Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 29,674. Estimated population in July 2005: 29,217 (-1.5% change)
Males: 14,596 (49.2%), Females: 15,078 (50.8%)
Median resident age: 36.1 years
Median household income: $49,109 (year 2000)
Median house value: $399,800 (year 2000)
Monterey, CA residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Monterey:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (75.0%)
- Hispanic (10.9%)
- Two or more races (4.4%)
- Other race (3.9%)
- Black (2.5%)
- Japanese (2.0%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Filipino (1.4%)
- Chinese (1.2%)
- Korean (1.1%)
- Asian Indian (0.7%)
- Other Asian (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (17.2%), English (12.7%), Irish (12.1%), Italian (10.8%), Scottish (4.1%), United States (3.0%).California
Elevation: 60 feet
Land area: 8.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Monterey
- High school or higher: 91.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 46.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 18.7%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Monterey city
- Never married: 34.0%
- Now married: 44.2%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 12.4%
17.9% Foreign born (6.4% Asia, 5.8% Europe, 4.4% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -3,116 (-9.5%).
Grove Hotels - waste time! Compare prices from top engines and book fast. />
Hotels - to find great deals? Compare low hotel rates before you book. />
Hotel - to find Monterey hotels? Visit our Monterey hotel guide. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: CA Salinas, (18.0 miles pop. 151,060).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Jose, CA San (48.7 miles pop. 894,943).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Angeles, CA Los (297.6 miles pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: Grove, CA Pacific (2.5 miles City, CA (3.0 miles Sand Rey Oaks, CA (3.6 miles Del CA Carmel-by-the-Sea, (3.8 miles Monte Forest, CA (3.9 miles Del CA (4.0 miles Seaside, CA (8.4 miles Marina, Valley Village, CA (13.9 miles Carmel
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 13 buildings, average cost: $257,100
- 1997: 23 buildings, average cost: $239,200
- 1998: 24 buildings, average cost: $205,200
- 1999: 18 buildings, average cost: $258,200
- 2000: 21 buildings, average cost: $218,300
- 2001: 16 buildings, average cost: $221,000
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $199,500
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $458,800
- 2004: 9 buildings, average cost: $383,600
Latitude: 36.60 N, Longitude: 121.89 W
Area code: 831
Monterey, California business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (24.8%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (15.7%), Retail trade (12.6%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (11.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +17,657 (+59.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 10,160 (60.8%)
Crime in Monterey by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||1 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||3.4 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||9 ||13 ||10 ||15 ||12 ||15 |
| per 100,000 ||30.3 ||43.8 ||33.7 ||50.5 ||40.4 ||50.5 |
|Robberies ||42 ||31 ||40 ||31 ||36 ||29 |
| per 100,000 ||141.5 ||104.5 ||134.8 ||104.5 ||121.3 ||97.7 |
|Assaults ||163 ||151 ||198 ||86 ||108 ||142 |
| per 100,000 ||549.3 ||508.9 ||667.3 ||289.8 ||364.0 ||478.5 |
|Burglaries ||216 ||238 ||201 ||255 ||221 ||248 |
| per 100,000 ||727.9 ||802.0 ||677.4 ||859.3 ||744.8 ||835.7 |
|Thefts ||958 ||849 ||895 ||907 ||990 ||985 |
| per 100,000 ||3228.4 ||2861.1 ||3016.1 ||3056.5 ||3336.3 ||3319.4 |
|Auto thefts ||53 ||37 ||49 ||75 ||70 ||72 |
| per 100,000 ||178.6 ||124.7 ||165.1 ||252.7 ||235.9 ||242.6 |
| ||358.8 ||331.2 ||368.6 ||312.2 ||333.2 ||355.9 |
Average climate in Monterey, California
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Birthplace of: Maurice Mann - 2005 NFL player (Miami Dolphins, born: Sep 14, 1982), Sammy Hagar - (born 1947), singer, Nate Rede - College basketball player (Idaho State Bengals).
Main business address for: Language Line, Inc. (COMMUNICATION SERVICES, NEC), Language Line Holdings, Inc. (COMMUNICATION SERVICES, NEC), CENTURY ALUMINUM CO (PRIMARY PRODUCTION OF ALUMINUM), EXCELLIGENCE LEARNING CORP (RETAIL-CATALOG & MAIL-ORDER HOUSES).
