Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 23,203. Estimated population in July 2005: 23,602 (+1.7% change)
Males: 11,020 (47.5%), Females: 12,183 (52.5%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 38.3 years
Median household income: $35,652 (year 2000)
Median house value: $86,700 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Auburn:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.5%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
- Black (0.6%)
Ancestries: French (20.3%), English (18.2%), French Canadian (17.1%), Irish (14.0%), United States (6.8%), German (5.7%).
New! Maine forum
Elevation: 300 feet
Land area: 59.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Auburn
- High school or higher: 81.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.5%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Auburn city
- Never married: 25.0%
- Now married: 51.0%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 9.1%
- Divorced: 12.8%
2.3% Foreign born (0.8% Europe, 0.8% North America, 0.4% Asia, 0.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -1,157 (-4.7%).
and Sell at eBay - an eBay member and get great deals. Register now. It's free. />
Vacation - Photos, Reviews & Maps Save up to 70% at Yahoo! Travel />
Victoria Inn - B & B in Bethel, Maine Variety of Accommodations Available />
Yachtsman Lodge - ME, Marina Inn King Beds, Private Patios w/views />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: ME Portland, (29.4 miles pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (135.4 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (344.4 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: ME Lewiston, (3.4 miles ME Minot, (5.4 miles Gloucester, ME New (9.2 miles ME Sabattus, (9.4 miles ME (9.8 miles Greene, ME (10.2 miles Lisbon, Falls, ME Mechanic (10.3 miles .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 21 buildings, average cost: $77,200
- 1997: 22 buildings, average cost: $83,600
- 1998: 22 buildings, average cost: $130,300
- 1999: 20 buildings, average cost: $117,800
- 2000: 26 buildings, average cost: $129,800
- 2001: 40 buildings, average cost: $127,300
- 2002: 40 buildings, average cost: $149,700
- 2003: 49 buildings, average cost: $133,800
- 2004: 69 buildings, average cost: $176,600
- 2005: 68 buildings, average cost: $170,500
Latitude: 44.09 N, Longitude: 70.24 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (23.5%), Manufacturing (17.5%), Retail trade (14.4%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +3,628 (+15.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 4,519 (39.5%)
Crime in Auburn by Year
|Type ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||1 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||4.3 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||15 ||14 ||9 ||2 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||64.6 ||60.3 ||38.8 ||8.6 ||8.6 |
|Robberies ||13 ||10 ||8 ||9 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||56.0 ||43.1 ||34.5 ||38.8 ||17.2 |
|Assaults ||32 ||36 ||8 ||6 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||137.9 ||155.2 ||34.5 ||25.9 ||17.2 |
|Burglaries ||262 ||203 ||121 ||105 ||102 |
| per 100,000 ||1129.2 ||874.9 ||521.5 ||452.5 ||439.6 |
|Thefts ||665 ||806 ||677 ||628 ||559 |
| per 100,000 ||2866.0 ||3473.7 ||2917.7 ||2706.5 ||2409.2 |
|Auto thefts ||40 ||51 ||26 ||36 ||31 |
| per 100,000 ||172.4 ||219.8 ||112.1 ||155.2 ||133.6 |
| ||277.7 ||290.2 ||194.9 ||172.6 ||149.9 |
Average climate in Auburn, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Auburn-area historical tornado activity is above Maine state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/31/1971, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 20.0 miles away from the Auburn city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 7/8/1996, a category 2 tornado 21.0 miles away from the city center caused $10,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Lenny Breau - musician.
Main business address for: NORTHEAST BANCORP /ME/ (STATE COMMERCIAL BANKS).
Hospitals/medical centers near Auburn:
- CENTRAL MAINE MEDICAL CENTER (about 4 miles; LEWISTON, ME)
- ST MARYS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 4 miles; LEWISTON, ME)
- MID COAST HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Auburn:
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 26 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; ID: NHZ)
- PORTLAND INTL JETPORT (about 32 miles; PORTLAND, ME; ID: PWM)
- PEASE INTERNATIONAL TRADEPORT (about 81 miles; PORTSMOUTH, NH; ID: PSM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Auburn:
- AUBURN/LEWISTON MUNI (about 5 miles; AUBURN/LEWISTON, ME; ID: LEW)
- TWITCHELL (about 7 miles; TURNER, ME; ID: 3B5)
- OXFORD COUNTY REGIONAL (about 17 miles; OXFORD, ME; ID: 81B)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||500 ||$1,330,818 ||$31,939 ||56 ||$32,239 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||146 ||$262,231 ||$21,553 ||117 ||$69,686 | Colleges/Universities in Auburn:
- CENTRAL MAINE TECHNICAL COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 828; Location: 1250 TURNER ST; Public; Website: www.cmtc.net)
- MID-STATE COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 36; Location: 88 E HARDSCRABBLE RD; Private, for-profit; Website: www.midstatecollege.com)
- MR RICHARDS HAIR STYLING ACADEMY (Location: 41 BROAD ST; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Auburn:
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 28 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Full-time enrollment: 7,381)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 32 miles; STANDISH, ME; FT enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 38 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; FT enrollment: 3,172)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 41 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; FT enrollment: 2,229)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 45 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; FT enrollment: 2,251)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 83 miles; DURHAM, NH; FT enrollment: 12,586)
- PLYMOUTH STATE COLLEGE (about 100 miles; PLYMOUTH, NH; FT enrollment: 3,542)
Public high schools in Auburn:
