Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 6,943. Estimated population in July 2005: 7,162 (+3.2% change)
Males: 3,107 (44.8%), Females: 3,836 (55.2%)
Median resident age: 34.7 years
Median household income: $20,268 (year 2000)
Median house value: $48,800 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Swainsboro:
- Black (49.7%)
- White Non-Hispanic (47.6%)
- Hispanic (2.0%)
- Other race (1.2%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (19.3%), English (3.2%), Irish (3.0%), Subsaharan African (1.7%), German (1.3%).
New! Georgia forum
Elevation: 332 feet
Land area: 12.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Swainsboro
- High school or higher: 64.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.8%
- Unemployed: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Swainsboro city
- Never married: 32.4%
- Now married: 43.6%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 11.1%
- Divorced: 10.6%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -408 (-5.6%).
Homes For Sale - Current & Local Home Listings. Find Real Estate In GA. Free! />
City Guide - for Hotels, Real Estate, Weather, Maps, Yellow & White Pages />
Schools - of Top Schools in Georgia Search from 1000's of Programs! />
New Townhomes - Traton Homes available in Georgia's finest communities />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: County, GA Augusta-Richmond (61.8 miles pop. 195,182).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: GA Atlanta, (163.5 miles pop. 416,474).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (711.4 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Nunez, GA (7.1 miles) , Summertown, GA (11.2 miles) , City, GA (12.0 miles Twin GA Stillmore, (13.3 miles GA Kite, (14.3 miles Park, GA Oak (15.5 miles Garfield, GA (16.7 miles) , GA Midville, (17.1 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 16 buildings, average cost: $39,900
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $70,000
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $111,700
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $68,500
- 2000: 0 buildings
- 2001: 0 buildings
- 2002: 6 buildings, average cost: $124,800
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $197,500
- 2004: 3 buildings, average cost: $73,300
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $73,300
Latitude: 32.59 N, Longitude: 82.33 W
Area code: 478
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (24.4%), Manufacturing (21.9%), Retail trade (11.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,728 (+39.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,779 (69.7%)
Average climate in Swainsboro, Georgia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Swainsboro-area historical tornado activity is below Georgia state average. It is 9% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/13/1972, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 19.4 miles away from the Swainsboro city center injured 21 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 9/28/1963, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 2.6 miles away from the city center injured 5 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Ben Troupe - 2005 NFL player (Tennessee Titans, born: Sep 1, 1982), Deke Cooper - 2005 NFL player (Jacksonville Jaguars, born: Oct 18, 1977), Rocky Trice - College basketball player (South Carolina Gamecocks).
Hospital/medical center in Swainsboro:
- EMANUEL COUNTY HOSPITAL (117 KITE RD BOX 7)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Swainsboro:
- CANDLER COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; METTER, GA)
- MEADOWS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 27 miles; VIDALIA, GA)
- JENKINS COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 29 miles; MILLEN, GA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Swainsboro:
- AUGUSTA RGNL AT BUSH FIELD (about 60 miles; AUGUSTA, GA; ID: AGS)
- SAVANNAH/HILTON HEAD INTERNATIONAL (about 85 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; ID: SAV)
- ROBINS AFB (about 87 miles; WARNER ROBINS, GA; ID: WRB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Swainsboro:
- EMANUEL COUNTY (about 3 miles; SWAINSBORO, GA; ID: SBO)
- TREUTLEN COUNTY (about 21 miles; SOPERTON, GA; ID: 4J8)
- METTER MUNI (about 25 miles; METTER, GA; ID: MHP)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Solid Waste Management ||0 ||$0 || ||3 ||$1,807 |
|Firefighters ||12 ||$31,676 ||$31,676 ||0 ||$0 |
|Fire - Other ||1 ||$1,537 ||$18,444 ||0 ||$0 |
|Police - Other ||4 ||$5,891 ||$17,673 ||1 ||$1,395 |
|Police Protection - Officers ||17 ||$45,995 ||$32,467 ||1 ||$412 |
|Parks and Recreation ||10 ||$21,755 ||$26,106 ||7 ||$3,827 |
|Other Government Administration ||2 ||$7,414 ||$44,484 ||8 ||$4,270 |
|Financial Administration ||6 ||$13,805 ||$27,610 ||0 ||$0 |
|Totals for Government ||52 ||$128,073 ||$29,555 ||20 ||$11,710 | Colleges/Universities in Swainsboro:
- EAST GEORGIA COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 986; Location: 131 COLLEGE CIR; Public; Website: www.ega.peachnet.edu)
