Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 39,078
Males: 18,836 (48.2%), Females: 20,242 (51.8%)
Median resident age: 35.6 years
Median household income: $34,978 (year 2000)
Median house value: $98,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Essex:
- White Non-Hispanic (73.5%)
- Black (21.0%)
- Hispanic (2.3%)
- Two or more races (1.9%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Other race (0.8%)
Ancestries: German (24.2%), Irish (15.0%), Polish (7.8%), English (7.3%), Italian (6.4%), United States (6.0%).
New! Maryland forum
Elevation: 40 feet
Land area: 9.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Essex
- High school or higher: 72.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 6.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Essex CDP
- Never married: 28.8%
- Now married: 47.3%
- Separated: 4.6%
- Widowed: 7.8%
- Divorced: 11.6%
4.1% Foreign born (1.2% Asia, 1.1% Latin America, 0.9% Europe, 0.9% Africa).
Maryland Apartments - Maryland Apartment Guide! Virtual Tours, Floorplans, Photos />
Creek Apartments - The Heart of Historic Laurel Close to shops & restaurants />
Furnished Property - Owners of Rental Property Corporate Housing by Owner />
Real Estate - Estate Agent & Listings for Homes in the Greater Baltimore Area />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MD Dundalk, (4.7 miles pop. 62,306).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MD Baltimore, (11.4 miles pop. 651,154).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (101.7 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: River, MD (2.0 miles Middle MD (3.8 miles Rossville, MD (4.3 miles Rosedale, Quarters, MD (4.5 miles Bowleys MD Dundalk, (4.7 miles Marsh, MD (5.3 miles White MD (5.4 miles Edgemere, MD (5.9 miles Overlea,
Latitude: 39.31 N, Longitude: 76.45 W
Area codes: 443, 410
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (17.8%), Retail trade (14.2%), Manufacturing (13.2%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -11,764 (-30.1%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,915 (10.7%)
Average climate in Essex, Maryland
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Essex-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Maryland state average. It is 35% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1961, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 11.9 miles away from the Essex city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 9/24/2001, a category 3 tornado 26.5 miles away from the city center killed 2 people and injured 55 people and caused $101 million in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Essex:
- FRANKLIN SQUARE HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; BALTIMORE, MD)
- JOHNS HOPKINS BAYVIEW MEDICAL CENTER (about 8 miles; BALTIMORE, MD)
- KENNEDY KREIGER INSTITUTE (about 9 miles; BALTIMORE, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Essex:
- BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTL (about 18 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; ID: BWI)
- ANDREWS AFB (about 46 miles; CAMP SPRINGS, MD; ID: ADW)
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 52 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; ID: DCA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Essex:
- MARTIN STATE (about 4 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; ID: MTN)
- ESSEX SKYPARK (about 5 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; ID: W48)
- FALLSTON (about 14 miles; FALLSTON, MD; ID: W42)
Amtrak stations near Essex:
- 12 miles: BALTIMORE (1500 N. CHARLES ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 19 miles: BWI AIRPORT RAIL STATION (BALTIMORE, AMTRAK WAY). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
College/University in Essex:
- MARYLAND BEAUTY ACADEMY OF ESSEX (Full-time enrollment: 35; Location: 505 EASTERN BLVD; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Essex:
- JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY (about 11 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 12,330)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-BALTIMORE (about 12 miles; Baltimore, MD; FT enrollment: 4,456)
- UNIVERSITY OF BALTIMORE (about 12 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; FT enrollment: 3,230)
- TOWSON UNIVERSITY (about 13 miles; TOWSON, MD; FT enrollment: 13,971)
- LOYOLA COLLEGE (about 14 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; FT enrollment: 4,859)
- MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; FT enrollment: 5,564)
- COPPIN STATE COLLEGE (about 16 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; FT enrollment: 2,844)
Private high school in Essex:
- OUR LADY OF MT CARMEL HI (Students: 220; Location: 1706 OLD EASTERN AVENUE; Grades: 9 - 12)
Private primary/middle school in Essex:
- OUR LADY OF MT CARMEL SCHOOL (Students: 532; Location: 1702 OLD EASTERN AVENUE; Grades: PK - 8)
Notable locations in Essex: Baltimore Yacht Club (A), Essex Marina (B), Essex Health Center (C), Essex Area Branch Baltimore County Public Library (D).
