Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 7,811. Estimated population in July 2005: 7,281 (-6.8% change)
Males: 3,587 (45.9%), Females: 4,224 (54.1%)
Median resident age: 36.8 years
Median household income: $24,151 (year 2000)
Median house value: $61,000 (year 2000)
Newport, AR residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Newport:
- White Non-Hispanic (66.0%)
- Black (31.8%)
- Hispanic (1.1%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (12.7%), Irish (6.4%), English (5.9%), German (4.8%), Scotch-Irish (1.9%), Scottish (1.3%).Arkansas forum
Land area: 13.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Newport
- High school or higher: 66.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Newport city
- Never married: 22.6%
- Now married: 51.3%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 10.0%
- Divorced: 14.4%
0.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +255 (+3.4%).
Vista Vacations - homes for rent by the week - View photos & amenities online. />
Homes For Sale - A Complete List of Homes. Free Search for Homes in Arkansas. />
- Mountain Park SC - real estate available in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: AR Jonesboro, (41.8 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: TN Memphis, (95.1 miles pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: TX Dallas, (426.5 miles pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: AR (2.3 miles Diaz, AR (3.8 miles Jacksonport, Station, AR (3.9 miles Campbell AR Tuckerman, (9.1 miles Amagon, AR (11.0 miles) , Weldon, AR (11.6 miles) , AR (13.2 miles Grubbs, Trough, AR (13.7 miles Oil
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 12 buildings, average cost: $60,200
- 1997: 11 buildings, average cost: $65,500
- 1998: 14 buildings, average cost: $64,000
- 1999: 13 buildings, average cost: $64,300
- 2000: 12 buildings, average cost: $64,300
- 2001: 11 buildings, average cost: $64,300
- 2002: 0 buildings
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $90,000
- 2004: 5 buildings, average cost: $136,400
Latitude: 35.61 N, Longitude: 91.26 W
Area code: 870
Newport, Arkansas business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (26.5%), Manufacturing (13.9%), Retail trade (12.8%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,740 (+22.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,820 (74.4%)
Crime in Newport by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||25.6 |
|Rapes ||2 ||2 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||25.6 ||25.6 ||25.6 |
|Robberies ||7 ||1 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||89.6 ||12.8 ||12.8 |
|Assaults ||14 ||14 ||35 |
| per 100,000 ||179.2 ||179.2 ||448.1 |
|Burglaries ||84 ||56 ||82 |
| per 100,000 ||1075.4 ||716.9 ||1049.8 |
|Thefts ||178 ||99 ||402 |
| per 100,000 ||2278.8 ||1267.4 ||5146.6 |
|Auto thefts ||30 ||27 ||24 |
| per 100,000 ||384.1 ||345.7 ||307.3 |
| ||270.1 ||178.5 ||433.2 |
Average climate in Newport, Arkansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Newport-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Arkansas state average. It is 182% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/15/1968, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 9.9 miles away from the Newport city center killed 35 people and injured 364 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 3/15/1984, a category 4 tornado 10.1 miles away from the city center killed 5 people and injured 12 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Bo Lacy - 2005 NFL player (Indianapolis Colts, born: Nov 22, 1980), Mary Steenburgen - (born 1953), actress.
Hospitals/medical centers in Newport:
- HARRIS HOSPITAL (1205 MCLAIN STREET)
- NEWPORT HOSPITAL AND CLINIC INC (2000 MCLAIN STREEET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Newport:
- WHITE RIVER MEDICAL CENTER (about 21 miles; BATESVILLE, AR)
- LAWRENCE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 39 miles; WALNUT RIDGE, AR)
- CROSSRIDGE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 40 miles; WYNNE, AR)
Political contributions by individuals in Newport, AR
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Newport:
- LITTLE ROCK AFB (about 78 miles; JACKSONVILLE, AR; ID: LRF)
- ADAMS FIELD (about 91 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; ID: LIT)
- MEMPHIS INTL (about 99 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; ID: MEM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Newport:
- NEWPORT MUNI (about 7 miles; NEWPORT, AR; ID: M19)
- WOODRUFF COUNTY (about 24 miles; AUGUSTA, AR; ID: M60)
- SALLY WOFFORD (about 26 miles; WEINER, AR; ID: 8M2)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Newport:
- HARDING UNIVERSITY (about 41 miles; SEARCY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,959)
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 44 miles; STATE UNIVERSITY, AR; FT enrollment: 8,696)
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-BEEBE BRANCH (about 57 miles; BEEBE, AR; FT enrollment: 3,840)
- UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS (about 84 miles; CONWAY, AR; FT enrollment: 7,693)
- UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS (about 94 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 15,831)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-UNION CAMPUS (about 94 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 6,979)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 94 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 2,019)
Public high school in Newport:
- NEWPORT HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 458; Location: 406 WILKERSON DRIVE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Newport:
- CASTLEBERRY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 538; Location: 406 WILKERSON DRIVE; Grades: KG - 03)
- GIBBS ALBRIGHT ELEM. SCHOOL (Students: 373; Location: 406 WILKERSON DRIVE; Grades: 04 - 06)
- NEWPORT JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 240; Location: 406 WILKERSON DRIVE; Grades: 07 - 08)
Library in Newport:
- JACKSON COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $171,655; Location: 213 WALNUT STREET / PO BOX 190; 56,070 books; 652 audio materials; 131 video materials; 79 serial subscriptions)
Newport compared to Arkansas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Newport:
- KNBY (1280 AM; 1 kW; NEWPORT, AR; Owner: NEWPORT BROADCASTING CO.)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- KWCK (1300 AM; daytime; 5 kW; SEARCY, AR; Owner: CALDWELL BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KXJK (950 AM; 5 kW; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: FORREST CITY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WJCE (680 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: ENTERCOM MEMPHIS LICENSE, LLC)
- KMTL (760 AM; daytime; 10 kW; SHERWOOD, AR; Owner: GEORGE V. DOMERESE)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KOTC (830 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KENNETT, MO; Owner: EAGLE BLUFF ENTERPRISES)
Strongest FM radio stations in Newport:
- KOKR (96.7 FM; NEWPORT, AR; Owner: NEWPORT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KABK-FM (97.7 FM; AUGUSTA, AR; Owner: FAMILY WORSHIP CENTER CHURCH, INC.)
- KLLN (90.9 FM; NEWARK, AR; Owner: NEWARK PUBLIC SCHOOLS)
- KFIN (107.9 FM; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KZLE (93.1 FM; BATESVILLE, AR; Owner: WRD ENTERTAINMENT, INC.)
- KASU (91.9 FM; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY)
- KIYS (101.9 FM; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: ,CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KBTA-FM (99.5 FM; BATESVILLE, AR; Owner: W R D ENTERTAINMENT, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Newport:
- KAIT (Channel 8; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- KTEJ (Channel 19; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: ARKANSAS EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- K22ES (Channel 22; BATESVILLE, AR; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.