Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 6,518. Estimated population in July 2005: 6,765 (+3.8% change)
Males: 2,988 (45.8%), Females: 3,530 (54.2%)
Median resident age: 38.0 years
Median household income: $24,450 (year 2000)
Median house value: $54,000 (year 2000)
Pocahontas, AR residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Pocahontas:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.7%)
- Black (1.1%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
Ancestries: United States (18.7%), German (15.5%), Irish (8.3%), English (7.1%), French (2.5%), Italian (2.3%).Arkansas
Elevation: 305 feet
Land area: 7.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Pocahontas
- High school or higher: 68.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.8%
- Unemployed: 7.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pocahontas city
- Never married: 17.2%
- Now married: 56.1%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 11.1%
- Divorced: 13.7%
1.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +361 (+5.9%).
Real Estate - Real Estate Listings Search. View Properties in Arkansas. />
Foreclosures - Foreclosures low as $10k Search Free Today! />
Rentals - vacation rentals online. Photos, nightly & monthly rates. />
GA Home Search - Buyers Information & Free Relocation Package />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: AR Jonesboro, (35.7 miles www.RentJillsHouse.com/Arkansas )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: TN Memphis, (105.0 miles pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (447.2 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: City, AR (9.8 miles College AR (11.8 miles Maynard, AR (12.3 miles Biggers, AR (12.7 miles O'Kean, Ridge, AR (13.3 miles Walnut Rock, AR (13.8 miles Black AR (14.0 miles Portia, AR (14.8 miles Imboden,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 25 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 1997: 26 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 1998: 26 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 1999: 28 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 2000: 25 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 2001: 26 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 2002: 29 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 2003: 31 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 2004: 36 buildings, average cost: $35,500
Latitude: 36.26 N, Longitude: 90.97 W
Area code: 870
Pocahontas, Arkansas business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (27.5%), Educational,health and social services (22.0%), Retail trade (12.5%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,338 (+35.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,772 (72.0%)
Crime in Pocahontas (2001):
- 0 murders (0.0 per 100,000)
- 0 rapes (0.0 per 100,000)
- 0 robberies (0.0 per 100,000)
- 27 assaults (411.3 per 100,000)
- 30 burglaries (457.0 per 100,000)
- 196 thefts (2986.0 per 100,000)
- 3 auto thefts (45.7 per 100,000) crime index = 239.0 (higher means more crime, US average = 330.8)
Average climate in Pocahontas, Arkansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Pocahontas-area historical tornado activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 115% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/21/1999, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 29.1 miles away from the Pocahontas city center caused $1 million in damages.
On 5/26/1973, a category 4 tornado 36.1 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 289 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Main business address for: POCAHONTAS BANCORP INC (SAVINGS INSTITUTION, FEDERALLY CHARTERED).