- EDWARD LITTLE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,108; Location: 77 HARRIS ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
- FRANKLIN ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL (Students: 84; Location: 22 PINE STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Auburn:
- AUBURN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 558; Location: 38 FALCON DRIVE; Grades: 07 - 08)
- FAIRVIEW SCHOOL (Students: 503; Location: 397 MINOT AVENUE; Grades: KG - 06)
- SHERWOOD HEIGHTS ELEMENTARY SCH (Students: 471; Location: SHERWOOD DRIVE; Grades: KG - 06)
- WEBSTER INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 270; Location: 99 HAMPSHIRE STREET; Grades: 04 - 06)
- WALTON SCHOOL (Students: 221; Location: 92 MARY CARROLL STREET; Grades: KG - 06)
- WASHBURN SCHOOL (Students: 147; Location: 35 LAKE AUBURN AVENUE; Grades: KG - 03)
- LAKE STREET ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 128; Location: 80 LAKE STREET; Grades: KG - 03)
- EAST AUBURN COMMUNITY SCHOOL (Students: 102; Location: 15 ANDREW DRIVE; Grades: KG - 03)
- RETC/SOS (Students: 33; Location: PO BOX 800; Grades: 04 - 12)
- MERRILL HILL ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL (Students: 29; Location: 16 WESTERN AVENUE; Grades: 07 - 10)
Private primary/middle schools in Auburn:
- ST PETERS SCHOOL (Students: 147; Location: 135 WESTERN AVE; Grades: PK - 8)
- SMART START DEV CHILD CARE CTR (Students: 80; Location: 180 MOUNT AUBURN AVE; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Auburn:
- AUBURN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $835,435; Location: 49 SPRING STREET; 80,064 books; 2,555 audio materials; 2,201 video materials; 260 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Auburn: Prospect Hill Golf Course (A), Auburn-Lewiston Airpark Industrial Park (B), Auburn Business Park (C), Maine Commerce and Industrial Center (D), Martindale Golf Course (E), Lost Valley Ski Area (F), Kittyhawk Industrial Park (G), Barker Mill (H), Saint Joseph Rectory (I), Mid-State College Library (J), Auburn Public Library (K), Auburn Municipal Building (L), Auburn Fire Department Museum (M), Androscoggin Historical Society (N), Androscoggin County Jail (O), Androscoggin County Historical Museum (P), Androscoggin County Courthouse (Q).
Shopping Centers: Auburndale Shopping Center (1), Auburn Plaza Shopping Center (2), Auburn Mall Shopping Center (3), Taylor Brook Mall Shopping Center (4), Harvard Mill Mall Shopping Center (5), Center Street Shopping Plaza Shopping Center (6), Center 250 Shopping Center (7).
Churches in Auburn include: Sixth Street Congregational Church (A), Advent Christian Church (B), High Street Congregational Church (C), Stevens Mill Church (D), East Auburn Baptist Church (E), Church of the Nazarene (F), Auburn Baptist Church (G), Court Street Baptist Church (H).
Cemeteries: Libby Cemetery (1), Oak Hill Cemetery (2), North River Road Cemetery (3), North Auburn Cemetery (4), Auburn Plains Cemetery (5), Fitz Cemetery (6), Davis Cemetery (7).
Lakes and reservoirs: Auburn, Lake (A), Taylor Pond (B), Barker Mill Dam Pond (C), Talor Brook (D), Lake Auburn (E), Gulf Island Pond (F), The Basin (G), Androscoggin River Reservoir (H).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Lapham Brook (A), Soper Mill Brook (B), Hodgkins Brook (C), Moose Brook (D), Taylor Brook (E), Little Androscoggin River (F).
Parks in Auburn include: Pulsifer Field (1), Main Street Historic District (2), Tot Lot (3), Pettingill Park (4), Lakeview Fields (5), Rodney Bonney Memorial Park (6), West Pitch Park (7), Moulton Park (8), Raymond Park (9).
Beach: Auburn Municipal Beach (A).
Post office: (A).
Auburn compared to Maine state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Auburn:
- WLAM (1470 AM; 5 kW; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WCNM (1240 AM; 1 kW; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: CHRISTIAN FAMILY RADIO, INC.)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WLOB (1310 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WZAN (970 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WJAE (1440 AM; 5 kW; WESTBROOK, ME; Owner: ALTANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WJJB (900 AM; 1 kW; BRUNSWICK, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Auburn:
- WTHT (107.5 FM; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WMEK-FM (99.9 FM; AUBURN, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WBLM (102.9 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJBQ (97.9 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCYI (93.9 FM; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEA (90.1 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMTW-FM (106.7 FM; NORTH WINDHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLOB-FM (96.3 FM; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPOR (101.9 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WJJB-FM (95.5 FM; TOPSHAM, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WCLZ (98.9 FM; BRUNSWICK, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTBM (100.7 FM; MEXICO, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBCI (105.9 FM; BATH, ME; Owner: BLOUNT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMSJ (89.3 FM; FREEPORT, ME; Owner: DOWNEAST CHRISTIAN COMMUNICATIONS)
- WOXO-FM (92.7 FM; NORWAY, ME; Owner: TRI-COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMGX (93.1 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WRBC (91.5 FM; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: PRES. & TRUSTEES OF BATES COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Auburn:
- WGME-TV (Channel 13; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: WGME LICENSEE, LLC)
- WPFO (Channel 23; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: CMCG PORTLAND LICENSE LLC)
- WPXT (Channel 51; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: HMW, INC.)
- WPME (Channel 35; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: KB PRIME MEDIA LLC)
- WCBB (Channel 10; AUGUSTA, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WMTW-TV (Channel 8; POLAND SPRING, ME; Owner: WMTW BROADCAST GROUP, LLC)
- WCSH (Channel 6; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: PACIFIC AND SOUTHERN COMPANY, INC.)
- W32CA (Channel 32; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: NATIONAL MINORITY T.V., INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.