles; TROY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 9,143)
- OKALOOSA-WALTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 56 miles; NICEVILLE, FL; FT enrollment: 3,374)
- GEORGE C WALLACE STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-DOTHAN (about 59 miles; DOTHAN, AL; FT enrollment: 2,703)
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY-MONTGOMERY (about 66 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; FT enrollment: 3,677)
- ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 74 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; FT enrollment: 4,359)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF THE AIR FORCE (about 76 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; FT enrollment: 126,963)
- FAULKNER UNIVERSITY (about 76 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; FT enrollment: 2,283)
Public high school in Opp:
- OPP HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 435; Location: 502 N MALOY ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Opp:
- SOUTH HIGHLANDS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 533; Location: 503 BROWN ST; Grades: PK - 04)
- OPP MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 419; Location: 303 E STEWART AVE; Grades: 05 - 08)
- FLEETA SCHOOL (Students: 310; Location: 27463 COUNTY ROAD 30; Grades: KG - 08)
Libraries in Opp:
- OPP PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $77,909; Location: 1604 NORTH MAIN; 18,578 books; 61 audio materials; 142 video materials; 53 serial subscriptions)
- CROSS TRAILS REGIONAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $69,635; Location: 1604 N. MAIN ST.; 34,549 books; 17 video materials; 9 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Opp: Opp Country Club (A), Opp Public Library (B), Opp City Hall (C).
Shopping Center: Delta Plaza Shopping Center (1).
Churches in Opp include: Westview Church (A), Stephen African Methodist Episcopal Church (B), Southside Church (C), Christian Church (D), Cool Springs Church (E), First Baptist Church (F), First Methodist Church (G), Nazareth Baptist Church (H).
Cemetery: Peaceful Acres Memorial Gardens (1).
Lakes and reservoirs: Williams Pond (A), Barkers Pond (B), Opp Fishing Club Lake (C).
Creeks: Pond Creek (A), Cameron Creek (B), Gin Creek (C).
Parks in Opp include: Channell-Lee Stadium (1), W F Jackson State Park (2).
Post office: (A).
Opp compared to Alabama state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Opp:
- WOPP (1290 AM; 3 kW; OPP, AL; Owner: E. & R BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WAMI (860 AM; 1 kW; OPP, AL; Owner: THE OPP BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WASG (550 AM; 25 kW; ATMORE, AL; Owner: 550 AM, INC)
- WQLS (1200 AM; 10 kW; OZARK, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WZEP (1460 AM; 10 kW; DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, FL; Owner: WALTON COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEBY (1330 AM; 25 kW; MILTON, FL; Owner: SPINNAKER LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WTKN (1560 AM; daytime; 5 kW; DALEVILLE, AL; Owner: JOSEPH A. ADAMS, SR.)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJSB (1050 AM; 5 kW; CRESTVIEW, FL; Owner: CRESTVIEW BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WTBF (970 AM; 5 kW; TROY, AL; Owner: TROY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WELB (1350 AM; 1 kW; ELBA, AL; Owner: ELBA RADIO COMPANY)
- WGTX (1280 AM; 5 kW; DE FUNIAK SPRINGS, FL)
- WDJC (850 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Opp:
- WAMI-FM (102.3 FM; OPP, AL; Owner: THE OPP BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WJIF (91.9 FM; OPP, AL; Owner: OPP EDUCATIONAL B/CNG FOUNDATION)
- WKMX (106.7 FM; ENTERPRISE, AL; Owner: WKMX, INC.)
- WRJM-FM (93.7 FM; GENEVA, AL; Owner: STAGE DOOR DEVELOPMENT, INC.)
- WZTZ (101.1 FM; ELBA, AL; Owner: ELBA RADIO COMPANY)
- WQLD (104.3 FM; LUVERNE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZHT (105.7 FM; TROY, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDJR (96.9 FM; ENTERPRISE, AL; Owner: GULF SOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTKE (98.1 FM; HOLT, FL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W218AO (91.5 FM; ANDALUSIA, AL; Owner: FAITH BROADCASTING, INC)
- WFXX (107.7 FM; GEORGIANA, AL; Owner: JEFFREY K. HAYNES)
- WSTF (91.5 FM; ANDALUSIA, AL; Owner: MONTGOMERY CHRISTIAN EDUC. RADIO,INC)
- WAAO-FM (103.7 FM; ANDALUSIA, AL; Owner: COMPANION BROADCASTING SERVICE, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Opp:
- WDIQ (Channel 2; DOZIER, AL; Owner: ALABAMA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- WTVY (Channel 4; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WRJM-TV (Channel 67; TROY, AL; Owner: JOSIE PARK BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSFA (Channel 12; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WCOV-TV (Channel 20; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: WOODS COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- W19BV (Channel 19; ANDALUSIA, AL; Owner: LOFLIN CHILDREN'S TRUST - FOUR)
- W36BQ (Channel 36; ANDALUSIA, AL; Owner: LOFLIN CHILDREN'S TRUST - FOUR)
- W40BE (Channel 40; ANDALUSIA, AL; Owner: DAVID M. LOFLIN)
- W49BM (Channel 49; ANDALUSIA, AL; Owner: DAVID M. LOFLIN)
- W57CC (Channel 57; ANDALUSIA, AL; Owner: LOFLIN CHILDREN'S TRUST - FOUR)
- W59CQ (Channel 59; ANDALUSIA, AL; Owner: LOFLIN CHILDREN'S TRUST - FOUR)
- W65CW (Channel 65; ANDALUSIA, AL; Owner: DAVID M. LOFLIN)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.