Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 17,593
Males: 8,581 (48.8%), Females: 9,012 (51.2%)
Median resident age: 30.4 years
Median household income: $53,240 (year 2000)
Median house value: $128,700 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Bear:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (64.4%)
- Black (26.8%)
- Hispanic (5.5%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
- Other race (1.8%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
- Filipino (0.5%)
Ancestries: Irish (17.9%), German (14.1%), Italian (10.2%), English (7.1%), Polish (4.6%), United States (4.2%).Delaware
Elevation: 71 feet
Land area: 5.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Bear
- High school or higher: 85.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bear CDP
- Never married: 29.1%
- Now married: 52.8%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 3.1%
- Divorced: 12.2%
4.3% Foreign born (1.8% Latin America, 1.3% Asia, 0.6% Europe, 0.5% Africa).
Homes For Sale - search of all Delaware Homes Knowledgeable, friendly Realtor />
Real Estate - - featured real estate listings, condos, land, and homes for sale. />
City Real Estate - Delaware City Home Listings Search by Bed, Bath & Price Range />
County, PA Homes - Help From A Local Expert, Scout Neighborhoods, Mortgages & More />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: DE Wilmington, (12.7 miles pop. 72,664).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: PA Philadelphia, (45.4 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: DE (4.1 miles Brookside, DE (4.1 miles Glasgow, DE Newark, (6.5 miles City, DE Delaware (7.0 miles Creek, DE (8.0 miles Pike Manor, DE (8.2 miles Wilmington DE (8.3 miles Newport, Castle, DE New (8.8 miles
Latitude: 39.62 N, Longitude: 75.68 W
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (16.5%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (15.2%), Manufacturing (13.2%), Retail trade (12.5%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -6,363 (-36.2%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 454 (5.3%)
Average climate in Bear, Delaware
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Bear-area historical tornado activity is above Delaware state average. It is 28% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/28/1961, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 8.6 miles away from the Bear city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 7/27/1994, a category 3 tornado 10.0 miles away from the city center injured 11 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Will Sheridan - College basketball player (Villanova Wildcats).
Hospitals/medical centers near Bear:
- ROCKFORD CENTER (about 8 miles; NEWARK, DE)
- DELAWARE PSYCHIATRIC CENTER (about 8 miles; NEW CASTLE, DE)
- MEADOWWOOD BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SYSTEM (about 8 miles; NEW CASTLE, DE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bear:
- NEW CASTLE COUNTY (about 7 miles; WILMINGTON, DE; ID: ILG)
- PHILADELPHIA INTL (about 36 miles; PHILADELPHIA, PA; ID: PHL)
- DOVER AFB (about 39 miles; DOVER, DE; ID: DOV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bear:
- SUMMIT (about 8 miles; MIDDLETOWN, DE; ID: EVY)
- RAINTREE (about 11 miles; ELKTON, MD; ID: 1C4)
- CECIL COUNTY (about 14 miles; ELKTON, MD; ID: 58M)
Amtrak stations near Bear:
- 6 miles: NEWARK (429 S. COLLEGE AVE.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 13 miles: WILMINGTON (M. L. KING BLVD, & FRENCH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, car rental agency, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bear:
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL & COMM COLL-STANTON-WILMINGTON (about 3 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 3,817)
- UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE (about 8 miles; NEWARK, DE; FT enrollment: 17,786)
- WILMINGTON COLLEGE (about 8 miles; NEW CASTLE, DE; FT enrollment: 3,087)
- WEST CHESTER UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 24 miles; WEST CHESTER, PA; FT enrollment: 10,419)
- WIDENER UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 27 miles; CHESTER, PA; FT enrollment: 3,646)
- DELAWARE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 29 miles; MEDIA, PA; FT enrollment: 5,248)
- IMMACULATA COLLEGE (about 30 miles; IMMACULATA, PA; FT enrollment: 2,042)
Private high schools in Bear:
- CARAVEL ACADEMY (Students: 1,034; Location: 2801 DEL LAWS ROAD; Grades: PK - 12)
- FAIRWINDS CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 287; Location: 801 SEYMOUR RD.; Grades: PK - 12)
Public primary/middle school in Bear:
- OLIVE B. LOSS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 569; Location: 200 BRENNAN BOULEVARD; Grades: 01 - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Bear:
- RED LION CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 605; Location: 1400 RED LION RD; Grades: PK - 10)
- ADVO SERV (Students: 72; Location: 4185 KIRKWOOD SAINT GEORGES RD; Grades: UG - UG)
- ADVOSERV PROGRAMS (Students: 55; Location: 4185 CUKIRKWOOD- ST GEORGE'S RD; Grades: UG - UG)
Library in Bear:
- BEAR PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $893,954; Location: 101 GOVERNOR'S PLACE; 78,128 books; 6,720 audio materials; 5,319 video materials; 226 serial subscriptions)
Notable location: Delpro Company (A).
