Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 121,578. Estimated population in July 2005: 124,397 (+2.3% change)
Males: 58,071 (47.8%), Females: 63,507 (52.2%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 29.7 years
Median household income: $24,820 (year 2000)
Median house value: $93,900 (year 2000)
Hartford, CT residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Hartford:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- Hispanic (40.5%)
- Black (38.1%)
- Other race (26.5%)
- White Non-Hispanic (17.8%)
- Two or more races (5.4%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
- Asian Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: West Indian (8.3%), Italian (3.6%), Irish (2.6%), Polish (2.1%), United States (1.8%), English (1.3%).Connecticut
Elevation: 75 feet
Land area: 17.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Hartford
- High school or higher: 60.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 15.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hartford city
- Never married: 45.2%
- Now married: 32.6%
- Separated: 5.2%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 10.7%
18.6% Foreign born (12.2% Latin America, 4.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -15,718 (-11.4%).
Hotels - Tours, Reviews, Hotel Maps Compare & Save on Hotels Today! />
Sites & Services - website for Connecticut Event Sites and Service Providers />
Newest Hotel - Inn Express and Suites Convention Center. Great rates! />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY (70.0 miles Brookhaven, pop. 448,248).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (111.8 miles )
Nearest cities: CT Hartford, (0.0 miles )
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 4 buildings, average cost: $38,800
- 1997: 29 buildings, average cost: $89,000
- 1998: 64 buildings, average cost: $64,200
- 1999: 30 buildings, average cost: $52,600
- 2000: 11 buildings, average cost: $61,100
- 2001: 14 buildings, average cost: $60,100
- 2002: 34 buildings, average cost: $83,700
- 2003: 87 buildings, average cost: $82,800
- 2004: 33 buildings, average cost: $63,600
Latitude: 41.76 N, Longitude: 72.69 W
Area codes: 860, 959
Hartford, Connecticut business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (22.1%), Manufacturing (11.5%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (10.2%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (10.2%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (10.0%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +65,860 (+54.2%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 18,252 (44.5%)
Crime in Hartford by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||21 ||17 ||25 ||25 ||45 ||16 |
| per 100,000 ||17.3 ||14.0 ||20.6 ||20.6 ||37.0 ||13.2 |
|Rapes ||52 ||53 ||64 ||57 ||64 ||54 |
| per 100,000 ||42.8 ||43.6 ||52.6 ||46.9 ||52.6 ||44.4 |
|Robberies ||765 ||862 ||889 ||891 ||1,024 ||890 |
| per 100,000 ||629.2 ||709.0 ||731.2 ||732.9 ||842.3 ||732.0 |
|Assaults ||647 ||558 ||615 ||574 ||679 ||554 |
| per 100,000 ||532.2 ||459.0 ||505.8 ||472.1 ||558.5 ||455.7 |
|Burglaries ||1,542 ||1,630 ||1,569 ||1,572 ||1,326 ||1,722 |
| per 100,000 ||1268.3 ||1340.7 ||1290.5 ||1293.0 ||1090.7 ||1416.4 |
|Thefts ||5,830 ||6,001 ||5,798 ||5,571 ||6,143 ||6,621 |
| per 100,000 ||4795.3 ||4935.9 ||4769.0 ||4582.2 ||5052.7 ||5445.9 |
|Auto thefts ||1,404 ||2,099 ||1,829 ||2,180 ||2,388 ||2,626 |
| per 100,000 ||1154.8 ||1726.5 ||1504.4 ||1793.1 ||1964.2 ||2159.9 |
| ||702.6 ||765.3 ||763.6 ||770.8 ||858.0 ||831.4 |
Average climate in Hartford, Connecticut
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hartford-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Connecticut state average. It is 2% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/1979, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 8.2 miles away from the Hartford city center killed 3 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 tornado 30.2 miles away from the city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Frederick Law Olmsted - (1822-1900), landscape architect, Katharine Hepburn - (1907-2003), actress, L. Paul Bremer, Barbara McClintock - (1902-1992), biologist, Andrew Pinnock - 2005 NFL player (San Diego Chargers, born: Mar 12, 1980), Dwight Freeney - 2005 NFL player (Indianapolis Colts, born: Feb 19, 1980), Ethan Brooks - 2005 NFL player (New York Jets, born: Apr 27, 1972), John Carney - 2005 NFL player (New Orleans Saints, born: Apr 20, 1964), Marcus Camby - NBA player (Denver Nuggets, born: Mar 22, 1974), Brooke Burke - (born 1971), television personality.
