Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 35,080. Estimated population in July 2005: 32,518 (-7.3% change)
Males: 17,617 (50.2%), Females: 17,463 (49.8%)
Median resident age: 31.3 years
Median household income: $30,161 (year 2000)
Median house value: $149,200 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Chelsea:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- Hispanic (48.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (38.3%)
- Other race (22.9%)
- Black (7.3%)
- Two or more races (6.6%)
- Vietnamese (2.5%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Other Asian (0.9%)
- Chinese (0.6%)
Ancestries: Italian (9.0%), Irish (8.5%), United States (4.1%), Polish (3.6%), English (2.8%), Subsaharan African (2.4%).Massachusetts
Elevation: 10 feet
Land area: 2.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Chelsea
- High school or higher: 59.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.0%
- Unemployed: 7.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Chelsea city
- Never married: 38.8%
- Now married: 40.3%
- Separated: 4.5%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 8.9%
36.1% Foreign born (26.2% Latin America, 3.8% Europe, 3.7% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +6,457 (+22.6%).
Apartments - listings with photo's. Find your new home with ease. />
Furnished Apts - Cambridge Corporate housing Walk to Harvard and MIT No Fee />
Serviced Apts - the Perfect Serviced Apartment in Chelsea & Enjoy Great Savings! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA Malden, (2.9 miles pop. 56,340).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (6.4 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (230.2 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (1.6 miles Everett, MA Revere, (2.4 miles MA Malden, (2.9 miles MA Winthrop, (4.0 miles MA Melrose, (4.8 miles MA Somerville, (4.8 miles MA Saugus, (4.9 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 1 building, cost: $49,000
- 1997: 11 buildings, average cost: $90,000
- 1998: 0 buildings
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $40,000
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $40,000
- 2001: 0 buildings
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $105,000
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $105,000
- 2004: 0 buildings
- 2005: 0 buildings
Latitude: 42.40 N, Longitude: 71.03 W
Area codes: 617, 857
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (16.6%), Manufacturing (15.1%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (12.2%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (10.7%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +867 (+2.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,814 (22.4%)
Crime in Chelsea by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||4 ||0 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||2.9 ||11.4 ||0.0 ||2.9 |
|Rapes ||13 ||39 ||26 ||27 |
| per 100,000 ||37.1 ||111.2 ||74.1 ||77.0 |
|Robberies ||111 ||134 ||158 ||186 |
| per 100,000 ||316.4 ||382.0 ||450.4 ||530.2 |
|Assaults ||N/A ||488 ||392 ||373 |
| per 100,000 ||N/A ||1391.1 ||1117.4 ||1063.3 |
|Burglaries ||166 ||281 ||337 ||343 |
| per 100,000 ||473.2 ||801.0 ||960.7 ||977.8 |
|Thefts ||447 ||481 ||520 ||603 |
| per 100,000 ||1274.2 ||1371.2 ||1482.3 ||1718.9 |
|Auto thefts ||437 ||440 ||425 ||342 |
| per 100,000 ||1245.7 ||1254.3 ||1211.5 ||974.9 |
| ||N/A ||659.9 ||611.7 ||620.6 |
Average climate in Chelsea, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Chelsea-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Massachusetts state average. It is 39% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 34.1 miles away from the Chelsea city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 19.2 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Chick Corea - (born 1941), musician, Vannevar Bush - (1890-1974), inventor of hypertext.
Hospital/medical center in Chelsea:
- QUIGLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (91 CREST AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Chelsea:
- HALLMARK HEALTH SYSTEM (about 3 miles; MALDEN, MA)
- ERICH LINDEMANN MENTAL HEALTH CENTER (about 4 miles; BOSTON, MA)
- MASSACHUSETTS EYE AND EAR INFIRMARY (about 4 miles; BOSTON, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Chelsea:
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 4 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 18 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- MANCHESTER (about 47 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Chelsea:
- BEVERLY MUNI (about 16 miles; BEVERLY, MA; ID: BVY)
- NORWOOD MEMORIAL (about 18 miles; NORWOOD, MA; ID: OWD)
- LAWRENCE MUNI (about 23 miles; LAWRENCE, MA; ID: LWM)
Amtrak stations near Chelsea:
- 3 miles: BOSTON, NORTH STATION (BOSTON, 126 CAUSEWAY ST.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area.
