Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 10,698
Males: 5,124 (47.9%), Females: 5,574 (52.1%)
Median resident age: 38.4 years
Median household income: $37,321 (year 2000)
Median house value: $69,200 (year 2000)
Saks, AL residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Saks:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.5%)
- Black (12.9%)
- Hispanic (1.7%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (18.1%), Irish (9.5%), English (7.9%), German (7.1%), Dutch (2.6%), Scotch-Irish (1.7%).Alabama
Elevation: 822 feet
Land area: 12.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Saks
- High school or higher: 75.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Saks CDP
- Never married: 20.0%
- Now married: 59.2%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 8.2%
- Divorced: 11.1%
2.3% Foreign born (0.8% Latin America, 0.7% Europe, 0.6% Asia).
Lake Real Estate - in Lake Front Property at Smith Lake Alabama />
Ala Florence, Sheffield, Muscle Shoals, Killen />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: AL Birmingham, (67.7 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (576.4 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Mountain, AL (1.4 miles Blue AL Anniston, (3.4 miles AL Weaver, (4.1 miles End-Cobb Town, AL (4.3 miles West AL (4.9 miles Alexandria, City, AL (6.2 miles Hobson AL (7.7 miles Oxford, AL (9.4 miles Jacksonville,
Latitude: 33.71 N, Longitude: 85.84 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 256
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (21.1%), Educational,health and social services (15.1%), Retail trade (13.2%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -3,541 (-33.1%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 409 (8.6%)
Average climate in Saks, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Saks-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Alabama state average. It is 158% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/27/1973, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 13.9 miles away from the Saks city center killed 7 people and injured 199 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 3/27/1994, a category 4 tornado 21.0 miles away from the city center killed 22 people and injured 150 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Saks:
- STRINGFELLOW MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; ANNISTON, AL)
- NORTHEAST ALABAMA REGIONAL MED CENTER (about 8 miles; ANNISTON, AL)
- JACKSONVILLE HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; JACKSONVILLE, AL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Saks:
- ANNISTON METROPOLITAN (about 9 miles; ANNISTON, AL; ID: ANB)
- TALLADEGA MUNI (about 18 miles; TALLADEGA, AL; ID: ASN)
- BIRMINGHAM INTL (about 64 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL; ID: BHM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Saks:
- MCMINN (about 3 miles; WEAVER, AL; ID: 25A)
- GADSDEN MUNI (about 25 miles; GADSDEN, AL; ID: GAD)
- ST CLAIR COUNTY (about 30 miles; PELL CITY, AL; ID: PLR)
Amtrak station near Saks:
- 5 miles: ANNISTON (126 W.4TH ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Saks:
- JACKSONVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 6,418)
- GADSDEN STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 20 miles; GADSDEN, AL; FT enrollment: 3,360)
- SOUTHERN UNION STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 44 miles; WADLEY, AL; FT enrollment: 2,925)
- STATE UNIVERSITY OF WEST GEORGIA (about 53 miles; CARROLLTON, GA; FT enrollment: 7,241)
- JEFFERSON STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 60 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL; FT enrollment: 3,279)
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY (about 68 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL; FT enrollment: 4,106)
- GEORGE C WALLACE STATE COMMUNITY COLL-HANCEVILLE (about 71 miles; HANCEVILLE, AL; FT enrollment: 3,272)
Notable location: Indian Oaks Country Club (A).
Shopping Centers: Saks Shopping Center (1), Jacks Shopping Center (2).
Churches in Saks include: Westview Baptist Church (A), Church of Christ (B), Sakston Heights Assembly of God Church (C), Saks Church of God of Prophecy (D), Saks Baptist Church (E), Landmark Baptist Temple (F), Edgewood Congregational Methodist Church (G), First Church of the Nazarene (H).
Cemeteries: Westview Gardens Cemetery (1), Halls Chapel Cemetery (2).
Reservoir: Doss Lake (A).
Saks compared to Alabama state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Saks:
- WHMA (1390 AM; 5 kW; ANNISTON, AL; Owner: CASEY NETWORK, LLC)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WANA (1490 AM; 1 kW; ANNISTON, AL; Owner: DEWEY D. LANKFORD)
- WDNG (1450 AM; 1 kW; ANNISTON, AL; Owner: WDNG, INC.)
- WKNG (1060 AM; daytime; 50 kW; TALLAPOOSA, GA; Owner: WKNG, INC.)
- WAAX (570 AM; 5 kW; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDJC (850 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOG (1120 AM; daytime; 1 kW; HOBSON CITY, AL; Owner: HOBSON CITY BROADCASTING CO)
- WJBY (930 AM; 5 kW; RAINBOW CITY, AL; Owner: GADSDEN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WAPI (1070 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WZZX (780 AM; daytime; 5 kW; LINEVILLE, AL; Owner: ROBERT A. PERRY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Saks:
- WVOK-FM (97.9 FM; OXFORD, AL; Owner: WOODARD BROADCASTING CO. INC.)
- W269AX (101.7 FM; ANNISTON, AL; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WTBJ (91.3 FM; OXFORD, AL; Owner: TRINITY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY)
- WLJS-FM (91.9 FM; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: BD. OF TRUSTEES/JACKSONVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WGRW (90.7 FM; ANNISTON, AL; Owner: WORD WORKS, INC.)
- WGMZ (93.1 FM; GLENCOE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRHY (105.9 FM; CENTRE, AL; Owner: WILLIAMS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WQSB (105.1 FM; ALBERTVILLE, AL; Owner: SAND MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- WMAX-FM (105.3 FM; BOWDON, GA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTDR (92.7 FM; TALLADEGA, AL; Owner: JACOBS BROADCAST GROUP, INC.)
- WCKS (102.7 FM; FRUITHURST, AL; Owner: WCKS, INC.)
- WSSY-FM (97.5 FM; TALLADEGA, AL; Owner: GREAT SOUTH RFDC, LLC)
- WASZ (95.5 FM; ASHLAND, AL; Owner: WILLIAMS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKXX (102.9 FM; ATTALLA, AL; Owner: BROADCAST MEDIA LLC)
- WSGN (91.5 FM; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: GADSDEN STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WTBB (89.9 FM; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: TRINITY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY)
TV broadcast stations around Saks:
- WCIQ (Channel 7; MOUNT CHEAHA, AL; Owner: ALABAMA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- WJXS-CA (Channel 24; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: ALABAMA HERITAGE COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
- WPXH (Channel 44; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- W29AO (Channel 29; ANNISTON, AL; Owner: WBRC LICENSE, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.