Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 52,613. Estimated population in July 2005: 57,698 (+9.7% change)
Males: 25,647 (48.7%), Females: 26,966 (51.3%)
Median resident age: 33.6 years
Median household income: $59,879 (year 2000)
Median house value: $171,100 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Gaithersburg:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (49.1%)
- Hispanic (19.8%)
- Black (14.6%)
- Other race (8.6%)
- Chinese (4.5%)
- Two or more races (4.4%)
- Asian Indian (3.8%)
- Korean (1.7%)
- Other Asian (1.5%)
- Vietnamese (1.2%)
- Filipino (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
Ancestries: German (10.3%), Irish (9.4%), English (6.8%), United States (4.4%), Italian (4.4%), Subsaharan African (3.0%).Maryland
Elevation: 508 feet
Land area: 10.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Gaithersburg
- High school or higher: 85.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 46.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 19.8%
- Unemployed: 4.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 31.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gaithersburg city
- Never married: 30.6%
- Now married: 53.6%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 8.0%
34.4% Foreign born (15.5% Latin America, 12.7% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +12,927 (+32.6%).
Coopers Crossing - in Landover Hills New Resident Center Coming Soon />
Maryland Apartments - Maryland Apartment Guide! Virtual Tours, Floorplans, Photos />
Maryland Hotels - Tours, Reviews, Hotel Maps Compare & Save on Hotels Today! />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: DC Washington, (21.0 miles pop. 572,059).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (155.1 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Potomac, MD (2.5 miles North Grove, MD (3.5 miles Washington Village, MD Montgomery (3.9 miles MD (4.0 miles Germantown, MD (4.3 miles Darnestown, MD (4.9 miles Redland, MD (5.3 miles Travilah, MD Rockville, (6.3 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 163 buildings, average cost: $119,000
- 1997: 148 buildings, average cost: $116,000
- 1998: 181 buildings, average cost: $111,400
- 1999: 463 buildings, average cost: $104,100
- 2000: 336 buildings, average cost: $98,000
- 2001: 375 buildings, average cost: $119,000
- 2002: 414 buildings, average cost: $118,100
- 2003: 172 buildings, average cost: $118,200
- 2004: 0 buildings
- 2005: 124 buildings, average cost: $267,200
Latitude: 39.13 N, Longitude: 77.23 W
Area codes: 301, 240
Industries providing employment: Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (20.6%), Educational,health and social services (15.4%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +10,355 (+19.7%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 6,261 (22.2%)
Average climate in Gaithersburg, Maryland
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Gaithersburg-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Maryland state average. It is 35% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/5/1979, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.6 miles away from the Gaithersburg city center killed one person and injured 6 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/1/1973, a category 3 tornado 18.5 miles away from the city center injured 37 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Hank Fraley - 2005 NFL player (Philadelphia Eagles, born: Sep 21, 1977), Charles Lee - College basketball player (Bucknell Bison), David Jackson - College basketball player (Penn State Nittany Lions), Donnell King - College basketball player (Sacred Heart Pioneers), Matt Reidy - College football player (Virginia Tech Hokies), Warren Williams - College basketball player (Dayton Flyers).
Main business address for: GENE LOGIC INC (IN VITRO & IN VIVO DIAGNOSTIC SUBSTANCES), DIGENE CORP (IN VITRO & IN VIVO DIAGNOSTIC SUBSTANCES), OPTELECOM INC (RADIO & TV BROADCASTING & COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT), MEDIMMUNE INC /DE (BIOLOGICAL PRODUCTS (NO DIAGNOSTIC SUBSTANCES)), GENVEC INC (PHARMACEUTICAL PREPARATIONS), GXS CORP (SERVICES-BUSINESS SERVICES, NEC).
