Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 19,607. Estimated population in July 2005: 20,452 (+4.3% change)
Males: 9,615 (49.0%), Females: 9,992 (51.0%)
Median resident age: 38.0 years
Median household income: $146,755 (year 2000)
Median house value: $711,000 (year 2000)
Darien, CT residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Darien:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.1%)
- Hispanic (2.2%)
- Japanese (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Chinese (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (23.8%), English (21.6%), German (16.6%), Italian (15.0%), Scottish (5.2%), United States (4.2%).Connecticut
Elevation: 60 feet
Land area: 12.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Darien
- High school or higher: 95.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 70.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 30.3%
- Unemployed: 1.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 36.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Darien town
- Never married: 16.0%
- Now married: 73.3%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 4.1%
10.5% Foreign born (4.9% Europe, 2.7% Asia, 1.2% Latin America, 1.1% North America).
Connecticut - cheap hotels, maps, attractions & tours - Yahoo! Travel />
Connecticut Hotel - Million Reviews on Hotels Right at Your Fingertips! />
Real Estate - 1000s of properties for sale or lease in Fairfield County. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: CT Stamford, (4.0 miles www.TripAdvisor.com )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Bay, NY (14.8 miles Oyster pop. 293,925).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (39.4 miles travel.Yahoo.com )
Nearest cities: CT (0.0 miles Darien, CT Stamford, (4.0 miles CT (4.8 miles Norwalk, Canaan, CT (5.0 miles New CT (5.4 miles Roxbury, CT (8.8 miles Wilton,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 15 buildings, average cost: $372,200
- 1997: 27 buildings, average cost: $379,700
- 1998: 26 buildings, average cost: $575,700
- 1999: 32 buildings, average cost: $678,800
- 2000: 48 buildings, average cost: $841,800
- 2001: 42 buildings, average cost: $895,800
- 2002: 32 buildings, average cost: $1,074,800
- 2003: 30 buildings, average cost: $968,700
- 2004: 46 buildings, average cost: $1,110,000
Latitude: 41.08 N, Longitude: 73.48 W
Area code: 203
Darien, Connecticut business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (27.2%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (19.8%), Educational,health and social services (13.9%).
Crime in Darien by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||5.1 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||0 ||0 ||0 ||1 ||1 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||5.1 ||5.1 ||0.0 |
|Robberies ||0 ||8 ||1 ||3 ||6 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||40.8 ||5.1 ||15.3 ||30.6 ||10.2 |
|Assaults ||2 ||1 ||3 ||1 ||5 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||10.2 ||5.1 ||15.3 ||5.1 ||25.5 ||5.1 |
|Burglaries ||55 ||52 ||39 ||25 ||35 ||34 |
| per 100,000 ||280.5 ||265.2 ||198.9 ||127.5 ||178.5 ||173.4 |
|Thefts ||184 ||179 ||172 ||122 ||149 ||166 |
| per 100,000 ||938.4 ||912.9 ||877.2 ||622.2 ||759.9 ||846.6 |
|Auto thefts ||20 ||56 ||18 ||13 ||9 ||13 |
| per 100,000 ||102.0 ||285.6 ||91.8 ||66.3 ||45.9 ||66.3 |
| ||72.5 ||91.2 ||60.9 ||46.8 ||62.9 ||55.4 |
Average climate in Darien, Connecticut
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Darien-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Connecticut state average. It is 37% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 42.2 miles away from the Darien city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 7/19/1971, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 4.0 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Main business address for: JUPITERMEDIA CORP (SERVICES-BUSINESS SERVICES, NEC).
Hospitals/medical centers near Darien:
- NORWALK HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION (about 5 miles; NORWALK, CT)
- SILVER HILL HOSPITAL INC (about 6 miles; NEW CANAAN, CT)
- HALL-BROOKE HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; WESTPORT, CT)
Political contributions by individuals in Darien, CT
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Darien:
- WESTCHESTER COUNTY (about 16 miles; WHITE PLAINS, NY; ID: HPN)
- DANBURY MUNI (about 21 miles; DANBURY, CT; ID: DXR)
- REPUBLIC (about 26 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; ID: FRG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Darien:
- SANDS POINT (about 23 miles; PORT WASHINGTON, NY; ID: 7N3)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 26 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; ID: BDR)
- EVERS (about 28 miles; NEW YORK, NY; ID: 6N6)
Amtrak station near Darien:
- 5 miles: STAMFORD (WASHINGTON BLVD. & E. STATE ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Darien:
- NORWALK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 4 miles; NORWALK, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,772)
- SUNY COLLEGE AT PURCHASE (about 17 miles; PURCHASE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,517)
- FAIRFIELD UNIVERSITY (about 17 miles; FAIRFIELD, CT; FT enrollment: 4,197)
- UNIVERSITY OF BRIDGEPORT (about 19 miles; Bridgeport, CT; FT enrollment: 2,162)
- SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; FAIRFIELD, CT; FT enrollment: 4,120)
- SUNY WESTCHESTER COMMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; VALHALLA, NY; FT enrollment: 6,730)
- LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY-C W POST CAMPUS (about 21 miles; BROOKVILLE, NY; FT enrollment: 6,605)
Public high school in Darien:
- DARIEN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 957; Location: 80 HIGH SCHOOL LN.; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Darien:
- MIDDLESEX MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 978; Location: 204 HOLLOW TREE RIDGE RD.; Grades: 06 - 08)
- OX RIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 522; Location: 395 MANSFIELD AVE.; Grades: KG - 05)
- HINDLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 494; Location: 10 NEARWATER LN.; Grades: PK - 05)
- TOKENEKE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 441; Location: 7 OLD FARM RD.; Grades: KG - 05)
- HOLMES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 438; Location: 18 HOYT ST.; Grades: KG - 05)
- ROYLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 433; Location: 133 MANSFIELD AVE.; Grades: KG - 05)
- HOMEBOUND (Location: 2 RENSHAW ROAD; Grades: PK - 12)
Private primary/middle school in Darien:
- PEAR TREE POINT SCHOOL (Students: 195; Location: 90 PEAR TREE POINT ROAD; Grades: PK - 5)
Library in Darien:
- DARIEN LIBRARY (Operating income: $2,586,043; Location: 35 LEROY AVE.; 147,732 books; 9,191 audio materials; 5,928 video materials; 394 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Darien: Ox Ridge Hunt Club (A), Country Club of Darien (B), Darien Station (C), Wee Burn Country Club (D), Woodway Country Club (E), Connecticut Graphis Arts Center and Museum (F), Noroton Town Hall (G), Noroton Presbyterian Church Library (H), Darien Library (I), Bates Scofield House (J), YMCA (K).
