Zip Code, Radio Stations, Crime Rate, Population, Weather Forecast, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 11,887. Estimated population in July 2005: 11,664 (-1.9% change)
Males: 5,486 (46.2%), Females: 6,401 (53.8%)
Median resident age: 34.1 years
Median household income: $19,714 (year 2000)
Median house value: $58,800 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Abbeville:
- White Non-Hispanic (53.5%)
- Black (38.6%)
- Vietnamese (4.9%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
Ancestries: French Canadian (11.7%), United States (11.3%), French (11.1%), Italian (1.9%), Irish (1.8%), German (1.7%).Louisiana
Elevation: 18 feet
Land area: 5.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Abbeville
- High school or higher: 55.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.0%
- Unemployed: 10.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Abbeville city
- Never married: 27.6%
- Now married: 44.3%
- Separated: 4.0%
- Widowed: 10.5%
- Divorced: 13.7%
5.3% Foreign born (4.4% Asia, 0.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -174 (-1.4%).
Jobs - Found the Best 4 Sites About Louisiana Jobs />
Foreclosures - Foreclosures low as $10k Search Free Today! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: LA Lafayette, (18.0 miles pop. 110,257).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Rouge, LA Baton (75.8 miles pop. 227,818).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: TX Houston, (224.1 miles pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: LA (6.5 miles Erath, LA (9.3 miles Maurice, LA (9.8 miles Delcambre, LA (11.0 miles Kaplan, LA (13.0 miles Youngsville, LA (16.3 miles Broussard, LA Lafayette, (18.0 miles LA (18.5 miles Scott,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 10 buildings, average cost: $83,800
Latitude: 29.97 N, Longitude: 92.13 W
Area code: 337
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (18.5%), Retail trade (15.3%), Agriculture,forestry,fishing and hunting, and mining (11.8%), Manufacturing (10.0%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,013 (+16.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,801 (46.7%)
Crime in Abbeville (1999):
- 3 murders (26.3 per 100,000)
- 0 rapes (0.0 per 100,000)
- 15 robberies (131.5 per 100,000)
- 67 assaults (587.2 per 100,000)
- 121 burglaries (1060.5 per 100,000)
- 447 thefts (3917.6 per 100,000)
- 6 auto thefts (52.6 per 100,000) crime index = 401.5 (higher means more crime, US average = 339.3)
Average climate in Abbeville, Louisiana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Abbeville-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Louisiana state average. It is 65% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/31/1983, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.7 miles away from the Abbeville city center killed one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 12/25/1969, a category 3 tornado 9.9 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 8 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Brandon Mitchell - 2005 NFL player (Atlanta Falcons, born: Jun 19, 1975).
Hospitals/medical centers in Abbeville:
- ABBEVILLE GENERAL HOSPITAL (118 N HOSPITAL DR)
- VERMILION REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (118 N HOSPITAL DRIVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Abbeville:
- ABRAM KAPLAN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; KAPLAN, LA)
- KAPLAN REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; KAPLAN, LA)
- MEADOWBROOK REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; LAFAYETTE, LA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Abbeville:
- ACADIANA REGIONAL (about 18 miles; NEW IBERIA, LA; ID: ARA)
- LAFAYETTE REGIONAL (about 19 miles; LAFAYETTE, LA; ID: LFT)
- CHENNAULT INTL (about 72 miles; LAKE CHARLES, LA; ID: CWF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Abbeville:
- ABBEVILLE CHRIS CRUSTA MEMORIAL (about 4 miles; ABBEVILLE, LA; ID: 0R3)
- KIBS AIR PARK (about 28 miles; BRISTOL, LA; ID: L89)
- LE GROS MEMORIAL (about 28 miles; CROWLEY, LA; ID: 3R2)
Amtrak station near Abbeville:
- 20 miles: LAFAYETTE (133 E. GRANT ST.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Other Government Administration ||9 ||$14,630 ||$19,506 ||0 ||$0 |
|Financial Administration ||24 ||$38,738 ||$19,369 ||2 ||$536 |
|Judicial and Legal ||7 ||$8,429 ||$14,449 ||0 ||$0 |
|Sewerage ||4 ||$6,956 ||$20,868 ||0 ||$0 |
|Police Protection - Officers ||41 ||$96,612 ||$28,276 ||1 ||$387 |
|Firefighters ||36 ||$71,875 ||$23,958 ||0 ||$0 |
|Streets and Highways ||14 ||$18,564 ||$15,912 ||0 ||$0 |
|Parks and Recreation ||4 ||$4,209 ||$12,627 ||0 ||$0 |
|Water Supply ||17 ||$30,367 ||$21,435 ||0 ||$0 |
|Electric Power ||9 ||$16,833 ||$22,444 ||0 ||$0 |
|Other and Unallocable ||2 ||$3,173 ||$19,038 ||0 ||$0 |
|Totals for Government ||167 ||$310,387 ||$22,303 ||3 ||$923 | College/University in Abbeville:
- LOUISIANA TECHNICAL COLLEGE-GULF AREA CAMPUS (Full-time enrollment: 106; Location: 1115 CLOVER ST; Public; Website: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Abbeville:
- UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA AT LAFAYETTE (about 16 miles; LAFAYETTE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 13,673)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIV & AG & MECH & HEBERT LAWS CTR (about 72 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; FT enrollment: 28,696)
- SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY AND A & M COLLEGE (about 75 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; FT enrollment: 8,399)
- MCNEESE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 86 miles; LAKE CHARLES, LA; FT enrollment: 6,460)
- NICHOLLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 92 miles; THIBODAUX, LA; FT enrollment: 6,244)
- SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA UNIVERSITY (about 120 miles; HAMMOND, LA; FT enrollment: 12,549)
