Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 15,345. Estimated population in July 2005: 15,440 (+0.6% change)
Males: 7,364 (48.0%), Females: 7,981 (52.0%)
Median resident age: 37.8 years
Median household income: $30,841 (year 2000)
Median house value: $59,500 (year 2000)
Great Bend, KS residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Great Bend:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (83.7%)
- Hispanic (13.2%)
- Other race (5.8%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- Black (1.6%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (36.3%), Irish (8.2%), English (7.9%), United States (7.1%), French (2.2%), Dutch (2.1%).
New! Bend, Kansas forum
Elevation: 1849 feet
Land area: 10.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Great Bend
- High school or higher: 79.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.3%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Great Bend city
- Never married: 21.3%
- Now married: 56.2%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 10.0%
- Divorced: 11.3%
7.4% Foreign born (6.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -215 (-1.4%).
City Yellow Page - local businesses with www.bestredyp.com /> Kansas. />
Center Homes - online search for affordable properties in & around Wichita, KS. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: KS Wichita, (109.6 miles www.bestredyp.com )
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: TX Dallas, (408.6 miles pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: KS Hoisington, (10.5 miles Seward, KS (13.1 miles) , KS Ellinwood, (13.6 miles Olmitz, KS (15.1 miles) , Radium, KS (15.5 miles) , Rock, KS (15.7 miles Pawnee Albert, KS (17.2 miles) , Susank, KS (19.0 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 21 buildings, average cost: $120,100
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $82,400
- 1998: 9 buildings, average cost: $118,900
- 1999: 38 buildings, average cost: $70,600
- 2000: 11 buildings, average cost: $117,800
- 2001: 11 buildings, average cost: $119,900
- 2002: 19 buildings, average cost: $74,800
- 2003: 14 buildings, average cost: $138,200
- 2004: 17 buildings, average cost: $88,700
- 2005: 49 buildings, average cost: $109,300
Latitude: 38.37 N, Longitude: 98.78 W
Area code: 620
Great Bend, Kansas business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (23.2%), Retail trade (14.5%), Manufacturing (11.0%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +884 (+5.8%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 4,867 (68.2%)
Average climate in Great Bend, Kansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Great Bend-area historical tornado activity is near Kansas state average. It is 115% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/4/1950, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 5.8 miles away from the Great Bend city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/21/2001, a category 4 tornado 9.3 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 28 people and caused $43 million in damages.
Birthplace of: Philip Anschutz - (1939- ), railroad executive.
Hospitals/medical centers in Great Bend:
- CENTRAL KANSAS MEDICAL CENTER (3515 BROADWAY ST)
- SURGICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC CTR OF GR BEND (514 CLEVELAND STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Great Bend:
- CLARA BARTON HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; HOISINGTON, KS)
- ELLINWOOD DISTRICT HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; ELLINWOOD, KS)
- LARNED STATE HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; LARNED, KS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Great Bend:
- GREAT BEND MUNI (about 6 miles; GREAT BEND, KS; ID: GBD)
- HAYS RGNL (about 47 miles; HAYS, KS; ID: HYS)
- HUTCHINSON MUNI (about 68 miles; HUTCHINSON, KS; ID: HUT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Great Bend:
- ELLINWOOD MUNI (about 14 miles; ELLINWOOD, KS; ID: 1K6)
- LARNED-PAWNEE COUNTY (about 25 miles; LARNED, KS; ID: LQR)
- STAFFORD MUNI (about 30 miles; STAFFORD, KS; ID: 3TA)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Local Libraries ||9 ||$14,544 ||$19,392 ||6 ||$2,260 |College/University in Great Bend:
- BARTON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 2,268; Location: 245 NE 30TH RD; Public; Website: www.barton.cc.ks.us)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Great Bend:
- FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 52 miles; HAYS, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,572)
- HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 64 miles; HUTCHINSON, KS; FT enrollment: 2,268)
- WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 101 miles; WICHITA, KS; FT enrollment: 10,403)
- FRIENDS UNIVERSITY (about 110 miles; WICHITA, KS; FT enrollment: 2,983)
- BUTLER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 139 miles; EL DORADO, KS; FT enrollment: 4,250)
- COWLEY COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 151 miles; ARKANSAS CITY, KS; FT enrollment: 2,392)
- KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 163 miles; MANHATTAN, KS; FT enrollment: 19,210)
Public high school in Great Bend:
- GREAT BEND HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,097; Location: 2027 MORTON; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Great Bend:
- GREAT BEND MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 529; Location: 1919 HARRISON; Grades: 07 - 08)
- RILEY ELEM (Students: 479; Location: 1515 10TH; Grades: PK - 06)
- PARK ELEM (Students: 321; Location: 1801 WILLIAMS; Grades: PK - 06)
- JEFFERSON ELEM (Students: 303; Location: 2716 24TH; Grades: KG - 06)
- EISENHOWER ELEM (Students: 300; Location: 1212 GARFIELD; Grades: KG - 06)
- LINCOLN ELEM (Students: 278; Location: 5630 BROADWAY; Grades: KG - 06)
Private primary/middle schools in Great Bend:
- ST PATRICK SCHOOL (Students: 151; Location: 4200 BROADWAY; Grades: KG - 8)
- ST ROSE OF LIMA SCHOOL (Students: 80; Location: 1400 BAKER; Grades: KG - 6)
- BEREAN CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 56; Location: 601 PATTON; Grades: PK - 5)
- GREAT BEND SDA SCHOOL (Students: 17; Location: 7 SW 30TH AVE; Grades: KG - 8)
Library in Great Bend:
- GREAT BEND PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $505,582; Location: 1409 WILLIAMS; 98,352 books; 901 audio materials; 1,441 video materials; 276 serial subscriptions)
Great Bend compared to Kansas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Great Bend:
- KVGB (1590 AM; 5 kW; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: EAGLE RADIO INC.)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KWLS (1290 AM; 5 kW; PRATT, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KNNS (1510 AM; daytime; 1 kW; LARNED, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KFTI (1070 AM; 10 kW; WICHITA, KS; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KFRM (550 AM; 5 kW; SALINA, KS; Owner: TAYLOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KOMA (1520 AM; 50 kW; OKLAHOMA CITY, OK; Owner: RENDA BROADCASTING CORP. OF NEVADA)
- KFAQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Great Bend:
- K201DG (88.1 FM; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: FLORIDA PUBLIC RADIO, INC)
- KVGB-FM (104.3 FM; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC.)
- KWBI (91.9 FM; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KBDA (89.7 FM; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- KHOK (100.7 FM; HOISINGTON, KS; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC.)
- KHCT (90.9 FM; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- K217EN (91.3 FM; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KZLS (107.9 FM; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KPRD (88.9 FM; HAYS, KS; Owner: THE PRAISE NETWORK INC.)
- KHMY (93.1 FM; PRATT, KS; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC.)
- KGGG (94.7 FM; STERLING, KS; Owner: AD ASTRA PER ASPERA BROADCASTING, INC)
- KBGL (106.9 FM; LARNED, KS; Owner: HULL BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Great Bend:
- KSNC (Channel 2; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION OF WICHITA)
- K30GD (Channel 30; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- KOOD (Channel 9; HAYS, KS; Owner: SMOKY HILLS PUBLIC TELEVISION CORP.)
- KBDK (Channel 14; HOISINGTON, KS; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KSCC-LP (Channel 14; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.