Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 11,119. Estimated population in July 2005: 12,423 (+11.7% change)
Males: 5,610 (50.5%), Females: 5,509 (49.5%)
Median resident age: 42.4 years
Median household income: $53,042 (year 2000)
Median house value: $153,800 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Destin:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.1%)
- Hispanic (2.7%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
Ancestries: German (16.8%), English (15.0%), Irish (12.7%), United States (11.3%), Italian (5.6%), French (4.7%).Florida
Elevation: 25 feet
Land area: 7.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Destin
- High school or higher: 91.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 31.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.8%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Destin city
- Never married: 19.1%
- Now married: 59.4%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 14.2%
5.1% Foreign born (2.2% Europe, 1.1% Latin America, 1.0% Asia, 0.5% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +3,015 (+37.2%).
FL Real Estate - homes & property for sale in Destin Florida. View listings now! />
Vacation Rentals - Reef Resorts Listings for Private Homes, Townhouses & Condos. />
Beach Florida - Beaches, Southern Hospitality Free Visitor Guide />
Real Estate - Current & Local Home Listings. Find Real Estate In FL. Free! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: FL Pensacola, (50.5 miles pop. 56,255).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: AL Montgomery, (136.8 miles pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: TX Houston, (613.6 miles pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: AFB, FL (6.8 miles Eglin Lorraine, FL (7.3 miles Lake FL (8.0 miles Valparaiso, FL (8.1 miles Shalimar, Beach, FL (8.2 miles Miramar FL (8.5 miles Niceville, Bayou, FL (9.4 miles Cinco City, FL (9.6 miles Ocean
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 195 buildings, average cost: $116,700
- 1997: 343 buildings, average cost: $109,100
- 1998: 205 buildings, average cost: $175,300
- 1999: 188 buildings, average cost: $159,600
- 2000: 159 buildings, average cost: $171,600
- 2001: 147 buildings, average cost: $171,900
- 2002: 151 buildings, average cost: $222,600
- 2003: 166 buildings, average cost: $220,800
- 2004: 244 buildings, average cost: $178,500
- 2005: 135 buildings, average cost: $293,500
Latitude: 30.39 N, Longitude: 86.48 W
Area code: 850
Industries providing employment: Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (17.6%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (14.5%), Retail trade (12.6%), Educational,health and social services (10.7%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +4,378 (+39.4%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,437 (44.9%)
Average climate in Destin, Florida
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Destin-area historical tornado activity is near Florida state average. It is 37% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/25/1964, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 7.2 miles away from the Destin city center injured 4 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 12/10/1967, a category 3 tornado 23.7 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Destin:
- TWIN CITIES HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; NICEVILLE, FL)
- FORT WALTON BEACH MEDICAL CENTER (about 11 miles; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL)
- GULF COAST TREATMENT CENTER (about 11 miles; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Destin:
- HURLBURT FIELD (about 15 miles; MARY ESTHER, FL; ID: HRT)
- PENSACOLA REGIONAL (about 50 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; ID: PNS)
- PANAMA CITY-BAY CO INTL (about 58 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL; ID: PFN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Destin:
- DESTIN-FORT WALTON BEACH (about 1 miles; DESTIN, FL; ID: DTS)
- EGLIN AF AUX NR 3 DUKE (about 18 miles; VALPARAISO, FL; ID: EGI)
- FORT WALTON BEACH (about 24 miles; NAVARRE, FL; ID: 1J9)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Financial Administration ||2 ||$9,193 ||$55,158 ||1 ||$1,552 |
|Other Government Administration ||24 ||$98,302 ||$49,151 ||1 ||$646 |
|Police - Other ||0 ||$0 || ||2 ||$492 |
|Parks and Recreation ||14 ||$18,978 ||$16,266 ||7 ||$2,216 |
|Local Libraries ||3 ||$7,718 ||$30,872 ||2 ||$1,563 |
|Streets and Highways ||18 ||$49,102 ||$32,734 ||0 ||$0 |
|Totals for Government ||61 ||$183,293 ||$36,057 ||13 ||$6,469 | College/University in Destin:
- AMERICAN ACADEMY OF HYPNOSIS (Location: 10221 HWY 98W STE 13; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Destin:
- OKALOOSA-WALTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 8 miles; NICEVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,374)
- PENSACOLA JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 50 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; FT enrollment: 6,036)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF WEST FLORIDA (about 52 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; FT enrollment: 6,282)
- GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 60 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL; FT enrollment: 3,140)
- GEORGE C WALLACE STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-DOTHAN (about 95 miles; DOTHAN, AL; FT enrollment: 2,703)
- JAMES H FAULKNER STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 96 miles; BAY MINETTE, AL; FT enrollment: 2,050)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA-BALDWIN (about 98 miles; FAIRHOPE, AL; FT enrollment: 5,582)
Public primary/middle schools in Destin:
- DESTIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 848; Location: 630 KELLY STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- DESTIN MIDDLE SCHOOL/REGATTA BAY (Students: 738; Location: 689 REGATTA BAY BOULEVARD; Grades: 06 - 08)
Private primary/middle school in Destin:
- FIRST BAPTIST ACADEMY (Students: 139; Location: 201 BEACH DRIVE/PO BOX 128; Grades: KG - 7)
Notable locations in Destin: Palmetto Plaza (A), Moreno Plaza (B).
