Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 39,907. Estimated population in July 2005: 41,366 (+3.7% change)
Males: 20,414 (51.2%), Females: 19,493 (48.8%)
New London County
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 32.5 years
Median household income: $46,154 (year 2000)
Median house value: $140,400 (year 2000)
Groton, CT residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Groton:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (81.3%)
- Black (7.0%)
- Hispanic (5.0%)
- Two or more races (3.5%)
- American Indian (2.0%)
- Other race (1.7%)
- Filipino (1.4%)
- Asian Indian (0.7%)
- Chinese (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (18.4%), German (15.4%), English (14.4%), Italian (11.7%), French (5.9%), United States (5.4%).Connecticut
Elevation: 75 feet
Land area: 3.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Groton
- High school or higher: 88.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 26.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.4%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 17.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Groton town
- Never married: 25.9%
- Now married: 55.3%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 6.3%
- Divorced: 10.5%
5.6% Foreign born (2.4% Asia, 1.6% Europe, 1.1% Latin America).
with Rent.com - Groton CT apartments Report your lease and get $100. />
Marriott Hotel - & meeting space in Hartford. Perfect for weddings & conventions. />
& Stonington Homes - Real Estate services for Connecticut and Rhode Island />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NY Southampton, (38.7 miles www.HartfordMarriott.com )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY (70.1 miles Brookhaven, pop. 448,248).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (134.3 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: CT Groton, (0.0 miles Hill, CT (1.3 miles Long London, CT New (2.1 miles Towers-Nautilus Park, CT (2.6 miles Conning Bridge, CT (3.2 miles Poquonock Waterford, CT (4.1 miles Central Long Point, CT (5.0 miles Groton
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 59 buildings, average cost: $93,800
- 1997: 60 buildings, average cost: $95,400
- 1999: 120 buildings, average cost: $109,700
- 2004: 42 buildings, average cost: $176,600
Latitude: 41.35 N, Longitude: 72.07 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 860
Groton, Connecticut business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (19.3%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (17.6%), Manufacturing (17.2%), Retail trade (10.9%).
Average climate in Groton, Connecticut
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Groton-area historical tornado activity is below Connecticut state average. It is 49% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/21/1951, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 33.5 miles away from the Groton city center injured 8 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 10/3/1979, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 55.2 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Pierre Thuot - astronaut, Silas Deane - (1737-1789), politician and diplomat..
Hospitals/medical centers near Groton:
- LAWRENCE & MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; NEW LONDON, CT)
- WILLIAM W BACKUS HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; NORWICH, CT)
- WESTERLY HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; WESTERLY, RI)
Political contributions by individuals in Groton, CT
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Groton:
- GROTON-NEW LONDON (about 4 miles; GROTON NEW LONDON, CT; ID: GON)
- HARTFORD-BRAINARD (about 48 miles; HARTFORD, CT; ID: HFD)
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 53 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; ID: PVD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Groton:
- ELIZABETH FIELD (about 8 miles; FISHERS ISLAND, NY; ID: 0B8)
- WESTERLY STATE (about 19 miles; WESTERLY, RI; ID: WST)
- MONTAUK (about 22 miles; MONTAUK, NY; ID: MTP)
Amtrak stations near Groton:
- 2 miles: NEW LONDON (27 WATER ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 8 miles: MYSTIC (RTE. 1). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 11 miles: FOXWOOD CASINO (LEDYARD, ROUTE 2) - Bus Station
Colleges/Universities in Groton:
- UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT-AVERY POINT (Full-time enrollment: 456; Location: 1084 SHENNECOSSETT RD; Public; Website: www.uconn.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- ELLA T GRASSO SOUTHEASTERN VOCATIONAL TECHN SCHOOL (Location: 189 FT HILL RD; Public)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Groton:
- EASTERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 28 miles; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Full-time enrollment: 4,165)
- UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT (about 35 miles; STORRS, CT; FT enrollment: 16,952)
- UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND (about 39 miles; KINGSTON, RI; FT enrollment: 11,759)
- WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; MIDDLETOWN, CT; FT enrollment: 2,993)
