Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 10,996
Males: 5,259 (47.8%), Females: 5,737 (52.2%)
Median resident age: 20.7 years
Median household income: $26,371 (year 2000)
Median house value: $146,400 (year 2000)
Storrs, CT residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Storrs:
- White Non-Hispanic (78.9%)
- Black (5.7%)
- Hispanic (4.4%)
- Chinese (4.0%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- Asian Indian (2.1%)
- Other race (1.7%)
- Korean (1.0%)
- Other Asian (0.9%)
Ancestries: Italian (19.4%), Irish (16.8%), German (10.9%), English (9.8%), Polish (9.5%), French (4.9%).
New! Connecticut forum
Elevation: 600 feet
Land area: 5.7 square miles
false;" href="#"> Storrs,
For population 25 years and over in Storrs
- High school or higher: 92.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 68.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 48.4%
- Unemployed: 14.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 14.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Storrs CDP
- Never married: 70.1%
- Now married: 24.7%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 2.8%
- Divorced: 2.0%
14.8% Foreign born (8.5% Asia, 3.1% Europe, 1.7% Latin America).
Education - colleges, private schools, school profiles , SAT scores & more />
White Hart Inn - Country Inn - Fine Lodging & Dining. Weddings & Meetings />
Hotels - Tours, Reviews, Hotel Maps Compare & Save on Hotels Today! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: CT (18.4 miles Manchester, pop. 54,740).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY (84.5 miles Brookhaven, pop. 448,248).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (137.3 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: CT Mansfield, (3.2 miles Coventry, CT South (4.2 miles CT (4.2 miles Coventry, Center, CT (5.0 miles Mansfield Lake, CT (5.7 miles Coventry CT (7.0 miles Willimantic, CT (7.9 miles Columbia, CT (8.9 miles Chaplin,
Latitude: 41.81 N, Longitude: 72.26 W
Area code: 860
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (47.2%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (18.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +5,017 (+45.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 3,476 (66.9%)
Average climate in Storrs, Connecticut
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Storrs-area historical tornado activity is near Connecticut state average. It is 11% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/1979, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 28.9 miles away from the Storrs city center killed 3 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 5/10/1954, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 16.7 miles away from the city center injured 2 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Storrs:
- NATCHAUG HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; MANSFIELD CENTER, CT)
- WINDHAM COMM MEM HOSP & HATCH HOSP (about 8 miles; WILLIMANTIC, CT)
- JOHNSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; STAFFORD SPRINGS, CT)
Political contributions by individuals in Storrs, CT
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Storrs:
- HARTFORD-BRAINARD (about 28 miles; HARTFORD, CT; ID: HFD)
- BRADLEY INTL (about 30 miles; WINDSOR LOCKS, CT; ID: BDL)
- WESTOVER ARB/METROPOLITAN (about 33 miles; SPRINGFIELD/CHICOPEE, MA; ID: CEF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Storrs:
- WINDHAM (about 8 miles; WILLIMANTIC, CT; ID: IJD)
- ELLINGTON (about 16 miles; ELLINGTON, CT; ID: 7B9)
- TOUTANT (about 18 miles; PUTNAM, CT; ID: C44)
College/University in Storrs:
- UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT (Full-time enrollment: 16,952; Public; Offers Doctor's degree)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Storrs:
- EASTERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Full-time enrollment: 4,165)
- WESTERN NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE (about 29 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 3,285)
- SPRINGFIELD COLLEGE (about 30 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,176)
- SPRINGFIELD TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 30 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,026)
- TRINITY COLLEGE (about 31 miles; HARTFORD, CT; FT enrollment: 2,056)
- MANCHESTER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 33 miles; MANCHESTER, CT; FT enrollment: 2,863)
- WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; MIDDLETOWN, CT; FT enrollment: 2,993)
Public high schools in Storrs:
- E. O. SMITH HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,257; Location: 1235 STORRS RD.; Grades: 09 - 12)
- BERGIN CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTE (Students: 26; Location: 251 MIDDLE TPKE.; Grades: 12 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Storrs:
- MANSFIELD MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 672; Location: 205 SPRING HILL RD.; Grades: 05 - 08)
- DOROTHY C. GOODWIN (Students: 259; Location: 321 HUNTING LODGE RD.; Grades: PK - 04)
- HOMEBOUND (Location: 4 SOUTH EAGLEVILLE ROAD; Grades: PK - 12)
- HOMEBOUND (Location: 1235 STORRS ROAD; Grades: PK - 12)
| || |
Lakes: Hanks Hill Pond (A), Mirror Lake (B), Swan Lake (C), Dunham Pond (D), Tift Pond (E). their locations on the map
Storrs compared to Connecticut state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- Number of college students significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Storrs:
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WILI (1400 AM; 1 kW; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Owner: THE NUTMEG BROADCASTING CO.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WICH (1310 AM; 5 kW; NORWICH, CT; Owner: WICH, INCORPORATED)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WINY (1350 AM; 5 kW; PUTNAM, CT; Owner: OSBREY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Storrs:
- WHUS (91.7 FM; STORRS, CT; Owner: THE BD. OF TRUSTEES, THE UNIV. OF CT)
- W258AC (99.5 FM; STORRS, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC)
- WILI-FM (98.3 FM; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Owner: NUTMEG BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WECS (90.1 FM; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Owner: EASTERN CONNECTICUT STATE COLLEGE)
- WRCH (100.5 FM; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WAAF (107.3 FM; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFCR (88.5 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WWFX (100.1 FM; SOUTHBRIDGE, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRNX (100.9 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WAQY (102.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WTIC-FM (96.5 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WWUH (91.3 FM; WEST HARTFORD, CT; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD)
- WORC-FM (98.9 FM; WEBSTER, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCCC-FM (106.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: MARLIN BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WCTY (97.7 FM; NORWICH, CT; Owner: WICH, INC.)
- WBMW (106.5 FM; LEDYARD, CT; Owner: RED WOLF BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBVC (91.1 FM; POMFRET, CT; Owner: POMFRET SCHOOL)
TV broadcast stations around Storrs:
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- WHPX (Channel 26; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: PAXSON HARTFORD LICENSE, INC.)
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- W11BJ (Channel 11; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: COMMUNICATIONS SITE MANAGEMENT LLC)
- WPXQ (Channel 69; BLOCK ISLAND, RI; Owner: OCEAN STATE TELEVISION, L.L.C.)
- WTXX (Channel 20; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WTXX INC.)
- WUVN (Channel 18; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WEDN (Channel 53; NORWICH, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVIT (Channel 30; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC)
- WEDH (Channel 24; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.