Churches in Bear include: Red Lion Methodist Church (A), Red Lion Church (B), Saint Johns Lutheran Church (C).
Parks in Bear include: Glendale Park (1), Brookmont Farms Park (2).
Bear compared to Delaware state average:
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Bear:
- WAMS (1260 AM; 1 kW; NEWARK, DE; Owner: CAPITOL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVCH (740 AM; 50 kW; CHESTER, PA; Owner: WVCH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPEN (950 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
- WZZD (990 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: PENNSYLVANIA MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WTMC (1380 AM; 5 kW; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: STATE OF DELAWARE DEPARTMENT OF TRAN)
- KYW (1060 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WNWR (1540 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA)
- WDEL (1150 AM; 5 kW; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: DELMARVA BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPHT (1210 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WJBR (1290 AM; 3 kW; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WXHL (1550 AM; 1 kW; ELKTON, MD; Owner: PRIORITY RADIO, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Bear:
- WPLY (100.3 FM; MEDIA, PA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WSTW (93.7 FM; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: DELMARVA BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJBR-FM (99.5 FM; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WVUD (91.3 FM; NEWARK, DE; Owner: UNIVERSITYOF DELAWARE)
- WXHL-FM (89.1 FM; CHRISTIANA, DE; Owner: PRIORITY RADIO, INC.)
- WOEL-FM (89.9 FM; ELKTON, MD; Owner: MARANATHA BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC.)
- WMWX (95.7 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
- WMGK (102.9 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
- WOGL (98.1 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSNI-FM (104.5 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WBEB (101.1 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: WEAZ-FM RADIO, INC.)
- WRTI (90.1 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: TEMPLE UNIV. OF THE COMMONWEALTH, ET)
- WPHI-FM (103.9 FM; JENKINTOWN, PA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WXPN (88.5 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNA.)
- WHYY-FM (90.9 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: WHYY, INC.)
- WXTU (92.5 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: WXTU LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMHS (88.1 FM; PIKE CREEK, DE; Owner: RED CLAY CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- WXCY (103.7 FM; HAVRE DE GRACE, MD; Owner: DELMARVA BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WDSD (92.9 FM; SMYRNA, DE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMPH (91.7 FM; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: BRANDYWINE SCHOOL DIST, BRD OF EDUC)
TV broadcast stations around Bear:
- WTSD-CA (Channel 14; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: PRIORITY COMMUNICATIONS MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KYW-TV (Channel 3; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WPHL-TV (Channel 17; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- WPPX (Channel 61; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: PAXSON PHILADELPHIA LICENSE, INC.)
- WPVI-TV (Channel 6; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WPSG (Channel 57; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: VIACOM STATIONS GROUP OF PHILADELPHIA INC.)
- WCAU (Channel 10; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: NBC SUBSIDIARY (WCAU-TV), L.P.)
- WGTW (Channel 48; BURLINGTON, NJ; Owner: BRUNSON COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WYBE (Channel 35; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INDEPENDENCE PUBLIC MEDIA OF PHILADELPHIA, INC.)
- WHYY-TV (Channel 12; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: WHYY, INC.)
- W40AZ (Channel 40; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: NATIONAL MINORITY T.V., INC.)
- W55BT (Channel 55; TALLEYVILLE, DE; Owner: MEDIACASTING LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.