Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 59,614. Estimated population in July 2005: 56,893 (-4.6% change)
Males: 29,398 (49.3%), Females: 30,216 (50.7%)
Median resident age: 32.1 years
Median household income: $28,018 (year 2000)
Median house value: $60,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Terre Haute:
- White Non-Hispanic (85.3%)
- Black (9.8%)
- Two or more races (1.9%)
- Hispanic (1.6%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (18.7%), United States (13.1%), Irish (10.6%), English (9.6%), Italian (2.6%), French (2.4%).Haute, Indiana
Elevation: 501 feet
Land area: 31.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Terre Haute
- High school or higher: 77.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.3%
- Unemployed: 8.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Terre Haute city
- Never married: 32.8%
- Now married: 44.3%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 12.5%
2.1% Foreign born (0.9% Asia, 0.5% Europe, 0.4% Latin America, 0.2% Africa).
Population change in the 1990s: +2,169 (+3.8%).
School Websites - Your School's Website Without Programming! />
Homes in Covington GA - new homes near Newton's newest elem. school. $130-160s. />
schools - search for homes zoned to great schools in Atlanta. />
PK-12th Grade - for PTO, PTA, ES, MS School Fundraising the EZ Way />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: IN Indianapolis, (88.2 miles pop. 781,870).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (165.2 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Terre Haute, IN (4.1 miles West Terre Haute, IN (4.7 miles North Riley, IN (8.3 miles) , IN (8.6 miles Seelyville, IN (11.4 miles Universal, IN Rosedale, (13.0 miles IN Clinton, (13.2 miles IN (13.9 miles Staunton,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 111 buildings, average cost: $64,500
- 1997: 65 buildings, average cost: $63,800
- 1998: 138 buildings, average cost: $65,700
- 1999: 101 buildings, average cost: $77,400
- 2000: 103 buildings, average cost: $89,900
- 2001: 135 buildings, average cost: $79,900
- 2002: 91 buildings, average cost: $123,500
- 2003: 84 buildings, average cost: $97,500
- 2004: 71 buildings, average cost: $101,000
- 2005: 94 buildings, average cost: $107,000
Latitude: 39.47 N, Longitude: 87.39 W
Area code: 812
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (27.4%), Retail trade (17.4%), Manufacturing (12.5%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (11.5%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +18,750 (+31.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 19,723 (78.7%)
Crime in Terre Haute by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||3 ||8 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||1.7 ||5.0 ||13.4 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||26 ||14 ||28 ||26 |
| per 100,000 ||43.6 ||23.5 ||47.0 ||43.6 |
|Robberies ||73 ||57 ||84 ||104 |
| per 100,000 ||122.5 ||95.6 ||140.9 ||174.5 |
|Assaults ||50 ||63 ||30 ||206 |
| per 100,000 ||83.9 ||105.7 ||50.3 ||345.6 |
|Burglaries ||1,099 ||1,093 ||1,127 ||949 |
| per 100,000 ||1843.5 ||1833.5 ||1890.5 ||1591.9 |
|Thefts ||3,189 ||3,625 ||3,975 ||3,824 |
| per 100,000 ||5349.4 ||6080.8 ||6667.9 ||6414.6 |
|Auto thefts ||376 ||286 ||374 ||444 |
| per 100,000 ||630.7 ||479.8 ||627.4 ||744.8 |
| ||466.1 ||474.2 ||533.8 ||566.5 |
Average climate in Terre Haute, Indiana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Terre Haute-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Indiana state average. It is 80% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/22/1960, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 5.0 miles away from the Terre Haute city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/29/1963, a category 3 tornado 13.3 miles away from the city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Evan Harruff - College basketball player (IUPUI Jaguars).
Main business address for: FIRST FINANCIAL CORP /IN/ (STATE COMMERCIAL BANKS).
