Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 31,247. Estimated population in July 2005: 33,042 (+5.7% change)
Males: 15,050 (48.2%), Females: 16,197 (51.8%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 39.5 years
Median household income: $87,683 (year 2000)
Median house value: $344,900 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Andover:
- White Non-Hispanic (90.7%)
- Chinese (2.5%)
- Hispanic (1.8%)
- Asian Indian (1.6%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Korean (0.9%)
- Other race (0.8%)
- Black (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (22.7%), Italian (15.3%), English (15.1%), German (8.7%), French (5.8%), Polish (4.7%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 180 feet
Land area: 3.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Andover
- High school or higher: 95.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 62.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 29.9%
- Unemployed: 2.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Andover town
- Never married: 21.7%
- Now married: 64.5%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 6.2%
10.1% Foreign born (5.1% Asia, 3.2% Europe).
City Apartments - for a luxury Apartment? Fully serviced and stylish! />
Apartments - through thousands of no fee apartments in the Boston area. />
Hotels - Andover? Find Deals & Read Hotel Reviews! />
Ma Hotel - rates, book online and save at Andover Ma Hotel. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA Lawrence, (3.6 miles pop. 72,043).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (23.5 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (233.8 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (0.0 miles Andover, Andover, MA (2.9 miles North MA Lawrence, (3.6 miles MA Methuen, (5.7 miles Reading, MA (7.0 miles North MA (7.1 miles Wilmington, MA Tewksbury, (7.3 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 94 buildings, average cost: $202,600
- 1997: 71 buildings, average cost: $209,000
- 1998: 62 buildings, average cost: $212,300
- 1999: 49 buildings, average cost: $248,100
- 2000: 55 buildings, average cost: $283,400
- 2001: 39 buildings, average cost: $262,200
- 2002: 44 buildings, average cost: $394,500
- 2003: 35 buildings, average cost: $318,300
- 2004: 67 buildings, average cost: $387,600
- 2005: 60 buildings, average cost: $361,900
Latitude: 42.66 N, Longitude: 71.14 W
Area codes: 978, 508
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (21.9%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (18.8%), Manufacturing (16.6%).
Crime in Andover by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||1 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||3.2 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||4 ||1 ||1 ||3 ||2 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||12.8 ||3.2 ||3.2 ||9.6 ||6.4 ||6.4 |
|Robberies ||2 ||4 ||6 ||0 ||1 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||6.4 ||12.8 ||19.2 ||0.0 ||3.2 ||3.2 |
|Assaults ||10 ||12 ||13 ||8 ||6 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||32.0 ||38.4 ||41.6 ||25.6 ||19.2 ||19.2 |
|Burglaries ||94 ||61 ||50 ||83 ||60 ||47 |
| per 100,000 ||300.8 ||195.2 ||160.0 ||265.6 ||192.0 ||150.4 |
|Thefts ||372 ||345 ||317 ||328 ||348 ||309 |
| per 100,000 ||1190.5 ||1104.1 ||1014.5 ||1049.7 ||1113.7 ||988.9 |
|Auto thefts ||41 ||34 ||20 ||34 ||35 ||17 |
| per 100,000 ||131.2 ||108.8 ||64.0 ||108.8 ||112.0 ||54.4 |
| ||92.6 ||79.3 ||72.3 ||81.4 ||74.3 ||61.8 |
Average climate in Andover, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Andover-area historical tornado activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 31% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 4.9 miles away from the Andover city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 35.9 miles away from the city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Chris Vetrano - College basketball player (New Hampshire Wildcats).
Main business address for: DYNAMICS RESEARCH CORP (SERVICES-COMPUTER INTEGRATED SYSTEMS DESIGN), ENTERASYS NETWORKS INC /DE/ (COMPUTER COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT), NAVISITE INC (SERVICES-BUSINESS SERVICES, NEC), MED DIVERSIFIED INC (SERVICES-HOME HEALTH CARE SERVICES), VICOR CORP (ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS, NEC).
Hospitals/medical centers near Andover:
- HOLY FAMILY HOSPITAL & MEDICAL CENTER (about 6 miles; METHUEN, MA)
- TEWKSBURY HOSP (about 7 miles; TEWKSBURY, MA)
- MERRIMACK VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; HAVERHILL, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Andover:
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 17 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 24 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- MANCHESTER (about 28 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Andover:
- LAWRENCE MUNI (about 5 miles; LAWRENCE, MA; ID: LWM)
- MERRIMACK VALLEY (about 6 miles; METHUEN, MA; ID: MA2)
- BEVERLY MUNI (about 18 miles; BEVERLY, MA; ID: BVY)
Amtrak stations near Andover:
- 9 miles: HAVERHILL (WASHINGTON ST. @ RAILROAD SQUARE). Services: ticket office.
