Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 17,450. Estimated population in July 2005: 17,011 (-2.5% change)
Males: 8,336 (47.8%), Females: 9,114 (52.2%)
Median resident age: 32.8 years
Median household income: $35,600 (year 2000)
Median house value: $71,100 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Huntington:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.1%)
- Hispanic (1.1%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (28.8%), United States (13.7%), Irish (9.9%), English (6.6%), French (2.6%), Italian (1.6%).Indiana
Elevation: 743 feet
Land area: 8.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Huntington
- High school or higher: 81.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.6%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Huntington city
- Never married: 26.9%
- Now married: 53.5%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 12.6%
1.1% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +352 (+2.1%).
Fort Wayne Indiana - Fun from A to Zoo. Getaways, shopping, special offers. />
Wayne Homes for Sale - Homes for Sale in Fort Wayne Ft Wayne RealEstate Houses for Sale />
Real Estate - featured real estate listings, condos, land, and homes for sale />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Wayne, IN Fort (28.8 miles pop. 205,727).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (164.0 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: IN (7.4 miles Andrews, IN (10.1 miles Roanoke, Mount Etna, IN (10.7 miles) , IN (11.5 miles Markle, IN (14.5 miles Warren, IN (14.9 miles Zanesville, IN Lagro, (16.2 miles Whitley, IN (16.7 miles South
Latitude: 40.88 N, Longitude: 85.50 W
Area code: 260
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (35.1%), Educational,health and social services (19.0%), Retail trade (11.2%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +3,070 (+17.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 5,326 (61.4%)
Crime in Huntington by Year
|Type ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||5.7 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||4 ||6 ||9 ||5 |
| per 100,000 ||22.9 ||34.4 ||51.6 ||28.7 |
|Robberies ||5 ||2 ||3 ||3 |
| per 100,000 ||28.7 ||11.5 ||17.2 ||17.2 |
|Assaults ||13 ||16 ||12 ||12 |
| per 100,000 ||74.5 ||91.7 ||68.8 ||68.8 |
|Burglaries ||57 ||60 ||55 ||61 |
| per 100,000 ||326.6 ||343.8 ||315.2 ||349.6 |
|Thefts ||363 ||332 ||429 ||448 |
| per 100,000 ||2080.2 ||1902.6 ||2458.5 ||2567.3 |
|Auto thefts ||9 ||17 ||14 ||15 |
| per 100,000 ||51.6 ||97.4 ||80.2 ||86.0 |
| ||148.6 ||143.5 ||166.4 ||164.4 |
Average climate in Huntington, Indiana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Huntington-area historical tornado activity is near Indiana state average. It is 120% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/6/1956, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 20.8 miles away from the Huntington city center killed one person and injured 31 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/11/1965, a category 4 tornado 24.3 miles away from the city center killed 4 people and injured 125 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Sean Kline - College basketball player (Indiana Hoosiers).
Hospital/medical center in Huntington:
- HUNTINGTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC (2001 STULTZ RD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Huntington:
- PARKVIEW WHITLEY HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; COLUMBIA CITY, IN)
- LUTHERAN HOSPITAL OF INDIANA (about 22 miles; FORT WAYNE, IN)
- REHABILITATION HOSPITAL OF FT WAYNE (about 22 miles; FORT WAYNE, IN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Huntington:
- FORT WAYNE INTERNATIONAL (about 23 miles; FORT WAYNE, IN; ID: FWA)
- DELAWARE COUNTY - JOHNSON FIELD (about 46 miles; MUNCIE, IN; ID: MIE)
- GRISSOM ARB (about 49 miles; PERU, IN; ID: GUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Huntington:
- HUNTINGTON MUNI (about 4 miles; HUNTINGTON, IN; ID: HHG)
- MILLER (about 22 miles; BLUFFTON, IN; ID: C40)
- WABASH MUNI (about 22 miles; WABASH, IN; ID: IWH)
Local government website:
Colleges/Universities in Huntington:
- HUNTINGTON COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 867; Location: 2303 COLLEGE AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.huntington.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- HUNTINGTON BEAUTY COLLEGE (Location: 442 N JEFFERSON PK MALL; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Huntington:
- INDIANA WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; MARION, IN; Full-time enrollment: 6,684)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-PURDUE UNIVERSITY-FORT WAYNE (about 30 miles; FT WAYNE, IN; FT enrollment: 7,385)
- BALL STATE UNIVERSITY (about 48 miles; MUNCIE, IN; FT enrollment: 17,039)
- IVY TECH STATE COLLEGE-EAST CENTRAL (about 50 miles; MUNCIE, IN; FT enrollment: 2,013)
- ANDERSON UNIVERSITY (about 53 miles; ANDERSON, IN; FT enrollment: 2,116)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-SOUTH BEND (about 74 miles; SOUTH BEND, IN; FT enrollment: 4,725)
- UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME (about 77 miles; NOTRE DAME, IN; FT enrollment: 10,633)
Public high school in Huntington:
- HUNTINGTON NORTH HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,985; Location: 450 MCGAHN ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Huntington:
- RIVERVIEW SCHOOL (Students: 622; Location: 2465 WATERWORKS RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- CRESTVIEW MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 614; Location: 1151 W 500 N; Grades: 06 - 08)
- HORACE MANN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 474; Location: 2485 WATERWORKS RD; Grades: KG - 05)
- NORTHWEST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 461; Location: 4524 W 800 N; Grades: KG - 05)
- CENTRAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 408; Location: 601 N JEFFERSON ST; Grades: KG - 05)
- LINCOLN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 359; Location: 943 SWAN ST; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Huntington:
- HUNTINGTON CATHOLIC SCHOOL (Students: 242; Location: 960 WARREN ST; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST PETER LUTHERAN SCHOOL (Students: 50; Location: 605 POLK STREET; Grades: PK - 6)
Library in Huntington:
- HUNTINGTON CITY-TWP PL (Operating income: $1,230,333; Location: 200 W MARKET ST; 100,691 books; 3,571 audio materials; 3,367 video materials; 241 serial subscriptions)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Name of hospital is: Parkview Huntington Hospital... not Huntington Memorial Hospital.
