Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 52,360. Estimated population in July 2005: 52,923 (+1.1% change)
Males: 24,995 (47.7%), Females: 27,365 (52.3%)
New Haven County
Median resident age: 36.4 years
Median household income: $42,393 (year 2000)
Median house value: $118,600 (year 2000)
West Haven, CT residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in West Haven:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (69.7%)
- Black (16.3%)
- Hispanic (9.1%)
- Other race (3.6%)
- Two or more races (2.8%)
- Asian Indian (0.9%)
- Other Asian (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Chinese (0.5%)
Ancestries: Italian (27.5%), Irish (17.9%), German (7.7%), English (7.0%), Polish (5.4%), French (4.0%).Haven, Connecticut
Elevation: 25 feet
Land area: 10.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in West Haven
- High school or higher: 81.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.1%
- Unemployed: 5.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Haven city
- Never married: 31.6%
- Now married: 47.2%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 11.0%
11.4% Foreign born (3.9% Latin America, 3.2% Europe, 3.1% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -1,964 (-3.6%).
Sites & Services - website for Connecticut Event Sites and Service Providers />
Hotels - Tours, Reviews, Hotel Maps Compare & Save on Hotels Today! />
in Connecticut - Apartments Information Search for apartments here! />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY (34.5 miles Brookhaven, pop. 448,248).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (76.4 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: Haven, CT (0.0 miles West CT Woodmont, (3.6 miles Haven, CT New (3.9 miles CT (4.2 miles Orange, CT (6.3 miles Woodbridge, Haven, CT East (6.8 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 18 buildings, average cost: $50,400
- 1997: 46 buildings, average cost: $27,500
- 1998: 49 buildings, average cost: $48,700
- 1999: 38 buildings, average cost: $38,800
- 2000: 43 buildings, average cost: $58,300
- 2001: 39 buildings, average cost: $47,600
- 2002: 26 buildings, average cost: $55,200
- 2003: 26 buildings, average cost: $60,600
- 2004: 24 buildings, average cost: $60,500
- 2005: 24 buildings, average cost: $60,500
Latitude: 41.27 N, Longitude: 72.96 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 203
West Haven, Connecticut business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (22.6%), Retail trade (14.6%), Manufacturing (14.4%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -9,242 (-17.7%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 5,558 (21.2%)
Crime in West Haven by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||2 ||2 ||1 ||0 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||1.9 ||3.8 ||3.8 ||1.9 ||0.0 ||3.8 |
|Rapes ||2 ||11 ||17 ||18 ||13 ||13 |
| per 100,000 ||3.8 ||21.0 ||32.5 ||34.4 ||24.8 ||24.8 |
|Robberies ||58 ||44 ||48 ||58 ||66 ||67 |
| per 100,000 ||110.8 ||84.0 ||91.7 ||110.8 ||126.1 ||128.0 |
|Assaults ||33 ||17 ||98 ||41 ||76 ||186 |
| per 100,000 ||63.0 ||32.5 ||187.2 ||78.3 ||145.1 ||355.2 |
|Burglaries ||284 ||282 ||366 ||305 ||256 ||204 |
| per 100,000 ||542.4 ||538.6 ||699.0 ||582.5 ||488.9 ||389.6 |
|Thefts ||1,449 ||1,269 ||1,523 ||1,259 ||1,416 ||1,356 |
| per 100,000 ||2767.4 ||2423.6 ||2908.7 ||2404.5 ||2704.4 ||2589.8 |
|Auto thefts ||280 ||303 ||271 ||307 ||297 ||246 |
| per 100,000 ||534.8 ||578.7 ||517.6 ||586.3 ||567.2 ||469.8 |
| ||240.7 ||224.9 ||288.4 ||248.4 ||264.6 ||291.6 |
Average climate in West Haven, Connecticut
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
West Haven-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Connecticut state average. It is 29% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 4.5 miles away from the West Haven city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 7/29/1971, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 20.1 miles away from the city center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Geary Claxton - College basketball player (Penn State Nittany Lions).
