Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 8,809. Estimated population in July 2005: 8,455 (-4.0% change)
Males: 4,154 (47.2%), Females: 4,655 (52.8%)
Median resident age: 41.3 years
Median household income: $32,161 (year 2000)
Median house value: $94,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Adams:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.5%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: Polish (27.1%), French (22.9%), Irish (14.4%), Italian (13.0%), French Canadian (9.9%), German (8.2%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 799 feet
Land area: 2.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Adams
- High school or higher: 77.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.7%
- Unemployed: 7.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Adams town
- Never married: 24.5%
- Now married: 51.9%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 10.2%
- Divorced: 10.7%
1.2% Foreign born
Study Opportunities - with us and get UK institutes to contact you direct. />
Massachusetts - Pittsfield Massachusetts? Compare hotel prices, reviews, maps />
- accommodation & info on all what to see and where to stay. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NY Albany, (45.6 miles pop. 95,658).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Bay, NY (124.9 miles Oyster pop. 293,925).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (143.8 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (0.0 miles Adams, Adams, MA (4.7 miles North MA (5.4 miles Cheshire, MA (7.3 miles Savoy, MA (7.9 miles Florida, MA (8.0 miles Williamstown, Ashford, MA (8.5 miles New
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 7 buildings, average cost: $96,300
- 1997: 7 buildings, average cost: $89,000
- 1998: 12 buildings, average cost: $353,700
- 1999: 12 buildings, average cost: $112,200
- 2000: 6 buildings, average cost: $120,100
- 2001: 6 buildings, average cost: $120,100
- 2002: 7 buildings, average cost: $120,100
- 2003: 8 buildings, average cost: $156,700
- 2004: 9 buildings, average cost: $152,000
- 2005: 10 buildings, average cost: $242,100
Latitude: 42.63 N, Longitude: 73.12 W
Area code: 413
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (24.9%), Manufacturing (17.3%), Retail trade (14.3%).
Crime in Adams by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||6 ||6 ||5 ||9 |
| per 100,000 ||68.1 ||68.1 ||56.8 ||102.2 |
|Robberies ||0 ||0 ||2 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||22.7 ||11.4 |
|Assaults ||N/A ||N/A ||25 ||29 |
| per 100,000 ||N/A ||N/A ||283.8 ||329.2 |
|Burglaries ||90 ||79 ||71 ||80 |
| per 100,000 ||1021.7 ||896.8 ||806.0 ||908.2 |
|Thefts ||109 ||120 ||109 ||118 |
| per 100,000 ||1237.4 ||1362.2 ||1237.4 ||1339.5 |
|Auto thefts ||28 ||24 ||16 ||9 |
| per 100,000 ||317.9 ||272.4 ||181.6 ||102.2 |
| ||N/A ||N/A ||206.7 ||235.4 |
Average climate in Adams, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Adams-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Massachusetts state average. It is 11% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/28/1973, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 25.1 miles away from the Adams city center killed 4 people and injured 36 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/29/1995, a category 4 tornado 31.7 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 24 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Susan B. Anthony - (1820-1906), feminist.
Hospitals/medical centers near Adams:
- NORTH ADAMS REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; NORTH ADAMS, MA)
- BERKSHIRE MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 16 miles; PITTSFIELD, MA)
- SOUTHWESTERN VERMONT MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; BENNINGTON, VT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Adams:
- BARNES MUNI (about 44 miles; WESTFIELD/SPRINGFIELD, MA; ID: BAF)
- ALBANY INTL (about 48 miles; ALBANY, NY; ID: ALB)
- WESTOVER ARB/METROPOLITAN (about 51 miles; SPRINGFIELD/CHICOPEE, MA; ID: CEF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Adams:
- HARRIMAN-AND-WEST (about 6 miles; NORTH ADAMS, MA; ID: AQW)
- PITTSFIELD MUNI (about 19 miles; PITTSFIELD, MA; ID: PSF)
- WILLIAM H. MORSE STATE (about 20 miles; BENNINGTON, VT; ID: DDH)
Amtrak station near Adams:
- 16 miles: PITTSFIELD (DEPOT ST. BTW NORTH & CENTER STS.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Adams:
- WILLIAMS COLLEGE (about 9 miles; WILLIAMSTOWN, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,047)
- WESTFIELD STATE COLLEGE (about 37 miles; WESTFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,058)
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-AMHERST (about 38 miles; AMHERST, MA; FT enrollment: 21,468)
- RENSSELAER POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE (about 39 miles; TROY, NY; FT enrollment: 7,150)
- HUDSON VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 39 miles; TROY, NY; FT enrollment: 6,337)
- SMITH COLLEGE (about 40 miles; NORTHAMPTON, MA; FT enrollment: 3,053)
- HOLYOKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 45 miles; HOLYOKE, MA; FT enrollment: 3,747)
Public primary/middle schools in Adams:
- PLUNKETT ELEMENTARY (Students: 607; Location: 14 COMMERCIAL STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- ADAMS MIDDLE (Students: 433; Location: 30 COLUMBIA STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
Private primary/middle school in Adams:
- ST STANISLAUS KOSTKA SCHOOL (Students: 187; Location: 108 SUMMER STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
Library in Adams:
- ADAMS FREE LIBRARY (Operating income: $239,372; Location: 92 PARK ST.; 40,551 books; 275 audio materials; 629 video materials; 86 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Adams: Susan B Anthony Homestead (A), Forest Park Country Club (B), Adams Community Center (C), Adams Townhall (D).
Churches in Adams include: Saint Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church (A), Saint Stanislaus Kostka Roman Catholic Church (B), Saint Marks Episcopal Church (C), First Baptist Church (D), Quaker Meetinghouse (E), Old Quaker Meeting House (F), Notre Dame Church of Adams (G).
Cemetery: Maple Street Cemetery (1).
Reservoir: Renfrew Pond (A).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Reed Brook (A), Hoxie Brook (B), Miller Brook (C), Tophet Brook (D), Pecks Brook (E), Southwick Brook (F).
Parks in Adams include: Summer Street Historic District (1), Rusek Whipple Square (2), Soldiers Memorial Field (3), Renfrew Athletic Field (4).
Post office: (A).
Adams compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Adams:
- WNAW (1230 AM; 1 kW; NORTH ADAMS, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WUHN (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WEINER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WHYN (560 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBRK (1340 AM; 1 kW; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WBRK, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Adams:
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WMNB (100.1 FM; NORTH ADAMS, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WBEC-FM (105.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WUPE (95.9 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WEINER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHVP (91.1 FM; HUDSON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WAMQ (105.1 FM; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA; Owner: WAMC)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WRNX (100.9 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WJJW (91.1 FM; NORTH ADAMS, MA; Owner: MASS., COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS)
- WBRK-FM (101.7 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WBRK, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Adams:
- WCDC-TV (Channel 19; ADAMS, MA; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF ALBANY, INC.)
- W38DL (Channel 38; ADAMS, ETC., MA; Owner: WNYT-TV, LLC)
- W35BK (Channel 35; PLAINFIELD, MA; Owner: LYDIA SYLVANE STOCKWELL)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.