Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 57,107. Estimated population in July 2005: 55,590 (-2.7% change)
Males: 25,832 (45.2%), Females: 31,275 (54.8%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 34.5 years
Median household income: $66,711 (year 2000)
Median house value: $599,500 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Brookline:
- White Non-Hispanic (78.7%)
- Chinese (6.1%)
- Hispanic (3.5%)
- Black (2.7%)
- Japanese (2.3%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
- Asian Indian (1.6%)
- Korean (1.5%)
- Other race (1.0%)
- Other Asian (0.8%)
Ancestries: Irish (12.1%), Russian (9.3%), English (7.3%), German (7.2%), Italian (5.8%), United States (4.9%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 50 feet
Land area: 6.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Brookline
- High school or higher: 96.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 76.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 45.3%
- Unemployed: 3.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Brookline town
- Never married: 42.4%
- Now married: 44.3%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 6.8%
26.6% Foreign born (12.7% Asia, 8.9% Europe).
Bowen Real Estate - Boston's expert resource for home buyers and home sellers. />
Apartments - through thousands of no fee apartments in the Boston area. />
Melbourne Apartments - City Selection! Short or Long Term, Furnished or Unfurnished. />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (3.1 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (221.9 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA Brookline, (0.0 miles MA Boston, (3.1 miles MA (3.4 miles Cambridge, MA (4.3 miles Watertown, MA Somerville, (4.6 miles MA (5.1 miles Belmont, MA Newton, (5.3 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 13 buildings, average cost: $394,000
- 1997: 16 buildings, average cost: $250,400
- 1998: 22 buildings, average cost: $983,700
- 1999: 25 buildings, average cost: $357,300
- 2000: 9 buildings, average cost: $927,600
- 2001: 6 buildings, average cost: $725,300
- 2002: 12 buildings, average cost: $254,600
- 2003: 0 buildings
- 2004: 11 buildings, average cost: $296,800
- 2005: 18 buildings, average cost: $503,000
Latitude: 42.33 N, Longitude: 71.13 W
Area codes: 617, 857
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (34.9%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (21.7%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (11.9%).
Crime in Brookline by Year
|Type ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||1 ||1 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||1.8 ||1.8 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||9 ||12 ||9 ||4 ||12 |
| per 100,000 ||15.8 ||21.0 ||15.8 ||7.0 ||21.0 |
|Robberies ||29 ||49 ||54 ||52 ||46 |
| per 100,000 ||50.8 ||85.8 ||94.6 ||91.1 ||80.6 |
|Assaults ||54 ||90 ||116 ||117 ||N/A |
| per 100,000 ||94.6 ||157.6 ||203.1 ||204.9 ||N/A |
|Burglaries ||187 ||234 ||213 ||200 ||215 |
| per 100,000 ||327.5 ||409.8 ||373.0 ||350.2 ||376.5 |
|Thefts ||619 ||670 ||772 ||593 ||741 |
| per 100,000 ||1083.9 ||1173.2 ||1351.8 ||1038.4 ||1297.6 |
|Auto thefts ||120 ||135 ||104 ||108 ||91 |
| per 100,000 ||210.1 ||236.4 ||182.1 ||189.1 ||159.3 |
| ||123.5 ||160.2 ||171.8 ||154.0 ||N/A |
Average climate in Brookline, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Brookline-area historical tornado activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 36% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 26.6 miles away from the Brookline city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 19.8 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Conan O'Brien - (born 1963), comedian and talk show host., John F. Kennedy - (1917-1963), President, Edward Kennedy - (born 1932), politician, Adoyah Evans-Miller - College basketball player (Loyola Marymnt Lions), Jeff Adrien - College basketball player (Connecticut Huskies).
Main business address for: BROOKLINE BANCORP INC (SAVINGS INSTITUTION, FEDERALLY CHARTERED).
Hospitals/medical centers in Brookline:
- BOURNEWOOD HOSPITAL (300 SOUTH STREET)
- HUMAN RESOURCE INST OF BOSTON (227 BABCOCK STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Brookline:
- KINDRED HOSPITAL - BOSTON (about 2 miles; BOSTON, MA)
- FRANCISCAN CHILDRENS HOSP & REHAB CTR (about 2 miles; BRIGHTON, MA)
- ST ELIZABETHS MEDICAL CENTER OF BOSTON (about 2 miles; BRIGHTON, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Brookline:
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 10 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 14 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- MANCHESTER (about 47 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Brookline:
- NORWOOD MEMORIAL (about 11 miles; NORWOOD, MA; ID: OWD)
- NORFOLK (about 22 miles; NORFOLK, MA; ID: 32M)
- MANSFIELD MUNI (about 23 miles; MANSFIELD, MA; ID: 1B9)
Amtrak stations near Brookline:
- 5 miles: BACK BAY (BOSTON, 145 DARTMOUTH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 6 miles: BOSTON, NORTH STATION (BOSTON, 126 CAUSEWAY ST.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area.