Hospitals/medical centers near Gaithersburg:
- KESSLER ADVENTIST REHABILITATION (about 5 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD)
- POTOMAC RIDGE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH C (about 5 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD)
- SHADY GROVE ADVENTIST HOSP (about 5 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gaithersburg:
- WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL (about 21 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; ID: IAD)
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 24 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; ID: DCA)
- ANDREWS AFB (about 34 miles; CAMP SPRINGS, MD; ID: ADW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gaithersburg:
- MONTGOMERY COUNTY AIRPARK (about 6 miles; GAITHERSBURG, MD; ID: GAI)
- DAVIS (about 10 miles; LAYTONSVILLE, MD; ID: W50)
- FREDERICK MUNI (about 22 miles; FREDERICK, MD; ID: FDK)
Amtrak stations near Gaithersburg:
- 7 miles: ROCKVILLE (HUNGERFORD DR. & PARK ST.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, public payphones, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 20 miles: DULLES INTERNATIONAL AP'T (HERNDON, DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT) - Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, car rental agency, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Parks and Recreation ||51 ||$203,059 ||$47,778 ||157 ||$104,882 |
|Other and Unallocable ||31 ||$109,310 ||$42,313 ||0 ||$0 |
|Other Government Administration ||55 ||$247,946 ||$54,097 ||26 ||$39,086 |
|Police Protection - Officers ||36 ||$198,910 ||$66,303 ||2 ||$5,314 |
|Police - Other ||4 ||$16,970 ||$50,910 ||4 ||$4,169 |
|Streets and Highways ||11 ||$39,978 ||$43,612 ||2 ||$7,098 |
|Welfare ||5 ||$22,384 ||$53,721 ||7 ||$9,950 |
|Financial Administration ||11 ||$58,458 ||$63,772 ||7 ||$7,010 |
|Solid Waste Management ||16 ||$44,891 ||$33,668 ||0 ||$0 |
|Totals for Government ||220 ||$941,906 ||$51,376 ||205 ||$177,509 | Colleges/Universities in Gaithersburg:
- L'ACADEMIE DE CUISINE (Full-time enrollment: 65; Location: 16006 INDUSTRIAL DR; Private, for-profit; Website: www.lacademie.com)
- AESTHETICS INSTITUTE OF COSMETOLOGY (FT enrollment: 15; Location: 15958C SHADY GROVE RD; Private, for-profit; Website: email@example.com)
- LONG AND FOSTER INSTITUTE OF REAL ESTATE (Location: 200 ORCHARD RIDGE DR; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gaithersburg:
- MONTGOMERY COLLEGE (about 5 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 11,829)
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY (about 17 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT enrollment: 8,859)
- MARYMOUNT UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; ARLINGTON, VA; FT enrollment: 2,479)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (about 18 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT enrollment: 3,223)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; Adelphi, MD; FT enrollment: 8,434)
- GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT enrollment: 16,045)
- NORTHERN VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; ANNANDALE, VA; FT enrollment: 19,406)
Public high schools in Gaithersburg:
- GAITHERSBURG HIGH (Students: 2,099; Location: 314 S FREDERICK AVE; Grades: 09 - 12)
- WATKINS MILL HIGH (Students: 1,984; Location: 10301 APPLE RIDGE RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- QUINCE ORCHARD HIGH (Students: 1,874; Location: 15800 QUINCE ORCHARD RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Gaithersburg:
