Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 6,563. Estimated population in July 2005: 6,650 (+1.3% change)
Males: 3,049 (46.5%), Females: 3,514 (53.5%)
Median resident age: 37.4 years
Median household income: $26,946 (year 2000)
Median house value: $63,000 (year 2000)
Roanoke, AL residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Roanoke:
- White Non-Hispanic (58.2%)
- Black (39.8%)
- Hispanic (1.2%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (19.4%), Irish (8.0%), English (5.9%), German (5.2%), Dutch (1.2%), Scottish (1.2%).Alabama
Elevation: 880 feet
Land area: 18.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Roanoke
- High school or higher: 61.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.4%
- Unemployed: 6.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Roanoke city
- Never married: 23.2%
- Now married: 47.8%
- Separated: 3.9%
- Widowed: 14.3%
- Divorced: 10.8%
1.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +84 (+1.3%).
Ala Florence, Sheffield, Muscle Shoals, Killen />
Creek Apartments - The Heart of Historic Laurel Close to shops & restaurants />
Real Estate - Real Estate />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: GA Columbus, (54.3 miles pop. 185,781).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: GA Atlanta, (78.7 miles pop. 416,474).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (621.7 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Mills, AL (5.5 miles Rock Five Points, AL (9.2 miles) , AL Wedowee, (13.6 miles AL (13.6 miles Wadley, Woodland, AL (15.7 miles) , Fayette, AL (17.4 miles La GA Ephesus, (19.3 miles AL (19.6 miles Daviston,
Latitude: 33.15 N, Longitude: 85.37 W
Area code: 334
Roanoke, Alabama business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (40.2%), Educational,health and social services (15.0%), Retail trade (11.5%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,076 (+16.4%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,407 (58.5%)
Crime in Roanoke by Year
|Type ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||2 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||15.2 ||30.5 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||2 ||3 ||7 |
| per 100,000 ||30.5 ||45.7 ||106.7 |
|Robberies ||7 ||2 ||7 |
| per 100,000 ||106.7 ||30.5 ||106.7 |
|Assaults ||25 ||15 ||27 |
| per 100,000 ||380.9 ||228.6 ||411.4 |
|Burglaries ||36 ||28 ||39 |
| per 100,000 ||548.5 ||426.6 ||594.2 |
|Thefts ||202 ||178 ||237 |
| per 100,000 ||3077.9 ||2712.2 ||3611.2 |
|Auto thefts ||12 ||10 ||5 |
| per 100,000 ||182.8 ||152.4 ||76.2 |
| ||311.7 ||254.2 ||349.1 |
Average climate in Roanoke, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Roanoke-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 77% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/1/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 28.1 miles away from the Roanoke city center killed 7 people and injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 1/26/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 7.0 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 7 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Hospital/medical center in Roanoke:
- RANDOLPH MEDICAL CENTER (59928 HIGHWAY 22)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Roanoke:
- WEDOWEE HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; WEDOWEE, AL)
- WEST GEORGIA MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 22 miles; LAGRANGE, GA)
- GEORGE H LANIER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 29 miles; VALLEY, AL)
Political contributions by individuals in Roanoke, AL
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Roanoke:
- ANNISTON METROPOLITAN (about 45 miles; ANNISTON, AL; ID: ANB)
- COLUMBUS METROPOLITAN (about 54 miles; COLUMBUS, GA; ID: CSG)
- TALLADEGA MUNI (about 56 miles; TALLADEGA, AL; ID: ASN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Roanoke:
- ROANOKE MUNI (about 3 miles; ROANOKE, AL; ID: 7A5)
- LAGRANGE-CALLAWAY (about 24 miles; LAGRANGE, GA; ID: LGC)
- LANNET MUNI (about 27 miles; LANETT, AL; ID: 7A3)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Roanoke:
