Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 7,527. Estimated population in July 2005: 7,441 (-1.1% change)
Males: 3,506 (46.6%), Females: 4,021 (53.4%)
Median resident age: 41.8 years
Median household income: $45,490 (year 2000)
Median house value: $156,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Great Barrington:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.5%)
- Black (2.1%)
- Hispanic (2.1%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Other race (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (18.7%), Italian (12.7%), German (12.0%), English (10.8%), Polish (9.4%), French (8.2%).Barrington, Massachusetts
Elevation: 721 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Great Barrington
- High school or higher: 88.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 33.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 16.3%
- Unemployed: 2.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Great Barrington town
- Never married: 30.8%
- Now married: 48.7%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 9.5%
5.9% Foreign born (2.7% Europe, 2.0% Latin America, 0.6% Asia).
Real Estate - Real Estate Listings Search. View Properties in Massachusetts. />
- The Facts - official site for planning your trip. />
County Homes - Banker Lakes Realty- Canadian Lakes Michigan />
Ma - Rates, Photos, and Hotel Info. Reserve Online or Call 866-90-Rooms />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NY Albany, (43.1 miles pop. 95,658).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Bay, NY (92.6 miles Oyster pop. 293,925).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (110.0 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: Barrington, MA Great (0.0 miles MA (3.9 miles Housatonic, MA (4.5 miles Alford, MA (5.9 miles Sheffield, MA Stockbridge, (7.0 miles MA (10.4 miles Monterey, Stockbridge, MA (10.4 miles West Marlborough, MA (10.5 miles New
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 25 buildings, average cost: $190,200
- 1997: 21 buildings, average cost: $190,200
- 1998: 25 buildings, average cost: $190,200
- 1999: 27 buildings, average cost: $190,200
- 2000: 25 buildings, average cost: $190,200
- 2001: 20 buildings, average cost: $197,300
- 2002: 9 buildings, average cost: $206,800
- 2003: 30 buildings, average cost: $133,700
- 2004: 35 buildings, average cost: $229,900
- 2005: 35 buildings, average cost: $229,900
Latitude: 42.20 N, Longitude: 73.36 W
Area code: 413
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (25.2%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (12.3%), Retail trade (11.2%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (10.2%).
Crime in Great Barrington by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||0 ||0 ||4 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||53.1 ||26.6 |
|Robberies ||1 ||0 ||1 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||13.3 ||0.0 ||13.3 ||0.0 |
|Assaults ||4 ||22 ||17 ||28 |
| per 100,000 ||53.1 ||292.3 ||225.9 ||372.0 |
|Burglaries ||26 ||33 ||21 ||36 |
| per 100,000 ||345.4 ||438.4 ||279.0 ||478.3 |
|Thefts ||64 ||72 ||96 ||72 |
| per 100,000 ||850.3 ||956.6 ||1275.4 ||956.6 |
|Auto thefts ||8 ||14 ||10 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||106.3 ||186.0 ||132.9 ||53.1 |
| ||81.3 ||142.3 ||151.6 ||161.0 |
Average climate in Great Barrington, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Great Barrington-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Massachusetts state average. It is 5% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/29/1995, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 4.6 miles away from the Great Barrington city center killed 3 people and injured 24 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 8/28/1973, a category 4 tornado 5.3 miles away from the city center killed 4 people and injured 36 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: W. E. B. Du Bois.
