Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 123,626. Estimated population in July 2005: 124,791 (+0.9% change)
Males: 59,185 (47.9%), Females: 64,441 (52.1%)
New Haven County
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 29.3 years
Median household income: $29,604 (year 2000)
Median house value: $109,200 (year 2000)
New Haven, CT residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in New Haven:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- Black (37.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (35.6%)
- Hispanic (21.4%)
- Other race (10.9%)
- Two or more races (3.9%)
- Chinese (1.4%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
- Other Asian (0.8%)
- Asian Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: Italian (10.5%), Irish (6.2%), German (4.1%), English (3.4%), Polish (2.6%), West Indian (2.1%).Haven, Connecticut
Elevation: 75 feet
Land area: 18.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in New Haven
- High school or higher: 73.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 27.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.2%
- Unemployed: 13.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in New Haven city
- Never married: 45.0%
- Now married: 35.7%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 6.5%
- Divorced: 9.7%
11.6% Foreign born (5.5% Latin America, 2.7% Asia, 2.6% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -6,622 (-5.1%).
CT Homes for Sale - CT luxury homes exclusive real estate listings. />
with Rent.com - Branford CT apartments Report your lease and get $100. />
W. Hartford Listings - - Exclusive Buyer's Brokers Save time, Save money & Buy well />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY (37.0 miles Brookhaven, pop. 448,248).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (80.2 miles www.Rent.com )
Nearest cities: Haven, CT New (0.0 miles Haven, CT (3.9 miles West Haven, CT East (4.2 miles CT (6.1 miles Hamden, Haven, CT (6.4 miles North .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 1 building, cost: $25,000
- 1997: 21 buildings, average cost: $64,200
- 1998: 36 buildings, average cost: $41,600
- 1999: 173 buildings, average cost: $93,900
- 2000: 25 buildings, average cost: $73,000
- 2001: 40 buildings, average cost: $74,900
- 2002: 35 buildings, average cost: $69,400
- 2003: 47 buildings, average cost: $111,100
- 2004: 159 buildings, average cost: $90,800
Latitude: 41.31 N, Longitude: 72.92 W
Area code: 203
New Haven, Connecticut business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (35.3%), Manufacturing (11.5%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +27,909 (+22.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 23,932 (50.0%)
Crime in New Haven by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 |
|Murders ||12 ||18 ||19 |
| per 100,000 ||9.7 ||14.6 ||15.4 |
|Rapes ||56 ||58 ||56 |
| per 100,000 ||45.3 ||46.9 ||45.3 |
|Robberies ||831 ||658 ||768 |
| per 100,000 ||672.2 ||532.3 ||621.2 |
|Assaults ||1,018 ||962 ||1,072 |
| per 100,000 ||823.5 ||778.2 ||867.1 |
|Burglaries ||1,962 ||1,484 ||1,348 |
| per 100,000 ||1587.0 ||1200.4 ||1090.4 |
|Thefts ||6,762 ||5,236 ||5,190 |
| per 100,000 ||5469.7 ||4235.4 ||4198.1 |
|Auto thefts ||1,368 ||1,310 ||1,391 |
| per 100,000 ||1106.6 ||1059.6 ||1125.2 |
| ||812.6 ||686.8 ||727.5 |
Average climate in New Haven, Connecticut
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
New Haven-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Connecticut state average. It is 27% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 0.6 miles away from the New Haven city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 7/29/1971, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 18.7 miles away from the city center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Carpenters, Lawrence Summers - (born 1954), economist, Liz Phair - (born 1967), singer-songwriter, musician, Norman Lear - (born 1922), television producer, Willard Gibbs, George Murphy - (1902-1992), dancer, actor, Senator from California, Michael Bolton - (born 1954), singer, Adam Greenberg - 2005 Major League Baseball player (Chicago Cubs, born: Feb 21, 1981), Benjamin Spock - (1903-1998), pediatrician, author, Brad Ausmus - 2005 Major League Baseball player (Houston Astros, born: Apr 14, 1969).
