Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 13,922. Estimated population in July 2005: 15,501 (+11.3% change)
Males: 7,102 (51.0%), Females: 6,820 (49.0%)
La Plata County
Median resident age: 29.2 years
Median household income: $34,892 (year 2000)
Median house value: $185,200 (year 2000)
Durango, CO residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Durango:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (81.7%)
- Hispanic (10.3%)
- American Indian (6.5%)
- Other race (4.1%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
- Black (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (21.6%), Irish (14.1%), English (14.0%), Italian (5.0%), United States (4.0%), Scottish (4.0%).Colorado
Elevation: 6523 feet
Land area: 6.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Durango
- High school or higher: 90.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 43.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 14.6%
- Unemployed: 7.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 13.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Durango city
- Never married: 43.6%
- Now married: 38.6%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 4.8%
- Divorced: 11.4%
2.7% Foreign born (1.3% Latin America, 0.5% Europe, 0.5% Asia, 0.3% Africa).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,161 (+9.1%).
to Durango? - Real Estate Buyer Broker will help you find your dream home />
Lodging - comfortable and clean. Only 0.7 miles from train station. />
Gage Inn Yosemite - Lodging, Fine Dining. Conveniently Reserve Online Today! />
/on D&S Main Line - in Suite in Private home with other narrow gauge railfans. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Rancho, NM (160.6 miles Rio pop. 51,765).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NM Albuquerque, (173.2 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: AZ Phoenix, (388.3 miles pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: CO (19.0 miles Bayfield, CO Ignacio, (19.7 miles CO Mancos, (29.3 miles CO Rico, (30.6 miles NM Aztec, (32.4 miles CO Arboles, (35.7 miles Vista, NM (36.0 miles Flora CO Silverton, (39.6 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 35 buildings, average cost: $167,900
- 1997: 27 buildings, average cost: $157,400
- 1998: 51 buildings, average cost: $108,300
- 1999: 56 buildings, average cost: $175,600
- 2000: 59 buildings, average cost: $182,000
- 2001: 51 buildings, average cost: $222,000
- 2002: 80 buildings, average cost: $181,500
- 2003: 227 buildings, average cost: $140,600
- 2004: 189 buildings, average cost: $173,100
Latitude: 37.28 N, Longitude: 107.87 W
Area code: 970
Durango, Colorado business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (24.9%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (19.7%), Retail trade (11.9%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (11.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +7,445 (+53.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 5,806 (80.2%)
Crime in Durango by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||7.2 |
|Rapes ||20 ||12 ||17 ||21 ||4 ||7 |
| per 100,000 ||143.7 ||86.2 ||122.1 ||150.8 ||28.7 ||50.3 |
|Robberies ||1 ||5 ||7 ||8 ||4 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||7.2 ||35.9 ||50.3 ||57.5 ||28.7 ||28.7 |
|Assaults ||31 ||50 ||13 ||25 ||30 ||26 |
| per 100,000 ||222.7 ||359.1 ||93.4 ||179.6 ||215.5 ||186.8 |
|Burglaries ||110 ||114 ||106 ||99 ||103 ||92 |
| per 100,000 ||790.1 ||818.8 ||761.4 ||711.1 ||739.8 ||660.8 |
|Thefts ||824 ||785 ||740 ||887 ||775 ||690 |
| per 100,000 ||5918.7 ||5638.6 ||5315.3 ||6371.2 ||5566.7 ||4956.2 |
|Auto thefts ||34 ||19 ||41 ||34 ||52 ||43 |
| per 100,000 ||244.2 ||136.5 ||294.5 ||244.2 ||373.5 ||308.9 |
| ||415.7 ||410.9 ||372.1 ||437.7 ||367.5 ||342.5 |
Average climate in Durango, Colorado
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Main business address for: GOLF HOST RESORTS INC (HOTELS & MOTELS), ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHOCOLATE FACTORY INC (SUGAR & CONFECTIONERY PRODUCTS).
