Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 17,906. Estimated population in July 2005: 18,336 (+2.4% change)
Males: 8,701 (48.6%), Females: 9,205 (51.4%)
New London County
Median resident age: 41.7 years
Median household income: $52,437 (year 2000)
Median house value: $168,200 (year 2000)
Stonington, CT residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Stonington:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.0%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Chinese (0.7%)
- Black (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (22.5%), English (18.8%), Italian (16.4%), German (12.1%), French (7.7%), Polish (7.3%).
New! Connecticut forum
Elevation: 20 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
false;" href="#"> Stonington,
For population 25 years and over in Stonington
- High school or higher: 88.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 34.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.4%
- Unemployed: 3.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Stonington town
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 57.4%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 11.3%
5.2% Foreign born (3.5% Europe, 0.6% Asia).
Stonington Hotels - Hotels, Compare Rates & Read Recent Reviews. Try TripAdvisor! />
Ct - Vacation Rentals Rent Direct From Owners and Save! />
Hotels at Yahoo - low rates, unbiased reviews, nearby restaurants, maps and more! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: RI (42.8 miles Warwick, pop. 85,808).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY (79.6 miles Brookhaven, pop. 448,248).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (145.0 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: CT (0.0 miles Stonington, CT Mystic, (4.2 miles CT (4.9 miles Pawcatuck, CT (6.1 miles Noank, RI Westerly, (6.5 miles Mystic, CT (6.6 miles Old Long Point, CT (7.2 miles Groton
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 66 buildings, average cost: $132,800
- 1997: 77 buildings, average cost: $136,800
- 1998: 94 buildings, average cost: $144,400
- 1999: 90 buildings, average cost: $165,600
- 2000: 69 buildings, average cost: $165,100
- 2001: 63 buildings, average cost: $205,000
- 2002: 81 buildings, average cost: $205,200
- 2003: 70 buildings, average cost: $196,200
- 2004: 87 buildings, average cost: $236,700
- 2005: 79 buildings, average cost: $272,200
Latitude: 41.33 N, Longitude: 71.90 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 860
Stonington, Connecticut business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (20.4%), Manufacturing (19.3%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (15.9%), Retail trade (11.3%).
Crime in Stonington by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||1 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||5.6 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||1 ||4 ||0 ||1 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||5.6 ||22.3 ||0.0 ||5.6 ||0.0 |
|Robberies ||7 ||5 ||1 ||7 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||39.1 ||27.9 ||5.6 ||39.1 ||22.3 |
|Assaults ||9 ||5 ||4 ||5 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||50.3 ||27.9 ||22.3 ||27.9 ||33.5 |
|Burglaries ||34 ||48 ||18 ||73 ||60 |
| per 100,000 ||189.9 ||268.1 ||100.5 ||407.7 ||335.1 |
|Thefts ||356 ||344 ||321 ||367 ||299 |
| per 100,000 ||1988.2 ||1921.1 ||1792.7 ||2049.6 ||1669.8 |
|Auto thefts ||11 ||9 ||13 ||19 ||8 |
| per 100,000 ||61.4 ||50.3 ||72.6 ||106.1 ||44.7 |
| ||121.7 ||122.5 ||96.3 ||138.6 ||107.2 |
Average climate in Stonington, Connecticut
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Stonington-area historical tornado activity is below Connecticut state average. It is 57% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/21/1951, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 44.3 miles away from the Stonington city center injured 8 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 10/3/1979, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 64.7 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: John Hart, James Hammond Trumbull - (1821-1897), scholar.
