Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 6,476. Estimated population in July 2005: 6,317 (-2.5% change)
Males: 3,023 (46.7%), Females: 3,453 (53.3%)
Median resident age: 40.2 years
Median household income: $26,212 (year 2000)
Median house value: $58,100 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Houlton:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.9%)
- American Indian (4.6%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (17.9%), United States (17.5%), Irish (14.7%), French (9.0%), Scottish (3.6%), Scotch-Irish (3.5%).
New! Maine forum
Elevation: 366 feet
Land area: 7.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Houlton
- High school or higher: 77.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.8%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 13.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Houlton town
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 53.5%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 12.4%
- Divorced: 10.6%
4.1% Foreign born (3.5% North America, 0.4% Europe).
Maine Real Estate - Machias Area MLS Destiny Realty The Maine Connection />
and Sell at eBay - an eBay member and get great deals. Register now. It's free. />
Skiing - Ski & Snowboard Vacations. Custom Maine Packages On-Line />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: ME Portland, (238.2 miles pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (344.9 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (561.1 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: ME Houlton, (0.0 miles ME (5.1 miles Hodgdon, ME (7.5 miles Littleton, Limerick, ME (8.5 miles New ME Linneus, (10.2 miles ME (12.9 miles Monticello, ME (13.9 miles Ludlow, Orient, ME (21.1 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 1 building, cost: $70,000
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $40,000
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $40,000
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $78,000
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $38,300
- 2001: 3 buildings, average cost: $177,000
- 2002: 5 buildings, average cost: $100,500
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $119,300
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $122,500
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $70,000
Latitude: 46.12 N, Longitude: 67.84 W
Area code: 207
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (27.2%), Retail trade (15.4%).
Crime in Houlton by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||8 ||6 ||4 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||123.5 ||92.6 ||61.8 ||92.6 |
|Robberies ||0 ||0 ||1 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||15.4 ||30.9 |
|Assaults ||1 ||1 ||0 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||15.4 ||15.4 ||0.0 ||15.4 |
|Burglaries ||77 ||52 ||60 ||59 |
| per 100,000 ||1189.0 ||803.0 ||926.5 ||911.1 |
|Thefts ||225 ||192 ||158 ||176 |
| per 100,000 ||3474.4 ||2964.8 ||2439.8 ||2717.7 |
|Auto thefts ||6 ||17 ||9 ||7 |
| per 100,000 ||92.6 ||262.5 ||139.0 ||108.1 |
| ||282.1 ||235.9 ||202.9 ||230.5 |
Average climate in Houlton, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Birthplace of: Samantha Smith - (1972-1985), social activist, actress.
Hospital/medical center in Houlton:
- HOULTON REGIONAL HOSPITAL (20 HARTFORD ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Houlton:
- AROOSTOOK MEDICAL CENTER,THE (about 40 miles; PRESQUE ISLE, ME)
- CARY MEDICAL CENTER (about 54 miles; CARIBOU, ME)
- PENOBSCOT VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 69 miles; LINCOLN, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Houlton:
- NORTHERN MAINE REGIONAL ARPT AT PRESQUE IS (about 41 miles; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; ID: PQI)
- BANGOR INTL (about 114 miles; BANGOR, ME; ID: BGR)
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 212 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; ID: NHZ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Houlton:
- HOULTON INTL (about 4 miles; HOULTON, ME; ID: HUL)
- NORTHERN MAINE REGIONAL (about 43 miles; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; ID: 83B)
- SHIN POND (about 50 miles; PATTEN, ME; ID: 85B)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Houlton:
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE (about 95 miles; ORONO, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,590)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 181 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; FT enrollment: 3,172)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 187 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; FT enrollment: 2,229)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 239 miles; PORTLAND, ME; FT enrollment: 7,381)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 249 miles; STANDISH, ME; FT enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 257 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; FT enrollment: 2,251)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 299 miles; DURHAM, NH; FT enrollment: 12,586)
Public high schools in Houlton:
- HOULTON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 361; Location: 7 BIRD STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
- REGION TWO SCH OF APPLIED TECH (Location: 5 BIRD ST PO BOX 307; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Houlton:
- GREATER HOULTON CHRISTIAN ACA (Students: 145; Location: 27 SCHOOL ST; Grades: KG - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Houlton:
- HOULTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 371; Location: 60 SOUTH STREET; Grades: PK - 03)
- HOULTON SOUTHSIDE SCHOOL (Students: 278; Location: 65 SOUTH STREET; Grades: 04 - 06)
- HOULTON JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 211; Location: 7 BIRD STREET; Grades: 07 - 08)
Library in Houlton:
- HOULTON - CARY LIBRARY (Operating income: $171,788; Location: 107 MAIN STREET; 36,909 books; 696 audio materials; 1,392 video materials; 105 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Houlton: Cary Library (A), Black Hawke Tavern Museum (B), Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum (C), Aroostook County Courthouse and Jail (D), Houlton Town Office (E), Houlton Regional Hospital Library (F), Houlton Grange (G), Houlton Community Arena (H), Houlton Chamber of Commerce (I), White Memorial Building (J).
Shopping Centers: Houlton Shopping Plaza Shopping Center (1), Houltons Market Square Shopping Center (2), Plaza Shopping Center (3), C and G Shopping Center (4).
Churches in Houlton include: Military Street Baptist Church (A), Gospel Light Baptist Church (B), Shiretown Baptist Church (C), Christian Missionary Alliance Church (D), First Church of Houlton Unitarian Universalist (E), Church of the Good Shepherd Episcopal Church (F), Salvation Army (G), Saint Marys Roman Catholic Church (H).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Pearce Brook (A), Cook Brook (B).
Parks in Houlton include: Monument Park (1), Market Square Historic District (2), Houlton Community Park (3).
Post office: (A).
Houlton compared to Maine state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Houlton:
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Houlton:
- WQHR (96.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOZI (101.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEM (106.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHOU-FM (100.1 FM; HOULTON, ME; Owner: COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBPW (96.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.