Hospital/medical center in Monterey:
- COMM HOSP OF THE MONTEREY PENINSULA (23625 W R HOLMAN HIGHWAY)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Monterey:
- SALINAS VALLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; SALINAS, CA)
- NATIVIDAD MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; SALINAS, CA)
- WATSONVILLE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; WATSONVILLE, CA)
Political contributions by individuals in Monterey, CA
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Monterey:
- MONTEREY PENINSULA (about 5 miles; MONTEREY, CA; ID: MRY)
- NORMAN Y. MINETA SAN JOSE INTERNATIONAL (about 52 miles; SAN JOSE, CA; ID: SJC)
- SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL (about 78 miles; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; ID: SFO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Monterey:
- MARINA MUNICIPAL (about 11 miles; MARINA, CA; ID: OAR)
- SALINAS MUNI (about 21 miles; SALINAS, CA; ID: SNS)
- WATSONVILLE MUNI (about 25 miles; WATSONVILLE, CA; ID: WVI)
MONTEREY TRANSIT PLAZA (PEARL & TYLER STS.) - Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible, public payphones, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Colleges/Universities in Monterey:
- MONTEREY PENINSULA COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 4,295; Location: 980 FREMONT ST; Public; Website: www.mpc.edu)
- MONTEREY INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES (FT enrollment: 615; Location: 425 VAN BUREN; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.miis.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL (Location: CODE 011; Public; Offers Doctor's degree)
- GOLDEN GATE UNIVERSITY-MONTEREY (Location: 550 CAMINO EL ESTERO STE 103; Private, not-for-profit; Offers Master's degree)
- DEFENSE LANGUAGE INSTITUTE (Location: PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY; Public; Website: www.dli.army.mil)
- MONTEREY COLLEGE OF LAW (Location: 404 W FRANKLIN ST; Private, not-for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Monterey:
- CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY-MONTEREY BAY (about 5 miles; SEASIDE, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,383)
- HARTNELL COLLEGE (about 17 miles; SALINAS, CA; FT enrollment: 4,003)
- CABRILLO COLLEGE (about 27 miles; APTOS, CA; FT enrollment: 6,638)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-SANTA CRUZ (about 30 miles; SANTA CRUZ, CA; FT enrollment: 11,773)
- GAVILAN COLLEGE (about 37 miles; GILROY, CA; FT enrollment: 2,791)
- SAN JOSE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; SAN JOSE, CA; FT enrollment: 20,861)
- SANTA CLARA UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; SANTA CLARA, CA; FT enrollment: 6,229)
Public high schools in Monterey:
- MONTEREY HIGH (Students: 1,448; Location: 101 HERRMANN DR.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- CYPRESS GROVE CHARTER HIGH SCHOOL FOR ARTS AND SCI (Students: 134; Location: 700 PACIFIC STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Monterey:
- SANTA CATALINA (Students: 575; Location: 1500 MARK THOMAS DR; Grades: PK - 12)
- YORK SCHOOL (Students: 217; Location: 9501 YORK RD; Grades: 8 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Monterey:
- COLTON (WALTER) MIDDLE (Students: 726; Location: 100 TODA VISTA DR.; Grades: 06 - 08)
- LA MESA ELEMENTARY (Students: 551; Location: SYLVAN ROAD; Grades: KG - 05)
- FOOTHILL ELEMENTARY (Students: 461; Location: 1700 VIA CASOLI; Grades: KG - 05)
- MONTE VISTA ELEMENTARY (Students: 422; Location: 251 SOLEDAD DR.; Grades: KG - 05)
- BAY VIEW ELEMENTARY (Students: 314; Location: 680 BELDEN; Grades: KG - 05)
- INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF MONTEREY (Students: 144; Location: 190 SEENO STREET; Grades: KG - 06)
Private primary/middle schools in Monterey:
- SAN CARLOS SCHOOL (Students: 312; Location: 450 CHURCH STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- KINDERHAUS MONTESSORI SCHOOL (Students: 42; Location: 501 EL DORADO STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Monterey:
- MONTEREY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $2,287,997; Location: 625 PACIFIC ST.; 110,142 books; 4,470 audio materials; 2,340 video materials; 415 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Monterey: Monterey Marina (A), Fishermans Wharf (B), Retreat (C), Vizcaino-Serra Landing (D), United States Navy Golf Course (E), California Division of Forestry (F), Coast Guard Pier (G), Garden House (H), Stokes Adobe (I), Custom House (J), Colton Hall (K), Colton Hall Museum Library (L), Doud House (M), Community Hospital of Monterey Medical Staff Library (N), House of the Four Winds (O), Perry House (P), El Castillo (Q), Barnet J Segal Building Library (R), Monterey Youth Center (S), Monterey Public Library (T).