- SWAINSBORO TECHNICAL INSTITUTE (FT enrollment: 478; Location: 346 KITE RD; Public; Website: www.swainsboro.tec.ga.us)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Swainsboro:
- GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; STATESBORO, GA; Full-time enrollment: 12,724)
- AUGUSTA TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 59 miles; AUGUSTA, GA; FT enrollment: 2,300)
- AUGUSTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 65 miles; AUGUSTA, GA; FT enrollment: 3,778)
- GEORGIA COLLEGE AND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; MILLEDGEVILLE, GA; FT enrollment: 4,028)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT AIKEN (about 80 miles; AIKEN, SC; FT enrollment: 2,636)
- ARMSTRONG ATLANTIC STATE UNIVERSITY (about 89 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; FT enrollment: 3,945)
- MERCER UNIVERSITY (about 93 miles; MACON, GA; FT enrollment: 5,859)
Public high school in Swainsboro:
- SWAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 955; Location: 689 SOUTH MAIN STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Swainsboro:
- LIGHTHOUSE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 18; Location: 1095 HGWY 1 NORTH; Grades: 1 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Swainsboro:
- SWAINSBORO PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 893; Location: 308 TIGER TRAIL; Grades: PK - 02)
- SWAINSBORO MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 738; Location: 200 TIGER TRAIL; Grades: 06 - 08)
- SWAINSBORO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 672; Location: 258 TIGER TRAIL; Grades: 03 - 05)
- ACADEMY OF CAREER SCIENCES (Location: 615 GUMLOG ROAD; Grades: 00 - 00)
- EMANUEL COUNTY PRESCHOOL CENTER (Location: 220 JEFFERSON STREET; Grades: 00 - 00)
- CROSSROADS ALTERNATIVE (Location: TIGER TRAIL; Grades: 00 - 00)
Private primary/middle school in Swainsboro:
- SWAINSBORO CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 21; Location: POI BOX 271; Grades: KG - 11)
Notable locations in Swainsboro: Swainsboro City Hall (A), Franklin Memorial Library (B), Emanuel County Jail (C), Emanuel County Courthouse (D).
Shopping Centers: Mason Plaza Shopping Center (1), Magic Mall Industrial Park (2), Windsor Court Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Swainsboro include: Bethel Church (A), Church of the Nazarene (B), Saint James Baptist Church (C), First Baptist Church (D), First Methodist Church (E), First Presbyterian Church (F), New Mount African Methodist Episcopal Church (G), Hillcrest Church (H).
Cemeteries: Swainsboro City Cemetery (1), First Baptist Cemetery (2).
Reservoirs: Lake Caroline (A), Holloways Pond (B), Hazel Lake (C), Halloways Pond (D), Gradys Lake (E), Watson Lake (F), Lake Luck (G), Lake India (H).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Hammock Branch (A).
Park in Swainsboro: Yam Grandy State Park (1).
Post office: (A).
Swainsboro compared to Georgia state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
- Population density significantly below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Swainsboro:
- WJAT (800 AM; 1 kW; SWAINSBORO, GA; Owner: LACOM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WXRS (1590 AM; 3 kW; SWAINSBORO, GA; Owner: LACOM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WVOP (970 AM; 5 kW; VIDALIA, GA; Owner: VIDALIA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WMAC (940 AM; 50 kW; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WBAJ (890 AM; daytime; 50 kW; BLYTHEWOOD, SC; Owner: FAMILY FIRST)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMLT (1330 AM; 5 kW; DUBLIN, GA; Owner: STATE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WOKV (690 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WCNN (680 AM; 50 kW; NORTH ATLANTA, GA; Owner: DICKEY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSB (750 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WCEO (840 AM; daytime; 50 kW; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING GROUP, INC.)
- WFVR (910 AM; 50 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Swainsboro:
- WXRS-FM (100.5 FM; SWAINSBORO, GA; Owner: LACOM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WQZY (95.9 FM; DUBLIN, GA; Owner: STATE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WELT (98.1 FM; SWAINSBORO, GA; Owner: LACOM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WAKB (96.9 FM; WRENS, GA; Owner: RADIO ONE OF AUGUSTA, LLC)
- WMCD (100.1 FM; STATESBORO, GA; Owner: RADIO STATESBORO, INC.)
- WGPH (91.5 FM; VIDALIA, GA; Owner: AUGUSTA RADIO FELLOWSHIP INSTITUTE,)
- WPMX (102.9 FM; STATESBORO, GA; Owner: MULTI-SERVICE CORP.)
- WYUM (101.7 FM; MOUNT VERNON, GA; Owner: VIDALIA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WTCQ (97.7 FM; VIDALIA, GA; Owner: VIDALIA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WBMZ (104.9 FM; METTER, GA; Owner: WM. JIMMY PAGE, TR/AS RADIO METTER)
TV broadcast stations around Swainsboro:
- WCES-TV (Channel 20; WRENS, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WGSA (Channel 34; BAXLEY, GA; Owner: SOUTHERN TV CORPORATION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.