Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 7,873. Estimated population in July 2005: 7,958 (+1.1% change)
Males: 3,534 (44.9%), Females: 4,339 (55.1%)
Median resident age: 23.5 years
Median household income: $21,215 (year 2000)
Median house value: $82,500 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Frostburg:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.9%)
- Black (6.4%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- Hispanic (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (22.0%), Irish (15.1%), English (9.2%), Italian (7.7%), Scottish (4.4%), Welsh (3.7%).
New! Maryland forum
Elevation: 2075 feet
Land area: 3.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Frostburg
- High school or higher: 84.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 30.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 17.4%
- Unemployed: 24.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 17.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Frostburg city
- Never married: 41.4%
- Now married: 44.8%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 8.4%
- Divorced: 4.1%
1.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -1,204 (-13.3%).
Vacations - Powell-Lake Mead-Shasta Lake Book Online - boats, rooms, tours />
Local Weather - Streaming Weather forecasts! Absolutely Free />
Rentals in Florida - sport boats for rent in South West Florida. We deliver. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: PA Pittsburgh, (90.3 miles pop. 334,563).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (261.0 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: MD (4.7 miles Midland, MD (7.1 miles Lonaconing, Wellersburg, PA (7.4 miles) , Air, MD (7.5 miles Cresaptown-Bel Vale, MD (7.9 miles La WV (9.8 miles Carpendale, Callimont, PA (10.0 miles) , MD (10.5 miles Barton,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 8 buildings, average cost: $132,900
- 1997: 7 buildings, average cost: $93,700
- 1998: 7 buildings, average cost: $150,000
- 1999: 4 buildings, average cost: $88,800
- 2000: 4 buildings, average cost: $94,300
- 2001: 3 buildings, average cost: $97,000
- 2002: 9 buildings, average cost: $194,400
- 2003: 20 buildings, average cost: $102,200
- 2004: 9 buildings, average cost: $192,000
- 2005: 11 buildings, average cost: $162,600
Latitude: 39.65 N, Longitude: 78.93 W
Area code: 301
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (39.1%), Retail trade (14.2%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (14.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +991 (+12.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,246 (43.8%)
Crime in Frostburg by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||3 ||2 ||0 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||38.1 ||25.4 ||0.0 ||12.7 |
|Robberies ||1 ||0 ||1 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||12.7 ||0.0 ||12.7 ||25.4 |
|Assaults ||21 ||9 ||5 ||8 |
| per 100,000 ||266.7 ||114.3 ||63.5 ||101.6 |
|Burglaries ||32 ||44 ||52 ||64 |
| per 100,000 ||406.5 ||558.9 ||660.5 ||812.9 |
|Thefts ||145 ||135 ||138 ||133 |
| per 100,000 ||1841.7 ||1714.7 ||1752.8 ||1689.3 |
|Auto thefts ||10 ||7 ||9 ||9 |
| per 100,000 ||127.0 ||88.9 ||114.3 ||114.3 |
| ||184.7 ||147.8 ||142.0 ||166.6 |
Average climate in Frostburg, Maryland
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Frostburg-area historical tornado activity is below Maryland state average. It is 41% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/2/1998, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 6.9 miles away from the Frostburg city center injured 5 people and caused $6 million in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 6.0 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 15 people and caused $4 million in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Frostburg:
- MEMORIAL HOSP & MED CTR CUMBERLAND (about 11 miles; CUMBERLAND, MD)
- SACRED HEART HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; CUMBERLAND, MD)
- THOMAS B FINAN CENTER (about 11 miles; CUMBERLAND, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Frostburg:
- JOHN MURTHA JOHNSTOWN-CAMBRIA CO (about 45 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA; ID: JST)
- ARNOLD PALMER REGIONAL (about 54 miles; LATROBE, PA; ID: LBE)
- ALTOONA-BLAIR COUNTY (about 61 miles; ALTOONA, PA; ID: AOO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Frostburg:
- MEXICO FARMS (about 13 miles; CUMBERLAND, MD; ID: 1W3)
- GREATER CUMBERLAND REGIONAL (about 13 miles; CUMBERLAND, MD; ID: CBE)
- SOMERSET COUNTY (about 27 miles; SOMERSET, PA; ID: 2G9)
Amtrak station near Frostburg:
- 12 miles: CUMBERLAND (E. HARRISON ST. & QUEEN CITY DR.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, intercity bus service.
