Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 51,793
Males: 23,459 (45.3%), Females: 28,334 (54.7%)
Median resident age: 37.6 years
Median household income: $53,775 (year 2000)
Median house value: $157,100 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Towson:
- White Non-Hispanic (85.7%)
- Black (7.5%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Chinese (1.5%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Asian Indian (0.6%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (23.2%), Irish (20.6%), English (16.6%), Italian (7.6%), Polish (4.6%), United States (3.8%).
New! Maryland forum
Elevation: 460 feet
Land area: 14.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Towson
- High school or higher: 90.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 53.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 24.7%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Towson CDP
- Never married: 35.1%
- Now married: 45.8%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 9.4%
- Divorced: 7.9%
8.0% Foreign born (3.5% Asia, 2.2% Europe, 1.0% Latin America).
at Towson Apts - Access High Rise Numerous Amenities />
with Rent.com - Towson MD apartments Report your lease and get $100. />
Maryland Hotels - low rates, unbiased reviews, nearby restaurants, maps and more! />
Real Estate - Estate Agent & Listings for Homes in the Greater Baltimore Area />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MD Baltimore, (5.9 miles pop. 651,154).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (109.0 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: MD (2.5 miles Hampton, MD Lutherville-Timonium, (3.1 miles Chapel, MD (3.9 miles Mays MD (4.1 miles Parkville, MD (5.7 miles Cockeysville, MD (5.9 miles Carney, MD Baltimore, (5.9 miles MD (6.6 miles Overlea,
Latitude: 39.39 N, Longitude: 76.61 W
Area codes: 410, 443
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (32.7%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (13.5%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (11.4%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +30,504 (+58.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 7,603 (30.9%)
Average climate in Towson, Maryland
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Towson-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Maryland state average. It is 40% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1961, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 12.0 miles away from the Towson city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 9/24/2001, a category 3 tornado 18.9 miles away from the city center killed 2 people and injured 55 people and caused $101 million in damages.
Birthplace of: Glen Milstead, Matt Stevenson - College basketball player (Drexel Dragons).
Main business address for: AMERICASBANK CORP (SAVINGS INSTITUTION, FEDERALLY CHARTERED), BLACK & DECKER CORP (METALWORKING MACHINERY & EQUIPMENT).
Hospitals/medical centers in Towson:
- SHEPPARD ENOCH PRATT HOSPITAL, THE (6501 N CHARLES STREET PO BOX 6815)
- ST JOSEPH HOSPITAL (7601 OSLER DRIVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Towson:
- GREATER BALTIMORE MEDICAL CENTER (about 2 miles; BALTIMORE, MD)
- GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; BALTIMORE, MD)
- MT WASHINGTON PEDIATRIC HOSP (about 5 miles; BALTIMORE, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Towson:
- BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTL (about 17 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; ID: BWI)
- ANDREWS AFB (about 45 miles; CAMP SPRINGS, MD; ID: ADW)
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 48 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; ID: DCA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Towson:
- MARTIN STATE (about 16 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; ID: MTN)
- FALLSTON (about 17 miles; FALLSTON, MD; ID: W42)
- ESSEX SKYPARK (about 17 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; ID: W48)
Amtrak stations near Towson:
- 6 miles: BALTIMORE (1500 N. CHARLES ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 16 miles: BWI AIRPORT RAIL STATION (BALTIMORE, AMTRAK WAY). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges/Universities in Towson:
- TOWSON UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 13,971; Location: 8000 YORK RD; Public; Website: www.towson.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
- MEDIX SCHOOLS (FT enrollment: 487; Location: 700 YORK RD; Private, for-profit)
- TESST TECHNOLOGY INSTITUTE (FT enrollment: 109; Location: 803 GLEN EAGLES CT; Private, for-profit; Website: TESST.COM)
- GREMPLER REAL ESTATE INSTITUTE (Location: 400 E JOPPA RD; Private, for-profit; Website: www.grempler.com)
- GREATER BALTIMORE MEDICAL CENTER-RADIOLOGIC TECHN (Location: 6701 N CHARLES ST; Private, not-for-profit)
- JOHN CASABLANCAS MODELING AND CAREER CENTER (Location: 7801 YORK RD STE 360; Private, for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Towson:
- LOYOLA COLLEGE (about 4 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 4,859)
- MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; FT enrollment: 5,564)
- JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY (about 5 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; FT enrollment: 12,330)
- BALTIMORE CITY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 6 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; FT enrollment: 3,227)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-BALTIMORE (about 7 miles; Baltimore, MD; FT enrollment: 4,456)
- UNIVERSITY OF BALTIMORE (about 7 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; FT enrollment: 3,230)
- COPPIN STATE COLLEGE (about 8 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; FT enrollment: 2,844)
Public high schools in Towson:
- TOWSON HIGH LAW & PUBLIC POLICY (Students: 1,454; Location: 69 CEDAR AVE; Grades: 09 - 12)
- CARVER CENTER FOR ARTS & TECHNOLOGY (Students: 713; Location: 938 YORK RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Towson:
- NOTRE DAME PREPARATORY SCHOOL (Students: 685; Location: 815 HAMPTON LANE; Grades: 6 - 12; Girls only)
- BALTIMORE LUTHERAN MIDDLE & UP (Students: 414; Location: 1145 CONCORDIA DRIVE; Grades: 6 - 12)
- TOWSON CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 236; Location: 114 WARE AVE; Grades: 9 - 12)
- VALLEY ACADEMY THE (Students: 66; Location: 301 W CHESAPEAKA AVE; Grades: 5 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Towson:
- PLEASANT PLAINS ELEMENTARY (Students: 523; Location: 8300 PLEASANT PLAINS RD; Grades: PK - 05)
- RIDERWOOD ELEMENTARY (Students: 501; Location: 1711 LANDRAKE RD; Grades: PK - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Towson:
- IMMACULATE CONCEPTION SCHOOL (Students: 606; Location: 112 WARE AVENUE; Grades: PK - 8)
- IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY (Students: 564; Location: 8501 LOCH RAVEN BLVD; Grades: PK - 8)
- TOWSON PRESBY KNDGTN & NURSERY (Students: 147; Location: 400 W CHESAPEAKE AVE; Grades: PK - KG)
- KIDDIE ACADEMY OF TOWSON (Students: 59; Location: 8600 LASALLE ROAD SUITE 410; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Towson:
- BALTIMORE COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $28,630,662; Location: 320 YORK ROAD; 1,735,375 books; 120,007 audio materials; 61,300 video materials; 3,680 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Towson: Valley Country Club (A), Country Club of Maryland (B), Rodgers Forge Golf Course (C), Elkridge Hunt Club (D), Towson Industrial Park (E), Newell Hall (F), Newell Dining Hall (G), Albert S Cook Library (H), Kelso Home (I), Scarborough Hall (J), Prettyman Hall (K), Linthicum Hall (L), Meyerhoff Arts Center (M), Dorsey College Center (N), Kraushaar Auditorium (O), Heubeck Hall (P), Baltimore County Courthouse (Q), Baltimore County Jail (R), Hoffberger Science Hall (S), Richmond Hall (T).