Main business address for: DSL NET INC (TELEPHONE COMMUNICATIONS (NO RADIO TELEPHONE)), CURAGEN CORP (SERVICES-COMMERCIAL PHYSICAL & BIOLOGICAL RESEARCH), UIL HOLDINGS CORP (ELECTRIC SERVICES), VION PHARMACEUTICALS INC (BIOLOGICAL PRODUCTS (NO DIAGNOSTIC SUBSTANCES)), NEWALLIANCE BANCSHARES INC (NATIONAL COMMERCIAL BANKS), GENAISSANCE PHARMACEUTICALS INC (SERVICES-COMMERCIAL PHYSICAL & BIOLOGICAL RESEARCH), ARISTOTLE CORP (SURGICAL & MEDICAL INSTRUMENTS & APPARATUS), TRANSPRO INC (MOTOR VEHICLE PARTS & ACCESSORIES).
Hospitals/medical centers in New Haven:
- CONNECTICUT MENTAL HEALTH CENTER (34 PARK ST)
- HOSPITAL OF ST RAPHAEL (1450 CHAPEL ST)
- YALE-NEW HAVEN HOSPITAL (20 YORK ST)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to New Haven:
- TWEED-NEW HAVEN (about 6 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; ID: HVN)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 18 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; ID: BDR)
- HARTFORD-BRAINARD (about 35 miles; HARTFORD, CT; ID: HFD)
Other public-use airports nearest to New Haven:
- HUMMINGBIRD (about 15 miles; WALLINGFORD, CT; ID: 4C3)
- MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNI (about 15 miles; MERIDEN, CT; ID: MMK)
- WATERBURY-OXFORD (about 19 miles; OXFORD, CT; ID: OXC)
NEW HAVEN (50 UNION AVE.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, car rental agency, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||2456 ||$11,357,432 ||$55,492 ||579 ||$616,827 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||807 ||$1,859,294 ||$27,647 ||606 ||$375,170 |Colleges/Universities in New Haven:
- YALE UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 11,011; Private, not-for-profit; Website: WWW.YALE.EDU; Offers Doctor's degree)
- SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (FT enrollment: 8,808; Location: 501 CRESCENT STREET; Public; Website: SCSU.CTSTATEU.EDU; Offers Master's degree)
- GATEWAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 2,100; Location: 60 SARGENT DR; Public; Website: www.gwctc.commnet.edu)
- ALBERTUS MAGNUS COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 1,964; Location: 700 PROSPECT ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.albertus.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- YALE-NEW HAVEN HOSPITAL DIETETIC INTERNSHIP (FT enrollment: 12; Location: 20 YORK ST GBB; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.ynhh.com)
- WORLDTEK TRAVEL SCHOOL (Location: 111 WATER ST; Private, for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near New Haven:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN (about 4 miles; WEST HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 3,081)
- QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; HAMDEN, CT; FT enrollment: 5,836)
- NAUGATUCK VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 20 miles; WATERBURY, CT; FT enrollment: 2,834)
- SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY (about 24 miles; FAIRFIELD, CT; FT enrollment: 4,120)
- WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; MIDDLETOWN, CT; FT enrollment: 2,993)
- FAIRFIELD UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; FAIRFIELD, CT; FT enrollment: 4,197)
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; NEW BRITAIN, CT; FT enrollment: 8,967)
Public high schools in New Haven:
- WILBUR CROSS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,724; Location: 181 MITCHELL DR.; Grades: 08 - 12)
- JAMES HILLHOUSE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,305; Location: 480 SHERMAN PARKWAY; Grades: 09 - 12)
