Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 11,000
Males: 6,641 (60.4%), Females: 4,359 (39.6%)
Median resident age: 22.0 years
Median household income: $32,993 (year 2000)
Median house value: $105,700 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Fort Polk South:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (54.6%)
- Black (27.7%)
- Hispanic (11.7%)
- Other race (5.3%)
- Two or more races (4.6%)
- American Indian (2.0%)
- Korean (0.7%)
- Filipino (0.7%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (13.7%), Irish (9.4%), United States (8.7%), Italian (4.4%), French (3.8%), English (3.3%).
New! Polk South, Louisiana forum
Land area: 6.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Fort Polk South
- High school or higher: 95.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.0%
- Unemployed: 18.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 11.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Fort Polk South CDP
- Never married: 38.2%
- Now married: 56.2%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 0.2%
- Divorced: 4.2%
7.3% Foreign born (3.1% Latin America, 2.4% Europe, 1.4% Asia).
Louisiana Hotels - Hotels, Compare Rates & Read Recent Reviews. Try TripAdvisor! />
Louisiana Hotels - low rates, unbiased reviews, nearby restaurants, maps and more! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Charles, LA Lake (57.6 miles pop. 71,757).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: LA Shreveport, (105.5 miles pop. 200,145).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: TX Houston, (173.7 miles pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Polk North, LA (4.9 miles Fort Llano, LA (6.6 miles New LA (7.8 miles Leesville, LA (10.1 miles Rosepine, Ridder, LA (14.6 miles De LA (16.9 miles Anacoco, LA (19.6 miles Simpson, LA (23.1 miles Hornbeck,
Latitude: 31.05 N, Longitude: 93.21 W
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (31.1%), Public administration (19.0%), Retail trade (14.0%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (11.0%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -5,459 (-49.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 153 (2.6%)
Average climate in Fort Polk South, Louisiana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Fort Polk South-area historical tornado activity is near Louisiana state average. It is 84% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/3/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 11.2 miles away from the Fort Polk South city center killed 9 people and injured 50 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/1/1967, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 32.5 miles away from the city center injured 2 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Fort Polk South:
- BYRD REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; LEESVILLE, LA)
- TRI PARISH REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; LEESVILLE, LA)
- BEAUREGARD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; DERIDDER, LA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Fort Polk South:
- POLK AAF (about 3 miles; FORT POLK, LA; ID: POE)
- ALEXANDRIA INTL (about 51 miles; ALEXANDRIA, LA; ID: AEX)
- CHENNAULT INTL (about 59 miles; LAKE CHARLES, LA; ID: CWF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Fort Polk South:
- LEESVILLE (about 12 miles; LEESVILLE, LA; ID: L39)
- BEAUREGARD PARISH (about 18 miles; DE RIDDER, LA; ID: DRI)
- NEWTON MUNI (about 38 miles; NEWTON, TX; ID: 61R)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Fort Polk South:
- NORTHWESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA (about 49 miles; NATCHITOCHES, LA; Full-time enrollment: 7,710)
- MCNEESE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; LAKE CHARLES, LA; FT enrollment: 6,460)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY-SHREVEPORT (about 95 miles; SHREVEPORT, LA; FT enrollment: 3,059)
- LAMAR UNIVERSITY-BEAUMONT (about 95 miles; BEAUMONT, TX; FT enrollment: 8,888)
- UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA AT LAFAYETTE (about 100 miles; LAFAYETTE, LA; FT enrollment: 13,673)
- STEPHEN F AUSTIN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 107 miles; NACOGDOCHES, TX; FT enrollment: 10,217)
- GRAMBLING STATE UNIVERSITY (about 108 miles; GRAMBLING, LA; FT enrollment: 4,299)
Notable locations in Fort Polk South: Fort Polk Library (A), Fort Polk Military Museum (B), Cummins Gym (C).
Park in Fort Polk South: La Louisiane Recreation Center (1).
Post office: (A).
Fort Polk South compared to Louisiana state average:
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Fort Polk South:
- KLLA (1570 AM; 1 kW; LEESVILLE, LA; Owner: PENE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KDLA (1010 AM; 1 kW; DE RIDDER, LA; Owner: WILLIS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KWDF (840 AM; daytime; 8 kW; BALL, LA; Owner: BALL BROADCASTING CO.)
- KWKH (1130 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KJMJ (580 AM; 5 kW; ALEXANDRIA, LA; Owner: RADIO MARIA, INC.)
- KGOL (1180 AM; 50 kW; HUMBLE, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KTXJ (1350 AM; 5 kW; JASPER, TX; Owner: LASTING VALUE RADIO, INC.)
- KLVI (560 AM; 5 kW; BEAUMONT, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KLCL (1470 AM; 5 kW; LAKE CHARLES, LA; Owner: APEX BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWL (870 AM; 50 kW; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Owner: ENTERCOM NEW ORLEANS LICENSE, LLC)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
Strongest FM radio stations in Fort Polk South:
- KUMX (106.7 FM; NORTH FORT POLK, LA; Owner: WEST CENTRAL BROADCASTING CO., INC)
- KROK (95.7 FM; SOUTH FORT POLK, LA; Owner: WEST CENTRAL BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KVVP (105.7 FM; LEESVILLE, LA; Owner: STANNARD BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KJAE (93.5 FM; LEESVILLE, LA; Owner: PENE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KBXG (99.5 FM; LAKE CHARLES, LA; Owner: APEX BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KZMZ (96.9 FM; ALEXANDRIA, LA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KNUF (92.1 FM; DE RIDDER, LA; Owner: APEX BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KQLK (97.9 FM; DE RIDDER, LA; Owner: PITTMAN BROADCASTING SERVICES, LLC)
- KYLC (90.3 FM; LAKE CHARLES, LA; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
TV broadcast stations around Fort Polk South:
- K51FO (Channel 51; LEESVILLE, LA; Owner: WHITE KNIGHT B/CING. OF NATCHEZ LICENSE CORP.)
- KPLC (Channel 7; LAKE CHARLES, LA; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- K61GO (Channel 61; HICKS, LA; Owner: WHITE KNIGHT B/CING. OF NATCHEZ LICENSE CORP.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.