Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 33,857. Estimated population in July 2005: 33,331 (-1.6% change)
Males: 16,626 (49.1%), Females: 17,231 (50.9%)
Median resident age: 37.1 years
Median household income: $37,972 (year 2000)
Median house value: $75,900 (year 2000)
Pekin, IL residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Pekin:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.8%)
- Black (2.5%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (28.4%), Irish (11.5%), English (11.3%), United States (10.2%), Italian (4.4%), French (3.7%).
New! Illinois forum
Elevation: 500 feet
Land area: 13.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Pekin
- High school or higher: 81.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pekin city
- Never married: 20.5%
- Now married: 58.1%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 8.2%
- Divorced: 12.0%
0.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +1,572 (+4.9%).
Real Estate - A Complete List of Homes. Free Search for Homes in Illinois. />
a Home? - Illinois Real Estate Find your future home />
in Peoria IL - Apartment Search at Rent.com. Report Your Lease To Us & Get $100! />
Il Rental - apartments in Peoria. Tips & Resources for Apt. Hunters. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: IL Peoria, (10.7 miles www.Rent.com )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Louis, MO St. (140.5 miles pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (160.7 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Pekin, IL (3.1 miles North Heights, IL (4.1 miles Marquette Pekin, IL (5.3 miles South IL Bartonville, (5.6 miles Coeur, IL Creve (5.9 miles IL Mapleton, (6.3 miles IL (8.6 miles Bellevue, Peoria, IL West (9.0 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 113 buildings, average cost: $68,600
- 1997: 37 buildings, average cost: $122,600
- 1998: 59 buildings, average cost: $120,500
- 1999: 78 buildings, average cost: $129,900
- 2000: 56 buildings, average cost: $125,200
- 2001: 62 buildings, average cost: $150,400
- 2002: 62 buildings, average cost: $147,200
- 2003: 74 buildings, average cost: $179,800
- 2004: 68 buildings, average cost: $176,000
- 2005: 70 buildings, average cost: $216,000
Latitude: 40.57 N, Longitude: 89.64 W
Area code: 309
Pekin, Illinois business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (19.6%), Manufacturing (18.9%), Retail trade (13.8%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -2,851 (-8.4%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 6,541 (42.8%)
Crime in Pekin by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||3.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||33 ||33 ||37 ||39 ||37 ||39 |
| per 100,000 ||97.5 ||97.5 ||109.3 ||115.2 ||109.3 ||115.2 |
|Robberies ||5 ||15 ||16 ||11 ||16 ||13 |
| per 100,000 ||14.8 ||44.3 ||47.3 ||32.5 ||47.3 ||38.4 |
|Assaults ||144 ||148 ||143 ||209 ||143 ||137 |
| per 100,000 ||425.3 ||437.1 ||422.4 ||617.3 ||422.4 ||404.6 |
|Burglaries ||201 ||295 ||251 ||243 ||251 ||177 |
| per 100,000 ||593.7 ||871.3 ||741.4 ||717.7 ||741.4 ||522.8 |
|Thefts ||840 ||616 ||1,011 ||983 ||1,011 ||717 |
| per 100,000 ||2481.0 ||1819.4 ||2986.1 ||2903.4 ||2986.1 ||2117.7 |
|Auto thefts ||44 ||47 ||42 ||52 ||42 ||38 |
| per 100,000 ||130.0 ||138.8 ||124.1 ||153.6 ||124.1 ||112.2 |
| ||282.6 ||284.6 ||323.6 ||357.9 ||323.6 ||268.8 |
Average climate in Pekin, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Pekin-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 115% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/29/1976, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 17.8 miles away from the Pekin city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 7/13/2004, a category 4 tornado 26.5 miles away from the city center injured 3 people.
Birthplace of: D.A. Points - PGA Tour Golf player (born: 12/1/76), Jeremy Crouch - College basketball player (Bradley Braves), Kevin Jones - College basketball player (Bradley Braves), Larry Kenney - (born 1947), voice actor, Matt Hagen - College basketball player (Rice Owls), Susan Dey - (born 1952), actor, Todd Peterson - College basketball player (Northern Illinois Huskies).