Shopping Centers: Ravenwood Shopping Center (1), Dulaney Plaza Shopping Center (2), Kenilworth Mall Shopping Center (3), Loch Raven Plaza Shopping Center (4), Towson Market Place Shopping Center (5), Towson Plaza Shopping Center (6), Towson Town Shopping Center (7).
Churches in Towson include: Saint James Church (A), Ascension Evangelical Lutheran Church (B), Saint Stephens United Church of Christ (C), Towson Presbyterian Church (D), Trinity Episcopal Church (E), Haebler Memorial Church (F), Calvary Baptist Church (G), Central Presbyterian Church (H).
Cemeteries: Honeysuckle Cemetery (1), Prospect Hill Park Cemetery (2).
Lakes and reservoirs: Cochrans Pond (A), Lake Roland (B).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Slaughterhouse Branch (A), Roland Run (B), Towson Run (C), Moores Branch (D).
Parks in Towson include: Lake Roland Park (1), Minnegan Stadium (2), Beldon Athletic Field (3), Riderwood Hills Park (4), Essex Farms Park (5), Glendale Park (6), Schuerholz Baseball Complex (7), Jones Falls Park (8), Robert E Lee Park (9).
Post offices: Towson Post Office (A), Riderwood Post Office (B).
Towson compared to Maryland state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Towson:
- WWLG (1370 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: M-10 BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBAL (1090 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WNST (1570 AM; 5 kW; TOWSON, MD)
- WGOP (700 AM; daytime; 25 kW; WALKERSVILLE, MD; Owner: BIRACH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCAO (600 AM; 5 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WBIS (1190 AM; 50 kW; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Owner: NATIONS RADIO, LLC)
- WBMD (750 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WTEM (980 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WWIN (1400 AM; 1 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WBGR (860 AM; 3 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJFK (1300 AM; 5 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY WLIF-AM, INC.)
- WITH (1230 AM; 1 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: CARON BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Towson:
- WTMD (89.7 FM; TOWSON, MD; Owner: TOWSON UNIVERSITY)
- WWMX (106.5 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WLIF (101.9 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY WLIF, INC.)
- WIYY (97.9 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
- WERQ-FM (92.3 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WYPR (88.1 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WYPR LICENSE HOLDING LLC)
- WXYV (105.7 FM; CATONSVILLE, MD; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WEAA (88.9 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: MORGAN STATE COLLEGE)
- WZBA (100.7 FM; WESTMINSTER, MD; Owner: SHAMROCK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPOC (93.1 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WBJC (91.5 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: BALTIMORE CITY COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WQSR (102.7 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFINITY OF CHESAPEAKE LICENSEE CORP.)
- WRBS (95.1 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: PETER & JOHN RADIO FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WSMJ (104.3 FM; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WWIN-FM (95.9 FM; GLEN BURNIE, MD; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WARM-FM (103.3 FM; YORK, PA; Owner: WSBA LICO, INC.)
- WROZ (101.3 FM; LANCASTER, PA; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WSOX (96.1 FM; RED LION, PA; Owner: LANCASTER-YORK BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WYCR (98.5 FM; YORK-HANOVER, PA; Owner: RADIO HANOVER, INC.)
- WGTY (107.7 FM; GETTYSBURG, PA; Owner: TIMES AND NEWS PUBLISHING COMPANY)
TV broadcast stations around Towson:
- WMJF-LP (Channel 16; TOWSON, MD; Owner: TOWSON UNIVERSITY)
- WBFF (Channel 45; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: CHESAPEAKE TELEVISION LICENSEE, LLC)
- WBAL-TV (Channel 11; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WBAL HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC. (CA CORP.))
- WMAR-TV (Channel 2; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: SCRIPPS HOWARD BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNUV (Channel 54; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: BALTIMORE (WNUV-TV) LICENSEE, INC.)
- WJZ-TV (Channel 13; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WMPB (Channel 67; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
- WUTB (Channel 24; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WMPT (Channel 22; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.