- SUNY AT STONY BROOK (about 49 miles; STONY BROOK, NY; FT enrollment: 16,829)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 50 miles; WARWICK, RI; FT enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 50 miles; WARWICK, RI; FT enrollment: 2,419)
Public high schools in Groton:
- FITCH SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,392; Location: 101 GROTON LONG POINT RD.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- ELLA T. GRASSO SOUTHEASTERN (Students: 707; Location: 189 FORT HILL RD.; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Groton:
- FITCH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 519; Location: 61 FORT HILL RD.; Grades: 06 - 08)
- EASTERN POINT SCHOOL (Students: 434; Location: 130 SHENNECOSSETT RD.; Grades: PK - 05)
- CHARLES BARNUM SCHOOL (Students: 407; Location: 68 BRIAR HILL RD.; Grades: PK - 05)
- CLAUDE CHESTER SCHOOL (Students: 400; Location: 1 HARRY DAY DR.; Grades: PK - 05)
- MARY MORRISSON SCHOOL (Students: 398; Location: 154 TOLL GATE ST.; Grades: PK - 05)
- PLEASANT VALLEY SCHOOL (Students: 364; Location: 380 PLEASANT VALLEY RD. SOUTH; Grades: PK - 05)
- WEST SIDE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 324; Location: 250 BRANDEGEE AVE.; Grades: 06 - 12)
- COLONEL LEDYARD SCHOOL (Students: 153; Location: 120 WEST ST.; Grades: PK - 02)
- GROTON HEIGHTS SCHOOL (Students: 126; Location: 244 MONUMENT ST.; Grades: 03 - 05)
Private primary/middle school in Groton:
- BRIGHT HORIZONS CHILD'S CTR-GR (Students: 115; Location: 52 SACRED HEART DRIVE; Grades: PK - KG)
Libraries in Groton:
- GROTON PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,883,279; Location: 52 ROUTE 117, NEW TOWN RD.; 107,296 books; 5,738 audio materials; 5,645 video materials; 307 serial subscriptions)
- MYSTIC & NOANK LIBRARY (Operating income: $340,103; Location: 40 LIBRARY ST.; 42,319 books; 2,078 audio materials; 2,039 video materials; 159 serial subscriptions)
- BILL MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $134,108; Location: 240 MONUMENT ST.; 21,000 books; 150 audio materials; 100 video materials; 60 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Groton: Shennecossett Country Club (A), Groton Balle Museum (B), Groton City Municipal Building (C), Avery House (D), Bill Memorial Library (E), US Coast Guard Research and Development Technical Library (F).
Shopping Center: Bridge Plaza Shopping Center (1).
Churches in Groton include: Rock of Salvation Church (A), Sacred Heart Church (B), Saint Johns Christian Church (C), Groton Church of the Nazarene (D), Groton Heights Baptist Church (E), First Church of Christ (F).
Cemetery: Col Ledyard Cemetery (1).
Lakes and swamps: George, Lake (A), Birch Plain Creek Tidal Marsh (B).
Creek: Birch Plain Creek (A).
Parks in Groton include: Washington Park (1), Birch Plain Creek (2), Fort Griswold State Park (3), United States Submarine World War II Veterans Memorial East (4), Groton Monument (5), Groton Bank Historic District (6), USS Croaker Memorial (7).
Beach: Shennecossett Beach (A).
Post office: (A).
Groton compared to Connecticut state average:
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Groton:
- WSUB (980 AM; 1 kW; GROTON, CT; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WICH (1310 AM; 5 kW; NORWICH, CT; Owner: WICH, INCORPORATED)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WLIS (1420 AM; 5 kW; OLD SAYBROOK, CT; Owner: CROSSROADS COMM. OLD SAYBROOK, LLC)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Groton:
- WQGN-FM (105.5 FM; GROTON, CT; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNLC (98.7 FM; EAST LYME, CT; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- W233AG (94.5 FM; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: MONROE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WCNI (90.9 FM; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT COLLEGE BROADCASTING ASSOCIATION, INC.)
- WBMW (106.5 FM; LEDYARD, CT; Owner: RED WOLF BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCTY (97.7 FM; NORWICH, CT; Owner: WICH, INC.)
- WKNL (100.9 FM; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHJM (107.7 FM; PAWCATUCK, CT; Owner: FULLER BROADCASTING INTERNATIONAL, LLC)
- WXLM (102.3 FM; STONINGTON, CT; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WILI-FM (98.3 FM; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Owner: NUTMEG BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWRX-FM (103.7 FM; WESTERLY, RI; Owner: FNX BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WHBE (96.7 FM; EAST HAMPTON, NY; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WMOS (104.7 FM; MONTAUK, NY; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WECS (90.1 FM; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Owner: EASTERN CONNECTICUT STATE COLLEGE)
- WSUF (89.9 FM; NOYACK, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Groton:
- WHPX (Channel 26; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: PAXSON HARTFORD LICENSE, INC.)
- WEDN (Channel 53; NORWICH, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPXQ (Channel 69; BLOCK ISLAND, RI; Owner: OCEAN STATE TELEVISION, L.L.C.)
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.