- 10 miles: WOBURN (100 ATLANTIC AVE.). Services: ticket office.
Colleges/Universities in Andover:
- MASSACHUSETTS SCHOOL OF LAW (Full-time enrollment: 321; Location: 500 FEDERAL ST WOODLAND PARK; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.mslaw.edu)
- GREATER LAWRENCE REGIONAL VOCATIONAL TECH HIGH SCH (Location: 57 RIVER RD; Public)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Andover:
- MERRIMACK COLLEGE (about 3 miles; NORTH ANDOVER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,384)
- NORTHERN ESSEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 11 miles; HAVERHILL, MA; FT enrollment: 3,388)
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-LOWELL (about 14 miles; LOWELL, MA; FT enrollment: 8,373)
- MIDDLESEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; BEDFORD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,501)
- NORTH SHORE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; DANVERS, MA; FT enrollment: 3,663)
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY (about 17 miles; MEDFORD, MA; FT enrollment: 8,627)
- BENTLEY COLLEGE (about 20 miles; WALTHAM, MA; FT enrollment: 4,651)
Public high schools in Andover:
- ANDOVER HIGH (Students: 1,712; Location: SHAWSHEEN ROAD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- GR LAWRENCE REG VOC TECH (Students: 1,473; Location: 57 RIVER RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Andover:
- PHILLIPS ACADEMY (Students: 1,077; Location: MAIN STREET; Grades: 9 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Andover:
- WEST ELEMENTARY (Students: 596; Location: BEACON STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- HIGH PLAIN ELEMENTARY (Students: 565; Location: 333 HIGH PLAIN ROAD; Grades: KG - 05)
- DOHERTY MIDDLE (Students: 555; Location: 50 BARTLETT STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- SOUTH ELEMENTARY (Students: 553; Location: WOBURN STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- ANDOVER WEST MIDDLE (Students: 496; Location: SHAWSHEEN ROAD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- BANCROFT ELEMENTARY (Students: 417; Location: BANCROFT STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- WOOD HILL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 406; Location: 11 CROSS STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- HENRY C SANBORN ELEM (Students: 373; Location: LOVEJOY ROAD; Grades: KG - 05)
- SHAWSHEEN SCHOOL (Students: 266; Location: ANN'S LANE; Grades: PK - 02)
Private primary/middle schools in Andover:
- ST AUGUSTINE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 501; Location: 26 CENTRAL STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- THE PIKE SCHOOL (Students: 424; Location: SUNSET ROCK ROAD; Grades: PK - 9)
- ANDOVER SCHOOL OF MONTESSORI (Students: 203; Location: 400 S MAIN ST; Grades: PK - 4)
- KATHY HERWARD CHILD CARE CTR (Students: 66; Location: 310 LOWELL STREET STOP 237; Grades: PK - KG)
- CUDDLE CARE (Students: 46; Location: 511 SOUTH MAIN STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Andover:
- MEMORIAL HALL LIBRARY (Operating income: $2,386,040; Location: ELM SQUARE; 195,207 books; 14,063 audio materials; 5,891 video materials; 526 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Andover: Shawsheen Plaza (A), Andover Historical Society Building (B), Andover Town Hall (C), Caroline M Underhill Research Library (D).
Churches in Andover include: Christ Church (A), First Church of Christ Scientist (B), Free Christian Church (C), Andover Baptist Church (D).
Cemeteries: Saint Augustines Cemetery (1), Spring Grove Cemetery (2).
Lakes and reservoirs: Rabbit Pond (A), Shawsheen River Reservoir (B).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Rogers Brook (A), Hussey Brook (B).
Post office: (A).
Andover compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Andover:
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WNNW (800 AM; 1 kW; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: COSTA-EAGLE RADIO VENTURES, LP)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCEC (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; SALEM, NH; Owner: COSTA-EAGLE RADIO VENTURES LTD PARTNERSHIP)
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WDER (1320 AM; 10 kW; DERRY, NH; Owner: BLOUNT COMMUNICATIONS, INC. OF NH)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WCAP (980 AM; 5 kW; LOWELL, MA; Owner: NORTHEAST RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Andover:
- WKLB-FM (99.5 FM; LOWELL, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- W227AM (93.3 FM; ANDOVER, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WXRV (92.5 FM; HAVERHILL, MA; Owner: BEANPOT BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WPAA (91.7 FM; ANDOVER, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF PHILLIPS ACADEMY)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WQSX (93.7 FM; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Andover:
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WHDN-LP (Channel 26; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GUENTER MARKSTEINER)
- WNDS (Channel 50; DERRY, NH; Owner: CTV OF DERRY, INC)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.