Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 7,609. Estimated population in July 2005: 7,658 (+0.6% change)
Males: 3,509 (46.1%), Females: 4,100 (53.9%)
Median resident age: 40.9 years
Median household income: $30,209 (year 2000)
Median house value: $82,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Rockland:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.5%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (21.8%), Irish (13.6%), United States (10.3%), French (5.9%), German (5.7%), Italian (5.4%).
New! Maine forum
Elevation: 35 feet
Land area: 12.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Rockland
- High school or higher: 83.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.9%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 14.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rockland city
- Never married: 24.1%
- Now married: 48.7%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 10.9%
- Divorced: 14.7%
1.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -586 (-7.2%).
Waterfront Rental - Brick Building views, deck, gourmet kitchen />
Maine Hotel & Inns - Extended Stay Inn, Beautiful Great Location Downtown. Camden Me. />
Jobs - Found the Best 4 Sites About Maine Jobs />
- Maine Rental Guide and Services Portal />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: ME Portland, (85.1 miles pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (183.6 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (405.4 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: Thomaston, ME (4.1 miles South Head, ME (4.3 miles Owls ME Thomaston, (5.1 miles ME Rockport, (5.8 miles ME Camden, (7.7 miles ME Warren, (8.7 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 6 buildings, average cost: $75,700
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $42,600
- 1998: 7 buildings, average cost: $49,400
- 1999: 15 buildings, average cost: $66,500
- 2000: 12 buildings, average cost: $74,400
- 2001: 19 buildings, average cost: $85,200
- 2002: 22 buildings, average cost: $98,700
- 2003: 33 buildings, average cost: $113,300
- 2004: 31 buildings, average cost: $104,800
- 2005: 14 buildings, average cost: $132,700
Latitude: 44.11 N, Longitude: 69.11 W
Area code: 207
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (18.9%), Retail trade (14.1%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (13.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +3,019 (+39.7%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,081 (57.6%)
Crime in Rockland by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||0 ||3 ||2 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||39.4 ||26.3 ||78.9 |
|Robberies ||2 ||5 ||4 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||26.3 ||65.7 ||52.6 ||0.0 |
|Assaults ||4 ||6 ||11 ||13 |
| per 100,000 ||52.6 ||78.9 ||144.6 ||170.9 |
|Burglaries ||71 ||73 ||53 ||43 |
| per 100,000 ||933.1 ||959.4 ||696.5 ||565.1 |
|Thefts ||411 ||484 ||469 ||464 |
| per 100,000 ||5401.5 ||6360.9 ||6163.8 ||6098.0 |
|Auto thefts ||10 ||8 ||11 ||12 |
| per 100,000 ||131.4 ||105.1 ||144.6 ||157.7 |
| ||310.3 ||381.3 ||362.1 ||361.8 |
Average climate in Rockland, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Birthplace of: Adelbert Ames - (1835-1933), Edna St. Vincent Millay.
Hospitals/medical centers near Rockland:
- PENOBSCOT BAY MEDICAL CENTER (about 6 miles; ROCKPORT, ME)
- WALDO COUNTY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; BELFAST, ME)
- MILES MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; DAMARISCOTTA, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Rockland:
- BANGOR INTL (about 52 miles; BANGOR, ME; ID: BGR)
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 59 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; ID: NHZ)
- PORTLAND INTL JETPORT (about 89 miles; PORTLAND, ME; ID: PWM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Rockland:
- KNOX COUNTY REGIONAL (about 5 miles; ROCKLAND, ME; ID: RKD)
- ISLESBORO (about 20 miles; ISLESBORO, ME; ID: 57B)
- BELFAST MUNI (about 22 miles; BELFAST, ME; ID: BST)
Local government website:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rockland:
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 48 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,172)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE (about 70 miles; ORONO, ME; FT enrollment: 8,590)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 80 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; FT enrollment: 2,229)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 87 miles; PORTLAND, ME; FT enrollment: 7,381)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 103 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; FT enrollment: 2,251)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 104 miles; STANDISH, ME; FT enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 145 miles; DURHAM, NH; FT enrollment: 12,586)
Public high schools in Rockland:
- ROCKLAND DISTRICT HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 543; Location: 400 BROADWAY; Grades: 09 - 12)
- MID-COAST SCH OF TECH-REGION 8 (Location: ONE MAIN STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Rockland:
- ROCKLAND DISTRICT MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 348; Location: 30 BROADWAY; Grades: 06 - 08)
- MACDOUGAL SCHOOL (Students: 206; Location: 338 BROADWAY; Grades: KG - 02)
- SOUTH SCHOOL (Students: 191; Location: 100 HOLMES STREET; Grades: 03 - 05)
Private primary/middle school in Rockland:
- PEN BAY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 183; Location: 1 WALDO AVENUE; Grades: PK - 9)
Library in Rockland:
- ROCKLAND PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $203,544; Location: 80 UNION STREET; 36,417 books; 882 audio materials; 824 video materials; 98 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Rockland: Journeys End Marina (A), William A Farnsworth Homestead (B), Hurricane Island Outward Bound School Dock (C), Schooner Wharf (D), North End Shipyard (E), Knight Marina (F), Rockland Community Yacht Club (G), Rockland Golf Course (H), Rockland Harbor Boatyard (I), Rockland Landings Marina (J), Rockland Public Landing (K), Shore Village Lighthouse Museum Library (L), Shore Village Museum (M), Hurricane Island Outward Bound School Headquarters (N), Knox County Courthouse (O), William A Farnsworth Library (P), William A Farnsworth Art Museum (Q), Rockland Visitor Information Center (R), Rockland Public Library (S), The Wyeth Center (T).
Shopping Centers: Rockland Plaza Shopping Center (1), Rockland Shopping Center (2).
Churches in Rockland include: First Unitarian Universalist Church (A), Living Waters Revival Church (B), Congregational Church of Rockland (C), Grace Bible Fellowship Building (D), First Baptist Church (E), Grace Pentecostal Church (F), Saint Peters Episcopal Church (G), Saint Bernards Church (H).
Cemeteries: Achorn Cemetery (1), Farnsworth Cemetery (2), Tolman Cemetery (3).
Reservoirs and swamps: Chickawaukie Pond (A), Bog, The (B).
Parks in Rockland include: Main Street Historic District (1), J C Park (2), Wasgett Field (3), Harbor Park (4), Rockland Recreation Building and Playground (5), Rockland Residential Historic District (6).
Post office: (A).
Rockland compared to Maine state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Rockland:
- WRKD (1450 AM; 1 kW; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Rockland:
- WMCM (103.3 FM; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRFR-LP (93.3 FM; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: PENOBSCOT SCHOOL)
- WBQX (106.9 FM; THOMASTON, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNER)
- WMEP (90.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQSS (102.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFZX (101.7 FM; SEARSPORT, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBFB (104.7 FM; BELFAST, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBYA (105.5 FM; ISLESBORO, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING LIMTED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Rockland:
- W64BY (Channel 64; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: CRAIG MINISTRIES, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.