- HILL REGIONAL CAREER HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 623; Location: 140 LEGION AVE.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- COOPERATIVE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 383; Location: 444 ORANGE ST.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- HIGH SCHOOL IN THE COMMUNITY (Students: 323; Location: 176 WATER ST.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- SOUND SCHOOL (Students: 320; Location: 60 SOUTH WATER ST.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- RIVERSIDE EDUCATIONAL ACADEMY (Students: 172; Location: 560 ELLA GRASSO BLVD.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- COMMON GROUND HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 116; Location: 358 SPRINGSIDE AVE.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- NEW HAVEN COMMUNITY CORRECTIONAL CENTER (Students: 55; Location: 245 WHALLEY AVE.; Grades: 10 - 12)
Private high schools in New Haven:
- HOPKINS SCHOOL (Students: 633; Location: 986 FOREST ROAD; Grades: 7 - 12)
- YESHIVA OF NEW HAVEN (Students: 190; Location: 750 ELM STREET; Grades: 9 - 12; Boys only)
- ELM CITY NEW SCHOOL (Students: 20; Location: 235 NICHOL STREET; Grades: 5 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in New Haven:
- FAIR HAVEN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 864; Location: 164 GRAND AVE.; Grades: 05 - 08)
- EAST ROCK GLOBAL STUDIES MAGNET (Students: 774; Location: 133 NASH ST.; Grades: PK - 08)
- CLEMENTE LEADERSHIP ACADEMY (Students: 679; Location: 360 COLUMBUS AVE.; Grades: KG - 08)
- CONTE/WEST HILLS MAGNET (Students: 625; Location: 511 CHAPEL ST.; Grades: KG - 08)
- HILL CENTRAL SCHOOL (Students: 624; Location: 140 DEWITT ST.; Grades: PK - 08)
- TROUP MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 622; Location: 259 EDGEWOOD AVE.; Grades: 05 - 08)
- NATHAN HALE SCHOOL (Students: 547; Location: 480 TOWNSEND AVE.; Grades: KG - 08)
- SHERIDAN COMMUNICATIONS AND TECHNOLOGY MAGNET (Students: 533; Location: 191 FOUNTAIN ST.; Grades: 05 - 08)
- WEXLER/GRANT SCHOOL (Students: 513; Location: 55 FOOTE ST.; Grades: PK - 07)
- LINCOLN-BASSETT SCHOOL (Students: 511; Location: 130 BASSETT ST.; Grades: PK - 05)
Biggest private primary/middle schools in New Haven:
- FOOTE SCHOOL (Students: 469; Location: 50 LOOMIS PLACE; Grades: KG - 9)
- SAINT FRANCIS SCHOOL (Students: 280; Location: 423 FERRY ST; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST BERNADETTE SCHOOL (Students: 268; Location: 20 BURR STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST AEDAN SCHOOL (Students: 259; Location: 351 MCKINLEY AVENUE; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST BRENDAN SCHOOL (Students: 239; Location: 342 ELLSWORTH AVENUE; Grades: KG - 8)
- THE GAN SCHOOL (Students: 224; Location: 765 ELM STREET; Grades: PK - UG)
- ST ROSE OF LIMA SCHOOL (Students: 210; Location: 12 RICHARD STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- SACRED HEART/SAINT PETER SCHOO (Students: 199; Location: 208 COLUMBUS AVENUE; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST THOMAS DAY SCHOOL (Students: 157; Location: 830 WHITNEY AVENUE; Grades: PK - 6)
- LEILA DAY NURSERY INC (Students: 99; Location: 100 COLD SPRING STREET; Grades: PK - 3)
Library in New Haven:
- NEW HAVEN FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $4,900,629; Location: 133 ELM ST.; 423,444 books; 14,101 audio materials; 4,567 video materials; 412 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in New Haven: New Haven Lawn Club (A), New Haven Long Whorf (B), Audubon Arts District (C), Phelps Gate (D), Five Mile Point Lighthouse (E), Bell Dock (F), Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station (G), Ingalls Hockey Rink (H), Coxe Cage (I), Customhouse Square (J), Union Station (K), Grannis Corners (L), Yale Golf Club (M), Hamden City Recycling Center (N), Greeley Forestry Laboratory (O), Connecticut Building (P), Center for Jewish Life (Q), Connecticut Childrens Museum (R), Connecticut Hall (S), Connecticut Mental Health Center (T).