Hospitals/medical centers near West Haven:
- YALE-NEW HAVEN HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT)
- HOSPITAL OF ST RAPHAEL (about 5 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT)
- CONNECTICUT MENTAL HEALTH CENTER (about 7 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT)
Political contributions by individuals in West Haven, CT
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to West Haven:
- TWEED-NEW HAVEN (about 6 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; ID: HVN)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 14 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; ID: BDR)
- LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR (about 35 miles; ISLIP, NY; ID: ISP)
Other public-use airports nearest to West Haven:
- WATERBURY-OXFORD (about 18 miles; OXFORD, CT; ID: OXC)
- HUMMINGBIRD (about 19 miles; WALLINGFORD, CT; ID: 4C3)
- MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNI (about 19 miles; MERIDEN, CT; ID: MMK)
Amtrak stations near West Haven:
- 4 miles: NEW HAVEN (50 UNION AVE.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, car rental agency, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 16 miles: WALLINGFORD (37 HALL AVE.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
- 17 miles: BRIDGEPORT (525 WATER ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||715 ||$2,944,666 ||$49,420 ||159 ||$155,435 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||202 ||$522,918 ||$31,064 ||171 ||$67,527 |Colleges/Universities in West Haven:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN (Full-time enrollment: 3,081; Location: 300 ORANGE AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.newhaven.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
- BARAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (FT enrollment: 6; Location: 15 KIMBERLY AVE; Private, for-profit; Website: www.baraninstitute.com)
- CONNECTICUT INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (Location: 2 ELIZABETH ST; Private, for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near West Haven:
- SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 8,808)
- GATEWAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 5 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; FT enrollment: 2,100)
- YALE UNIVERSITY (about 7 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; FT enrollment: 11,011)
- QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY (about 11 miles; HAMDEN, CT; FT enrollment: 5,836)
- SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY (about 20 miles; FAIRFIELD, CT; FT enrollment: 4,120)
- NAUGATUCK VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; WATERBURY, CT; FT enrollment: 2,834)
- FAIRFIELD UNIVERSITY (about 22 miles; FAIRFIELD, CT; FT enrollment: 4,197)
Public high school in West Haven:
- WEST HAVEN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,758; Location: ONE MCDONOUGH PLAZA; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in West Haven:
- NOTRE DAME HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 667; Location: 24 RICARDO STREET; Grades: 9 - 12; Boys only)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in West Haven:
- MAY V. CARRIGAN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 1,013; Location: 2 TETLOW ST.; Grades: 06 - 08)
- HARRY M. BAILEY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 906; Location: 106 MORGAN LN.; Grades: 06 - 08)
- FOREST SCHOOL (Students: 547; Location: 95 BURWELL RD.; Grades: KG - 05)
- SAVIN ROCK COMMUNITY SCHOOL (Students: 517; Location: 50 PARK ST.; Grades: KG - 05)
- SETH G. HALEY SCHOOL (Students: 487; Location: 148 SOUTH ST.; Grades: KG - 05)
- EDITH E. MACKRILLE SCHOOL (Students: 421; Location: 806 JONES HILL RD.; Grades: PK - 05)
- ALMA E. PAGELS SCHOOL (Students: 405; Location: 26 BENHAM HILL RD.; Grades: PK - 05)
- WASHINGTON SCHOOL (Students: 401; Location: 369 WASHINGTON AVE.; Grades: KG - 05)
- CLARENCE E. THOMPSON SCHOOL (Students: 337; Location: 165 RICHARDS ST.; Grades: KG - 05)
- ANNA V. MOLLOY SCHOOL (Students: 316; Location: 225 MELOY RD.; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in West Haven:
- OUR LADY OF VICTORY SCHOOL (Students: 314; Location: 620 JONES HILL ROAD; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST LAWRENCE SCHOOL (Students: 252; Location: 231 MAIN ST; Grades: PK - 8)
- LIVING WORD CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 90; Location: 129 BULL HILL LANE; Grades: KG - 7)
- BENHAVEN SCHOOL (Students: 33; Location: 67 BULL HILL LN; Grades: UG - UG)
- COVENANT CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 24; Location: 126 PRINDLE ROAD; Grades: PK - 5)
Library in West Haven:
- WEST HAVEN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,224,390; Location: 300 ELM ST.; 150,473 books; 6,920 audio materials; 2,972 video materials; 168 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in West Haven: Alling Crossing (A), Phipps Lake Picnic Area (B), Cullman Courts (C), University of New Haven Athletic Complex (D), Allington Community Center (E), Allington Public Library (F), Charger Gymnasium (G), Kaplan Building (H), Piantino Library (I), National Art Museum of Sport (J), Peterson Library (K), Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center Library (L), Dodd Building (M), Dunham Building (N), Bethel Building (O), Winchester Building (P), Maxcy Building (Q), West Haven Public Library (R), West Haven Chamber of Commerce (S), Mason Branch Library (T).
