Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 64,808. Estimated population in July 2005: 69,749 (+7.6% change)
Males: 31,413 (48.5%), Females: 33,395 (51.5%)
Median resident age: 32.4 years
Median household income: $46,496 (year 2000)
Median house value: $116,500 (year 2000)
Bloomington, IL residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Bloomington:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.3%)
- Black (8.6%)
- Hispanic (3.3%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- Asian Indian (1.6%)
- Other race (1.4%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (28.2%), Irish (14.2%), English (10.8%), United States (7.1%), Italian (4.4%), Polish (3.6%).Illinois
Elevation: 829 feet
Land area: 22.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Bloomington
- High school or higher: 89.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 39.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.8%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bloomington city
- Never married: 29.7%
- Now married: 52.7%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 5.3%
- Divorced: 10.9%
4.6% Foreign born (2.4% Asia, 1.3% Latin America, 0.6% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +11,970 (+22.7%).
IL Homes - immediate online access to 1000's of local MLS listings in IL />
of Bloomington, IN - designs & neighborhood New construction, central location />
schools - search for homes zoned to great schools in Atlanta. />
Real Estate - Current Home Listings, MLS, Houses For Sale & More In MN. Free! />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: IL Chicago, (130.1 miles )
Nearest cities: IL Normal, (2.4 miles )
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 430 buildings, average cost: $87,700
- 1998: 479 buildings, average cost: $91,400
- 1999: 503 buildings, average cost: $104,500
- 2000: 363 buildings, average cost: $110,200
- 2001: 501 buildings, average cost: $113,100
- 2002: 429 buildings, average cost: $123,000
- 2003: 441 buildings, average cost: $131,300
- 2004: 425 buildings, average cost: $150,600
- 2005: 379 buildings, average cost: $152,100
Latitude: 40.48 N, Longitude: 88.98 W
Area code: 309
Bloomington, Illinois business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (24.9%), Educational,health and social services (20.7%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +17,403 (+26.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 24,610 (69.7%)
Crime in Bloomington by Year
|Type ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||3 ||2 ||3 ||3 |
| per 100,000 ||1.5 ||4.6 ||3.1 ||4.6 ||4.6 |
|Rapes ||42 ||62 ||59 ||62 ||65 |
| per 100,000 ||64.8 ||95.7 ||91.0 ||95.7 ||100.3 |
|Robberies ||59 ||98 ||67 ||98 ||95 |
| per 100,000 ||91.0 ||151.2 ||103.4 ||151.2 ||146.6 |
|Assaults ||320 ||327 ||306 ||327 ||266 |
| per 100,000 ||493.8 ||504.6 ||472.2 ||504.6 ||410.4 |
|Burglaries ||460 ||641 ||463 ||641 ||536 |
| per 100,000 ||709.8 ||989.1 ||714.4 ||989.1 ||827.1 |
|Thefts ||2,028 ||1,990 ||2,031 ||1,990 ||1,857 |
| per 100,000 ||3129.2 ||3070.6 ||3133.9 ||3070.6 ||2865.4 |
|Auto thefts ||98 ||118 ||117 ||118 ||115 |
| per 100,000 ||151.2 ||182.1 ||180.5 ||182.1 ||177.4 |
| ||340.5 ||395.8 ||354.8 ||395.8 ||357.5 |
Average climate in Bloomington, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Bloomington-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 116% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/5/1977, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 13.9 miles away from the Bloomington city center injured 2 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 7/13/2004, a category 4 tornado 24.5 miles away from the city center injured 3 people.
Birthplace of: George Lincoln Rockwell - (died 1967), Nazi Party leader, Elbert Hubbard, William Brady - College basketball player (Dayton Flyers).
Main business address for: CITIZENS FIRST FINANCIAL CORP (SAVINGS INSTITUTION, FEDERALLY CHARTERED).
