Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 43,167. Estimated population in July 2005: 47,438 (+9.9% change)
Males: 20,830 (48.3%), Females: 22,337 (51.7%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 36.3 years
Median household income: $47,162 (year 2000)
Median house value: $140,400 (year 2000)
Middletown, CT residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Middletown:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (77.5%)
- Black (12.3%)
- Hispanic (5.3%)
- Two or more races (2.8%)
- Other race (2.0%)
- Asian Indian (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
- Chinese (0.7%)
- Other Asian (0.6%)
Ancestries: Italian (23.1%), Irish (15.2%), Polish (11.3%), English (10.3%), German (10.1%), French (5.6%).Connecticut
Elevation: 100 feet
Land area: 40.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Middletown
- High school or higher: 83.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 30.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.9%
- Unemployed: 4.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Middletown city
- Never married: 31.7%
- Now married: 48.1%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 11.8%
9.6% Foreign born (4.4% Europe, 2.3% Asia, 2.1% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +316 (+0.7%).
CT Apartments - Tours & Appointments online Contact us today! 2/3 bds available />
NY Houses - Apartments, Houses & More - Search All Listings Online Now! />
Homes - Current Home Listings, MLS, Houses For Sale & More In CT. Free! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: CT Meriden, (9.5 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY (56.6 miles Brookhaven, pop. 448,248).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (104.3 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: CT (0.0 miles Middletown, CT (3.1 miles Cromwell, CT Portland, (3.2 miles CT (4.2 miles Middlefield, CT (5.7 miles Durham, CT Berlin, (7.4 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 123 buildings, average cost: $61,300
- 1998: 152 buildings, average cost: $62,600
- 1999: 87 buildings, average cost: $66,200
- 2000: 97 buildings, average cost: $65,100
- 2001: 88 buildings, average cost: $65,300
- 2002: 93 buildings, average cost: $65,200
- 2003: 89 buildings, average cost: $65,300
- 2004: 89 buildings, average cost: $65,200
Latitude: 41.55 N, Longitude: 72.66 W
Area code: 860
Middletown, Connecticut business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (25.8%), Manufacturing (14.5%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (10.4%), Retail trade (10.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +8,353 (+19.4%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 7,846 (35.5%)
Crime in Middletown by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||1 ||2 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||2.3 ||4.6 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||3 ||5 ||8 ||2 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||6.9 ||11.6 ||18.5 ||4.6 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Robberies ||20 ||25 ||26 ||20 ||21 ||22 |
| per 100,000 ||46.3 ||57.9 ||60.2 ||46.3 ||48.6 ||51.0 |
|Assaults ||26 ||17 ||28 ||30 ||26 ||22 |
| per 100,000 ||60.2 ||39.4 ||64.9 ||69.5 ||60.2 ||51.0 |
|Burglaries ||177 ||234 ||215 ||148 ||124 ||129 |
| per 100,000 ||410.0 ||542.1 ||498.1 ||342.9 ||287.3 ||298.8 |
|Thefts ||969 ||1,040 ||822 ||792 ||1,003 ||1,046 |
| per 100,000 ||2244.8 ||2409.2 ||1904.2 ||1834.7 ||2323.5 ||2423.1 |
|Auto thefts ||138 ||163 ||138 ||116 ||115 ||118 |
| per 100,000 ||319.7 ||377.6 ||319.7 ||268.7 ||266.4 ||273.4 |
| ||172.8 ||196.7 ||179.7 ||148.5 ||161.0 ||165.2 |
Average climate in Middletown, Connecticut
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Middletown-area historical tornado activity is near Connecticut state average. It is 14% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 20.2 miles away from the Middletown city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 10/3/1979, a category 4 tornado 22.6 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Dean Acheson - (1893-1971), USA Secretary, Kareem Grant - College basketball player (Tennessee State Tigers), Stephen Hosmer - (1763-1834), jurist, Chief Justice of Connecticut’s Supreme Court.
