Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 8,824. Estimated population in July 2005: 8,833 (+0.1% change)
Males: 4,214 (47.8%), Females: 4,610 (52.2%)
Median resident age: 39.0 years
Median household income: $28,390 (year 2000)
Median house value: $73,200 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Skowhegan:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.0%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
Ancestries: English (20.3%), French (17.9%), Irish (14.5%), United States (11.6%), French Canadian (9.4%), Scottish (4.1%).
New! Maine forum
Elevation: 175 feet
Land area: 13.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Skowhegan
- High school or higher: 78.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.1%
- Unemployed: 6.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Skowhegan town
- Never married: 23.8%
- Now married: 52.5%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 13.6%
2.2% Foreign born (1.1% North America, 0.6% Europe, 0.3% Asia).
your NJ Home? - the Greater Princeton Area. 4.5% More Service Lower commissions />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: ME Portland, (85.4 miles pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (193.9 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (403.1 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: ME Skowhegan, (0.0 miles ME (5.4 miles Cornville, ME (6.4 miles Norridgewock, ME (10.5 miles Canaan, ME (10.9 miles Athens, ME Madison, (11.3 miles .
Latitude: 44.77 N, Longitude: 69.72 W
Area code: 207
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (25.3%), Educational,health and social services (24.3%), Retail trade (13.1%).
Crime in Skowhegan by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||0 ||2 ||8 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||22.7 ||90.7 ||68.0 |
|Robberies ||2 ||1 ||3 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||22.7 ||11.3 ||34.0 ||11.3 |
|Assaults ||13 ||3 ||2 ||3 |
| per 100,000 ||147.3 ||34.0 ||22.7 ||34.0 |
|Burglaries ||115 ||56 ||82 ||93 |
| per 100,000 ||1303.3 ||634.6 ||929.3 ||1053.9 |
|Thefts ||379 ||288 ||350 ||385 |
| per 100,000 ||4295.1 ||3263.8 ||3966.5 ||4363.1 |
|Auto thefts ||24 ||5 ||10 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||272.0 ||56.7 ||113.3 ||45.3 |
| ||321.1 ||198.8 ||283.8 ||289.3 |
Average climate in Skowhegan, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hospital/medical center in Skowhegan:
- REDINGTON FAIRVIEW GENERAL HOSPITAL (FAIRVIEW AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Skowhegan:
- INLAND HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; WATERVILLE, ME)
- MAINEGENERAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 17 miles; WATERVILLE, ME)
- SEBASTICOOK VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; PITTSFIELD, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Skowhegan:
- BANGOR INTL (about 63 miles; BANGOR, ME; ID: BGR)
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 63 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; ID: NHZ)
- PORTLAND INTL JETPORT (about 88 miles; PORTLAND, ME; ID: PWM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Skowhegan:
- CENTRAL MAINE ARPT OF NORRIDGEWOCK (about 11 miles; NORRIDGEWOCK, ME; ID: OWK)
- WATERVILLE ROBERT LAFLEUR (about 18 miles; WATERVILLE, ME; ID: WVL)
- PITTSFIELD MUNI (about 25 miles; PITTSFIELD, ME; ID: 2B7)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Skowhegan:
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 30 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,229)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 30 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; FT enrollment: 3,172)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE (about 77 miles; ORONO, ME; FT enrollment: 8,590)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 85 miles; PORTLAND, ME; FT enrollment: 7,381)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 91 miles; STANDISH, ME; FT enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 103 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; FT enrollment: 2,251)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 142 miles; DURHAM, NH; FT enrollment: 12,586)
Public high schools in Skowhegan:
- SKOWHEGAN AREA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 969; Location: 61 ACADEMY CIRCLE; Grades: 09 - 12)
- SKOWHEGAN REGIONAL TECH CTR (Location: 61 ACADEMY CIRCLE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Skowhegan:
- FAITH BAPTIST CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 46; Location: 49 FAIRVIEW AVE; Grades: 1 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Skowhegan:
- SKOWHEGAN AREA MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 468; Location: 155 ACADEMY CIRCLE; Grades: 07 - 08)
- BLOOMFIELD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 351; Location: 140 ACADEMY CIRCLE; Grades: KG - 04)
- MARGARET CHASE SMITH SCHOOL (Students: 260; Location: 40 HESELTON STREET; Grades: 05 - 06)
- NORTH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 210; Location: 33 JEWETT STREET; Grades: KG - 01)
Private primary/middle school in Skowhegan:
- SKOWHEGAN MONTESSORI SCHOOL (Students: 18; Location: PO BOX 56; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Skowhegan:
- SKOWHEGAN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $87,368; Location: 5 ELM STREET; 37,028 books; 40 audio materials; 60 video materials; 45 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Skowhegan: Skowhegan State Fair Grounds (A), Skowhegan Waste Treatment Plant (B), History House (C), Skowhegan Community Center (D), Skowhegan Fire Station (E), Skowhegan Free Public Library (F), Skowhegan Municipal Building (G), Somerset County Courthouse (H), Margaret Chase Smith Library (I).
Shopping Centers: Sampsons Shopping Center (1), Skowhegan Village Shopping Center (2), Village Plaza Mall Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Skowhegan include: All Saints Episcopal Church (A), Riverfront Church of God (B), Orthodox Presbyterian Church (C), Federated Church (D), Notre Dam De Lourdes Catholic Church (E), Trinity Evangelical Free Church (F).
Cemeteries: South Cemetery (1), North Cemetery (2), Blunt Cemetery (3).
Reservoirs: Kennebec River Reservoir (A), Cold Brook (B).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Cold Brook (A), Whitten Brook (B), Currier Brook (C), Wesserunsett Stream (D).
Parks in Skowhegan include: Coburn Park (1), Memorial Field (2).
Post office: (A).
Skowhegan compared to Maine state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Skowhegan:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTVL (1490 AM; 1 kW; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Skowhegan:
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WCTB (93.5 FM; FAIRFIELD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWWA (95.3 FM; WINSLOW, ME; Owner: LIGHT OF LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEBB (98.5 FM; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WIGY (97.5 FM; MADISON, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WMEW (91.3 FM; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMME-FM (92.3 FM; AUGUSTA, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMHB (89.7 FM; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: THE MAYFLOWER HILL BROADCASTING. CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around Skowhegan:
- WFYW-LP (Channel 69; FAIRFIELD/WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- DW23AB (Channel 23; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: RUSSELL COMMUNICATIONS)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.