Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 6,002. Estimated population in July 2005: 6,513 (+8.5% change)
Males: 2,878 (48.0%), Females: 3,124 (52.0%)
Median resident age: 25.5 years
Median household income: $42,775 (year 2000)
Median house value: $106,200 (year 2000)
Sioux Center, IA residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Sioux Center:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.7%)
- Hispanic (4.7%)
- Other race (1.6%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: Dutch (71.2%), German (13.4%), United States (2.7%), Irish (2.2%), English (1.7%), Norwegian (1.6%).Center, Iowa
Elevation: 1445 feet
Land area: 5.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Sioux Center
- High school or higher: 79.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 27.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.9%
- Unemployed: 1.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 10.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sioux Center city
- Never married: 40.2%
- Now married: 50.8%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 1.7%
6.4% Foreign born (2.3% Latin America, 1.8% North America, 1.2% Europe, 0.8% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +982 (+19.6%).
Real Estate Homes - List Of Homes For Sale Demographic Property Seach />
IA New Homes - just listed homes, townhomes, condos, and real estate for sale. />
City Real Estate - It in the Area's Most Complete Online Yellow Pages. Search Now! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: City, IA Sioux (42.8 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NE Omaha, (126.1 miles pop. 390,007).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (589.8 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: IA (7.6 miles Maurice, IA (8.3 miles Hull, City, IA Orange (9.3 miles Valley, IA (12.1 miles Rock IA (12.2 miles Ireton, Struble, IA (12.7 miles) , IA (12.7 miles Alton, IA (14.1 miles Boyden,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 27 buildings, average cost: $99,600
- 1997: 29 buildings, average cost: $105,400
- 1998: 31 buildings, average cost: $108,700
- 1999: 29 buildings, average cost: $160,700
- 2000: 35 buildings, average cost: $143,600
- 2001: 28 buildings, average cost: $139,600
- 2002: 31 buildings, average cost: $143,600
- 2003: 41 buildings, average cost: $165,900
- 2004: 38 buildings, average cost: $173,800
- 2005: 38 buildings, average cost: $169,800
Latitude: 43.08 N, Longitude: 96.17 W
Area code: 712
Sioux Center, Iowa business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (35.2%), Manufacturing (15.2%), Retail trade (11.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,432 (+23.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,607 (77.7%)
Average climate in Sioux Center, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sioux Center-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 99% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/23/1952, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.7 miles away from the Sioux Center city center injured 4 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 9/22/1968, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 8.1 miles away from the city center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Hospital/medical center in Sioux Center:
- SIOUX CTR COMM HOSPITAL & HEALTH CTR (605 SOUTH MAIN STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Sioux Center:
- ORANGE CITY MUNICIPAL HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; ORANGE CITY, IA)
- HEGG MEMORIAL CRITICAL ACCESS HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; ROCK VALLEY, IA)
- FLOYD VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; LE MARS, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sioux Center:
- SIOUX GATEWAY/COL. BUD DAY FIELD (about 49 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; ID: SUX)
- JOE FOSS FIELD (about 52 miles; SIOUX FALLS, SD; ID: FSD)
- CHAN GURNEY MUNI (about 85 miles; YANKTON, SD; ID: YKN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sioux Center:
- SIOUX CENTER MUNI (about 4 miles; SIOUX CENTER, IA; ID: SOY)
- ORANGE CITY MUNI (about 11 miles; ORANGE CITY, IA; ID: ORC)
- LE MARS MUNI (about 22 miles; LE MARS, IA; ID: LRJ)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Gas Supply ||3 ||$9,925 ||$39,700 ||0 ||$0 |
|Local Libraries ||2 ||$4,241 ||$25,446 ||10 ||$5,611 |
|Financial Administration ||3 ||$9,296 ||$37,184 ||2 ||$2,986 |
|Other and Unallocable ||8 ||$19,744 ||$29,616 ||2 ||$625 |
|Other Government Administration ||7 ||$28,263 ||$48,450 ||2 ||$2,220 |
|Police Protection - Officers ||7 ||$21,429 ||$36,735 ||1 ||$980 |
|Streets and Highways ||1 ||$3,278 ||$39,336 ||1 ||$248 |
|Airports ||0 ||$0 || ||1 ||$1,233 |
|Sewerage ||3 ||$12,294 ||$49,176 ||0 ||$0 |
|Parks and Recreation ||4 ||$10,154 ||$30,462 ||41 ||$3,263 |
|Water Supply ||3 ||$10,016 ||$40,064 ||0 ||$0 |
|Electric Power ||4 ||$15,124 ||$45,372 ||0 ||$0 |
|Totals for Government ||45 ||$143,764 ||$38,337 ||60 ||$17,166 |College/University in Sioux Center:
- DORDT COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,393; Location: 498 4TH AVE NE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.dordt.edu; Offers Master's degree)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sioux Center:
- WESTERN IOWA TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 50 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,639)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA (about 57 miles; VERMILLION, SD; FT enrollment: 6,014)
- BUENA VISTA UNIVERSITY (about 75 miles; STORM LAKE, IA; FT enrollment: 2,524)
- WAYNE STATE COLLEGE (about 84 miles; WAYNE, NE; FT enrollment: 3,026)
- SOUTHWEST STATE UNIVERSITY (about 99 miles; MARSHALL, MN; FT enrollment: 3,405)
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 99 miles; BROOKINGS, SD; FT enrollment: 7,353)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT OMAHA (about 123 miles; OMAHA, NE; FT enrollment: 10,150)
Public high school in Sioux Center:
- SIOUX CENTER HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 309; Location: 550 9TH ST NE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Sioux Center:
- KINSEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 348; Location: 550 9TH ST NE; Grades: PK - 04)
- SIOUX CENTER MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 285; Location: 550 9TH ST NE; Grades: 05 - 08)
Private primary/middle school in Sioux Center:
- SIOUX CENTER CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 420; Location: 630 FIRST AVENUE SE; Grades: KG - 8)
Library in Sioux Center:
- SIOUX CENTER PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $247,293; Location: 327 1ST AVE. NE; 42,091 books; 2,045 audio materials; 1,168 video materials; 149 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Sioux Center: Sioux County Fair Grounds (A), Sioux Center (B), Visser Elevator Incorporated Elevator (C), Farmers Co-op Society Elevator (D), Business Office (E), Admissions/Financial Aid Building (F), Advancement Office (G), Art Building (H), Art Studios (I), Covenant Residence Hall (J), B J Haan Auditorium (K), North Residence Hall (L), Maintenance Building (M), Central Heating Plant (N), Theatre Arts Wing/New World Theatre (O), Dordt College Greenhouse (P), Dordt College Gymnasium (Q), Dordt College Library (R), TePaske Theatre (S), Music Building (T).
Shopping Center: Centre Mall (1).
Churches in Sioux Center include: Hope Lutheran Church (A), Faith Christian Reformed Church (B), First Baptist Church (C), First Christian Reformed Church (D), First Reformed Church (E), New Life Reformed Church (F), Netherlands Reformed Church (G), Bethel Christian Reformed Church (H).
Cemetery: Memory Gardens Cemetery (1).
Parks in Sioux Center include: Tower Fields (1), Regency Park (2), Open Space Park (3), Westside Park (4), Childrens Park (5), Central Park (6).
Post office: (A).
Sioux Center compared to Iowa state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Sioux Center:
- KSOU (1090 AM; daytime; 1 kW; SIOUX CENTER, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KXRB (1000 AM; 10 kW; SIOUX FALLS, SD)
- KSOO (1140 AM; 10 kW; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: SOUTHERN MINNESOTA BROADCASTING CO.)
- KSCJ (1360 AM; 5 kW; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: KSUX/KSCJ RADIO BROADCASTING CO)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KLEM (1410 AM; 1 kW; LE MARS, IA; Owner: POWELL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KLOH (1050 AM; 9 kW; PIPESTONE, MN; Owner: WALLACE CHRISTENSEN)
- KELO (1320 AM; 5 kW; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: MIDCONTINENT RADIO OF S.D., INC.)
- KNWC (1270 AM; 5 kW; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KWSL (1470 AM; 5 kW; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sioux Center:
- KDCR (88.5 FM; SIOUX CENTER, IA; Owner: DORDT COLLEGE, INC.)
- KSOU-FM (93.9 FM; SIOUX CENTER, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KELO-FM (92.5 FM; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: MIDCONTINENT RADIO OF SOUTH DAKOTA, INC.)
- KIHK (106.9 FM; ROCK VALLEY, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KNWC-FM (96.5 FM; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KGLI (95.5 FM; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- KWIT (90.3 FM; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: WESTERN IOWA TECH COMM. COLLEGE)
- KIWA-FM (105.3 FM; SHELDON, IA; Owner: SHELDON BROADCASTING CO., INC)
TV broadcast stations around Sioux Center:
- KMEG (Channel 14; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: WAITT BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KPTH (Channel 44; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: PAPPAS TELECASTING OF SIOUX CITY)
- KTIV (Channel 4; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: KTIV TELEVISION, INC.)
- KELO-TV (Channel 11; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF SIOUX FALLS, INC.)
- KCAU-TV (Channel 9; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: CITADEL COMMUNICATIONS CO.LTD.)
- KDLT-TV (Channel 46; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: RED RIVER BROADCAST CO., LLC)
- KSFY-TV (Channel 13; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: ELCOM OF SOUTH DAKOTA, INC.)
- KSIN-TV (Channel 27; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- K67GH (Channel 67; OTTUMWA, IA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KAUN (Channel 36; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: RAPID BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KTTW (Channel 17; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: INDEPENDENT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- K25AA (Channel 25; ROCK RAPIDS, ETC., IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.