Churches in Huntington include: College Park Church (A), Mount Etna Church (B), Saint Felix Friary (C).
Cemetery: Mount Hope Cemetery (1).
Reservoir: Huntington College Lake (A).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Rabbit Run (A), Little River (B).
Parks in Huntington include: Hier Park (1), Laurie Park (2), Memorial Park (3), Kriegbaum Field (4).
Huntington compared to Indiana state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Huntington:
- WOWO (1190 AM; 50 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WBZQ (1300 AM; 1 kW; HUNTINGTON, IN; Owner: LARKO COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WONO (1380 AM; 5 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGL (1250 AM; 2 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: TRAVIS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WFCV (1090 AM; daytime; 3 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFDF (910 AM; 50 kW; FLINT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WJR (760 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WGOM (860 AM; 1 kW; MARION, IN; Owner: MID-AMERICA RADIO OF INDIANA, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Huntington:
- WCKZ (94.1 FM; ROANOKE, IN; Owner: TRAVIS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WVSH (91.9 FM; HUNTINGTON, IN; Owner: HUNTINGTON COUNTY COMM. SCH. CORP.)
- WXKE (102.9 FM; HUNTINGTON, IN; Owner: TAVIS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WLAB (88.3 FM; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: INDIANA DISTTRICT OF THE LUTHERAN CHURCH - MO SYNOD, INC.)
- WBCL (90.3 FM; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: TAYLOR UNIVERSITY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMEE (97.3 FM; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WAJI (95.1 FM; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: SARKES TARZIAN, INC.)
- WSHI (106.3 FM; COLUMBIA CITY, IN; Owner: JAMMIN' BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WBNI-FM (89.1 FM; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PUBLIC BROADCASTING OF NE IN., INC.)
- WMRI (106.9 FM; MARION, IN; Owner: MID-AMERICA RADIO OF INDIANA, INC.)
- WCJC (99.3 FM; VAN BUREN, IN; Owner: MID-AMERICA RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WKUZ (95.9 FM; WABASH, IN; Owner: UPPER WABASH BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WNHT (96.3 FM; CHURUBUSCO, IN; Owner: TRAVIS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WFWI (92.3 FM; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WBSW (90.9 FM; MARION, IN; Owner: BALL STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WCYT (91.1 FM; LAFAYETTE TOWNSHIP, IN; Owner: SOUTHWEST ALLEN COUNTY SCHOOLS)
- WLZQ (101.1 FM; SOUTH WHITLEY, IN; Owner: LARKO COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WNUY (100.1 FM; BLUFFTON, IN; Owner: WELLS COUNTY RADIO CORP.)
- WJOT-FM (105.9 FM; WABASH, IN; Owner: MID-AMERICA RADIO OF WABASH, INC.)
- WQHC-LP (105.5 FM; HUNTINGTON, IN; Owner: HUNTINGTON COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Huntington:
- WSOT-LP (Channel 57; MARION, IN; Owner: SUNNYCREST MEDIA, INC.)
- WANE-TV (Channel 15; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: INDIANA BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WFFT-TV (Channel 55; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: QUOROM OF FT. WAYNE LICENSE, LLC)
- WPTA (Channel 21; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: WPTA-TV LICENSE, INC.)
- WFWA (Channel 39; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: FORT WAYNE PUBLIC TELEVISION, INC.)
- WISE-TV (Channel 33; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: NVG-FORT WAYNE II, LLC)
- WIWU-LP (Channel 51; MARION, IN; Owner: IWU COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- W66BD (Channel 53; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: TRI-STATE CHRISTIAN TELEVISION)
- W45AG (Channel 45; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: TRAN STAR, INC.)
- DW68BN (Channel 68; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: ZONATION BROADCASTING)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.