- 6 miles: BOSTON (SO. STA) (BOSTON, ATLANTIC AVE. & SUMMER ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities and snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges/Universities in Brookline:
- NEWBURY COLLEGE-BROOKLINE (Full-time enrollment: 1,258; Location: 129 FISHER AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.newbury.edu)
- MASSACHUSETTS COMMUNICATIONS COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 553; Location: 10 Brookline Place West; Private, for-profit; Website: www.masscomm.edu)
- HELLENIC COLLEGE-HOLY CROSS GRK ORTH SCH OF THEOL (FT enrollment: 118; Location: 50 GODDARD AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: hchc.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- BOSTON GRADUATE SCHOOL OF PSYCHOANALYSIS INC (FT enrollment: 49; Location: 1581 BEACON ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.bgsp.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
- HEBREW COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 42; Location: 43 HAWES ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.hebrewcollege.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- ALFRED ADLER INSTITUTE OF BOSTON INC (Location: 1674 BEACON ST; Private, not-for-profit; Offers Master's degree)
- LEE INSTITUTE (Location: 310 HARVARD ST; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Brookline:
- BOSTON UNIVERSITY (about 3 miles; BOSTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 25,110)
- BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC (about 3 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 3,122)
- BOSTON COLLEGE (about 3 miles; CHESTNUT HILL, MA; FT enrollment: 13,341)
- NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY (about 3 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 19,294)
- WENTWORTH INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 3 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 2,732)
- SIMMONS COLLEGE (about 3 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 2,386)
- MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 4 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 9,895)
Private high schools in Brookline:
- MAIMONIDES SCHOOL (Students: 635; Location: 34 PHILBRICK RD; Grades: KG - 12)
- NEHA/LUBAVITCH SCH FOR GIRLS (Students: 5; Location: 9 PRESCOTT ST/PO BOX 514; Grades: 7 - 12; Girls only)
Public primary/middle schools in Brookline:
- BROOKLINE HIGH (Students: 1,925; Location: 115 GREENOUGH STREET; Grades: PK - 12)
- EDWARD DEVOTION (Students: 694; Location: 345 HARVARD STREET; Grades: KG - 08)
- PIERCE (Students: 545; Location: 50 SCHOOL STREET; Grades: KG - 08)
- WILLIAM H LINCOLN (Students: 464; Location: 19 KENNARD RD; Grades: PK - 08)
- JOHN D RUNKLE (Students: 462; Location: 50 DRUCE STREET; Grades: PK - 08)
- LAWRENCE (Students: 434; Location: 194 BOYLSTON STREET; Grades: KG - 08)
- MICHAEL DRISCOLL (Students: 407; Location: 64 WESTBOURNE TER; Grades: PK - 08)
- THE LYNCH CENTER (Students: 66; Location: 599 BROOKLINE AVENUE; Grades: PK - PK)
Private primary/middle schools in Brookline:
- THE PARK SCHOOL (Students: 508; Location: 171 GODDARD AVE; Grades: PK - 9)
- DEXTER SCHOOL (Students: 368; Location: 20 NEWTON ST; Grades: PK - 8; Boys only)
- SOUTHFIELD SCHOOL (Students: 285; Location: 10 NEWTON; Grades: PK - 8; Girls only)
- TORAH ACADEMY (Students: 212; Location: 11 WILLISTON RD; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST MARY OF THE ASSUMPTION ELEM (Students: 151; Location: 67 HARVARD ST; Grades: KG - 8)
- BAY COVE ACADEMY (Students: 35; Location: 156 LAWTON ST; Grades: UG - UG)
- IVY STREET SCHOOL (Students: 19; Location: 200 IVY; Grades: 5 - 11)
Library in Brookline:
- BROOKLINE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $2,774,438; Location: 361 WASHINGTON ST.; 326,891 books; 20,730 audio materials; 8,199 video materials; 635 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Brookline: Longwood Tennis Courts (A), Metropolitan Water Works (B), Philbrick Square (C), Reservoir Station (D), School Street Parking Lot (E), Soule Recreation Center and Playground (F), The Country Club (G), Beaconsfield Station (H), Town of Brookline Recycling Center (I), Village Square (J), Washington Square (K), Webster Street Parking Area (L), Brookline Field (M), Brookline Golf Course (N), Brookline Hills Station (O), Brookline Outdoor Skating Facility (P), Centre Street Parking Area (Q), Clark Playground (R), Coolidge Corner (S), Cypress Playground (T).
Shopping Center: Washington Square Shopping Center (1).
Churches in Brookline include: Unity-Christs Church (A), United Parish in Brookline Church (B), United Parish (C), Chinese Christian Church (D), Christ Church (E), Christian Science Benevolent Association (F), Church of Christ (G), Church of Christ in Brookline (H).
Cemeteries: Walnut Hills Cemetery (1), Brookline Cemetery (2), Holyhood Cemetery (3).
Lakes and reservoirs: Sargent Pond (A), Lost Pond (B), Halls Pond (C), Fisher Hill Reservoir (D), Crystal Lake (E), Single Tree Hill Reservoir (F), Brookline Reservoir (G).
Parks in Brookline include: Linden Park (1), Soule Recreation Center and Playground (2), Margaret E Robinson Playground (3), Coolidge Park (4), Outlook Park (5), Schick Park (6), Mason Square (7), Amory Playground (8), Amory Woods (9).
Post offices: Longwood Post Office (A), Brookline Village Post Office (B).
Brookline compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Brookline:
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WUNR (1600 AM; 20 kW; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: CHAMPION BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNTN (1550 AM; 10 kW; NEWTON, MA; Owner: COLT COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WILD (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE OF BOSTON LICENSES, LLC)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXKS (1430 AM; 5 kW; EVERETT, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMKI (1260 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Brookline:
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WHRB (95.3 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: HARVARD RADIO BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WZBC (90.3 FM; NEWTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON COLLEGE)
- WMBR (88.1 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: TECHNOLOGY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFNX (101.7 FM; LYNN, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WRBB (104.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Brookline:
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
- WJAR (Channel 10; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSBE-TV (Channel 36; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: RHODE ISLAND PUBLIC TELECOM. AUTHORITY)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.