Shopping Centers: Shoreline Village Mall (1), The Shores Shopping Center (2).
Lake: Four Prong Lake (A).
Destin compared to Florida state average:
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Destin:
- WBZR (1120 AM; daytime; 2 kW; DESTIN, FL; Owner: DESTINY COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WFTW (1260 AM; 3 kW; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WFSH (1340 AM; 1 kW; VALPARAISO-NICEVILLE, FL; Owner: BAYOU COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WEBY (1330 AM; 25 kW; MILTON, FL; Owner: SPINNAKER LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WJSB (1050 AM; 5 kW; CRESTVIEW, FL; Owner: CRESTVIEW BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WZEP (1460 AM; 10 kW; DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, FL; Owner: WALTON COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WASG (550 AM; 25 kW; ATMORE, AL; Owner: 550 AM, INC)
- WJGC (1400 AM; 1 kW; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL; Owner: YESTERDAY'S RADIO NETWORK, LLC)
- WGTX (1280 AM; 5 kW; DE FUNIAK SPRINGS, FL)
- WNVY (1090 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CANTONMENT, FL; Owner: 1090-AM INC.)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WDLT (660 AM; 10 kW; FAIRHOPE, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WRNE (980 AM; 3 kW; GULF BREEZE, FL; Owner: MEDIA ONE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Destin:
- WKSM (99.5 FM; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WMMK (92.1 FM; DESTIN, FL; Owner: GULF BREEZE MEDIA, INC.)
- WNCV (100.3 FM; NICEVILLE, FL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WYZB (105.5 FM; MARY ESTHER, FL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WWAV (102.1 FM; SANTA ROSA BEACH, FL; Owner: QANTUM OF FORT WALTON BEACH LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WSBZ (106.3 FM; MIRAMAR BEACH, FL; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WZNS (96.5 FM; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WMXZ (103.1 FM; DE FUNIAK SPRINGS, FL; Owner: QANTUM OF FORT WALTON BEACH LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WTKX-FM (101.5 FM; PENSACOLA, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPSM (91.1 FM; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL; Owner: FT. WALTON BEACH EDUC. B/CNG FOUND.)
- WTKE (98.1 FM; HOLT, FL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WAAZ-FM (104.7 FM; CRESTVIEW, FL; Owner: CRESTVIEW BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Destin:
- WAWD (Channel 58; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL; Owner: RAINBOW 58 BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDES-CA (Channel 48; DESTIN, FL; Owner: BEACH TV PROPERTIES, INC.)
- W69DH (Channel 69; PANAMA CITY, FL; Owner: RICHARD & LISA GOETZ)
- W26BV (Channel 26; PANAMA CITY, FL; Owner: RICHARD C. & LISA A. GOETZ)
- WFGX (Channel 35; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL; Owner: TELEVISION FIT FOR LIFE, INC.)
- WSRE (Channel 23; PENSACOLA, FL; Owner: DST .BD. OF TRUSTEES PENSACOLA JR. COLLEGE)
- WPAN (Channel 53; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL; Owner: FRANKLIN MEDIA, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.