Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 42,389. Estimated population in July 2005: 41,224 (-2.7% change)
Males: 19,679 (46.4%), Females: 22,710 (53.6%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 39.5 years
Median household income: $64,344 (year 2000)
Median house value: $283,800 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Arlington:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.8%)
- Chinese (2.0%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Black (1.7%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- Asian Indian (1.1%)
- Other race (0.7%)
- Japanese (0.6%)
- Korean (0.5%)
Ancestries: Irish (29.3%), Italian (15.6%), English (12.0%), German (8.3%), French (3.9%), United States (3.8%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 46 feet
Land area: 5.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Arlington
- High school or higher: 91.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 52.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 28.2%
- Unemployed: 2.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Arlington town
- Never married: 33.0%
- Now married: 51.2%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 7.3%
14.0% Foreign born (6.7% Europe, 4.3% Asia).
Baseball 2006 - or join your very own online universe. It's in your hands! />
Fantasy Baseball - Mogul franchise simulator Single-player or online! />
Baseball - are the top 8 sites on Fantasy Baseball />
Simulation Game - are the owner and GM in this year round online sim game. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA (4.0 miles Medford, pop. 55,765).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (8.5 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (223.2 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA Arlington, (0.0 miles MA (1.9 miles Belmont, MA (2.8 miles Winchester, MA (3.4 miles Watertown, MA (4.0 miles Medford, MA Lexington, (4.6 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 11 buildings, average cost: $105,900
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $109,100
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $107,800
- 1999: 11 buildings, average cost: $105,900
- 2000: 8 buildings, average cost: $105,900
- 2001: 8 buildings, average cost: $140,600
- 2002: 20 buildings, average cost: $169,000
- 2003: 12 buildings, average cost: $165,500
- 2004: 13 buildings, average cost: $168,100
- 2005: 12 buildings, average cost: $167,400
Latitude: 42.42 N, Longitude: 71.17 W
Area codes: 781, 339
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (28.8%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (18.6%).
Crime in Arlington by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||0 ||5 ||6 ||4 ||5 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||11.8 ||14.2 ||9.4 ||11.8 |
|Robberies ||10 ||5 ||18 ||9 ||17 |
| per 100,000 ||23.6 ||11.8 ||42.5 ||21.2 ||40.1 |
|Assaults ||25 ||12 ||44 ||30 ||30 |
| per 100,000 ||59.0 ||28.3 ||103.8 ||70.8 ||70.8 |
|Burglaries ||80 ||72 ||127 ||90 ||153 |
| per 100,000 ||188.7 ||169.9 ||299.6 ||212.3 ||360.9 |
|Thefts ||276 ||276 ||244 ||282 ||316 |
| per 100,000 ||651.1 ||651.1 ||575.6 ||665.3 ||745.5 |
|Auto thefts ||38 ||32 ||37 ||31 ||20 |
| per 100,000 ||89.6 ||75.5 ||87.3 ||73.1 ||47.2 |
| ||65.3 ||57.9 ||90.1 ||71.6 ||89.8 |
Average climate in Arlington, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Arlington-area historical tornado activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 32% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 25.7 miles away from the Arlington city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 13.3 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Robert Creeley - (born 1926), Geoffrey Sisk - PGA Tour Golf player (born: 3/11/65).
Hospitals/medical centers near Arlington:
- MCLEAN HOSPITAL CORPORATION (about 2 miles; BELMONT, MA)
- WINCHESTER HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; WINCHESTER, MA)
- CAMBRIDGE HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Arlington:
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 9 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 13 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- MANCHESTER (about 40 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Arlington:
- NORWOOD MEMORIAL (about 17 miles; NORWOOD, MA; ID: OWD)
- MERRIMACK VALLEY (about 20 miles; METHUEN, MA; ID: MA2)
- LAWRENCE MUNI (about 21 miles; LAWRENCE, MA; ID: LWM)
Amtrak stations near Arlington:
- 7 miles: WOBURN (100 ATLANTIC AVE.). Services: ticket office.
