Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 9,105. Estimated population in July 2005: 9,332 (+2.5% change)
Males: 4,199 (46.1%), Females: 4,906 (53.9%)
Median resident age: 35.1 years
Median household income: $35,625 (year 2000)
Median house value: $88,200 (year 2000)
Grinnell, IA residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Grinnell:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.9%)
- Hispanic (1.6%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- Black (1.0%)
- Other Asian (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (27.2%), Irish (15.3%), English (14.2%), United States (8.8%), Norwegian (5.2%), Dutch (4.2%).
New! Iowa forum
Elevation: 1010 feet
Land area: 5.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Grinnell
- High school or higher: 85.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.8%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 11.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Grinnell city
- Never married: 33.9%
- Now married: 46.2%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 10.0%
2.9% Foreign born (1.3% Asia, 0.9% Europe, 0.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +128 (+1.4%).
Moines Real Estate - Iowa Homes for Sale, Real Estate Listings and More! />
Moines, IA Colleges - your degree in Des Moines, IA. Request free school info today! />
Moines Area Homes - list of Des Moines IA homes to you, updated daily. Fast replies. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: IA Waterloo, (57.9 miles Des.Moines.Career-Degree.net )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: City, MO Kansas (223.3 miles pop. 441,545).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (346.7 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Oakland Acres, IA (7.1 miles) , IA (10.4 miles Gilman, Searsboro, IA (11.4 miles) , IA (11.9 miles Malcom, IA (12.2 miles Lynnville, IA (12.7 miles Kellogg, IA (14.1 miles Sully, IA (16.4 miles Montour,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 7 buildings, average cost: $116,000
- 1997: 12 buildings, average cost: $147,500
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $160,500
- 1999: 18 buildings, average cost: $128,800
- 2000: 17 buildings, average cost: $128,800
- 2001: 9 buildings, average cost: $98,200
- 2002: 29 buildings, average cost: $89,400
- 2003: 31 buildings, average cost: $140,100
- 2004: 27 buildings, average cost: $145,700
- 2005: 23 buildings, average cost: $265,700
Latitude: 41.74 N, Longitude: 92.72 W
Area code: 641
Grinnell, Iowa business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (34.6%), Manufacturing (17.6%), Retail trade (10.2%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,674 (+18.4%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 3,549 (78.9%)
Crime in Grinnell by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||2 ||4 ||3 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||22.0 ||43.9 ||32.9 ||0.0 |
|Robberies ||1 ||1 ||2 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||11.0 ||11.0 ||22.0 ||0.0 |
|Assaults ||15 ||15 ||15 ||11 |
| per 100,000 ||164.7 ||164.7 ||164.7 ||120.8 |
|Burglaries ||39 ||94 ||33 ||89 |
| per 100,000 ||428.3 ||1032.4 ||362.4 ||977.5 |
|Thefts ||200 ||153 ||176 ||127 |
| per 100,000 ||2196.6 ||1680.4 ||1933.0 ||1394.8 |
|Auto thefts ||18 ||10 ||8 ||10 |
| per 100,000 ||197.7 ||109.8 ||87.9 ||109.8 |
| ||178.7 ||202.1 ||162.4 ||157.2 |
Average climate in Grinnell, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Grinnell-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 111% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/28/1986, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 19.0 miles away from the Grinnell city center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 9/16/1978, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 6.7 miles away from the city center killed 6 people and injured 45 people.