Hospital/medical center in Bloomington:
- ST JOSEPH MEDICAL CENTER (2200 E WASHINGTON)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Bloomington:
- BROMENN HEALTHCARE (about 3 miles; NORMAL, IL)
- DR JOHN WARNER HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; CLINTON, IL)
- EUREKA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; EUREKA, IL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bloomington:
- CENTRAL IL REGL ARPT AT BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL (about 6 miles; BLOOMINGTON/NORMAL, IL; ID: BMI)
- DECATUR (about 46 miles; DECATUR, IL; ID: DEC)
- GREATER PEORIA REGIONAL (about 50 miles; PEORIA, IL; ID: PIA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bloomington:
- LOGAN COUNTY (about 34 miles; LINCOLN, IL; ID: AAA)
- PONTIAC MUNICIPAL (about 40 miles; PONTIAC, IL; ID: PNT)
- PIATT COUNTY (about 45 miles; MONTICELLO, IL; ID: 2K0)
Amtrak station near Bloomington:
- 3 miles: BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL (NORMAL, 100 E. PARKINSON ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Transit ||55 ||$190,377 ||$41,536 ||14 ||$13,339 |Colleges/Universities in Bloomington:
- ILLINOIS WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 2,019; Location: 1312 N PARK ST; Private, not-for-profit)
- HAIRMASTERS INSTITUTE OF COSMETOLOGY (FT enrollment: 57; Location: 506 S MCCLUN ST; Private, for-profit; Website: hairmasters.com)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Bloomington:
- ILLINOIS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 3 miles; NORMAL, IL; Full-time enrollment: 18,785)
- HEARTLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 3 miles; Normal, IL; FT enrollment: 2,390)
- MILLIKIN UNIVERSITY (about 44 miles; DECATUR, IL; FT enrollment: 2,274)
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY (about 47 miles; PEORIA, IL; FT enrollment: 5,262)
- ILLINOIS CENTRAL COLLEGE (about 55 miles; EAST PEORIA, IL; FT enrollment: 6,404)
- PARKLAND COLLEGE (about 56 miles; CHAMPAIGN, IL; FT enrollment: 5,186)
- ILLINOIS VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 57 miles; OGLESBY, IL; FT enrollment: 2,272)
Public high schools in Bloomington:
- BLOOMINGTON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,544; Location: 1202 E LOCUST ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
- REGIONAL ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL (Students: 106; Location: 408 WEST WASHINGTON; Grades: 09 - 12)
- SAFE SCHOOL PROGRAM (Students: 68; Location: 408 WEST WASHINGTON; Grades: 07 - 12)
Private high school in Bloomington:
- CENTRAL CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 324; Location: 712 N CENTER STREET; Grades: 9 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Bloomington:
- BLOOMINGTON JR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,349; Location: 901 N COLTON AVE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- NORTHPOINT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 571; Location: 2602 E COLLEGE AVE; Grades: PK - 05)
- STEVENSON ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 539; Location: 2106 ARROWHEAD DR; Grades: KG - 05)
- SHERIDAN ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 480; Location: 1403 W WALNUT ST; Grades: KG - 05)
- OAKLAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 477; Location: 1605 E OAKLAND AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- PEPPER RIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 448; Location: 2602 DANBURY DRIVE; Grades: PK - 05)
- WASHINGTON ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 434; Location: 1201 E WASHINGTON ST; Grades: KG - 05)
- IRVING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 391; Location: 602 W JACKSON ST; Grades: KG - 05)
- BENT ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 333; Location: 904 N ROOSEVELT AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- BRIGHAM ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 330; Location: 201 BRIGHAM SCH RD; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Bloomington:
- ST CLARE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 368; Location: 1909 EAST LINCOLN ST; Grades: KG - 4)
- TRINITY LUTHERAN SCHOOL (Students: 273; Location: 701 S MADISON STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- BLOOMING GROVE ACADEMY (Students: 137; Location: 510 E WASHINGTON S115; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST MARYS SCHOOL (Students: 128; Location: 603 WEST JACKSON ST; Grades: PK - 7)
- MULBERRY SCHOOL (Students: 39; Location: 320 E MULBERRY STREET; Grades: PK - 2)
- CHESTERBROOK ACADEMY (Students: 13; Location: 212 WILLIAMSBURG; Grades: KG - KG)
Library in Bloomington:
- BLOOMINGTON P.L. (Operating income: $2,910,985; Location: 205 E. OLIVE ST.; 201,697 books; 11,757 audio materials; 4,952 video materials; 745 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Bloomington: Highland Park Golf Course (A), McLean County Fairground (B), Mark Evans Observatory (C), Bloomington Country Club (D), Lakeside Country Club (E), Bible Garden (F), DeMotte Hall (G), Alice Miller Center for the Fine Arts (H), Arnold Cabana (I), McLean County Courthouse (J), McPherson Hall (K), Mclean County Arts Center (L), Mclean County Historical Museum (M), Memorial Gymnasium (N), Fred Young Fieldhouse (O), Memorial Student Center (P), Lincoln Leisure Center (Q), Merrill J Holmes Administration Building (R), Merwin Art Gallery (S), Dodds Hall (T).