- 4 miles: BOSTON (SO. STA) (BOSTON, ATLANTIC AVE. & SUMMER ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities and snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 5 miles: BACK BAY (BOSTON, 145 DARTMOUTH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||143 ||$386,563 ||$32,438 ||153 ||$138,460 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||785 ||$2,785,816 ||$42,585 ||27 ||$17,254 | College/University in Chelsea:
- SOLDIERS HOME IN MASSACHUSETTS SCH OF PRACT NURS (Full-time enrollment: 40; Location: 91 CREST AVE; Public)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Chelsea:
- BUNKER HILL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 3 miles; BOSTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,638)
- SUFFOLK UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 5,291)
- EMERSON COLLEGE (about 5 miles; Boston, MA; FT enrollment: 3,697)
- MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 6 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 9,895)
- NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 19,294)
- WENTWORTH INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 6 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 2,732)
- SIMMONS COLLEGE (about 6 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 2,386)
Public high school in Chelsea:
- CHELSEA HIGH (Students: 1,296; Location: 299 EVERETT AVENUE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Chelsea:
- WILLIAMS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 969; Location: 180 WALNUT STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- SHURTLEFF EARLY CHILDHOOD (Students: 869; Location: 99 HAWTHORN STREET; Grades: PK - 01)
- CLARK AVENUE SCHOOL (Students: 722; Location: 8 CLARK AVENUE; Grades: 05 - 06)
- GEORGE D KELLY ELEM (Students: 461; Location: 300 CRESCENT AVENUE; Grades: KG - 05)
- FRANK M SOKOLOWSKI ELEM (Students: 452; Location: 300 CRESCENT AVENUE; Grades: 01 - 05)
- EDGAR A HOOKS ELEM (Students: 428; Location: 300 CRESCENT AVENUE; Grades: 01 - 05)
- WILLIAM A BERKOWITZ ELEM (Students: 424; Location: 300 CRESCENT AVENUE; Grades: KG - 05)
- TUDOR HILL SCHOOL (Students: 51; Location: 49 CLARK AVENUE; Grades: 05 - 12)
Private primary/middle school in Chelsea:
- ST ROSE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 373; Location: 580 BROADWAY; Grades: KG - 8)
Library in Chelsea:
- CHELSEA PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $316,493; Location: 569 BROADWAY; 69,899 books; 4,094 audio materials; 2,796 video materials; 100 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Chelsea: Murray Industrial Park (A), Massachusetts Soldiers Home (B), Chelsea City Hall (C), Chelsea Public Library (D).
Shopping Centers: Mystic Mall (1), Parkway Plaza Shopping Center (2), Broadway Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Chelsea include: Chelsea Spanish Church of God (A), Saint Stanislaus Church (B), First Baptist Church (C), Missionary Assembly of God Church (D), Nativity of Virgin Mary Church (E), Iglesia Bautista El Calvario Church (F).
Cemetery: Garden Cemetery (1).
Creek: Mill Creek (A).
Parks in Chelsea include: Downtown Chelsea Residential Historic District (1), Dever Park (2), Quigley Park (3), Washington Park (4), Chelsea Memorial Park (5), Chelsea Square Historic District (6), Polonia Playground (7), Voke Park (8), Bellingham Square Historic District (9).
Post office: (A).
Chelsea compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Chelsea:
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WILD (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE OF BOSTON LICENSES, LLC)
- WXKS (1430 AM; 5 kW; EVERETT, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WROL (950 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WUNR (1600 AM; 20 kW; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: CHAMPION BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WMKI (1260 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Chelsea:
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WHRB (95.3 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: HARVARD RADIO BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
- WFNX (101.7 FM; LYNN, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WMBR (88.1 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: TECHNOLOGY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WQSX (93.7 FM; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMFO (91.5 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: TUFTS UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Chelsea:
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
- WHDN-LP (Channel 26; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GUENTER MARKSTEINER)
- WJAR (Channel 10; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.