Hospital/medical center in Pekin:
- PEKIN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (COURT AND 14TH STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Pekin:
- METHODIST MEDICAL CENTER OF ILLINOIS (about 10 miles; PEORIA, IL)
- SAINT FRANCIS MEDICAL CENTER (about 11 miles; PEORIA, IL)
- GEORGE A ZELLER MENTAL HLTH CTR (about 14 miles; PEORIA, IL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pekin:
- GREATER PEORIA REGIONAL (about 7 miles; PEORIA, IL; ID: PIA)
- CAPITAL (about 51 miles; SPRINGFIELD, IL; ID: SPI)
- CENTRAL IL REGL ARPT AT BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL (about 52 miles; BLOOMINGTON/NORMAL, IL; ID: BMI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pekin:
- PEKIN MUNI (about 7 miles; PEKIN, IL; ID: C15)
- MANITO MITCHELL (about 11 miles; MANITO, IL; ID: C45)
- RAINBOW (about 14 miles; PEORIA, IL; ID: 7B1)
Amtrak station near Pekin:
- 8 miles: PEORIA AIRPORT (6100 W. EVERETT M. DIRKSEN PKY.) - Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Local government website:
College/University in Pekin:
- CAREER LOGICS INSTITUTE OF HAIR DESIGN (Location: 1904 SHERIDAN RD; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pekin:
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY (about 9 miles; PEORIA, IL; Full-time enrollment: 5,262)
- ILLINOIS CENTRAL COLLEGE (about 14 miles; EAST PEORIA, IL; FT enrollment: 6,404)
- ILLINOIS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; NORMAL, IL; FT enrollment: 18,785)
- HEARTLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 46 miles; Normal, IL; FT enrollment: 2,390)
- ILLINOIS WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; BLOOMINGTON, IL; FT enrollment: 2,019)
- LINCOLN LAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 57 miles; SPRINGFIELD, IL; FT enrollment: 3,756)
- UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT SPRINGFIELD (about 57 miles; Springfield, IL; FT enrollment: 2,357)
Public high school in Pekin:
- PEKIN COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 2,078; Location: 1903 COURT ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Pekin:
- FAITH BAPTIST CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 105; Location: 1501 HOWARD COURT; Grades: PK - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Pekin:
- WILSON INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 666; Location: 900 KOCH ST; Grades: 04 - 06)
- WASHINGTON INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 542; Location: 501 WASHINGTON ST; Grades: 04 - 06)
- BROADMOOR JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 436; Location: 501 MAYWOOD AVE; Grades: 07 - 08)
- EDISON JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 390; Location: 1400 EARL ST; Grades: 07 - 08)
- JEFFERSON ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 344; Location: 900 S CAPITOL ST; Grades: KG - 03)
- C B SMITH ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 299; Location: 1314 MATILDA ST; Grades: KG - 03)
- WILLOW ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 295; Location: 1110 VEERMAN ST; Grades: KG - 03)
- PEKIN PRESCHOOL FAMILY ED CENTER (Students: 248; Location: 1000 KOCH ST; Grades: PK - 11)
- L E STARKE ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 227; Location: 1610 HOLIDAY DR; Grades: PK - 03)
- SUNSET HILLS ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 195; Location: 1730 HIGHWOOD AVE; Grades: KG - 03)
Private primary/middle schools in Pekin:
- ST JOSEPH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 343; Location: 300 S SIXTH STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- GOOD SHEPHERD LUTHERAN SCHOOL (Students: 160; Location: 333 STATE ST.; Grades: PK - 8)
- KING'S KIDS CHRISTIAN LEARNING (Students: 56; Location: 1209 PARKWAY DR; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Pekin:
- PEKIN P.L. (Operating income: $933,903; Location: 301 SOUTH FOURTH ST.; 130,521 books; 3,085 audio materials; 3,664 video materials; 228 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Pekin: Pekin Commercial Park (A), Parkview Golf Course (B), Sunset Hills Golf Course (C), Pekin Public Library (D), Tazewell County Sheriff Office (E), Tazewell County Jail (F), Tazewell County Courthouse (G), Federal Correctional Institution Pekin (H), Pekin City Hall (I), Pekin Fire Station Number One (J), Pekin Fire Station Number Two (K).