Hospitals/medical centers in Middletown:
- CONNECTICUT VALLEY HOSP (SILVER ST)
- MIDDLESEX HOSPITAL (28 CRESCENT ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Middletown:
- SAINT FRANCIS CARE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH (about 5 miles; PORTLAND, CT)
- DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS' AFFAIRS (about 8 miles; ROCKY HILL, CT)
- MIDSTATE MEDICAL CENTER (about 9 miles; MERIDEN, CT)
Political contributions by individuals in Middletown, CT
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Middletown:
- HARTFORD-BRAINARD (about 13 miles; HARTFORD, CT; ID: HFD)
- TWEED-NEW HAVEN (about 26 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; ID: HVN)
- BRADLEY INTL (about 27 miles; WINDSOR LOCKS, CT; ID: BDL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Middletown:
- HUMMINGBIRD (about 11 miles; WALLINGFORD, CT; ID: 4C3)
- MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNI (about 12 miles; MERIDEN, CT; ID: MMK)
- ROBERTSON FIELD (about 16 miles; PLAINVILLE, CT; ID: 4B8)
Amtrak stations near Middletown:
- 10 miles: BERLIN (KENSINGTON, DEPOT RD.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 10 miles: MERIDEN (60 STATE ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 14 miles: WALLINGFORD (37 HALL AVE.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||260 ||$807,105 ||$37,251 ||0 ||$0 |
|Water Supply ||37 ||$142,605 ||$46,250 ||3 ||$4,233 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||463 ||$2,017,545 ||$52,290 ||120 ||$205,280 |Colleges/Universities in Middletown:
- WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 2,993; Location: 237 HIGH ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: WWW.WESLEYAN.EDU; Offers Doctor's degree)
- MIDDLESEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 1,161; Location: 100 TRAINING HILL RD; Public; Website: www.mxctc.commnet.edu)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Middletown:
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 12 miles; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 8,967)
- TRINITY COLLEGE (about 14 miles; HARTFORD, CT; FT enrollment: 2,056)
- MANCHESTER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 17 miles; MANCHESTER, CT; FT enrollment: 2,863)
- UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD (about 18 miles; WEST HARTFORD, CT; FT enrollment: 5,557)
- QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY (about 20 miles; HAMDEN, CT; FT enrollment: 5,836)
- YALE UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; FT enrollment: 11,011)
- GATEWAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 25 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; FT enrollment: 2,100)
Public high schools in Middletown:
- MIDDLETOWN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,266; Location: 370 HUNTING HILL AVE.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- VINAL V-T SCHOOL (Students: 647; Location: 60 DANIELS ST.; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Middletown:
- XAVIER HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 857; Location: 181 RANDOLPH ROAD; Grades: 9 - 12; Boys only)
- MERCY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 614; Location: 1740 RANDOLPH ROAD; Grades: 9 - 12; Girls only)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Middletown:
- WOODROW WILSON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 814; Location: 1 WILDERMAN'S WAY; Grades: 07 - 08)
- MOODY SCHOOL (Students: 420; Location: 300 COUNTRY CLUB RD.; Grades: KG - 05)
- SPENCER SCHOOL (Students: 385; Location: 207 WESTFIELD ST.; Grades: KG - 05)
- SNOW SCHOOL (Students: 383; Location: 299 WADSWORTH ST.; Grades: PK - 05)
- WESLEY SCHOOL (Students: 347; Location: 10 WESLEYAN HILLS RD.; Grades: KG - 05)
- BIELEFIELD SCHOOL (Students: 338; Location: 70 MAYNARD ST.; Grades: PK - 05)
- KEIGWIN ANNEX (Students: 333; Location: 99 SPURCE ST.; Grades: 06 - 06)
- FARM HILL SCHOOL (Students: 319; Location: 390 RIDGE RD.; Grades: KG - 05)
- LAWRENCE SCHOOL (Students: 307; Location: KAPLAN DR.; Grades: KG - 05)
- MACDONOUGH SCHOOL (Students: 243; Location: 66 SPRING ST.; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Middletown:
- ST JOHN SCHOOL (Students: 246; Location: 5 ST JOHN SQUARE; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST MARY OF CZESTOCHOWA SCHOOL (Students: 216; Location: 87 SOUTH MAIN STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- ST SEBASTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 192; Location: 61 DURANT TERRACE; Grades: PK - 8)
- FELLOWSHIP CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 185; Location: 30 BROOKS ROAD; Grades: PK - 8)
- VALLEY VIEW CHILDREN'S CTR (Students: 54; Location: HARVEY DR.-PO BOX 351; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Middletown:
- RUSSELL LIBRARY (Operating income: $2,955,287; Location: 123 BROAD ST.; 172,951 books; 9,313 audio materials; 9,400 video materials; 312 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Middletown: Little River (A), South Farms (B), Crystal Lake State Access Area (C), Center for African American Studies (D), Oddfellows Playhouse Youth Theater (E), Center for the Americas (F), Center for the Arts (G), Center for the Humanities (H), Connecticut Superior Court (I), Jean Burr Smith Library (J), Malcolm X House (K), Public Affairs Center (L), Judd Hall (M), Godfrey Memorial Library (N), Cinema Archive (O), Dana House (P), Hallock Medical Library (Q), Kidcity Childrens Museum (R), Davison Art Gallery (S), Davison Art Library (T).
