Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 8,156. Estimated population in July 2005: 8,499 (+4.2% change)
Males: 3,888 (47.7%), Females: 4,268 (52.3%)
Median resident age: 34.0 years
Median household income: $38,173 (year 2000)
Median house value: $91,300 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Gonzales:
- White Non-Hispanic (63.9%)
- Black (31.3%)
- Hispanic (3.6%)
- Other race (1.6%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
Ancestries: French (17.8%), Irish (8.7%), United States (7.6%), German (5.8%), French Canadian (5.0%), English (4.8%).
New! Louisiana forum
Elevation: 10 feet
Land area: 8.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Gonzales
- High school or higher: 79.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 7.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gonzales city
- Never married: 28.8%
- Now married: 49.2%
- Separated: 3.6%
- Widowed: 5.6%
- Divorced: 12.9%
1.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +853 (+11.7%).
Louisiana Hotels - Deals, Read Reviews from Real People. Get the Truth. Then Go. />
La - Rates, Photos, and Hotel Info. Reserve Online or Call 866-90-Rooms />
Rouge Homes - Rouge Home Listings. Search Now. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Rouge, LA Baton (22.0 miles pop. 227,818).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: TX Houston, (308.3 miles pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: LA (4.9 miles Sorrento, Vincent, LA (9.3 miles Port Settlement, LA (9.9 miles French LA Donaldsonville, (10.2 miles Jefferson, LA (12.3 miles Old Gabriel, LA (12.6 miles St. LA (13.4 miles Shenandoah, St. George, LA (13.8 miles Village
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 32 buildings, average cost: $94,000
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $69,300
- 1998: 25 buildings, average cost: $87,900
- 1999: 33 buildings, average cost: $68,500
- 2000: 19 buildings, average cost: $87,000
- 2001: 24 buildings, average cost: $53,000
- 2002: 31 buildings, average cost: $108,600
- 2003: 43 buildings, average cost: $107,400
- 2004: 60 buildings, average cost: $107,200
- 2005: 134 buildings, average cost: $61,600
Latitude: 30.23 N, Longitude: 90.92 W
Area code: 225
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (17.5%), Manufacturing (15.2%), Retail trade (13.7%), Construction (13.0%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +4,653 (+57.1%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,174 (33.7%)
Crime in Gonzales by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||1 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||12.3 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||3 ||1 ||0 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||36.8 ||12.3 ||0.0 ||49.0 |
|Robberies ||2 ||5 ||8 ||8 |
| per 100,000 ||24.5 ||61.3 ||98.1 ||98.1 |
|Assaults ||31 ||36 ||34 ||30 |
| per 100,000 ||380.1 ||441.4 ||416.9 ||367.8 |
|Burglaries ||11 ||24 ||52 ||22 |
| per 100,000 ||134.9 ||294.3 ||637.6 ||269.7 |
|Thefts ||155 ||201 ||284 ||231 |
| per 100,000 ||1900.4 ||2464.4 ||3482.1 ||2832.3 |
|Auto thefts ||1 ||10 ||26 ||33 |
| per 100,000 ||12.3 ||122.6 ||318.8 ||404.6 |
| ||184.5 ||252.8 ||322.2 ||287.2 |
Average climate in Gonzales, Louisiana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Gonzales-area historical tornado activity is near Louisiana state average. It is 80% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/12/1969, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 2.3 miles away from the Gonzales city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 12/6/1983, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 29.5 miles away from the city center injured 25 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Ty Lewis - College football player (McNeese State Cowboys).
Main business address for: CROWN CRAFTS INC (BROADWOVEN FABRIC MILLS, COTTON).
Hospitals/medical centers in Gonzales:
- ASCENSION HOSPITAL (615 E WORTHY ROAD)
- ST ELIZABETH HOSPITAL (1125 WEST HIGHWAY 30)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Gonzales:
- PREVOST MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; DONALDSONVILLE, LA)
- SUMMIT HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA)
- REHAB HOSPITAL OF BATON ROUGE (about 17 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gonzales:
- BATON ROUGE METROPOLITAN, RYAN FIELD (about 25 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; ID: BTR)
- LOUIS ARMSTRONG NEW ORLEANS INTL (about 50 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; ID: MSY)
- LAKEFRONT (about 64 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; ID: NEW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gonzales:
- LOUISIANA REGIONAL (about 5 miles; GONZALES, LA; ID: L38)
- ST JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH (about 27 miles; RESERVE, LA; ID: 1L0)
- THIBODAUX MUNICIPAL (about 35 miles; THIBODAUX, LA; ID: L83)
College/University in Gonzales:
- ASCENSION COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 158; Location: 320 E ASCENSION ST; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gonzales:
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIV & AG & MECH & HEBERT LAWS CTR (about 23 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 28,696)
- SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY AND A & M COLLEGE (about 28 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; FT enrollment: 8,399)
- NICHOLLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 30 miles; THIBODAUX, LA; FT enrollment: 6,244)
- SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; HAMMOND, LA; FT enrollment: 12,549)
- TULANE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA (about 59 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; FT enrollment: 10,230)
- LOYOLA UNIVERSITY NEW ORLEANS (about 59 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; FT enrollment: 4,399)
- XAVIER UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA (about 60 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; FT enrollment: 3,659)
Public high school in Gonzales:
- EAST ASCENSION HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,007; Location: 612 EAST WORTHEY ROAD; Grades: 08 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Gonzales:
- CENTRAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 974; Location: 14101 RODDY ROAD; Grades: KG - 08)
- DUPLESSIS PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 823; Location: 38101 HIGHWAY 621; Grades: PK - 05)
- GONZALES PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 650; Location: 521 NORTH BURNSIDE AVENUE; Grades: PK - 05)
- G. W. CARVER PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 613; Location: 518 WEST OAK STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- GONZALES MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 589; Location: 1502 WEST ORICE ROTH STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
Private primary/middle schools in Gonzales:
- ST THERESA OF AVILA SCHOOL (Students: 593; Location: 212 EAST NEW RIVER ST; Grades: PK - 8)
- FAITH ACADEMY (Students: 273; Location: 10469 AIRLINE HIGHWAY; Grades: PK - 8)
- ANTIOCH CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 163; Location: 14408 E ASCENSION ACADEMY; Grades: PK - 7)
Library in Gonzales:
- ASCENSION PARISH LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,860,664; Location: 708 SOUTH IRMA BOULEVARD; 216,543 books; 2,052 audio materials; 4,988 video materials; 508 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Gonzales: Tee Joe Gonzales Museum (A), Gonzales City Hall (B), Gonzales 'Tee Joe' Museum (C), Ascension Parish Library (D), Ascension Parish Court House (E).