Shopping Center: Del Monte Shopping Center (1).
Churches in Monterey include: Templo El Aposento Alto Asambleas De Dios (A), Unity Church of Monterey (B), Enchanted Angels Church (C), Bethlehem Lutheran Church of Monterey (D), Living Hope Nazarene Church (E), Islamic Society of Monterey County (F), First Baptist Church (G), First Church of Christ Scientist (H).
Cemeteries: El Encinal Cemetery (1), San Carlos Cemetery (2), Saint Johns Cemetery (3).
Lakes: Estero, El (A), Del Monte Lake (B).
Parks in Monterey include: Monterey State Beach (1), Monterey State Historical Park (2), Dennis the Menace Playground (3), Custom House Plaza (4), Fishermans Shoreline Park (5), Via Paraiso Park (6), Veterans Memorial Park (7), Cannery Row Park Plaza (8), Friendly Plaza (9).
Beaches: Aeneas Beach (A), Del Monte Beach (B), San Carlos Beach (C).
Post office: (A).
Monterey compared to California state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Monterey:
- KNRY (1240 AM; 1 kW; MONTEREY, CA; Owner: PEOPLE'S RADIO, INC.)
- KRML (1410 AM; 3 kW; CARMEL, CA; Owner: WISDOM BROADCASTING CO, INC.)
- KYAA (1200 AM; 25 kW; SOQUEL, CA; Owner: PEOPLE'S RADIO, INC.)
- KSRK (540 AM; 10 kW; CARMEL VALLEY, CA; Owner: PEOPLE'S RADIO, INC.)
- KDBV (980 AM; 10 kW; SALINAS, CA; Owner: WOLFHOUSE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KIDD (630 AM; 1 kW; MONTEREY, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KLOK (1170 AM; 50 kW; SAN JOSE, CA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KNBR (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; Owner: KNBR LICO, INC.)
- KSCO (1080 AM; 10 kW; SANTA CRUZ, CA)
- KGO (810 AM; 50 kW; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; Owner: KGO-AM RADIO, INC.)
- KION (1460 AM; 10 kW; SALINAS, CA)
- KKMC (880 AM; 10 kW; GONZALES, CA; Owner: MONTEREY COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- KTOM (1380 AM; 5 kW; SALINAS, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Monterey:
- KMBY-FM (103.9 FM; SEASIDE, CA; Owner: MAPLETON COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KSPB (91.9 FM; PEBBLE BEACH, CA; Owner: ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON SCHOOL)
- KUSP (88.9 FM; SANTA CRUZ, CA; Owner: PATAPHYSICAL B/CING. FOUNDATION,INC.)
- K260AA (99.9 FM; CARMEL VALLEY, CA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KWAV (96.9 FM; MONTEREY, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING OF MONTEREY)
- KTOM-FM (100.7 FM; SALINAS, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- K291AE (106.1 FM; SEASIDE, CA; Owner: MAPELTON COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KBOQ (95.5 FM; CARMEL, CA; Owner: J & M BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KMJO (92.7 FM; MARINA, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KSES-FM (107.1 FM; SEASIDE, CA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KAZU (90.3 FM; PACIFIC GROVE, CA; Owner: FOUNDATION OF CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, MONTEREY BAY)
- KCDU (101.7 FM; CARMEL, CA; Owner: MAPLETON COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
- KOCN (105.1 FM; PACIFIC GROVE, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KDON-FM (102.5 FM; SALINAS, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- K202DU (88.3 FM; SAN JUAN BAUTISTA, CA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KBTU (93.5 FM; HOLLISTER, CA; Owner: MAPLETON COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
- KLVM (89.7 FM; PRUNEDALE, CA; Owner: PRUNEDALE EDUCATIONAL ASSOCIATION)
- KSQL (99.1 FM; SANTA CRUZ, CA; Owner: TMS LICENSE CALIFORNIA, INC)
- KKUP (91.5 FM; CUPERTINO, CA; Owner: ASSURANCE SCIENCES FOUNDATION)
- KBRG (100.3 FM; SAN JOSE, CA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Monterey:
- K53DT (Channel 53; MONTEREY, CA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- KION-TV (Channel 46; MONTEREY, CA; Owner: ACKERLEY MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.