Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 11,430
Males: 5,541 (48.5%), Females: 5,889 (51.5%)
Median resident age: 33.8 years
Median household income: $71,447 (year 2000)
Median house value: $182,600 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Damascus:
- White Non-Hispanic (87.1%)
- Black (4.6%)
- Hispanic (4.3%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
- Other race (1.3%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Asian Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (28.6%), Irish (18.5%), English (14.0%), United States (8.5%), Italian (7.3%), Polish (4.5%).Maryland
Elevation: 828 feet
Land area: 9.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Damascus
- High school or higher: 92.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 43.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.2%
- Unemployed: 1.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 35.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Damascus CDP
- Never married: 24.5%
- Now married: 60.8%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 3.6%
- Divorced: 8.4%
5.2% Foreign born (2.1% Latin America, 1.7% Asia, 1.2% Europe).
Crossing Apartments - Staff Riverdale, Maryland />
Real Estate - D. Infeld Montg. Cnty Expert Luxury Properties Brokerage />
Park Maryland - Discounts On Brand Name Hotels Reserve Online or Call 866-90-Rooms />
Keyword Search - targeted results instant access />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MD (7.5 miles Germantown, pop. 55,419).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: DC Washington, (28.0 miles pop. 572,059).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (150.3 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Valley, MD (5.4 miles Green MD (6.1 miles Laytonsville, Village, MD Montgomery (6.6 miles MD (6.7 miles Clarksburg, MD (7.5 miles Germantown, Airy, MD Mount (8.0 miles Market, MD (9.1 miles New Grove, MD (9.3 miles Washington
Latitude: 39.27 N, Longitude: 77.21 W
Area codes: 301, 240
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (21.2%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (16.2%), Retail trade (12.3%), Public administration (11.5%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -3,608 (-31.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 819 (13.7%)
Average climate in Damascus, Maryland
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Damascus-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Maryland state average. It is 35% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/5/1979, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 19.3 miles away from the Damascus city center killed one person and injured 6 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 7/19/1996, a category 3 tornado 22.2 miles away from the city center injured 3 people and caused $5 million in damages.
Birthplace of: Kevin Thompson - 2005 NFL player (Buffalo Bills, born: Jul 27, 1977).
Hospitals/medical centers near Damascus:
- MONTGOMERY GENERAL HOSPITAL INC (about 13 miles; OLNEY, MD)
- KESSLER ADVENTIST REHABILITATION (about 13 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD)
- POTOMAC RIDGE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH C (about 13 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Damascus:
- WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL (about 29 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; ID: IAD)
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 32 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; ID: DCA)
- BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTL (about 38 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; ID: BWI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Damascus:
- DAVIS (about 6 miles; LAYTONSVILLE, MD; ID: W50)
- MONTGOMERY COUNTY AIRPARK (about 9 miles; GAITHERSBURG, MD; ID: GAI)
- FREDERICK MUNI (about 15 miles; FREDERICK, MD; ID: FDK)
Amtrak stations near Damascus:
- 14 miles: ROCKVILLE (HUNGERFORD DR. & PARK ST.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, public payphones, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 18 miles: FREDERICK (GREYHOUND STA., 27 E. ALL SAINTS ST.) - Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, intercity bus service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Damascus:
- MONTGOMERY COLLEGE (about 13 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 11,829)
- FREDERICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; FREDERICK, MD; FT enrollment: 2,407)
- HOWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 23 miles; COLUMBIA, MD; FT enrollment: 3,036)
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT enrollment: 8,859)
- WESTERN MARYLAND COLLEGE (about 26 miles; WESTMINSTER, MD; FT enrollment: 2,245)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (about 26 miles; Adelphi, MD; FT enrollment: 8,434)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (about 26 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT enrollment: 3,223)
Public high school in Damascus:
- DAMASCUS HIGH (Students: 1,884; Location: 25921 RIDGE RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Damascus:
- JOHN T. BAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 744; Location: 25400 OAK DR; Grades: 06 - 08)
- CLEARSPRING ELEMENTARY (Students: 541; Location: 9930 MOYER RD; Grades: PK - 05)
- LOIS P. ROCKWELL ELEMENTARY (Students: 447; Location: 24555 CUTSAIL DR; Grades: PK - 05)
- DAMASCUS ELEMENTARY (Students: 343; Location: 10201 BETHESDA CHURCH RD; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle school in Damascus:
- MONTGOMERY METH CHILDRENS CTR (Students: 150; Location: 28325 KEMPTOWN RD; Grades: PK - KG)
Notable location: Damascus Library (A).