Shopping Centers: New River Shopping Center (1), Eastbank Shopping Center (2), The Mall on Burnside Shopping Center (3), Bayou Plaza Shopping Center (4).
Churches in Gonzales include: Southside Church of Christ (A), South Side Church of Christ (B), Seventh Day Adventist Church (C), Saint Gregorys Episcopal Church (D), Gonzales Baptist Temple (E), Gonzales United Methodist Church (F), First United Pentecostal Church (G), Saint James Lutheran Church (H).
Cemeteries: Hope Haven Mausoleum and Cemetery (1), Lusk Cemetery (2), Little Zion Baptist Cemetery (3), Saint Theresa of Avila Catholic Cemetery (4).
Parks in Gonzales include: Spartan Stadium (1), Burnside Park (2), Cornerview Park (3), Dixie Youth Park (4), Gonzales Municipal Park (5).
Post office: (A).
Gonzales compared to Louisiana state average:
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Gonzales:
- WSKR (1210 AM; 10 kW; DENHAM SPRINGS, LA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWL (870 AM; 50 kW; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Owner: ENTERCOM NEW ORLEANS LICENSE, LLC)
- KTIB (640 AM; 5 kW; THIBODAUX, LA; Owner: LA TERR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLNO (1060 AM; 50 kW; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Owner: COMMUNICOM CO. OF LOUISIANA, L.P.)
- WOMN (1110 AM; daytime; 30 kW; FRANKLINTON, LA; Owner: PITTMAN BROADCASTING SERVICES, LLC.)
- WIBR (1300 AM; 5 kW; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KBRH (1260 AM; 5 kW; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: EAST BATON ROUGE PARISH SCHOOL BOARD)
- WYNK (1380 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WXOK (1460 AM; 5 kW; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJBO (1150 AM; 5 kW; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPFC (1550 AM; 5 kW; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: VICTORY & POWER MINISTRIES,INC.)
- WFNO (830 AM; 5 kW; NORCO, LA; Owner: WFNO, L.L.C.)
- KKAY (1590 AM; 1 kW; WHITE CASTLE, LA; Owner: CACTUS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Gonzales:
- WBBE (103.3 FM; HAMMOND, LA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KSTE-FM (104.1 FM; HOUMA, LA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKW-FM (92.3 FM; LAPLACE, LA; Owner: 222 CORPORATION)
- WFMF (102.5 FM; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDGL (98.1 FM; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: GUARANTY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF BATON ROUGE, LLC)
- WYPY (100.7 FM; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: GUARANTY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF BATON ROUGE, LLC)
- KNXX (104.9 FM; DONALDSONVILLE, LA; Owner: GUARANTY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF BATON ROUGE, LLC)
- WYNK-FM (101.5 FM; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRKF (89.3 FM; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: PUBLIC RADIO INC.)
- KRVE (96.1 FM; BRUSLY, LA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJFM (88.5 FM; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: FAMILY WORSHIP CENTER CHURCH, INC.)
- KOOJ (93.7 FM; NEW IBERIA, LA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBRH (90.3 FM; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: EAST BATON ROUGE PARISH SCHOOL BOARD)
TV broadcast stations around Gonzales:
- WBRZ-TV (Channel 2; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: LOUISIANA TELEVISION BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WAFB (Channel 9; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: WAFB, L.L.C)
- WGMB (Channel 44; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: COMCORP OF BATON ROUGE LICENSE CORP.)
- WVLA (Channel 33; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: KNIGHT BROADCASTING OF BATON ROUGE LIC. CORP.)
- WTNO-LP (Channel 36; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLPB-TV (Channel 27; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: LOUISIANA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION AUTHORITY)
- WLFT-CA (Channel 52; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: BETHANY WORLD PRAYER CENTER, INC.)
- K58GB (Channel 58; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- KZUP-CA (Channel 19; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: KNIGHT BROADCASTING OF BATON ROUGE LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WBRL-CA (Channel 21; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: COMCORP OF BATON ROUGE LICENSE CORP.)
- K13VE (Channel 13; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: DAVID M. LOFLIN)
- KBTR-CA (Channel 65; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: GREAT OAKS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- K07WE (Channel 7; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: LOUISIANA CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KPBN-LP (Channel 11; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: PELICAN BROADCASTING NETWORK, L.L.C.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.