- LAMAR UNIVERSITY-BEAUMONT (about 138 miles; BEAUMONT, TX; FT enrollment: 8,888)
Public high school in Abbeville:
- ABBEVILLE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 779; Location: 1305 SENIOR HIGH DRIVE; Grades: 08 - 12)
Private high school in Abbeville:
- VERMILION CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 262; Location: 425 PARK AVENUE; Grades: 9 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Abbeville:
- J.H. WILLIAMS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 696; Location: 1105 PRAIRIE AVENUE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- JAMES A. HEROD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 519; Location: 120 ODEA STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- EATON PARK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 500; Location: 1502 SYLVESTER STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- MEAUX ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 395; Location: 12419 LA HIGHWAY 696; Grades: PK - 06)
- FORKED ISLAND/E. BROUSSARD ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 284; Location: 19635 COLUMBUS ROAD; Grades: PK - 08)
- SEVENTH WARD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 250; Location: 12012 AUDUBON ROAD; Grades: PK - 05)
Private primary/middle school in Abbeville:
- MOUNT CARMEL ELEMENTARY (Students: 460; Location: 405 PARK AVENUE; Grades: KG - 8)
Library in Abbeville:
- VERMILION PARISH LIBRARY (Operating income: $960,514; Location: 200 NORTH MAGDALEN SQUARE; 164,720 books; 4,174 audio materials; 4,687 video materials; 312 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Abbeville: Airway Industrial Park (A), Abbeville City Hall (B), Vermilion Parish Courthouse (C).
Shopping Centers: Lafitte Shopping Center (1), Tiffany Plaza Shopping Center (2), Abbeville Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Abbeville include: Mount Carmel Convent (A), First United Pentecostal Church (B), First Presbyterian Church (C), Saint James Church (D), First Baptist Church (E), Pleasant Green Baptist Church (F), Abbeville Church of Christ (G), Abbeville United Methodist Church (H).
Cemetery: Saint Mary Magdalen Cemetery (1).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Valcourt Coulee (A).
Parks in Abbeville include: Magdalen Square (1), Abbeville Commercial Historic District (2), Abbeville Residential Historic District (3), Comeaux Park (4).
Post office: (A).
Abbeville compared to Louisiana state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Abbeville:
- KROF (960 AM; 1 kW; ABBEVILLE, LA; Owner: ABBEVILLE BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- KDYS (1520 AM; 10 kW; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KVOL (1330 AM; 5 kW; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWL (870 AM; 50 kW; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Owner: ENTERCOM NEW ORLEANS LICENSE, LLC)
- WLNO (1060 AM; 50 kW; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Owner: COMMUNICOM CO. OF LOUISIANA, L.P.)
- KJCB (770 AM; 1 kW; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: R & M BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KANE (1240 AM; 1 kW; NEW IBERIA, LA; Owner: COASTAL BROADCASTING OF LAFOURCHE, L.L.C.)
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KNIR (1360 AM; 1 kW; NEW IBERIA, LA; Owner: RADIO MARIA, INC.)
- KPEL (1420 AM; 1 kW; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF LAFAYETTE, INC.)
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
- KSIG (1450 AM; 1 kW; CROWLEY, LA; Owner: ACADIA BROADCAST PARTNERS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Abbeville:
- KPEL-FM (105.1 FM; ABBEVILLE, LA; Owner: ABBEVILLE BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- KRKA (107.9 FM; ERATH, LA; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF LAFAYETTE, INC.)
- KMDL (97.3 FM; KAPLAN, LA; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF LAFAYETTE, INC.)
- KAJN-FM (102.9 FM; CROWLEY, LA; Owner: RICE CAPITAL BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KFXZ (106.3 FM; MAURICE, LA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KQIS (102.1 FM; BASILE, LA; Owner: THIRD PARTNER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KRVS (88.7 FM; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA AT LAFAYETTE)
- KFTE (96.5 FM; BREAUX BRIDGE, LA; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF LAFAYETTE, INC.)
- KSMB (94.5 FM; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KTDY (99.9 FM; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF LAFAYETTE, INC.)
- KXKC (99.1 FM; NEW IBERIA, LA; Owner: BONIN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- K220EV (91.9 FM; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- KRRQ (95.5 FM; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KSJY (90.9 FM; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Abbeville:
- KATC (Channel 3; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: KATC COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KAJN-LP (Channel 40; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: RICE CAPITAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KLPB-TV (Channel 24; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: LOUISIANA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION AUTHORITY)
- KLFY-TV (Channel 10; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: KLFY, L.P.)
- KADN (Channel 15; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: KADN-15, INC.)
- K58GA (Channel 46; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: WNTZ-48, INC.)
- K69HD (Channel 69; CHURCH POINT, LA; Owner: GULF MANAGEMENT II, L.L.C.)
- K49DE (Channel 49; NEW IBERIA, LA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- KLFT-LP (Channel 21; LAFAYETTE, LA; Owner: K. SANDOVAL BURKE)
- K54FT (Channel 54; NEW IBERIA, LA; Owner: GULF MANAGEMENT II, L.L.C.)
- KAGN-LP (Channel 65; CROWLEY, LA; Owner: RICE CAPITAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.