Hospital/medical center in Grinnell:
- GRINNELL REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (210 FOURTH AVENUE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Grinnell:
- SKIFF MEDICAL CENTER (about 23 miles; NEWTON, IA)
- MARSHALLTOWN MEDICAL & SURGICAL CENTER (about 25 miles; MARSHALLTOWN, IA)
- PELLA REGIONAL HEALTH CENTER (about 27 miles; PELLA, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Grinnell:
- OTTUMWA INDUSTRIAL (about 49 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; ID: OTM)
- WATERLOO MUNI (about 60 miles; WATERLOO, IA; ID: ALO)
- DES MOINES INTL (about 66 miles; DES MOINES, IA; ID: DSM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Grinnell:
- GRINNELL REGIONAL (about 4 miles; GRINNELL, IA; ID: GGI)
- SULLY MUNI (about 15 miles; SULLY, IA; ID: 8C2)
- SIG FIELD (about 20 miles; MONTEZUMA, IA; ID: 7C5)
Local government website:
College/University in Grinnell:
- GRINNELL COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,320; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.grinnell.edu)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Grinnell:
- INDIAN HILLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 54 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,744)
- IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; AMES, IA; FT enrollment: 24,473)
- HAWKEYE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 57 miles; WATERLOO, IA; FT enrollment: 3,292)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN IOWA (about 58 miles; CEDAR FALLS, IA; FT enrollment: 12,524)
- DES MOINES COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 61 miles; ANKENY, IA; FT enrollment: 6,959)
- DRAKE UNIVERSITY (about 67 miles; DES MOINES, IA; FT enrollment: 4,227)
- KIRKWOOD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 76 miles; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; FT enrollment: 7,991)
Public high school in Grinnell:
- GRINNELL COMMUNITY SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 541; Location: 1333 SUNSET ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Grinnell:
- GRINNELL COMMUNITY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 554; Location: 132 EAST STREET SO.; Grades: 05 - 08)
- DAVIS ELMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 260; Location: 818 HAMILTON AVENUE; Grades: 03 - 04)
- FAIRVIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 207; Location: 1310 HOBART ST; Grades: PK - 02)
- BAILEY PARK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 188; Location: 210 8TH AVE; Grades: KG - 02)
Private primary/middle school in Grinnell:
- GRINNELL AREA CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 14; Location: 201 380 AVE; Grades: KG - 4)
Library in Grinnell:
- STEWART PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $379,217; Location: 926 BROAD STREET, PO BOX 390; 54,516 books; 1,704 audio materials; 1,436 video materials; 195 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Grinnell: Grinnell (A), Grinnell Country Club (B), Sully Co-op Elevator (C), Ward Field (D), Mears Cottage (E), Goodnow Hall (F), Conney M Kimbo Black Cultural Center (G), Alumni Recitation Hall (H), Grinnell Fire Department (I), Grinnell Historical Museum (J), Grinnell House (K), Grinnell Police Department (L), Haines Residence Hall (M), Carnegie Hall (N), Old Glove Factory (O), Read Residence Hall (P), Rawson Residence Hall (Q), Harris Center (R), Harry Hopkins House (S), Cowles Residence Hall (T).
Churches in Grinnell include: Immanuel Lutheran Church (A), Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (B), First Baptist Church (C), Assembly of God Church (D), First Presbyterian Church (E), Saint Mary's Catholic Church (F), Saint John's Lutheran Church (G), Grace Community Church (H).
Cemetery: Hazelwood Cemetery (1).
Reservoir: Lake Arbor (A).
Parks in Grinnell include: MacEachron Field (1), Rosenbloom Football Field (2), Nyanza Park (3), Merrill Park (4), Arbor Recreation Area (5), Commemorate Grinnell Founder Historical Marker (6), Bailey Park (7), First House in Grinnell Historical Marker (8), Horace Greeley - Editor Historical Marker (9).
Post office: (A).
Grinnell compared to Iowa state average:
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Grinnell:
- KGRN (1410 AM; 1 kW; GRINNELL, IA; Owner: CRAWFORD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KPSZ (940 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KDNZ (1650 AM; 10 kW; CEDAR FALLS, IA; Owner: FIFE COMMUNICATIONS CO., LLC)
- KCNZ (1250 AM; 10 kW; CEDAR FALLS, IA; Owner: FIFE COMMUNICATION COMPANY, L.C.)
- KBGG (1700 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOI (640 AM; 5 kW; AMES, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIV., OF SCIENCE & TECH.)
- KCOB (1280 AM; 1 kW; NEWTON, IA; Owner: CENTRAL IOWA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KWLO (1330 AM; 5 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WMT (600 AM; 5 kW; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KXNO (1460 AM; 5 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Grinnell:
- KDIC (88.5 FM; GRINNELL, IA; Owner: GRINNELL COLLEGE TRUSTEES OF IOWA,)
- KRTI (106.7 FM; GRINNELL, IA; Owner: CENTRAL IOWA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KXIA (101.1 FM; MARSHALLTOWN, IA; Owner: MARSHALLTOWN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KSKB (99.1 FM; BROOKLYN, IA; Owner: FLORIDA PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- KAZR (103.3 FM; PELLA, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KCOB-FM (95.9 FM; NEWTON, IA; Owner: CENTRAL IOWA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KBOE-FM (104.9 FM; OSKALOOSA, IA; Owner: JOMAST CORPORATION)
- KZAT-FM (95.5 FM; BELLE PLAINE, IA; Owner: CAMRORY BROADCASTING, INC)
- K205CZ (88.9 FM; MARSHALLTOWN, IA; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Grinnell:
- WOI-TV (Channel 5; AMES, IA; Owner: CAPITAL COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY, INC.)
- KDIN-TV (Channel 11; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- KDSM-TV (Channel 17; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: KDSM LICENSEE, LLC)
- KPWB-TV (Channel 23; AMES, IA; Owner: PAPPAS TELECASTING OF IOWA, L.L.C.)
- WHO-TV (Channel 13; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: NEW YORK TIMES MANAGEMENT SERVICES)
- KCCI (Channel 8; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: DES MOINES HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.