Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 6,161. Estimated population in July 2005: 9,121 (+48.0% change)
Males: 2,931 (47.6%), Females: 3,230 (52.4%)
Median resident age: 30.9 years
Median household income: $41,663 (year 2000)
Median house value: $119,600 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Middletown:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (71.6%)
- Black (21.3%)
- Hispanic (5.3%)
- Other race (1.9%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
Ancestries: Irish (18.0%), German (14.9%), English (12.2%), United States (8.3%), Italian (8.3%), Polish (5.0%).Delaware
Elevation: 66 feet
Land area: 6.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Middletown
- High school or higher: 78.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Middletown town
- Never married: 26.2%
- Now married: 54.0%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 10.0%
4.8% Foreign born (2.8% Latin America, 1.2% Asia, 0.9% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +2,407 (+64.1%).
Homes For Sale - search of all Delaware Homes Knowledgeable, friendly Realtor />
Real Estate - - featured real estate listings, condos, land, and homes for sale. />
City Real Estate - Delaware City Home Listings Search by Bed, Bath & Price Range />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: DE Wilmington, (23.2 miles pop. 72,664).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: PA Philadelphia, (54.2 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: DE (3.8 miles Odessa, DE Townsend, (4.4 miles City, MD Chesapeake (8.5 miles DE (10.5 miles Glasgow, MD (11.3 miles Cecilton, DE (11.7 miles Bear, City, DE Delaware (11.7 miles DE Clayton, (12.6 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2002: 63 buildings, average cost: $65,800
- 2003: 433 buildings, average cost: $64,700
- 2004: 636 buildings, average cost: $84,000
- 2005: 407 buildings, average cost: $85,700
Latitude: 39.45 N, Longitude: 75.71 W
Area code: 302
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (19.8%), Retail trade (12.8%), Educational,health and social services (12.4%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (11.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -391 (-6.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 536 (17.2%)
Average climate in Middletown, Delaware
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Middletown-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Delaware state average. It is 20% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/28/1961, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 17.9 miles away from the Middletown city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 7/27/1994, a category 3 tornado 19.6 miles away from the city center injured 11 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Dan DiNozzi - College basketball player (Delaware Fightin Blue Hens).
Hospitals/medical centers near Middletown:
- ROCKFORD CENTER (about 12 miles; NEWARK, DE)
- UNION HOSPITAL-CECIL COUNTY (about 15 miles; ELKTON, MD)
- DELAWARE PSYCHIATRIC CENTER (about 18 miles; NEW CASTLE, DE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Middletown:
- NEW CASTLE COUNTY (about 17 miles; WILMINGTON, DE; ID: ILG)
- DOVER AFB (about 30 miles; DOVER, DE; ID: DOV)
- PHILADELPHIA INTL (about 44 miles; PHILADELPHIA, PA; ID: PHL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Middletown:
- SUMMIT (about 5 miles; MIDDLETOWN, DE; ID: EVY)
- RAINTREE (about 12 miles; ELKTON, MD; ID: 1C4)
- MASSEY AERODROME (about 13 miles; MASSEY, MD; ID: MD1)
Amtrak station near Middletown:
- 16 miles: NEWARK (429 S. COLLEGE AVE.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Financial Administration ||9 ||$26,260 ||$35,013 ||0 ||$0 |
|Other and Unallocable ||8 ||$25,276 ||$37,914 ||0 ||$0 |
|Other Government Administration ||2 ||$8,938 ||$53,628 ||5 ||$1,100 |
|Electric Power ||25 ||$84,062 ||$40,349 ||0 ||$0 |
|Water Supply ||6 ||$17,450 ||$34,900 ||0 ||$0 |
|Sewerage ||5 ||$16,223 ||$38,935 ||0 ||$0 |
|Streets and Highways ||11 ||$27,588 ||$30,096 ||0 ||$0 |
|Parks and Recreation ||11 ||$26,702 ||$29,129 ||0 ||$0 |
|Totals for Government ||77 ||$232,500 ||$36,233 ||5 ||$1,100 |Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Middletown:
- UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE (about 12 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 17,786)
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL & COMM COLL-STANTON-WILMINGTON (about 12 miles; NEWARK, DE; FT enrollment: 3,817)