Local government website:
College/University in Frostburg:
- FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 4,672; Location: 101 Braddock Road; Public; Website: www.frostburg.edu; Offers Master's degree)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Frostburg:
- UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH-JOHNSTOWN (about 44 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,851)
- WESTMORELAND COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 61 miles; YOUNGWOOD, PA; FT enrollment: 3,223)
- SHENANDOAH UNIVERSITY (about 62 miles; WINCHESTER, VA; FT enrollment: 2,030)
- LORD FAIRFAX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 63 miles; MIDDLETOWN, VA; FT enrollment: 2,064)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 70 miles; INDIANA, PA; FT enrollment: 12,307)
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-PENN STATE ALTOONA (about 71 miles; ALTOONA, PA; FT enrollment: 3,516)
- WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY (about 72 miles; MORGANTOWN, WV; FT enrollment: 19,666)
Public high schools in Frostburg:
- BEALL HIGH (Students: 582; Location: 331 E MAIN ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
- ECKHART ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL (Students: 85; Location: 17000 NATIONAL HWY SW; Grades: 07 - 12)
Private high school in Frostburg:
- SALEM SCHOOL (Students: 19; Location: 2756 LOWER NEW GERMANY RD; Grades: 3 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Frostburg:
- BEALL ELEMENTARY (Students: 319; Location: 3 E COLLEGE AVE; Grades: PK - 05)
- FROST ELEMENTARY (Students: 261; Location: 260 SHAW ST; Grades: KG - 05)
- ROUTE 40 ELEMENTARY (Students: 158; Location: 17764 NATIONAL PIKE; Grades: PK - 05)
- TRANSITION PROGRAM AT FROSTBURG (Students: 9; Location: 101 BRADDOCK RD GUILD HALL #00; Grades: UG - UG)
Private primary/middle school in Frostburg:
- ST MICHAEL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 147; Location: 56 EAST MAIN STREET; Grades: PK - 6)
Notable locations in Frostburg: Maplehurst Country Club (A), Frostburg Industrial Park (B), Allegany Hall (C), Allen Residence Hall (D), Lane College Center (E), Annapolis Residence Hall (F), Garrett Hall (G), Compton Auditorium (H), Pullen Hall (I), Faculty Hall (J), Lowndes Hall (K), Westminster Residence Hall (L), Cumberland Residence Hall (M), Frostburg Public Library (N), Frostburg Community Center (O), Frost Residence Hall (P), Cambridge Residence Hall (Q), Hitchins Administration Building (R), Gray Residence Hall (S), Dunkle Hall (T).
Shopping Centers: Frostburg Plaza Shopping Center (1), Frostburg Shopping Village Shopping Center (2).
Churches in Frostburg include: Saint Johns Episcopal Church (A), Assembly of God Church (B), Saint Michael Catholic Church (C), Saint Pauls Evangelical Lutheran Church (D), Salem United Church of Christ (E), Welsh Memorial Baptist Church (F), Zion United Church of Christ (G), Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses (H).
Cemeteries: Percy Cemetery (1), Allegany Cemetery (2), Mount Pleasant Cemetery (3).
Parks in Frostburg include: Lions Park (1), Frostburg Recreational Complex (2), Frostburg Historic District (3), Frostburg Community Park (4), East End Playground (5), Mount Pleasant Playground (6).
Post office: (A).
Frostburg compared to Maryland state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Frostburg:
- WFRB (560 AM; 5 kW; FROSTBURG, MD; Owner: WTBO-WKGO CORPORATION, L.L.C.)
- WCBC (1270 AM; 5 kW; CUMBERLAND, MD; Owner: CUMBERLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WVSC (990 AM; 10 kW; SOMERSET, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WLYE (850 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WYSN (1330 AM; 5 kW; SOMERSET, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KDKA (1020 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNTR (1230 AM; 1 kW; CUMBERLAND, MD; Owner: TSCHUDY RADIO, INC)
- WTBO (1450 AM; 1 kW; CUMBERLAND, MD; Owner: WTBO-WKGO CORPORATION, L.L.C.)
- WZSK (1040 AM; daytime; 10 kW; EVERETT, PA; Owner: NEW MILLENNIUM COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WKCW (1420 AM; 50 kW; WARRENTON, VA; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WKLP (1390 AM; 1 kW; KEYSER, WV; Owner: STARCAST SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Frostburg:
- WFRB-FM (105.3 FM; FROSTBURG, MD; Owner: WTBO-WKGO CORPORATION, L.L.C.)
- WROG (102.9 FM; CUMBERLAND, MD; Owner: TSCHUDY RADIO, INC)
- WKGO (106.1 FM; CUMBERLAND, MD; Owner: WTBO-WKGO CORPORATION, L.L.C.)
- WLIC (97.1 FM; FROSTBURG, MD; Owner: HE'S ALIVE, INC.)
- WFWM (91.9 FM; FROSTBURG, MD; Owner: FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WWPN (101.1 FM; WESTERNPORT, MD; Owner: ERNEST F. SANTMYIRE)
- WCBC-FM (107.1 FM; KEYSER, WV; Owner: PROSPERITAS BROADCASTING SYSTEM, L P)
- WDZN (100.1 FM; ROMNEY, WV; Owner: CHARTER EQUITIES, INC.)
- WAIJ (90.3 FM; GRANTSVILLE, MD; Owner: HE'S ALIVE, INC.)
- WQZK-FM (94.1 FM; KEYSER, WV; Owner: STARCAST SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WQZS (93.3 FM; MEYERSDALE, PA; Owner: ROGER WAHL)
- WBVE (107.5 FM; BEDFORD, PA; Owner: CESSNA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WAYC (100.9 FM; BEDFORD, PA; Owner: CESSNA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WVSB (104.1 FM; ROMNEY, WV; Owner: WEST VA. SCHS. FOR DEAF AND BLIND)
- WQWV (103.7 FM; FISHER, WV; Owner: MCGUIRE BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- W242AD (96.3 FM; OAKLAND, MD; Owner: FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WTRM (91.3 FM; WINCHESTER, VA; Owner: TIMBER RIDGE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WKHJ (104.5 FM; MOUNTAIN LAKE PARK, MD; Owner: SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS, INC.)
- WCCL (101.7 FM; CENTRAL CITY, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WSKE (104.3 FM; EVERETT, PA; Owner: NEW MILLENNIUM COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Frostburg:
- W43BP (Channel 43; CRESAPTOWN, MD; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.