Shopping Centers: Pekin Mall Shopping Center (1), Vogels Market Square Shopping Center (2), Sunset Plaza Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Pekin include: Second Reformed Church (A), Saint Paul United Church of Christ (B), Saint Paul Episcopal Church (C), Saint Joseph Catholic Church (D), Saint Johns Lutheran Church (E), First Church of the Nazarene (F), First Congregational Church (G), Pekin Southern Baptist Church (H).
Cemeteries: Lakeside Cemetery (1), Lakeview Cemetery (2), Veteran's Memorial Cemetery (3).
Lakes and reservoirs: Pekin Lake (A), Waheld Pond (B), Home Lake (C), Sunset Hills Lake Number 2 (D), Sunset Hills Lake Number 1 (E), Sunset Hills Golf Course Lake (F).
Parks in Pekin include: Everett Dirksen Park (1), John T McNaughton Park (2), James Park (3), Blinkiron Park (4), Mineral Springs Park (5), Willow Park (6).
Post office: (A).
Pekin compared to Illinois state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Pekin:
- WVEL (1140 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PEKIN, IL)
- WWFS (1290 AM; 5 kW; PEORIA, IL; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WMBD (1470 AM; 5 kW; PEORIA, IL; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WOAM (1350 AM; 1 kW; PEORIA, IL; Owner: KELLY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPEO (1020 AM; daytime; 1 kW; PEORIA, IL)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Pekin:
- WCIC (91.5 FM; PEKIN, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC.)
- WCBU (89.9 FM; PEORIA, IL; Owner: BRADLEY UNIVERSITY)
- WGLO (95.5 FM; PEKIN, IL; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF PEORIA, INC.)
- WBNH (88.5 FM; PEKIN, IL; Owner: CENTRAL ILLINOIS RADIO FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WXMP (105.7 FM; PEORIA, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WPBG (93.3 FM; PEORIA, IL; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WIXO (99.9 FM; BARTONVILLE, IL; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF PEORIA, INC.)
- WXCL (104.9 FM; PEKIN, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WPPY (101.1 FM; GLASFORD, IL; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF PEORIA, INC.)
- WSWT (106.9 FM; PEORIA, IL; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- W278AE (103.5 FM; PEORIA, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WZPW (92.3 FM; PEORIA, IL; Owner: B&G BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFYR (97.3 FM; ELMWOOD, IL; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF PEORIA, INC.)
- WWCT (96.5 FM; FARMINGTON, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WDQX (102.3 FM; MORTON, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WPMJ (94.3 FM; CHILLICOTHE, IL; Owner: KELLY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Pekin:
- WTVP (Channel 47; PEORIA, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS VALLEY PUB TELECOMM CORP)
- WHOI (Channel 19; PEORIA, IL; Owner: CHELSEY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF PEORIA, LLC)
- WEEK-TV (Channel 25; PEORIA, IL; Owner: WEEK-TV LICENSE, INC.)
- W41BO (Channel 41; PEORIA, IL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WMBD-TV (Channel 31; PEORIA, IL; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF PEORIA, L.L.C.)
- WAOE (Channel 59; PEORIA, IL; Owner: FOUR SEASONS PEORIA, LLC)
- WYZZ-TV (Channel 43; BLOOMINGTON, IL; Owner: WYZZ LICENSEE, INC.)
- W67CW (Channel 67; PEORIA, IL; Owner: M.C. PRODUCTIONS)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.