Hospital/medical center in Durango:
- MERCY MEDICAL CENTER OF DURANGO (375 E PARK AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Durango:
- LIFECOURSE CENTER FOR REHAB SERVICES (about 51 miles; FARMINGTON, NM)
- SAN JUAN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 51 miles; FARMINGTON, NM)
- SOUTHWEST HEALTH SYSTEM INC (about 51 miles; CORTEZ, CO)
Political contributions by individuals in Durango, CO
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Durango:
- DURANGO-LA PLATA COUNTY (about 13 miles; DURANGO, CO; ID: DRO)
- FOUR CORNERS REGIONAL (about 45 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; ID: FMN)
- TELLURIDE REGIONAL (about 47 miles; TELLURIDE, CO; ID: TEX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Durango:
- ANIMAS AIR PARK (about 6 miles; DURANGO, CO; ID: 00C)
- AZTEC MUNI (about 33 miles; AZTEC, NM; ID: Q19)
- NAVAJO STATE PARK (about 37 miles; NAVAJO DAM, NM; ID: 1V0)
Local government website:
Colleges/Universities in Durango:
- FORT LEWIS COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 4,051; Location: 1000 RIM DRIVE; Public; Website: www.fortlewis.edu)
- JONES REAL ESTATE COLLEGES INC (Location: 172 RIVERVIEW DR; Private, for-profit)
- DURANGO AIR SERVICE INC (Location: 1340 AIRPORT RD; Private, for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Durango:
- SAN JUAN COLLEGE (about 39 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
- WESTERN STATE COLLEGE COLORADO (about 118 miles; GUNNISON, CO; FT enrollment: 2,199)
- MESA STATE COLLEGE (about 132 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; FT enrollment: 4,415)
- ADAMS STATE COLLEGE (about 139 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; FT enrollment: 4,147)
- COLORADO MOUNTAIN COLLEGE (about 159 miles; GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO; FT enrollment: 3,400)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 172 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; FT enrollment: 3,261)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 175 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; FT enrollment: 9,188)
Public high school in Durango:
- DURANGO HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,510; Location: 2390 MAIN AVENUE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Durango:
- COLORADO TIMBERLINE ACADEMY (Students: 26; Location: 35554 US HIGHWAY 550; Grades: 9 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Durango:
- MILLER MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 531; Location: 2608 JUNCTION STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- ESCALANTE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 502; Location: 141 BAKER LANE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- NEEDHAM ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 467; Location: 2425 WEST THIRD AVENUE; Grades: PK - 05)
- RIVERVIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 365; Location: 2900 MESA AVENUE; Grades: PK - 05)
- PARK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 325; Location: 623 EAST 5TH STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- FLORIDA MESA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 303; Location: 216 HIGHWAY 172; Grades: PK - 05)
- ANIMAS VALLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 207; Location: 373 HERMOSA MEADOWS ROAD; Grades: PK - 05)
- THE EXCEL CHARTER SCHOOL (Students: 112; Location: 215 EAST 12TH STREET; Grades: 06 - 12)
- SUNNYSIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 111; Location: 75 CR 218; Grades: PK - 05)
- DURANGO SECOND CHANCE (Students: 48; Location: 301 EAST 12TH STREET; Grades: 06 - 12)
Private primary/middle schools in Durango:
- ST COLUMBA (Students: 253; Location: 1801 EAST THIRD AVE; Grades: PK - 8)
- DURANGO EARLY LEARNING CENTER (Students: 67; Location: 890 EAST THIRD AVE; Grades: PK - 3)
- NEW LIFE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 60; Location: 860 PLYMOUTH DRIVE; Grades: KG - 8)
- COLUMBINE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 37; Location: 1775 COUNTY ROAD 240; Grades: KG - 8)
Library in Durango:
- DURANGO PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,029,986; Location: 1188 E SECOND AVE; 82,548 books; 2,720 audio materials; 1,231 video materials; 168 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Durango: La Plata County Fairgrounds (A), Municipal Center Building (B), Mears Hall (C), La Plata County Courthouse (D), Fort Lewis College Natorium (E), Mason Center (F), Fort Lewis College Field House (G), Crofton Hall (H), John F Reed Library (I), Durango Public Library (J), Camp Hall (K), Miller Student Center (L), Dan Noble Hall (M), Snyder Hall (N), Hesperus Hall (O), Fifty-five Plus Center (P), Animas Museum (Q), Mercy Manor (R), City of Durango Police Department (S).
Shopping Centers: College Plaza Shopping Center (1), Durango Mall (2), Town Plaza Shopping Center (3), Centennial Center Shopping Center (4).