Main business address for: TRAVELERS INSURANCE CO (LIFE INSURANCE), PHOENIX COMPANIES INC/DE (LIFE INSURANCE), ING LIFE INSURANCE & ANNUITY CO (LIFE INSURANCE), HARTFORD FINANCIAL SERVICES GROUP INC/DE (INSURANCE AGENTS BROKERS & SERVICES), TRAVELERS LIFE & ANNUITY CO, TRAVELERS PROPERTY CASUALTY CORP (FIRE, MARINE & CASUALTY INSURANCE), AETNA INC /PA/ (HOSPITAL & MEDICAL SERVICE PLANS), UNITED TECHNOLOGIES CORP /DE/ (AIRCRAFT ENGINES & ENGINE PARTS) and 1 other public companies.
Hospitals/medical centers in Hartford:
- CONNECTICUT CHILDRENS MEDICAL CENTER (282 WASHINGTON STREET)
- HARTFORD HOSPITAL (80 SEYMOUR ST)
- REHABILITATION HOSPITAL OF CT, INC (490 BLUE HILLS AVENUE)
- ST FRANCIS HOSPITAL & MEDICAL CENTER (114 WOODLAND STREET)
Political contributions by individuals in Hartford, CT
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hartford:
- HARTFORD-BRAINARD (about 4 miles; HARTFORD, CT; ID: HFD)
- BRADLEY INTL (about 12 miles; WINDSOR LOCKS, CT; ID: BDL)
- BARNES MUNI (about 27 miles; WESTFIELD/SPRINGFIELD, MA; ID: BAF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hartford:
- SIMSBURY (about 12 miles; SIMSBURY, CT; ID: 4B9)
- ROBERTSON FIELD (about 13 miles; PLAINVILLE, CT; ID: 4B8)
- SKYLARK AIRPARK (about 14 miles; WAREHOUSE POINT, CT; ID: 7B6)
HARTFORD (1 UNION PLACE). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||292 ||$818,966 ||$33,656 ||17 ||$16,494 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||4039 ||$13,662,722 ||$40,592 ||2623 ||$1,215,716 |Colleges/Universities in Hartford:
- TRINITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 2,056; Location: 300 SUMMIT ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.Trincoll.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- CAPITAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 1,401; Location: 61 WOODLAND ST; Public; Website: webster.commnet.edu)
- RENSSELAER HARTFORD GRADUATE CENTER INC (FT enrollment: 751; Location: 275 WINDSOR ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.rh.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- HARTFORD SEMINARY (FT enrollment: 54; Location: 77 SHERMAN ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.hartsem.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
- HARTFORD SCHOOL OF MUSIC (FT enrollment: 41; Location: 834 ASYLUM AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: hartfordconservatory.org)
- SCHOOL OF ALLIED HEALTH (Location: 560 HUDSON ST; Private, not-for-profit)
- DEPARTMENT OF ED HARTFORD HOSP SCH OF ALLIED HLTH (Location: 312 CONKLIN BLDG 80 SEYMOUR ST; Private, not-for-profit)
- WORLDTEK TRAVEL SCHOOL (Location: 40E WESTON; Private, for-profit)
- BOSTON BARTENDERS SCHOOL OF AMERICA (Location: 614 ASYLUM AVE; Private, for-profit)
- HARTFORD AREA TRAINING CENTER (Location: 185 MAIN ST RM 302; Private, not-for-profit)
- ALBERT I PRINCE REGIONAL VOCATIONAL TECHNICAL SCH (Location: 500 BROOKFIELD ST; Public)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Hartford:
- MANCHESTER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 3 miles; MANCHESTER, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,863)
- UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD (about 5 miles; WEST HARTFORD, CT; FT enrollment: 5,557)
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; NEW BRITAIN, CT; FT enrollment: 8,967)
- WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; MIDDLETOWN, CT; FT enrollment: 2,993)
- SPRINGFIELD TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 25 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,026)
- SPRINGFIELD COLLEGE (about 27 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,176)
- WESTERN NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE (about 29 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 3,285)
Public high schools in Hartford:
- BULKELEY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,673; Location: 300 WETHERSFIELD AVE.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- WEAVER HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,264; Location: 415 GRANBY ST.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- HARTFORD PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,182; Location: 55 FOREST ST.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- A. I. PRINCE V-T SCHOOL (Students: 772; Location: 500 BROOKFIELD ST.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- GREATER HARTFORD CLASSICAL MAGNET SCHOOL (Students: 440; Location: 180 BLOOMFIELD AVE.; Grades: 07 - 12)
- SPORT AND MEDICAL SCIENCES ACADEMY (Students: 357; Location: 275 ASYLUM ST.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- HARTFORD COMMUNITY CORRECTIONAL CENTER (Students: 88; Location: 177 WESTON ST.; Grades: 10 - 12)
Private high school in Hartford:
- WATKINSON SCHOOL (Students: 243; Location: 180 BLOOMFIELD AVENUE; Grades: 6 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Hartford:
- QUIRK MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 968; Location: 85 EDWARDS ST.; Grades: 07 - 08)
- M. D. FOX ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 893; Location: 470 MAPLE AVE.; Grades: PK - 05)
- FOX MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 800; Location: 305 GREENFIELD ST.; Grades: 07 - 08)
- KENNELLY SCHOOL (Students: 773; Location: 180 WHITE ST.; Grades: PK - 08)
- M. L. KING SCHOOL (Students: 771; Location: 25 RIDGEFIELD ST.; Grades: PK - 06)
- DR. JOSEPH BELIZZI MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 710; Location: 215 SOUTH ST.; Grades: 06 - 08)
- WEST MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 649; Location: 927 ASYLUM AVE.; Grades: PK - 06)
- BURNS SCHOOL (Students: 629; Location: 195 PUTNAM ST.; Grades: PK - 06)
- FISHER SCHOOL (Students: 603; Location: 280 PLAINFIELD ST.; Grades: PK - 06)
- PARKVILLE COMMUNITY (Students: 601; Location: 1755 PARK ST.; Grades: PK - 06)
Private primary/middle schools in Hartford:
- ST AUGUSTINE SCHOOL (Students: 334; Location: 20 CLIFFORD ST; Grades: PK - 8)
- SS CYRIL - METHODIUS SCHOOL (Students: 238; Location: 35 GROTON STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- HARTFORD SDA AREA SCHOOL (Students: 194; Location: 500 WOODLAND STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- KINGSWOOD OXFORD MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 192; Location: 170 KINGSWOOD RD; Grades: 6 - 8)
- CATHEDRAL SCHOOL (Students: 136; Location: 809 ASYLUM AVENUE; Grades: KG - 6)
- THE GRACE S. WEBB SCHOOL (Students: 95; Location: 400 WASHINGTON ST; Grades: UG - UG)
- TRINITY COLLEGE COMM DC-CAMPUS (Students: 39; Location: C/O 300 SUMMIT STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
- OAK HILL SCHOOL (Students: 29; Location: 120 HOLCOMB STREET; Grades: UG - UG)
- SHILOH CHRISTIAN ACADEMY THE G (Students: 21; Location: 870 PROSPECT AVENUE; Grades: KG - 8)
- GRAY LODGE SCHOOL (Students: 18; Location: 105 SPRING STREET; Grades: 8 - 10; Girls only)
Library in Hartford:
- HARTFORD PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $6,209,142; Location: 500 MAIN ST.; 429,005 books; 21,640 audio materials; 20,850 video materials; 778 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Hartford: North Meadows Industrial Park (A), Artsworks Gallery (B), Lord Corner (C), Terry Square (D), Brainard Industrial Park (E), Goodwin Corner (F), Hartford Union Station (G), Connecticut Historical Museum (H), Connecticut Historical Society Building (I), Connecticut Historical Society Library (J), Frances and C Rollin Zane Library (K), O'Connell Hall (L), Ropkins Branch Hartford Public Library (M), Connecticut State Capitol (N), Connecticut State Capitol Annex (O), Connecticut State Library (P), Connecticut State Office Building (Q), Albany Avenue Branch Hartford Public Library (R), Alfred C Fuller Music Center (S), Raymond E Baldwin Museum of Connecticut History (T).