- 8 miles: BACK BAY (BOSTON, 145 DARTMOUTH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 9 miles: BOSTON, NORTH STATION (BOSTON, 126 CAUSEWAY ST.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Arlington:
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Full-time enrollment: 20,531)
- LESLEY UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 3,700)
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; MEDFORD, MA; FT enrollment: 8,627)
- BENTLEY COLLEGE (about 5 miles; WALTHAM, MA; FT enrollment: 4,651)
- MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 6 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 9,895)
- BOSTON UNIVERSITY (about 7 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 25,110)
- BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC (about 7 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 3,122)
Public high school in Arlington:
- ARLINGTON HIGH (Students: 1,098; Location: 869 MASS AVENUE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Arlington:
- ARLINGTON CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 820; Location: 16 MEDFORD STREET; Grades: 9 - 12)
- DEARBORN ACADEMY (Students: 175; Location: 34 WINTER ST; Grades: 8 - 12)
- GERMAINE LAWRENCE GIRLS SCHOOL (Students: 74; Location: 18 CLAREMONT AVE; Grades: 5 - 12; Girls only)
Public primary/middle schools in Arlington:
- OTTOSON MIDDLE (Students: 976; Location: 63 ACTON STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- JOHN A BISHOP (Students: 399; Location: 25 COLUMBIA ROAD; Grades: KG - 05)
- CYRUS E DALLIN (Students: 375; Location: 185 FLORENCE AVENUE; Grades: KG - 05)
- BRACKETT (Students: 356; Location: 66 EASTERN AVENUE; Grades: KG - 05)
- THOMPSON (Students: 315; Location: 60 NORTH UNION STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- M NORCROSS STRATTON (Students: 297; Location: 180 MOUNTAIN AVENUE; Grades: KG - 05)
- HARDY (Students: 294; Location: 52 LAKE STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- PEIRCE (Students: 228; Location: PARK AVENUE EXT; Grades: KG - 05)
- MENOTOMY PRESCHOOL (Students: 87; Location: 869 MASSACHUSETTS AVENUE; Grades: PK - PK)
Private primary/middle schools in Arlington:
- ST AGNES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 414; Location: 39 MEDFORD STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- ECOLE BILINGUE (Students: 383; Location: 17 IRVING STREET; Grades: PK - 11)
- LESLEY ELLIS SCHOOL (Students: 153; Location: 41 FOSTER ST; Grades: PK - 3)
- MAY CENTER FOR EARLY CHILDHOOD (Students: 70; Location: 10 ACTON ST; Grades: PK - UG)
- COVENANT SCHOOL (Students: 62; Location: 9 WESTMINSTER AVENUE; Grades: KG - 8)
- ARLINGTON CHILDREN'S CTR INC (Students: 41; Location: 17 IRVING STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Arlington:
- ROBBINS LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,661,032; Location: 700 MASSACHUSETTS AVENUE; 196,369 books; 12,351 audio materials; 5,862 video materials; 333 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Arlington: Old Schwamb Mill (A), Tara Plaza (B), Edith M Fox Branch Robbins Library (C), Arlington Historical Society Building (D), Arlington Townhall (E), MacCarty Library (F), Robbins Library (G), Smith Museum Archives (H).
Churches in Arlington include: Calvary United Methodist Church (A), Church of Our Saviour (B), Saint Paul Lutheran Church (C), Saint Johns Episcopal Church (D), Saint Jeromes Parish Church (E), First Baptist Church (F), First Parish Unitarian Church (G), Greek Orthodox Church (H).
Cemeteries: Mount Pleasant Cemetery (1), Saint Pauls Cemetery (2).
Lakes and reservoirs: Lower Mystic Lake (A), Spy Pond (B), Mystic Lakes (C), Arlington Reservoir (D), Upper Mystic Lake (E).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Alewife Brook (A), Mill Brook (B).
Parks in Arlington include: Kensington Park Historic District (1), Orvis Road Historic District (2), Arlington Heights Playground (3), Arlington center Historic District (4), Turkey Hill Reservation (5), Turkey Hill Park (6), Pierce Farm Historic District (7), Warren A Pierce Playground (8), Thorndike Field (9).
Post offices: Arlington Heights Post Office (A), Arlington Post Office (B).
Arlington compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Arlington:
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBPS (1150 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF BOSTON LICENSEE, L.L.C.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WUNR (1600 AM; 20 kW; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: CHAMPION BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WNTN (1550 AM; 10 kW; NEWTON, MA; Owner: COLT COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WILD (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE OF BOSTON LICENSES, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXKS (1430 AM; 5 kW; EVERETT, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Arlington:
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WFNX (101.7 FM; LYNN, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WHRB (95.3 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: HARVARD RADIO BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WMFO (91.5 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: TUFTS UNIVERSITY)
- WMBR (88.1 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: TECHNOLOGY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZBC (90.3 FM; NEWTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Arlington:
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
- WJAR (Channel 10; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHDN-LP (Channel 26; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GUENTER MARKSTEINER)
- WNDS (Channel 50; DERRY, NH; Owner: CTV OF DERRY, INC)
- WSBE-TV (Channel 36; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: RHODE ISLAND PUBLIC TELECOM. AUTHORITY)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.