Hospitals/medical centers in Terre Haute:
- HAMILTON CENTER INC (620 8TH AVE)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (501 ST ANTHONY DR)
- TERRE HAUTE REGIONAL HOSPITAL (3901 S 7TH ST)
- UNION HOSPITAL INC (1606 NORTH 7TH STREET)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Terre Haute:
- TERRE HAUTE INTERNATIONAL-HULMAN FIELD (about 7 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; ID: HUF)
- MONROE COUNTY (about 59 miles; BLOOMINGTON, IN; ID: BMG)
- COLES COUNTY MEMORIAL (about 61 miles; MATTOON/CHARLESTON, IL; ID: MTO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Terre Haute:
- SKY KING (about 5 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; ID: 3I3)
- CLINTON (about 16 miles; CLINTON, IN; ID: 1I7)
- BRAZIL CLAY COUNTY (about 22 miles; BRAZIL, IN; ID: 0I2)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Airports ||27 ||$71,727 ||$31,878 ||24 ||$24,115 | Colleges/Universities in Terre Haute:
- INDIANA STATE UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 9,597; Location: 210 N 7TH ST; Public; Website: web.indstate.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
- IVY TECH STATE COLLEGE-WABASH VALLEY (FT enrollment: 2,099; Location: 7999 US HWY 41; Public; Website: ivytech7.cc.in.us)
- ROSE-HULMAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (FT enrollment: 1,664; Location: 5500 WABASH AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.rose-hulman.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- INDIANA BUSINESS COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 236; Location: 3175 S THIRD PL; Private, for-profit; Website: indianabusinesscollege.com)
- J MICHAEL HARROLD BEAUTY ACADEMY (FT enrollment: 46; Location: 2232 WABASH AVE; Private, for-profit)
- LONG SCHOOL OF HAIR DESIGN (Location: 1123 WABASH AVE; Private, for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Terre Haute:
- DEPAUW UNIVERSITY (about 38 miles; GREENCASTLE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,197)
- EASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; CHARLESTON, IL; FT enrollment: 9,582)
- VINCENNES UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; VINCENNES, IN; FT enrollment: 6,201)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-BLOOMINGTON (about 64 miles; BLOOMINGTON, IN; FT enrollment: 33,835)
- LAKE LAND COLLEGE (about 69 miles; MATTOON, IL; FT enrollment: 3,666)
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 74 miles; WEST LAFAYETTE, IN; FT enrollment: 36,407)
- UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN (about 74 miles; Champaign, IL; FT enrollment: 36,284)
Public high schools in Terre Haute:
- TERRE HAUTE NORTH VIGO HIGH SCH (Students: 2,042; Location: 3434 MAPLE AVE; Grades: 09 - 12)
- TERRE HAUTE SOUTH VIGO HIGH SCH (Students: 1,763; Location: 3737 S 7TH ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
- BOOKER T WASHINGTON ALT SCH (Students: 95; Location: 1201 S 13TH ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Terre Haute:
- TERRE HAUTE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 135; Location: 2500 MARGARET AVENUE; Grades: PK - 12)
- GIBAULT SCHOOL FOR BOYS (Students: 105; Location: 6301 S U S HWY 41; Grades: 5 - 12; Boys only)
- GRACE BAPTIST CHURCH SCHOOL (Students: 38; Location: 1610 N 25TH ST; Grades: KG - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Terre Haute:
- HONEY CREEK MIDDLE SCH (Students: 807; Location: 6601 S CARLISLE ST; Grades: 06 - 08)
- WOODROW WILSON MIDDLE SCH (Students: 793; Location: 301 S 25TH ST; Grades: 06 - 08)
- OTTER CREEK MIDDLE SCH (Students: 748; Location: 4801 N LAFAYETTE ST; Grades: 06 - 08)
- TERRE TOWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 682; Location: 2121 BOSTON AVE; Grades: PK - 05)
- LOST CREEK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 677; Location: 6701 WABASH AVE; Grades: PK - 05)
- CHAUNCEY ROSE MIDDLE SCH (Students: 580; Location: 1275 3RD AVE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- RIO GRANDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 575; Location: 5555 E RIO GRANDE AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- SARAH SCOTT MIDDLE SCH (Students: 556; Location: 2000 S 9TH ST; Grades: 06 - 08)
- DIXIE BEE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 549; Location: 1655 E JESSICA DR; Grades: KG - 05)
- SUGAR GROVE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 484; Location: 2800 WALLACE AVE; Grades: PK - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Terre Haute:
- ST PATRICK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 323; Location: 449 S 19TH STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- SACRED HEART ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 159; Location: 1330 LAFAYETTE AVENUE; Grades: PK - 8)
- COMMUNITY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 110; Location: 2000 NORTH 13TH STREET; Grades: PK - 5)
- THE LEARNING TREE (Students: 86; Location: 1875 S FRUITRIDGE AVE; Grades: PK - KG)
- VICTORY CHRISTIAN CENTER DAY C (Students: 62; Location: 9400 E. US HWY 40; Grades: PK - KG)
- UNION HOSPITAL CHILD'S DEV CTR (Students: 54; Location: 1729 NORTH SIXTH; Grades: PK - KG)
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY (Students: 52; Location: 9185 EAST US HIGHWAY 40; Grades: PK - KG)
- UNITED CHILD CARE CENTER (Students: 16; Location: 2051 BEECH STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
- TERRE HAUTE ADVENTIST SCHOOL (Students: 14; Location: 900 S. 29TH STREET; Grades: KG - 9)
- GREATER VICTORY ACADEMY (Students: 4; Location: 1100 SOUTH 17TH STREET; Grades: KG - KG)
Library in Terre Haute:
- VIGO COUNTY PL (Operating income: $4,615,156; Location: 1 LIBRARY SQ; 238,224 books; 13,750 audio materials; 18,233 video materials; 2,016 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Terre Haute: Terre Haute Federal Penitentiary (A), Fort Harrison Country Club (B), Phoenix Country Club (C), Rea Park Golf Course (D), Torner House (E).
Shopping Center: Honey Creek Square Shopping Center (1).
Church in Terre Haute: Union Church (A).
Cemeteries: Grandview Cemetery (1), Highland Lawn Cemetery (2), Hobmeyer Cemetery (3), Mewhinney Cemetery (4), Calvary Cemetery (5), Woodlawn Cemetery (6), Rogers Cemetery (7).
Lakes and reservoirs: Malone Pond (A), Hulman Street Reservoir (B), Thompson Lake (C), Crystal Lake (D).
Parks in Terre Haute include: Collett Park (1), Fairbanks Park (2), Spencer Park (3), Vorrhees Park (4), Memorial Park (5), Sheridan Park (6).
Terre Haute compared to Indiana state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Terre Haute:
- WPFR (1480 AM; 5 kW; TERRE HAUTE, IN)
- WBOW (1300 AM; 1 kW; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: CROSSROADS INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WILL (580 AM; 5 kW; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BOARD OF TRUSTEES)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Terre Haute:
- WTHI-FM (99.9 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WAPC (91.9 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- W236AE (95.1 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: THE TRUSTEES OF INDIANA UNIVERSITY)
- WWSY (95.9 FM; SEELYVILLE, IN; Owner: BRIGHT TOWER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMHD-FM (90.7 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: ROSE-HULMAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY)
- WCRT (88.5 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: ILLINOIS BIBLE INSTITUTE)
- WMGI (100.7 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: BRIGHT TOWER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPFR-FM (93.9 FM; CLINTON, IN; Owner: WORD POWER, INC.)
- WWVR (105.5 FM; WEST TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WBOW-FM (102.7 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: CROSSROADS INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- WISU (89.7 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: INDIANA STATE UNIV. BD. OF TRUSTEES)
- WAXI (104.9 FM; ROCKVILLE, IN; Owner: CROSSROADS INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- WACF (98.5 FM; PARIS, IL; Owner: P.R.S. BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSDM-FM (97.7 FM; BRAZIL, IN; Owner: CROSSROADS INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- WMMC (105.9 FM; MARSHALL, IL; Owner: JDL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W217AS (91.3 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: PENSACOLA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Terre Haute:
- W43BV (Channel 43; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WTWO (Channel 2; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF THE MIDWEST, INC.)
- WBAK-TV (Channel 38; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: INDIANA BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WTHI-TV (Channel 10; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.