Shopping Centers: Noroton Heights Shopping Center (1), Darien Shopping Center (2), Goodwives Shopping Plaza Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Darien include: Saint Jeromes Church (A), Saint Johns Church of Darien (B), Saint Lukes Episcopal Church (C), Saint Pauls Episcopal Church (D), Saint Thomas More Church (E), Talmadge Hill Chapel (F), First Congregational Church (G), New Life Christian Fellowship (H).
Cemeteries: Leads Cemetery (1), Spring Grove Cemetery (2), Hoyt Cemetery (3), Waterbury Cemetery (4), Weed Cemetery (5), Saint Johns Cemetery (6), Stevens Cemetery (7).
Lakes and reservoirs: Streets Pond (A), Gorhams Pond (B), Holly Pond (C), Chasmars Pond (D), Mathers Pond (E), Chalmers Pond (F), Woodway Golf Club Pond (G).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Stony Brook (A), Keelers Brook (B), Goodwives River (C).
Parks in Darien include: Tilley Pond Park (1), Cherry Lawn Park (2), Sleepy Hollow Park (3), Baker Park (4), McGuane Field (5), Boston Post Road Historic District (6), Woodland Park (7), Stony Brook Park (8), Mather Fields (9).
Beaches: Rowayton Community Beach (A), Pear Tree Point Beach (B).
Post office: (A).
Darien compared to Connecticut state average:
- Median household income significantly above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Darien:
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSTC (1400 AM; 1 kW; STAMFORD, CT; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WNLK (1350 AM; 1 kW; NORWALK, CT; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WQEW (1560 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WADO (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Darien:
- WKHL (96.7 FM; STAMFORD, CT; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WEDW-FM (88.5 FM; STAMFORD, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC)
- WEFX (95.9 FM; NORWALK, CT; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WFAF (106.3 FM; MOUNT KISCO, NY; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WPLJ (95.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPLJ-FM RADIO, INC.)
- WKCR-FM (89.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: TRUSTEES OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY IN NEW YORK)
- WSLX (91.9 FM; NEW CANAAN, CT; Owner: ST. LUKE'S FOUNDATION, INC.)
- W211AI (90.1 FM; STAMFORD, CT; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WKTU (103.5 FM; LAKE SUCCESS, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WXPK (107.1 FM; BRIARCLIFF MANOR, NY; Owner: NASSAU BROADCASTING HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WQCD (101.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WDAQ (98.3 FM; DANBURY, CT; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WFAS-FM (103.9 FM; WHITE PLAINS, NY; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WAXQ (104.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
- WHTZ (100.3 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WWPR-FM (105.1 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCAA (105.9 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP. ("WADO"))
- WBAI (99.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PACIFICA FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WBLS (107.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ICBC BROADCAST HOLDINGS-NY, INC.)
- WLTW (106.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Darien:
- W27CD (Channel 27; STAMFORD, CT; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WABC-TV (Channel 7; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING COMPANIES, INC)
- WPIX (Channel 11; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPIX, INC.)
- WWOR-TV (Channel 9; SECAUCUS, NJ; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- W17CD (Channel 17; STAMFORD, CT; Owner: it COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WXNY-LP (Channel 32; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNJU (Channel 47; LINDEN, NJ; Owner: WNJU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WFUT (Channel 68; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WNBC (Channel 4; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNET (Channel 13; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXTV (Channel 41; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WXTV LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, G.P.)
- WNYE-TV (Channel 25; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WKOB-LP (Channel 53; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WKOB COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEBR-CA (Channel 17; MANHATTAN, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WRNN-LP (Channel 57; NYACK, NY; Owner: LP NYACK LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W38CL (Channel 38; BRONX, NY; Owner: RENARD COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- W68DN (Channel 68; CHERRY HILL, ETC., NJ; Owner: MARCIA COHEN)
- W60AI (Channel 60; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- WEDW (Channel 49; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLIW (Channel 21; GARDEN CITY, NY; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.