Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 11,299. Estimated population in July 2005: 11,697 (+3.5% change)
Males: 5,469 (48.4%), Females: 5,830 (51.6%)
Median resident age: 38.6 years
Median household income: $33,475 (year 2000)
Median house value: $87,100 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Athol:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.3%)
- Hispanic (2.0%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Other race (0.7%)
- Black (0.7%)
Ancestries: French (20.6%), English (16.2%), Irish (13.0%), French Canadian (12.7%), Italian (11.7%), German (5.1%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 546 feet
Land area: 8.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Athol
- High school or higher: 80.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.2%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Athol town
- Never married: 23.9%
- Now married: 54.3%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 10.4%
2.8% Foreign born (1.6% North America, 0.8% Europe, 0.3% Latin America).
- accommodation & info on all what to see and where to stay. />
Ma - Rates, Photos, and Hotel Info. Reserve Online or Call 866-90-Rooms />
Hotels - Up To 70% On Hotel Rates! Hotels For Less Everyday. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA Worcester, (36.9 miles pop. 172,648).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (80.6 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (174.6 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (0.0 miles Athol, MA Orange, (5.4 miles MA (6.6 miles Royalston, MA (7.3 miles Phillipston, MA Petersham, (7.8 miles Salem, MA (9.3 miles New MA (9.7 miles Warwick,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 14 buildings, average cost: $50,100
- 1997: 14 buildings, average cost: $86,000
- 1998: 16 buildings, average cost: $105,200
- 1999: 13 buildings, average cost: $86,000
- 2000: 13 buildings, average cost: $106,100
- 2001: 35 buildings, average cost: $127,900
- 2002: 43 buildings, average cost: $113,900
- 2003: 44 buildings, average cost: $133,100
- 2004: 40 buildings, average cost: $135,900
- 2005: 34 buildings, average cost: $124,700
Latitude: 42.59 N, Longitude: 72.23 W
Area code: 978
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (31.9%), Educational,health and social services (22.0%), Retail trade (12.0%).
Crime in Athol by Year
|Type ||2000 ||2002 ||2003 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||0 ||4 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||35.4 ||53.1 |
|Robberies ||0 ||5 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||44.3 ||17.7 |
|Assaults ||N/A ||79 ||40 |
| per 100,000 ||N/A ||699.2 ||354.0 |
|Burglaries ||103 ||98 ||66 |
| per 100,000 ||911.6 ||867.3 ||584.1 |
|Thefts ||104 ||104 ||77 |
| per 100,000 ||920.4 ||920.4 ||681.5 |
|Auto thefts ||23 ||14 ||9 |
| per 100,000 ||203.6 ||123.9 ||79.7 |
| ||N/A ||274.7 ||171.9 |
Average climate in Athol, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Athol-area historical tornado activity is above Massachusetts state average. It is 0% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 9.4 miles away from the Athol city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 6/22/1981, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 15.2 miles away from the city center injured 3 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Main business address for: STARRETT L S CO (CUTLERY, HANDTOOLS & GENERAL HARDWARE).
Hospital/medical center in Athol:
- ATHOL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (2033 MAIN STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Athol:
- HEYWOOD HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; GARDNER, MA)
- MARY LANE HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; WARE, MA)
- UNIVERSITY HEALTH SERVICES (about 24 miles; AMHERST, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Athol:
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 34 miles; WORCESTER, MA; ID: ORH)
- WESTOVER ARB/METROPOLITAN (about 36 miles; SPRINGFIELD/CHICOPEE, MA; ID: CEF)
- BARNES MUNI (about 45 miles; WESTFIELD/SPRINGFIELD, MA; ID: BAF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Athol:
- ORANGE MUNI (about 5 miles; ORANGE, MA; ID: ORE)
- GARDNER MUNI (about 17 miles; GARDNER, MA; ID: GDM)
- TANNER-HILLER (about 19 miles; BARRE/BARRE PLAINS, MA; ID: 8B5)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Athol:
- MOUNT WACHUSETT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 17 miles; GARDNER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,023)
- KEENE STATE COLLEGE (about 25 miles; KEENE, NH; FT enrollment: 4,049)
- FITCHBURG STATE COLLEGE (about 30 miles; FITCHBURG, MA; FT enrollment: 3,660)
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-AMHERST (about 32 miles; AMHERST, MA; FT enrollment: 21,468)
- SMITH COLLEGE (about 35 miles; NORTHAMPTON, MA; FT enrollment: 3,053)
- WORCESTER STATE COLLEGE (about 35 miles; WORCESTER, MA; FT enrollment: 3,846)
- MOUNT HOLYOKE COLLEGE (about 35 miles; SOUTH HADLEY, MA; FT enrollment: 2,029)
Public high school in Athol:
- ATHOL HIGH (Students: 607; Location: 2363 MAIN STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Athol:
- ATHOL-ROYALSTON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 517; Location: 1062 PLEASANT STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- RIVERBEND (Students: 301; Location: 174 RIVERBEND STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- PLEASANT ST (Students: 282; Location: 1060 PLEASANT STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- SANDERS STREET (Students: 174; Location: 314 SANDERS STREET; Grades: KG - 03)
- SILVER LAKE (Students: 132; Location: 245 SILVER LAKE; Grades: PK - 03)
- ELLEN BIGELOW (Students: 69; Location: 129 ALLEN STREET; Grades: PK - 12)
Library in Athol:
- ATHOL PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $355,118; Location: 568 MAIN ST.; 44,816 books; 1,585 audio materials; 2,284 video materials; 95 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Athol: Old Town Hall (A), Memorial Hall (B).
Churches in Athol include: Starrett Memorial Methodist Church (A), Saint Johns Episcopal Church (B), Saint Francis of Assisi Church (C), First Church Unitarian Church (D), Athol-Orange Baptist Church (E), Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses (F).
Cemeteries: Calvary Cemetery (1), Silver Lake Cemetery (2), Highland Cemetery (3), Mount Pleasant Cemetery (4).
Lakes and reservoirs: Silver Lake (A), Duck Pond (B), Millers River Reservoir (C), Sportsmans Pond (D), Summer Street Reservoir (E).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Company Brook (A), Tully River (B), Ice Company Branch (C), Mill Brook (D).
Park in Athol: Fish Park (1).
Post office: (A).
Athol compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Athol:
- WCAT (700 AM; daytime; 3 kW; ORANGE-ATHOL, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WTAG (580 AM; 5 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Athol:
- WAHL (99.9 FM; ATHOL, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFCR (88.5 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WJDF (97.3 FM; ORANGE, MA; Owner: DEANE BROTHERS BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WFEX (92.1 FM; PETERBOROUGH, NH; Owner: FNX BROADCASTING OF NEW HAMPSHIRE LLC)
- WAMH (89.3 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF AMHERST COLLEGE)
- WYRY (104.9 FM; HINSDALE, NH; Owner: TRI-VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAAF (107.3 FM; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WINQ (97.7 FM; WINCHENDON, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WOQL (98.7 FM; WINCHESTER, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, LLC)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WKNE (103.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WSRS (96.1 FM; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEVN (90.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- W246AM (97.1 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- W293AB (106.5 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WXLO (104.5 FM; FITCHBURG, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Athol:
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.