Hospital/medical center in Pocahontas:
- RANDOLPH COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (2801 MEDICAL CENTER DRIVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Pocahontas:
- LAWRENCE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; WALNUT RIDGE, AR)
- RIPLEY COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; DONIPHAN, MO)
- ARKANSAS METHODIST HOSPITAL (about 35 miles; PARAGOULD, AR)
Political contributions by individuals in Pocahontas, AR
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pocahontas:
- MILLINGTON MUNI (about 99 miles; MILLINGTON, TN; ID: NQA)
- MEMPHIS INTL (about 110 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; ID: MEM)
- CAPE GIRARDEAU REGIONAL (about 118 miles; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; ID: CGI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pocahontas:
- NICK WILSON FIELD (about 3 miles; POCAHONTAS, AR; ID: M70)
- WALNUT RIDGE REGIONAL (about 11 miles; WALNUT RIDGE, AR; ID: ARG)
- CORNING MUNI (about 26 miles; CORNING, AR; ID: 4M9)
Amtrak station near Pocahontas:
- 14 miles: WALNUT RIDGE (HWY. 67 AT MAIN ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Sewerage ||4 ||$6,391 ||$19,173 ||0 ||$0 |
|Water Supply ||9 ||$13,172 ||$17,562 ||0 ||$0 |Colleges/Universities in Pocahontas:
- BLACK RIVER TECHNICAL COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 894; Location: BOX 468 HWY 304; Public; Website: www.blackrivertech.org)
- BLACKWOOD BEAUTY SCHOOL (Location: 2105 HWY 67 S; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pocahontas:
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 36 miles; STATE UNIVERSITY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 8,696)
- HARDING UNIVERSITY (about 88 miles; SEARCY, AR; FT enrollment: 3,959)
- UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS (about 101 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 15,831)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-UNION CAMPUS (about 101 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 6,979)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 101 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 2,019)
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-BEEBE BRANCH (about 103 miles; BEEBE, AR; FT enrollment: 3,840)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-MACON CAMPUS (about 107 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 6,979)
Public high school in Pocahontas:
- POCAHONTAS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 382; Location: 2312 STADIUM DRIVE; Grades: 10 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Pocahontas:
- POCAHONTAS UPPER ELEM. SCHOOL (Students: 529; Location: 2301 NORTH PARK; Grades: 03 - 06)
- POCAHONTAS JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 523; Location: 2405 NORTH PARK; Grades: 07 - 09)
- ALMA SPIKES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 387; Location: 1707 HIGHLAND; Grades: KG - 02)
Private primary/middle school in Pocahontas:
- ST PAULS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 126; Location: 311 CEDAR STREET; Grades: KG - 6)
Notable locations in Pocahontas: Randolph County Courthouse (A), Randolph County Library (B), Pocahontas Convalescent Center (C).
Shopping Centers: Y Shopping Center (1), Broadway Shopping Center (2), East Gate Plaza Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Pocahontas include: Shannon Church (A), Saint Pauls Catholic Church (B), Pyburn Street Church of Christ (C), First Baptist Church (D), First United Methodist Church (E), Hope Evangelical Free Church (F).
Cemeteries: Saint Paul Cemetery (1), Randolph Memorial Gardens (2), Troy Cemetery (3).
Reservoir: Baltz Lake (A).
Creeks: Marr Creek (A), Crooked Creek (B), Hamil Creek (C).
Park in Pocahontas: Alexander Park (1).
Post office: (A).
Pocahontas compared to Arkansas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Pocahontas:
- KPOC (1420 AM; 1 kW; POCAHONTAS, AR; Owner: COMBINED MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KRLW (1320 AM; 1 kW; WALNUT RIDGE, AR; Owner: COMBINED MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- KOTC (830 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KENNETT, MO; Owner: EAGLE BLUFF ENTERPRISES)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- KDFN (1500 AM; daytime; 3 kW; DONIPHAN, MO; Owner: EAGLE BLUFF ENTERPRISES)
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KWOC (930 AM; 5 kW; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC)
- WJCE (680 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: ENTERCOM MEMPHIS LICENSE, LLC)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Pocahontas:
- KPOC-FM (103.9 FM; POCAHONTAS, AR; Owner: COMBINED MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- K211BX (90.1 FM; POCAHONTAS, AR; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- KIYS (101.9 FM; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: ,CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KASU (91.9 FM; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY)
- KBKG (93.5 FM; CORNING, AR; Owner: SHIELDS-ADKINS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KFIN (107.9 FM; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KJLV (105.3 FM; HOXIE, AR; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KOEA (97.5 FM; DONIPHAN, MO; Owner: EAGLE BLUFF ENTERPRISES)
- KRLW-FM (106.3 FM; WALNUT RIDGE, AR; Owner: COMBINED MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- KDEZ (100.5 FM; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ARKANSAS, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Pocahontas:
- KAIT (Channel 8; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- K46EM (Channel 46; BATESVILLE, AR; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KTEJ (Channel 19; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: ARKANSAS EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.