Shopping Centers: Amity Shopping Center (1), Chapel Day Plaza Shopping Center (2), Chapel Square Mall Shopping Center (3), Atlantic Retail Outlet Shopping Center (4), College Plaza Shopping Center (5), Beaver Hill Shopping Center (6), University Place Shopping Center (7).
Churches in New Haven include: Pilgrim Church (A), Agape Christian Center (B), Plymouth Congregational Church (C), Resurrection Lutheran Church (D), Saint Aedans Church (E), Good Samaritan Pentecostal Church (F), Good Shepherd Holiness Church (G), Saint Andrews Church (H).
Cemeteries: Mishkan Israel Cemetery (1), Saint Bernards Cemetery (2), Center Church Cemetery (3), Union Cemetery (4), West River Memorial Park (5), Westville Cemetery (6), Evergreen Cemetery (7).
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Center Pond (A), Long Pond (B), Lily Pond (C), Iris Pond (D), Edgewood Park Pond (E), Beaver Pond Meadows (F).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Mill River (A), Little River (B), Morris Creek (C), Belden Brook (D), Tuttle Brook (E), Quinnipiac River (F), Hemingway Creek (G), Wilmot Brook (H), Wintergreen Brook (I).
Parks in New Haven include: Spireworth Park (1), New Haven Green Historic District (2), New Haven Green (3), Chapel Street Historic District (4), River Street Historic District (5), Amistad Memorial (6), Marsh Botanical Gardens (7), Anthony Thompson Field (8), Edgewood Park Historic District (9).
Post offices: New Haven Main Branch Post Office (A), Yale Post Office (B).
New Haven compared to Connecticut state average:
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in New Haven:
- WELI (960 AM; 5 kW; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WAVZ (1300 AM; 1 kW; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WYBC (1340 AM; 1 kW; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: YALE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WQUN (1220 AM; 1 kW; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY)
- WADS (690 AM; daytime; 3 kW; ANSONIA, CT; Owner: RADIO AMOR, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WFIF (1500 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MILFORD, CT)
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WFNW (1380 AM; 5 kW; NAUGATUCK, CT; Owner: CANDIDO DIAS CARRELO)
- WATR (1320 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WATR, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in New Haven:
- WKCI-FM (101.3 FM; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPLR (99.1 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- W296AO (107.1 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: ST. THOMAS SEMINARY)
- WYBC-FM (94.3 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: YALE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WNHU (88.7 FM; WEST HAVEN, CT; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN)
- W252AS (98.3 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: MONROE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WKSS (95.7 FM; HARTFORD-MERIDEN, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWYZ (92.5 FM; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZMX (93.7 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WHCN (105.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMRQ (104.1 FM; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W226AG (93.1 FM; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: SAINT THOMAS SEMINARY)
- WPKT (90.5 FM; MERIDEN, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC)
- WDRC-FM (102.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRCH (100.5 FM; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WRXC (90.1 FM; SHELTON, CT; Owner: MONROE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- W227AJ (93.3 FM; NORTHFORD, CT; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY)
- WEZN-FM (99.9 FM; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WSHU-FM (91.1 FM; FAIRFIELD, CT; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WPKN (89.5 FM; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: WPKN, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around New Haven:
- WTNH (Channel 8; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: WTNH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEDY (Channel 65; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCTX (Channel 59; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: WTNH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W28AJ (Channel 28; ALLINGTOWN, CT; Owner: PAGING ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- W11BJ (Channel 11; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: COMMUNICATIONS SITE MANAGEMENT LLC)
- WTXX (Channel 20; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WTXX INC.)
- WVIT (Channel 30; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC)
- WEDH (Channel 24; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WUVN (Channel 18; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WEDW (Channel 49; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSAH (Channel 43; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WFTY (Channel 67; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WLNY (Channel 55; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- W51BZ (Channel 51; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: it COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.