Hospitals/medical centers near Stonington:
- WESTERLY HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; WESTERLY, RI)
- LAWRENCE & MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; NEW LONDON, CT)
- WILLIAM W BACKUS HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; NORWICH, CT)
Political contributions by individuals in Stonington, CT
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Stonington:
- GROTON-NEW LONDON (about 9 miles; GROTON NEW LONDON, CT; ID: GON)
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 43 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; ID: PVD)
- HARTFORD-BRAINARD (about 59 miles; HARTFORD, CT; ID: HFD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Stonington:
- WESTERLY STATE (about 8 miles; WESTERLY, RI; ID: WST)
- ELIZABETH FIELD (about 10 miles; FISHERS ISLAND, NY; ID: 0B8)
- MONTAUK (about 19 miles; MONTAUK, NY; ID: MTP)
Amtrak stations near Stonington:
- 4 miles: MYSTIC (RTE. 1). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 7 miles: WESTERLY (14 RAILROAD AVE.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 10 miles: FOXWOOD CASINO (LEDYARD, ROUTE 2) - Bus Station
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Stonington:
- UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND (about 28 miles; KINGSTON, RI; Full-time enrollment: 11,759)
- EASTERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 34 miles; WILLIMANTIC, CT; FT enrollment: 4,165)
- UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT (about 41 miles; STORRS, CT; FT enrollment: 16,952)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 41 miles; WARWICK, RI; FT enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 41 miles; WARWICK, RI; FT enrollment: 2,419)
- BRYANT COLLEGE (about 47 miles; SMITHFIELD, RI; FT enrollment: 2,926)
- RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE (about 48 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; FT enrollment: 6,208)
Public primary/middle school in Stonington:
- DEANS MILL SCHOOL (Students: 509; Location: 35 DEANS MILL RD.; Grades: PK - 04)
Private primary/middle school in Stonington:
- PINE POINT SCHOOL (Students: 247; Location: 89 BARNES RD; Grades: PK - 9)
Library in Stonington:
- STONINGTON FREE LIBRARY (Operating income: $317,436; Location: 20 HIGH ST.; 36,362 books; 762 audio materials; 584 video materials; 106 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Stonington: Stonington Town Dock (A), Walkers Dock (B), Dodson Boat Yard (C), Borough Hall (D), Stonington Historical Society Library (E), Stonington Free Library Association (F). their locations on the map
Churches in Stonington include: Calvary Episcopal Church (A), Saint Marys Church (B), Stonington Congregational Church (C), United Church of Stonington (D). their locations on the map
Cemetery: Robinson Burial Ground (1). its location on the map
Stonington compared to Connecticut state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
- Population density significantly above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Stonington:
- WXNI (1230 AM; 1 kW; WESTERLY, RI; Owner: WRNI FOUNDATION)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WICH (1310 AM; 5 kW; NORWICH, CT; Owner: WICH, INCORPORATED)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WSUB (980 AM; 1 kW; GROTON, CT; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Stonington:
- WHJM (107.7 FM; PAWCATUCK, CT; Owner: FULLER BROADCASTING INTERNATIONAL, LLC)
- WXLM (102.3 FM; STONINGTON, CT; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBMW (106.5 FM; LEDYARD, CT; Owner: RED WOLF BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WQGN-FM (105.5 FM; GROTON, CT; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWRX-FM (103.7 FM; WESTERLY, RI; Owner: FNX BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WCTY (97.7 FM; NORWICH, CT; Owner: WICH, INC.)
- WNLC (98.7 FM; EAST LYME, CT; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WSKO-FM (99.7 FM; WAKEFIELD-PEACEDALE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKNL (100.9 FM; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMOS (104.7 FM; MONTAUK, NY; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCNI (90.9 FM; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT COLLEGE BROADCASTING ASSOCIATION, INC.)
- WILI-FM (98.3 FM; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Owner: NUTMEG BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRIU (90.3 FM; KINGSTON, RI; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND)
- W233AG (94.5 FM; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: MONROE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WBLQ (88.1 FM; WESTERLY, RI; Owner: SOUTHERN RI PUBLIC RADIO BROAD INC)
TV broadcast stations around Stonington:
- WHPX (Channel 26; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: PAXSON HARTFORD LICENSE, INC.)
- WPXQ (Channel 69; BLOCK ISLAND, RI; Owner: OCEAN STATE TELEVISION, L.L.C.)
- WEDN (Channel 53; NORWICH, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.