- SOUTHERN UNION STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; WADLEY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,925)
- STATE UNIVERSITY OF WEST GEORGIA (about 35 miles; CARROLLTON, GA; FT enrollment: 7,241)
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY MAIN CAMPUS (about 39 miles; AUBURN UNIVERSITY, AL; FT enrollment: 19,703)
- JACKSONVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; JACKSONVILLE, AL; FT enrollment: 6,418)
- TUSKEGEE UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; TUSKEGEE, AL; FT enrollment: 2,732)
- COLUMBUS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; COLUMBUS, GA; FT enrollment: 3,886)
- GADSDEN STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 65 miles; GADSDEN, AL; FT enrollment: 3,360)
Public high school in Roanoke:
- HANDLEY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 401; Location: 158 W POINT ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Roanoke:
- HANDLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 539; Location: 251 GILHAM RD; Grades: 04 - 08)
- KNIGHT ENLOE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 509; Location: 430 PARK AVE; Grades: KG - 03)
Private primary/middle school in Roanoke:
- EAST ALABAMA CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 57; Location: 404 NORTH HANDLEY AVENUE; Grades: PK - 10)
Library in Roanoke:
- ANNIE L. AWBREY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $92,520; Location: 736 COLLEGE STREET; 21,992 books; 670 audio materials; 46 video materials; 46 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Roanoke: Roanoke County Club (A), Roanoke Public Library (B), Roanoke Sewage Disposal Plant (C), Roanoke City Hall (D).
Churches in Roanoke include: Center Chapel (A), Southside Church (B), Roanoke Church of Christ (C), First Baptist Church (D), First Christian Church (E), First United Methodist Church (F), Peace and Goodwill Church (G), Mission Mount Bethel Church (H).
Cemeteries: Cedarwood Cemetery (1), Booger Hill Cemetery (2), Brown Cemetery (3).
Lakes and reservoirs: Bell Lake (A), Bartlett Pond (B), High Pine Creek Lake Number 2 (C), High Pine Creek Lake Number 3 (D), McMurray Lake (E), Lake Louise (F), Roanoke City Lake (G), Rice Pond (H).
Creeks: Town Creek (A), Graves Creek (B).
Post office: (A).
Roanoke compared to Alabama state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Roanoke:
- WELR (1360 AM; 1 kW; ROANOKE, AL)
- WKNG (1060 AM; daytime; 50 kW; TALLAPOOSA, GA; Owner: WKNG, INC.)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WGSE (720 AM; daytime; 8 kW; HOGANSVILLE, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WMLB (1160 AM; 50 kW; EAST POINT, GA; Owner: ATLANTA AREA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCNN (680 AM; 50 kW; NORTH ATLANTA, GA; Owner: DICKEY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSB (750 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WFTD (1080 AM; daytime; 50 kW; MARIETTA, GA; Owner: PRIETO ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WGUN (1010 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: WGUN, INC.)
- WZZX (780 AM; daytime; 5 kW; LINEVILLE, AL; Owner: ROBERT A. PERRY)
- WAOK (1380 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Roanoke:
- WELR-FM (102.3 FM; ROANOKE, AL; Owner: EAGLE'S NEST, INC.)
- WMAX-FM (105.3 FM; BOWDON, GA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTBJ (91.3 FM; OXFORD, AL; Owner: TRINITY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY)
- WSTH-FM (106.1 FM; ALEXANDER CITY, AL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WALR-FM (104.1 FM; LA GRANGE, GA; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WVFJ-FM (93.3 FM; MANCHESTER, GA; Owner: PROVIDENT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WASZ (95.5 FM; ASHLAND, AL; Owner: WILLIAMS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCJM-FM (100.9 FM; WEST POINT, GA; Owner: QANTUM OF AUBURN LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- W220AN (91.9 FM; LA GRANGE, ETC., GA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Roanoke:
- WSWS-TV (Channel 66; OPELIKA, AL; Owner: PAPPAS TELECASTING OF OPELIKA)
- W04DB (Channel 4; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: VVILPTV, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.