Shopping Center: Damascus Shopping Center (1).
Churches in Damascus include: Saint Annes Episcopal Church (A), Saint Paul Catholic Church (B), Damascus Seventh Day Adventist Church (C), Damascus United Methodist Church (D), Damascus Wesleyan Church (E), First Baptist Church (F), Redeemer Lutheran Church (G).
Parks in Damascus include: Moyer Road Park (1), Upper Magruder Branch Park (2), Oak Ridge Conservation Park (3), John Haines Park (4), Damascus Park (5).
Post office: (A).
Damascus compared to Maryland state average:
- Median household income significantly above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- House age below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Damascus:
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WTOP (1500 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- WTEM (980 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WGOP (700 AM; daytime; 25 kW; WALKERSVILLE, MD; Owner: BIRACH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBAL (1090 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
- WTNT (570 AM; 5 kW; BETHESDA, MD; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WUST (1120 AM; daytime; 20 kW; WASHINGTON, DC)
- WPGC (1580 AM; 50 kW; MORNINGSIDE, MD; Owner: INFINITY WPGC(AM), INC.)
- WMAL (630 AM; 5 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: WMAL, INC.)
- WWLG (1370 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: M-10 BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWGB (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; INDIAN HEAD, MD; Owner: GOOD BODY MEDIA, LLC)
- WTRI (1520 AM; daytime; 17 kW; BRUNSWICK, MD; Owner: JMK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Damascus:
- WFRE (99.9 FM; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W219BX (91.7 FM; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: CEDAR RIDGE CHILDREN'S HOME & SCHOOL, INC)
- WWVZ (103.9 FM; BRADDOCK HEIGHTS, MD; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- WWDC-FM (101.1 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WARW (94.7 FM; BETHESDA, MD; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WIHT (99.5 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WASH (97.1 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WRQX (107.3 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: WMAL, INC.)
- WHUR-FM (96.3 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: THE HOWARD UNIVERSITY)
- WAYZ-FM (104.7 FM; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: HJV LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WETH (89.1 FM; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: GREATER WASHINGTON EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS ASSN.)
- WKYS (93.9 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WWMX (106.5 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJFK-FM (106.7 FM; MANASSAS, VA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORP. OF WASHINGTON, DC)
- WPOC (93.1 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WZBA (100.7 FM; WESTMINSTER, MD; Owner: SHAMROCK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WARX (106.9 FM; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: MANNING BROADCASTING INC.)
- WAFY (103.1 FM; MIDDLETOWN, MD; Owner: FREDERICK BROADCASTING LLC)
- WCSP-FM (90.1 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: NATIONAL CABLE SATELLITE CORPORATION)
- WJZW (105.9 FM; WOODBRIDGE, VA; Owner: WMAL, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Damascus:
- WFPT (Channel 62; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
- WTTG (Channel 5; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WJLA-TV (Channel 7; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: ACC LICENSEE, INC.)
- WUSA (Channel 9; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: THE DETROIT NEWS, INC.)
- WETA-TV (Channel 26; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: THE GREATER WASHINGTON ED TELECOMM. ASSOC)
- WDCA (Channel 20; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WMPB (Channel 67; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
- WHUT-TV (Channel 32; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: HOWARD UNIVERSITY)
- WBDC-TV (Channel 50; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: WBDC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBAL-TV (Channel 11; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WBAL HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC. (CA CORP.))
- WMAR-TV (Channel 2; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: SCRIPPS HOWARD BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBFF (Channel 45; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: CHESAPEAKE TELEVISION LICENSEE, LLC)
- WNUV (Channel 54; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: BALTIMORE (WNUV-TV) LICENSEE, INC.)
- WUTB (Channel 24; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WRC-TV (Channel 4; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: NBC SUBSIDIARY (WRC-TV), INC.)
- W52AS (Channel 52; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WNVC (Channel 56; FAIRFAX, VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WJZ-TV (Channel 13; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- W28BY (Channel 63; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFORMATION SUPER STATION, L.L.C.)
- WZDC-LP (Channel 64; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: ONDA CAPITAL, INC.)
- WMDO-CA (Channel 30; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.