Shopping Centers: New Haven Plaza Shopping Center (1), Bayshore Shopping Center (2), Savin Rock Parkade Shopping Center (3).
Churches in West Haven include: Our Lady of Victory Roman Catholic Church (A), Saint John Vianney Church (B), Saint Lawrences Church (C), Saint Louis Church (D), Saint Pauls Church (E), Christ Episcopal Church (F), Christian Fellowship Church of God (G), Christian and Missionary Alliance Church (H).
Cemeteries: Saint Lawrence Cemetery (1), West Haven Green Cemetery (2), Oak Grove Cemetery (3), Milford Cemetery (4).
Lakes and reservoirs: Maltby Lake (A), Horseshoe Lagoon (B), Phipps Lake (C), Maltby Lakes North (D), Upper Lake Phipps (E), Maltby Lakes West (F), Maltby Lower Lake (G).
Rivers and creeks: Old Field Creek (A), Cove River (B), West River (C), Oyster River (D).
Parks in West Haven include: West Haven Green (1), Allington Park (2), Ray Park (3), Shingle Hill Park (4), Dewitt Cuyler Field (5), Quigley Stadium (6), Bayview Park (7), Nike Site Park (8), Frank Field (9).
Beach: Oyster River Beach (A).
West Haven compared to Connecticut state average:
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in West Haven:
- WAVZ (1300 AM; 1 kW; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WYBC (1340 AM; 1 kW; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: YALE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WELI (960 AM; 5 kW; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WADS (690 AM; daytime; 3 kW; ANSONIA, CT; Owner: RADIO AMOR, INC.)
- WFIF (1500 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MILFORD, CT)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WQUN (1220 AM; 1 kW; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WFNW (1380 AM; 5 kW; NAUGATUCK, CT; Owner: CANDIDO DIAS CARRELO)
- WATR (1320 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WATR, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in West Haven:
- WNHU (88.7 FM; WEST HAVEN, CT; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN)
- W252AS (98.3 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: MONROE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WYBC-FM (94.3 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: YALE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKCI-FM (101.3 FM; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPLR (99.1 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WEZN-FM (99.9 FM; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WRXC (90.1 FM; SHELTON, CT; Owner: MONROE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WSHU-FM (91.1 FM; FAIRFIELD, CT; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WMNR-FM1 (88.1 FM; HUNTINGTON, CT; Owner: MONROE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WKSS (95.7 FM; HARTFORD-MERIDEN, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPKN (89.5 FM; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: WPKN, INC.)
- WWYZ (92.5 FM; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZMX (93.7 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WHCN (105.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMRQ (104.1 FM; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPKT (90.5 FM; MERIDEN, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC)
- WDRC-FM (102.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRCH (100.5 FM; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- W226AG (93.1 FM; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: SAINT THOMAS SEMINARY)
- WALK-FM (97.5 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around West Haven:
- W28AJ (Channel 28; ALLINGTOWN, CT; Owner: PAGING ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WTNH (Channel 8; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: WTNH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEDY (Channel 65; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCTX (Channel 59; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: WTNH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- W11BJ (Channel 11; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: COMMUNICATIONS SITE MANAGEMENT LLC)
- WTXX (Channel 20; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WTXX INC.)
- WEDW (Channel 49; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVIT (Channel 30; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC)
- WEDH (Channel 24; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSAH (Channel 43; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WUVN (Channel 18; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WFTY (Channel 67; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WLNY (Channel 55; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- W51BZ (Channel 51; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: it COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.