Churches in Durango include: Calvary Assembly of God Church (A), Foursquare Gospel Church (B), First Southern Baptist Church (C), New Life Chapel (D), First Presbyterian Church (E), Durango Christian Church (F), Unitarian Fellowship Church (G), Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (H).
Cemeteries: Greenmount Cemetery (1), Green Mountain Cemetery (2).
Lakes and reservoirs: Huck Finn Pond (A), Durango Regulatory Reservoir (B).
Creeks: Junction Creek (A), Lightner Creek (B).
Parks in Durango include: Claire Viles Park (1), Memorial Park Phase II (2), Memorial Park Phase One (3), Schneider Park (4), Roosa Park (5), Janson Memorial Playground (6), Rotary Park (7), Municipal Swimming Pool (8), Buckley Park (9).
Durango compared to Colorado state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- House age below state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Durango:
- KIUP (930 AM; 5 kW; DURANGO, CO; Owner: FOUR CORNERS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KDGO (1240 AM; 1 kW; DURANGO, CO; Owner: WINTON ROAD BROADCASTING CO, LLC)
- KLLV (550 AM; daytime; 2 kW; BREEN, CO; Owner: DAYSTAR RADIO, LTD.)
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KENN (1390 AM; 10 kW; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: WINTON ROAD BROADCASTING CO, LLC)
- KRZE (1280 AM; 5 kW; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: J. THOMAS DEVELOPMENT OF NM, INC.)
- KNZZ (1100 AM; 50 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: M B C GRAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KHAC (880 AM; 43 kW; TSE BONITO, NM; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KNDN (960 AM; 5 kW; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: BASIN BROADCASTING CO.)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KUBC (580 AM; 5 kW; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: WOODLAND COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Durango:
- KIQX (101.3 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: FOUR CORNERS BROADCASTINGS, LLC)
- KPTE (99.7 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: WINTON ROAD BROADCASTING CO, LLC)
- KRSJ (100.5 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: FOUR CORNERS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- K249DE (97.7 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: WINTON ROAD BROADCASTING CO, LLC)
- KUTE (90.1 FM; IGNACIO, CO; Owner: KUTE, INC.)
- KDUR (91.9 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES FOR FORT LEWIS COLLEGE)
- K210BA (89.9 FM; PURGATORY, ETC., CO; Owner: KUTE, INC.)
- K294AJ (106.7 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- K299AJ (107.7 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- K232DA (94.3 FM; HESPERUS, CO; Owner: NATIVE AMERICAN CHRISTIAN VOICE, INC.)
- K237CR (95.3 FM; HESPERUS, CO; Owner: NATIVE AMERICAN CHRISTIAN VOICE, INC.)
- K290AD (105.9 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: PROCLAIMING CHRIST'S LOVE MINISTRIES)
- K242AJ (96.3 FM; MANCOS, CO; Owner: SOUTHWEST COLORADO TV TRANSLATOR. ASSOCIATION)
- K265DC (100.9 FM; CORTEZ, ETC., CO; Owner: NAVAJO MISSIONS, INC.)
- K281AC (104.1 FM; MANCOS, CO; Owner: SOUTHWEST COLORADO TV TRANSLATOR. ASSOCIATION)
- KISZ-FM (97.9 FM; CORTEZ, CO; Owner: WINTON ROAD BROADCASTING CO, LLC)
- KRTZ (98.7 FM; CORTEZ, CO; Owner: WINTON ROAD BROADCASTING CO., LLC)
- KDAG (96.9 FM; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KAZX (102.9 FM; KIRTLAND, NM; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KTRA-FM (102.1 FM; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Durango:
- KTLL-TV (Channel 33; DURANGO, CO; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
- KREZ-TV (Channel 6; DURANGO, CO; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION)
- K39AH (Channel 39; DURANGO, CO; Owner: RAYCOM NATIONAL, INC.)
- K29CZ (Channel 29; DURANGO, CO; Owner: ROCKY MOUNTAIN PUBLIC BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- K68AZ (Channel 68; DURANGO/HERMOSA, CO; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION)
- K45DH (Channel 45; DURANGO, CO; Owner: KOAT HEARST-ARGYLE TELEVISION, INC.)
- K25GE (Channel 25; DURANGO, CO; Owner: KOB-TV, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.