Shopping Centers: Riverview Center Shopping Center (1), Metro Square Shopping Center (2), The Clock Tower Shopping Center (3), Washington Plaza Shopping Center (4).
Churches in Middletown include: Pine Street Gospel Chapel (A), Prayer Mission Church of God (B), Good News Baptist Church (C), Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church (D), Saint Francis Church (E), Saint Johns Church (F), Saint Mary of Czestochowa Church (G), Saint Paul Lutheran Church (H).
Cemeteries: Mortimer Cemetery (1), Miner Cemetery (2), Saint Mary Cemetery (3), Saint Johns Cemetery (4), West Burying Ground (5), Maromas Cemetery (6), Riverside Cemetery (7).
Lakes and reservoirs: Starr Millpond (A), Hubbard Pond (B), Highland Pond (C), Pameacha Pond (D), Zoar Pond (E), Miner Pond (F), Wilcox Pond (G), Butternut Pond (H).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Fall Brook (A), Manthey Brook (B), East Spruce Brook (C), East Minor Brook (D), East Bradley Brook (E), Mattabesset River (F), Hubbard Brook (G), Roaring Brook (H), Sumner Brook (I).
Parks in Middletown include: Highland Historic District (1), Metro South Historic District (2), Palmer Field (3), Smith Park (4), Marzalek Park (5), Seven Falls Highway Park (6), Crystal Lake State Access Area (7), Washington Street Historic District (8), Washington Square (9).
Post office: (A).
Middletown compared to Connecticut state average:
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Middletown:
- WMRD (1150 AM; 3 kW; MIDDLETOWN, CT; Owner: CROSSROADS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPOP (1410 AM; 5 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLAT (910 AM; 5 kW; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW BRITAIN LICENSEE, LLC)
- WMMW (1470 AM; 3 kW; MERIDEN, CT; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORP OF CT)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDRC (1360 AM; 5 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRYM (840 AM; 1 kW; NEW BRITAIN, CT)
- WXCT (990 AM; 3 kW; SOUTHINGTON, CT; Owner: THE ADD RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WELI (960 AM; 5 kW; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Middletown:
- WESU (88.1 FM; MIDDLETOWN, CT; Owner: WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY)
- WIHS (104.9 FM; MIDDLETOWN, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT RADIO FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WRCH (100.5 FM; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WKSS (95.7 FM; HARTFORD-MERIDEN, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWYZ (92.5 FM; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZMX (93.7 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WHCN (105.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMRQ (104.1 FM; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPKT (90.5 FM; MERIDEN, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC)
- W227AJ (93.3 FM; NORTHFORD, CT; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY)
- WDRC-FM (102.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKCI-FM (101.3 FM; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTIC-FM (96.5 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WWUH (91.3 FM; WEST HARTFORD, CT; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD)
- WPLR (99.1 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WCCC-FM (106.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: MARLIN BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WJMJ (88.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ST. THOMAS SEMINARY)
- WAQY (102.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WYBC-FM (94.3 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: YALE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WILI-FM (98.3 FM; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Owner: NUTMEG BROADCASTING COMPANY)
TV broadcast stations around Middletown:
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- W11BJ (Channel 11; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: COMMUNICATIONS SITE MANAGEMENT LLC)
- WTXX (Channel 20; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WTXX INC.)
- WVIT (Channel 30; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC)
- WEDH (Channel 24; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WUVN (Channel 18; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WFSB (Channel 3; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: MEREDITH CORPORATION)
- WTNH (Channel 8; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: WTNH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W51BZ (Channel 51; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: it COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCTX (Channel 59; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: WTNH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEDY (Channel 65; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHPX (Channel 26; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: PAXSON HARTFORD LICENSE, INC.)
- WHTX-LP (Channel 10; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WRDM-LP (Channel 13; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ZGS HARTFORD, INC.)
- WMLD-LP (Channel 6; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: HARVARD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHCT-LP (Channel 38; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: VENTURE TECHNOLOGIES GROUP, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.