Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 8,689. Estimated population in July 2005: 7,876 (-9.4% change)
Males: 3,881 (44.7%), Females: 4,808 (55.3%)
Median resident age: 30.0 years
Median household income: $21,130 (year 2000)
Median house value: $46,400 (year 2000)
West Helena, AR residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in West Helena:
- Black (65.7%)
- White Non-Hispanic (32.4%)
- Hispanic (1.0%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (7.0%), Irish (4.2%), English (3.4%), German (1.7%), Subsaharan African (1.4%).Helena, Arkansas
Elevation: 255 feet
Land area: 4.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in West Helena
- High school or higher: 64.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 10.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Helena city
- Never married: 31.6%
- Now married: 40.9%
- Separated: 4.0%
- Widowed: 11.2%
- Divorced: 12.3%
1.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -1,316 (-13.2%).
Real Estate - Real Estate Listings Search. View Properties in Arkansas. />
Real Estate - Real Estate Info Start searching today. Learn more. />
Hotels Hotels - Official Arkansas Hotel Site Book Online Or Call Toll Free />
Arkansas Hotels - Tours, Reviews, Hotel Maps Compare & Save on Hotels Today! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: TN Memphis, (60.9 miles pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: TX Dallas, (439.0 miles pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: AR (3.2 miles Helena, AR (8.1 miles Lexa, LaGrange, AR (9.8 miles) , Point, MS (12.4 miles Friars MS (13.1 miles Lula, AR (14.5 miles Rondo, View, AR (14.7 miles Lake MS (15.0 miles Coahoma,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 6 buildings, average cost: $43,000
- 1997: 8 buildings, average cost: $36,100
- 1998: 0 buildings
- 1999: 10 buildings, average cost: $103,100
- 2000: 9 buildings, average cost: $103,100
- 2001: 10 buildings, average cost: $103,100
- 2002: 11 buildings, average cost: $103,100
- 2003: 0 buildings
- 2004: 0 buildings
Latitude: 34.55 N, Longitude: 90.64 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 870
West Helena, Arkansas business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (25.5%), Retail trade (14.8%), Manufacturing (14.3%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (14.0%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -654 (-7.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,064 (36.2%)
Crime in West Helena (2001):
- 0 murders (0.0 per 100,000)
- 3 rapes (34.3 per 100,000)
- 19 robberies (217.1 per 100,000)
- 14 assaults (160.0 per 100,000)
- 125 burglaries (1428.6 per 100,000)
- 74 thefts (845.7 per 100,000)
- 26 auto thefts (297.1 per 100,000) crime index = 270.3 (higher means more crime, US average = 330.8)
Crime in West Helena (2004):
- 1 murder (12.3 per 100,000)
- 11 rapes (135.1 per 100,000)
- 19 robberies (233.4 per 100,000)
- 31 assaults (380.7 per 100,000)
- 227 burglaries (2788.0 per 100,000)
- 181 thefts (2223.0 per 100,000)
- 17 auto thefts (208.8 per 100,000) crime index = 481.0 (higher means more crime, US average = 315.1)
Average climate in West Helena, Arkansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
West Helena-area historical tornado activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 104% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/29/1956, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 6.3 miles away from the West Helena city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/29/1963, a category 3 tornado 10.1 miles away from the city center killed 5 people and injured 10 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Jon Bradley - 2005 NFL player (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, born: Jan 13, 1981).
Hospitals/medical centers near West Helena:
- HELENA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 5 miles; HELENA, AR)
- NW MISSISSIPPI REGIONAL MED CENTER (about 25 miles; CLARKSDALE, MS)
- QUITMAN COUNTY HOSPITAL & NH (about 33 miles; MARKS, MS)
Political contributions by individuals in West Helena, AR
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to West Helena:
- MEMPHIS INTL (about 58 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; ID: MEM)
- MILLINGTON MUNI (about 78 miles; MILLINGTON, TN; ID: NQA)
- UNIVERSITY-OXFORD (about 78 miles; OXFORD, MS; ID: UOX)
Other public-use airports nearest to West Helena:
- THOMPSON-ROBBINS (about 3 miles; HELENA/WEST HELENA, AR; ID: HEE)
- LEE COUNTY-MARIANNA (about 19 miles; MARIANNA, AR; ID: 6M7)
- FLETCHER FIELD (about 21 miles; CLARKSDALE, MS; ID: CKM)
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Water Supply ||9 ||$20,236 ||$26,981 ||6 ||$3,456 |Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West Helena:
- NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 49 miles; SENATOBIA, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,842)
- DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 65 miles; CLEVELAND, MS; FT enrollment: 3,288)
- UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS (about 65 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 15,831)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-UNION CAMPUS (about 65 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 6,979)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 65 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 2,019)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-MACON CAMPUS (about 70 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 6,979)
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 76 miles; ITTA BENA, MS; FT enrollment: 2,297)
Public high school in West Helena:
- CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 851; Location: 103 SCHOOL ROAD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in West Helena:
- DE SOTO SCHOOL INC (Students: 326; Location: P O BOX 2807; Grades: PK - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in West Helena:
- MILLER JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 611; Location: 106 MILLER LOOP; Grades: 07 - 10)
- BEECH CREST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 489; Location: 1020 PLAZA ST; Grades: 01 - 06)
- WEST SIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 468; Location: 339 SOUTH ASHLAR; Grades: 01 - 06)
- WOODRUFF ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 266; Location: 805 CLEBURNE; Grades: KG - KG)
West Helena compared to Arkansas state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in West Helena:
- KFFA (1360 AM; 1 kW; HELENA, AR; Owner: DELTA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- KXJK (950 AM; 5 kW; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: FORREST CITY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WJCE (680 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: ENTERCOM MEMPHIS LICENSE, LLC)
- KWAM (990 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WHBQ (560 AM; 5 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WREC (600 AM; 5 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in West Helena:
- KFFA-FM (103.1 FM; HELENA, AR; Owner: DELTA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KJIW-FM (94.5 FM; HELENA, AR; Owner: ELIJAH MONDY,JR.)
- KCLT (104.9 FM; WEST HELENA, AR; Owner: WEST HELENA B/CASTERS)
- KVRN (90.7 FM; MARVELL, AR; Owner: EAST ARKANSAS EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- KAKJ (105.3 FM; MARIANNA, AR; Owner: L.T. SIMES II & RAYMOND SIMES)
- WAID (106.5 FM; CLARKSDALE, MS; Owner: RADIO CLEVELAND, INC.)
- WWUN-FM (101.5 FM; CLARKSDALE, MS; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WKXY (92.1 FM; CLARKSDALE, MS; Owner: CLARKSDALE BROADCASTING COMPANY)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.