Shopping Centers: Middlesex Shopping Center (1), Country Ridge Shopping Center (2).
Churches in Essex include: Saint Johns Church (A), Back River Church (B), Universal Gospel Tabernacle (C), Central Church (D), Church of Christ (E), Church of God (F), Church of the Open Bible (G), Mars Hill Church (H).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Duck Creek (A), Muddy Gut (B), Deep Creek (C), Hopkins Creek (D), Norman Creek (E), Sue Creek (F), Northeast Creek (G), Hogpen Creek (H).
Parks in Essex include: Fox Ridge Park (1), Sue Creek Park (2), Cox Point Park (3), Martindale Park (4), Deep Creek Park (5), Turkey Point Park (6).
Essex compared to Maryland state average:
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Essex:
- WWLG (1370 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: M-10 BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBGR (860 AM; 3 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WBAL (1090 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WBIS (1190 AM; 50 kW; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Owner: NATIONS RADIO, LLC)
- WGOP (700 AM; daytime; 25 kW; WALKERSVILLE, MD; Owner: BIRACH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBMD (750 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WNST (1570 AM; 5 kW; TOWSON, MD)
- WTEM (980 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WPGC (1580 AM; 50 kW; MORNINGSIDE, MD; Owner: INFINITY WPGC(AM), INC.)
- WTOP (1500 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WWGB (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; INDIAN HEAD, MD; Owner: GOOD BODY MEDIA, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Essex:
- WLIF (101.9 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY WLIF, INC.)
- WXYV (105.7 FM; CATONSVILLE, MD; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WWMX (106.5 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WSMJ (104.3 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WIYY (97.9 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
- WERQ-FM (92.3 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WPOC (93.1 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WWIN-FM (95.9 FM; GLEN BURNIE, MD; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WRBS (95.1 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: PETER & JOHN RADIO FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WYPR (88.1 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WYPR LICENSE HOLDING LLC)
- WZBA (100.7 FM; WESTMINSTER, MD; Owner: SHAMROCK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEAA (88.9 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: MORGAN STATE COLLEGE)
- WBJC (91.5 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: BALTIMORE CITY COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WTMD (89.7 FM; TOWSON, MD; Owner: TOWSON UNIVERSITY)
- WQSR (102.7 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY OF CHESAPEAKE LICENSEE CORP.)
- WARM-FM (103.3 FM; YORK, PA; Owner: WSBA LICO, INC.)
- WFSI (107.9 FM; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WSOX (96.1 FM; RED LION, PA; Owner: LANCASTER-YORK BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WXCY (103.7 FM; HAVRE DE GRACE, MD; Owner: DELMARVA BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHFC (91.1 FM; BEL AIR, MD; Owner: HARFORD COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Essex:
- WBAL-TV (Channel 11; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WBAL HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC. (CA CORP.))
- WMAR-TV (Channel 2; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: SCRIPPS HOWARD BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBFF (Channel 45; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: CHESAPEAKE TELEVISION LICENSEE, LLC)
- WNUV (Channel 54; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: BALTIMORE (WNUV-TV) LICENSEE, INC.)
- WJZ-TV (Channel 13; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WMPB (Channel 67; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
- WUTB (Channel 24; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WMPT (Channel 22; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
- W63BP (Channel 63; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Owner: ANNAPOLIS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- W61BY (Channel 61; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Owner: ANNAPOLIS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WMJF-LP (Channel 16; TOWSON, MD; Owner: TOWSON UNIVERSITY)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.