Shopping Centers: Eastland Mall Shopping Center (1), Eastland Commons Shopping Center (2), Towanda Plaza Shopping Center (3), Colonial Plaza Shopping Center (4), Empire Plaza Shopping Center (5).
Churches in Bloomington include: Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church (A), Seventh Adventist Church (B), Bethel Church (C), Bloomington Bible Church (D), Bloomington West Church of God (E), Saint Matthews Episcopal Church (F), Saint Marys Roman Catholic Church (G), Saint Johns Lutheran Church (H).
Cemeteries: Saint Mary's Cemetery (1), Price Cemetery (2), Park Hill Cemetery (3), Jewish Cemetery (4), East Lawn Cemetery (5), Evergreen Cemetery (6).
Reservoir: Miller Park Lake (A).
Creek: Goose Creek (A).
Parks in Bloomington include: Ewing Park (1), Evergreen Park (2), Fell Avenue Park (3), O'Neil Park (4), Rollingbrook Park (5), Buckmann Park (6), Holiday Park (7), State Farm Park (8), General Electric Park (9).
Post office: (A).
Bloomington compared to Illinois state average:
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Bloomington:
- WJBC (1230 AM; 1 kW; BLOOMINGTON, IL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- WILL (580 AM; 5 kW; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BOARD OF TRUSTEES)
- WMBD (1470 AM; 5 kW; PEORIA, IL; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WVEL (1140 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PEKIN, IL)
Strongest FM radio stations in Bloomington:
- W264AG (100.7 FM; BLOOMINGTON, IL; Owner: CENTRAL ILLINOIS RADIO FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WBNQ (101.5 FM; BLOOMINGTON, IL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBWN (104.1 FM; LE ROY, IL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WESN (88.1 FM; BLOOMINGTON, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY)
- WIHN (96.7 FM; NORMAL, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WGLT (89.1 FM; NORMAL, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS STATE UNIVERSITY)
- W255AI (98.9 FM; BLOOMINGTON, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC.)
- WDQZ (99.5 FM; LEXINGTON, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING, LLC)
- WRPW (92.9 FM; COLFAX, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WILL-FM (90.9 FM; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BOARD OF TRUSTEES)
- WTRX-FM (93.7 FM; PONTIAC, IL; Owner: LIVINGSTON COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WWHP (98.3 FM; FARMER CITY, IL; Owner: WMS1, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Bloomington:
- W51CT (Channel 51; BLOOMINGTON, IL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WYZZ-TV (Channel 43; BLOOMINGTON, IL; Owner: WYZZ LICENSEE, INC.)
- WCIA (Channel 3; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF CHAMPAIGN, L.L.C.)
- WBUI (Channel 23; DECATUR, IL; Owner: ACME TV LICENSES OF ILLINOIS, LLC)
- WAND (Channel 17; DECATUR, IL; Owner: WAND(TV) PARTNERSHIP)
- WILL-TV (Channel 12; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BD. OF TRUSTEES)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.