Shopping Centers: Park Plaza Shopping Center (1), Pavillion at State House Shopping Center (2), Civic Center Mall Shopping Center (3), Pratt Street Shops Shopping Center (4), Pulaskin Mall Shopping Center (5), Bishop Plaza Shopping Center (6), Twin City Shopping Plaza Shopping Center (7).
Churches in Hartford include: Our Lady of Sorrows Church (A), All Saints Orthodox Church (B), Sacred Heart Church (C), Good Shepherd Church (D), Grace Episcopal Church (E), Grace Lutheran Church (F), Grace Tabernacle Church of God (G), Saint Cyril and Saint Methodius Church (H).
Cemeteries: Spring Grove Cemetery (1), Saint Patricks Cemetery (2), Ancient Cemetery (3), Zion Hill Cemetery (4), Old South Cemetery (5), Old North Cemetery (6).
Reservoirs: Lily Pond (A), Bell Pond (B), Keney Park Pond (C).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Park River (A), Meadow Brook (B).
Parks in Hartford include: Aaron Fien Square (1), Little Hollywood Historic District (2), Sigourney Square Park (3), Sigourney Square District Historic District (4), West End South Historic District (5), West End North Historic District (6), Ann Street Historic District (7), Charter Oak Tree Memorial Park (8), Charter Oak Tree Site (9).
Post office: (A).
Hartford compared to Connecticut state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Hartford:
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WDRC (1360 AM; 5 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPOP (1410 AM; 5 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLAT (910 AM; 5 kW; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW BRITAIN LICENSEE, LLC)
- WDZK (1550 AM; 5 kW; BLOOMFIELD, CT; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WRYM (840 AM; 1 kW; NEW BRITAIN, CT)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WNEZ (1230 AM; 1 kW; MANCHESTER, CT; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF MANCHESTER LICENSEE LLC)
- WMRD (1150 AM; 3 kW; MIDDLETOWN, CT; Owner: CROSSROADS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHYN (560 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKND (1480 AM; 1 kW; WINDSOR, CT; Owner: HARTCOM, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hartford:
- WRTC-FM (89.3 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRUSTEES OF TRINITY COLLEGE)
- WRCH (100.5 FM; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WTIC-FM (96.5 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WWUH (91.3 FM; WEST HARTFORD, CT; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD)
- WCCC-FM (106.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: MARLIN BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WQTQ (89.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: HARTFORD BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WWYZ (92.5 FM; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKSS (95.7 FM; HARTFORD-MERIDEN, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WHCN (105.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZMX (93.7 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WMRQ (104.1 FM; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPKT (90.5 FM; MERIDEN, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC)
- WDRC-FM (102.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAQY (102.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WKCI-FM (101.3 FM; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPLR (99.1 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WJMJ (88.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ST. THOMAS SEMINARY)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- W227AJ (93.3 FM; NORTHFORD, CT; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY)
- WRNX (100.9 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
TV broadcast stations around Hartford:
- WHTX-LP (Channel 10; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WMLD-LP (Channel 6; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: HARVARD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRDM-LP (Channel 13; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ZGS HARTFORD, INC.)
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- W11BJ (Channel 11; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: COMMUNICATIONS SITE MANAGEMENT LLC)
- WUVN (Channel 18; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WTXX (Channel 20; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WTXX INC.)
- WVIT (Channel 30; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC)
- WEDH (Channel 24; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFSB (Channel 3; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: MEREDITH CORPORATION)
- WHCT-LP (Channel 38; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: VENTURE TECHNOLOGIES GROUP, LLC)
- WTNH (Channel 8; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: WTNH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCTX (Channel 59; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: WTNH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEDY (Channel 65; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- WHPX (Channel 26; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: PAXSON HARTFORD LICENSE, INC.)
- WUTH-CA (Channel 47; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WWLP (Channel 22; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: WWLP BROADCASTING, LLC)
- W51BZ (Channel 51; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: it COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.