- COVENANT LIFE SCHOOL (Students: 230; Location: 7501 MUNCASTER MILL ROAD; Grades: KG - 12)
- OAKMONT SCHOOL (Students: 37; Location: 17051 OAKMONT AVE; Grades: 7 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Gaithersburg:
- RIDGEVIEW MIDDLE (Students: 1,036; Location: 16600 RAVEN ROCK DR; Grades: 06 - 08)
- FOREST OAK MIDDLE (Students: 991; Location: 651 SAYBROOKE OAKS BLVD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- GAITHERSBURG MIDDLE (Students: 767; Location: 2 TEACHERS WAY; Grades: 06 - 08)
- SHADY GROVE MIDDLE (Students: 732; Location: 8100 MIDCOUNTY HGWY; Grades: 06 - 08)
- RACHEL CARSON ELEMENTARY (Students: 701; Location: 100 TSCHIFFELY SQUARE RD; Grades: PK - 05)
- GOSHEN ELEMENTARY (Students: 693; Location: 8701 WARFIELD RD; Grades: KG - 05)
- STONE MILL ELEMENTARY (Students: 673; Location: 14323 STONEBRIDGE VIEW DR; Grades: PK - 05)
- JUDITH A. RESNIK ELEMENTARY (Students: 654; Location: 7301 HADLEY FARMS DRIVE; Grades: PK - 05)
- WHETSTONE ELEMENTARY (Students: 652; Location: 19201 THOMAS FARM RD; Grades: PK - 05)
- STEDWICK ELEMENTARY (Students: 637; Location: 10631 STEDWICK RD; Grades: PK - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Gaithersburg:
- ST MARTINS SCHOOL (Students: 288; Location: 115 S FREDERICK AVENUE; Grades: KG - 8)
- GAITHERSBURG PRESBY PRESCHOOL (Students: 282; Location: 610 S FREDERICK AVE; Grades: PK - KG)
- MOTHER OF GOD SCHOOL (Students: 207; Location: 20501 GOSHEN ROAD; Grades: KG - 8)
- CHURCH OF THE REDEEMER CHRISTI (Students: 182; Location: 610 E DIAMOND AVE; Grades: PK - 5)
- VILLAGE MONTESSORI SCHOOL INC (Students: 141; Location: 20301 FULKS FARM RD; Grades: PK - 2)
- NORBECK MONTESSORI CENTER (Students: 115; Location: 20436 ASPENWOOD LN; Grades: UG - UG)
- THE JEFFERSON SCHOOL (Students: 72; Location: 8507 EMORY GROVE ROAD; Grades: 1 - 5)
- ACADEMY CHILD DEVELOPMENT CTR (Students: 40; Location: 15001 DUFIEF DR; Grades: KG - KG)
- EPWORTH PRESCHOOL AND KINDERGA (Students: 11; Location: 9008 ROSEMONT DR; Grades: KG - KG)
- NIST (Students: 10; Location: BLDG 308; Grades: KG - KG)
Notable locations in Gaithersburg: Metropolitan Grove Industrial Park (A), Avenel Business Industrial Park (B), Bennington Corporate Center (C), Gaithersburg Public Works (D), Crown Pointe Corporate Center (E), Quince Orchard Corporate Park (F), Quince Tree Executive Center (G), Clopper Siding (H), Technical Park 270 (I), Metropolitan Grove Commuter Railroad Station (J), Asbury Home (K), Gaithersburg Railroad Station (L), Gaithersburg Police Station (M), Casey Community Center (N), State Highway Administration (O), State Barracks North Police Station (P).
Shopping Centers: Lakeforest Mall Shopping Center (1), Gaithersburg Square Shopping Center (2), Potomac Valley Shopping Center (3), Quince Orchard Plaza Shopping Center (4), Muddy Branch Square Shopping Center (5), Diamond Square Shopping Center (6).
Churches in Gaithersburg include: Good Shepherd Lutheran Church (A), Grace United Methodist Church (B), Saint Martins Catholic Church (C), Calvary Apostolic Church (D), Church of the Ascension (E), Epworth United Methodist Church (F), First Assembly of God Church (G), First Baptist Church (H).
Lakes and reservoirs: Nirvana, Lake (A), Elysium Lake (B), Helene, Lake (C), Lynette, Lake (D), Three Sisters Lakes (E), Lake Halcyon (F), Inspiration Lake (G), Lake Walker Pond Number Two (H).
Parks in Gaithersburg include: Browns Station Park (1), Diamond Farm Park (2).