Hospital/medical center in Great Barrington:
- FAIRVIEW HOSPITAL (29 LEWIS AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Great Barrington:
- BERKSHIRE MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 20 miles; PITTSFIELD, MA)
- SHARON HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; SHARON, CT)
- CHARLOTTE HUNGERFORD HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; TORRINGTON, CT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Great Barrington:
- BARNES MUNI (about 46 miles; WESTFIELD/SPRINGFIELD, MA; ID: BAF)
- ALBANY INTL (about 48 miles; ALBANY, NY; ID: ALB)
- BRADLEY INTL (about 52 miles; WINDSOR LOCKS, CT; ID: BDL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Great Barrington:
- GREAT BARRINGTON (about 3 miles; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA; ID: GBR)
- PITTSFIELD MUNI (about 17 miles; PITTSFIELD, MA; ID: PSF)
- KLINE KILL (about 22 miles; GHENT, NY; ID: NY1)
Amtrak station near Great Barrington:
- 20 miles: PITTSFIELD (DEPOT ST. BTW NORTH & CENTER STS.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
College/University in Great Barrington:
- SIMONS ROCK COLLEGE OF BARD (Full-time enrollment: 385; Location: 84 ALFORD RD; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.simons-rock.edu)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Great Barrington:
- WILLIAMS COLLEGE (about 36 miles; WILLIAMSTOWN, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,047)
- WESTFIELD STATE COLLEGE (about 36 miles; WESTFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,058)
- VASSAR COLLEGE (about 40 miles; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; FT enrollment: 2,374)
- RENSSELAER POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE (about 43 miles; TROY, NY; FT enrollment: 7,150)
- HUDSON VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 43 miles; TROY, NY; FT enrollment: 6,337)
- SIENA COLLEGE (about 45 miles; LOUDONVILLE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,001)
- EXCELSIOR COLLEGE (about 47 miles; ALBANY, NY; FT enrollment: 7,096)
Public high school in Great Barrington:
- MONUMENT MT REG HIGH (Students: 642; Location: 600 STOCKBRIDGE ROAD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Great Barrington:
- EAGLETON SCHOOL INC (Students: 61; Location: 446 MONTEREY RD; Grades: 4 - 12; Boys only)
Public primary/middle school in Great Barrington:
- SEARLES MIDDLE (Students: 409; Location: 79 BRIDGE STREET; Grades: 05 - 08)
Library in Great Barrington:
- MASON LIBRARY (Operating income: $289,199; Location: 231 MAIN ST.; 60,727 books; 1,805 audio materials; 2,939 video materials; 125 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Great Barrington: Great Barrington Town Hall (A), Searles Castle (B).
Shopping Centers: The Fair Shopping Center (1), Fair Shopping Center (2).
Churches in Great Barrington include: Trinity Lutheran Church (A), Saint James Episcopal Church (B), First Church of Christ Scientist (C), First Congregational Church (D), Macedonia Baptist Church (E).
Post office: (A).
Great Barrington compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Great Barrington:
- WSBS (860 AM; 3 kW; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WUHN (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WEINER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WKZE (1020 AM; daytime; 3 kW; SHARON, CT; Owner: JOHNSON DEVELOPMENT, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Great Barrington:
- WAMQ (105.1 FM; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA; Owner: WAMC)
- W231AK (94.1 FM; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA; Owner: TELE-MEDIA COMPANY OF EASTERN NEW YORK, LLC)
- WHVP (91.1 FM; HUDSON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WBEC-FM (105.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WUPE (95.9 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WEINER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKZE-FM (98.1 FM; SALISBURY, CT; Owner: JOHNSON DEVELOPMENT, INC.)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WAMK (90.9 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: W A M C)
- WFGB (89.7 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WPDH (101.5 FM; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WQQQ (103.3 FM; SHARON, CT; Owner: THE RIDGEFIELD BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRCH (100.5 FM; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- W206AW (89.1 FM; PAWLING, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- W218AV (91.5 FM; WARREN, CT; Owner: MONROE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WSGG (89.3 FM; NORFOLK, CT; Owner: REVIVAL CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WBSL-FM (91.7 FM; SHEFFIELD, MA; Owner: THE BERKSHIRE SCHOOL, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Great Barrington:
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- W11BJ (Channel 11; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: COMMUNICATIONS SITE MANAGEMENT LLC)
- WTXX (Channel 20; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WTXX INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.