- WILMINGTON COLLEGE (about 18 miles; NEW CASTLE, DE; FT enrollment: 3,087)
- DELAWARE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; Dover, DE; FT enrollment: 2,641)
- WEST CHESTER UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 35 miles; WEST CHESTER, PA; FT enrollment: 10,419)
- WIDENER UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 36 miles; CHESTER, PA; FT enrollment: 3,646)
- DELAWARE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 39 miles; MEDIA, PA; FT enrollment: 5,248)
Public high school in Middletown:
- MIDDLETOWN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,706; Location: 120 SILVER LAKE ROAD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Middletown:
- ST ANDREWS SCHOOL (Students: 271; Location: 350 NOXONTOWN ROAD; Grades: 9 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Middletown:
- EVERETT MEREDITH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 886; Location: 504 SOUTH BROAD STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- REDDING (LOUIS L.) MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 724; Location: 201 NEW STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- CEDAR LANE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 607; Location: 1259 CEDAR LANE ROAD; Grades: 01 - 05)
- MOT CHARTER SCHOOL (Students: 594; Location: 1156 LEVELS ROAD; Grades: KG - 07)
- SILVER LAKE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 569; Location: 200 EAST COCHRAN STREET; Grades: 01 - 05)
- BRICK MILL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 561; Location: 378 BRICK MILL ROAD; Grades: 01 - 05)
- APPOQUINIMINK EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER (Students: 439; Location: 502 SOUTH BROAD STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Middletown:
- APPOQUINIMINK COMMUNITY LIBRARY (Operating income: $234,018; Location: 118 SILVER LAKE ROAD; 42,365 books; 1,153 audio materials; 1,043 video materials; 125 serial subscriptions)
Notable location: Succor Corners (A).
Churches in Middletown include: Saint Anns Church (A), Bethesda United Methodist Church (B), Rehoboth Church (C), Mount Calvary Baptist Church (D), Dales United Methodist Church (E), Trinity African Methodist Episcopal Church (F), Grace Orthodox Presbyterian Church (G), Saint Josephs Catholic Church (H).
Cemetery: Forest Cemetery (1).
Creek: Deep Creek (A).
Park in Middletown: Silver Lake Park (1).
Middletown compared to Delaware state average:
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- House age below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Middletown:
- WVCH (740 AM; 50 kW; CHESTER, PA; Owner: WVCH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPEN (950 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
- WZZD (990 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: PENNSYLVANIA MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- KYW (1060 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WNWR (1540 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA)
- WWLG (1370 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: M-10 BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WPHT (1210 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WBIS (1190 AM; 50 kW; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Owner: NATIONS RADIO, LLC)
- WDOV (1410 AM; 5 kW; DOVER, DE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBAL (1090 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
- WTMC (1380 AM; 5 kW; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: STATE OF DELAWARE DEPARTMENT OF TRAN)
Strongest FM radio stations in Middletown:
- WDSD (92.9 FM; SMYRNA, DE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPLY (100.3 FM; MEDIA, PA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WOEL-FM (89.9 FM; ELKTON, MD; Owner: MARANATHA BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC.)
- WRDX (94.7 FM; DOVER, DE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WXCY (103.7 FM; HAVRE DE GRACE, MD; Owner: DELMARVA BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSTW (93.7 FM; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: DELMARVA BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRTX (91.7 FM; DOVER, DE; Owner: TEMPLE UNIV OF THE C/WEALTH SYSTEM)
- WJBR-FM (99.5 FM; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Middletown:
- WTSD-CA (Channel 14; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: PRIORITY COMMUNICATIONS MINISTRIES, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.