Gaithersburg compared to Maryland state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Gaithersburg:
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WTOP (1500 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- WTNT (570 AM; 5 kW; BETHESDA, MD; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WTEM (980 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMAL (630 AM; 5 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: WMAL, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WUST (1120 AM; daytime; 20 kW; WASHINGTON, DC)
- WCTN (950 AM; 3 kW; POTOMAC-CABIN JOHN, MD; Owner: SEVEN LOCKS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WPGC (1580 AM; 50 kW; MORNINGSIDE, MD; Owner: INFINITY WPGC(AM), INC.)
- WGOP (700 AM; daytime; 25 kW; WALKERSVILLE, MD; Owner: BIRACH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBAL (1090 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
- WWGB (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; INDIAN HEAD, MD; Owner: GOOD BODY MEDIA, LLC)
- WABS (780 AM; daytime; 5 kW; ARLINGTON, VA; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF VIRGINIA, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Gaithersburg:
- WARW (94.7 FM; BETHESDA, MD; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WIHT (99.5 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WWDC-FM (101.1 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WASH (97.1 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WRQX (107.3 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: WMAL, INC.)
- WHUR-FM (96.3 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: THE HOWARD UNIVERSITY)
- WKYS (93.9 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WJFK-FM (106.7 FM; MANASSAS, VA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORP. OF WASHINGTON, DC)
- WJZW (105.9 FM; WOODBRIDGE, VA; Owner: WMAL, INC.)
- WMZQ-FM (98.7 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WGTS (91.9 FM; TAKOMA PARK, MD; Owner: COLUMBIA UNION COLLEGE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WETA (90.9 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: GREATER WASHINGTON EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS ASSN.)
- WGMS-FM (103.5 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- WAMU (88.5 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: THE EXEC. COMM. OF THE BD. OF TRUSTEES OF AMERICAN UNIV.)
- WAVA (105.1 FM; ARLINGTON, VA; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF VIRGINIA, INC.)
- WCSP-FM (90.1 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: NATIONAL CABLE SATELLITE CORPORATION)
- WFRE (99.9 FM; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMMJ (102.3 FM; BETHESDA, MD; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- W219BX (91.7 FM; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: CEDAR RIDGE CHILDREN'S HOME & SCHOOL, INC)
- WBIG-FM (100.3 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Gaithersburg:
- WETA-TV (Channel 26; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: THE GREATER WASHINGTON ED TELECOMM. ASSOC)
- WTTG (Channel 5; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WJLA-TV (Channel 7; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: ACC LICENSEE, INC.)
- WUSA (Channel 9; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: THE DETROIT NEWS, INC.)
- WDCA (Channel 20; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WHUT-TV (Channel 32; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: HOWARD UNIVERSITY)
- WBDC-TV (Channel 50; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: WBDC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRC-TV (Channel 4; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: NBC SUBSIDIARY (WRC-TV), INC.)
- WFPT (Channel 62; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
- WNVC (Channel 56; FAIRFAX, VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W28BY (Channel 63; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFORMATION SUPER STATION, L.L.C.)
- WBAL-TV (Channel 11; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WBAL HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC. (CA CORP.))
- WMAR-TV (Channel 2; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: SCRIPPS HOWARD BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMPB (Channel 67; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
- WBFF (Channel 45; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: CHESAPEAKE TELEVISION LICENSEE, LLC)
- WNUV (Channel 54; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: BALTIMORE (WNUV-TV) LICENSEE, INC.)
- WUTB (Channel 24; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WZDC-LP (Channel 64; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: ONDA CAPITAL, INC.)
- WMDO-CA (Channel 30; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WJZ-TV (Channel 13; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WPXW (Channel 66; MANASSAS, VA; Owner: PAXSON WASHINGTON LICENSE, INC.)
- W52AS (Channel 52; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WKRP-LP (Channel 42; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA, LLC)
- W42BE (Channel 42; FAIRFAX, VA; Owner: FAIRFAX LOW POWER CO.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.