Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 18,168. Estimated population in July 2005: 17,834 (-1.8% change)
Males: 8,548 (47.0%), Females: 9,620 (53.0%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 39.5 years
Median household income: $33,110 (year 2000)
Median house value: $107,300 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Greenfield:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.9%)
- Hispanic (3.5%)
- Two or more races (2.4%)
- Other race (1.4%)
- Black (1.3%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
Ancestries: English (18.4%), Irish (18.0%), French (14.3%), Polish (10.4%), German (8.7%), French Canadian (7.9%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 250 feet
Land area: 5.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Greenfield
- High school or higher: 86.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.2%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Greenfield town
- Never married: 27.4%
- Now married: 47.0%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 9.7%
- Divorced: 14.0%
4.0% Foreign born (2.1% Europe, 0.9% Asia, 0.6% Latin America, 0.4% North America).
Properties - and Rentals Jerry Mueller Real Estate />
Real Estate - Real Estate Listings Search. View Properties in Massachusetts. />
- The Facts - official site for planning your trip. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA (29.2 miles Chicopee, pop. 54,653).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (105.5 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (158.9 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA Greenfield, (0.0 miles Falls, MA Turners (3.0 miles MA Deerfield, (3.4 miles MA Montague, (5.9 miles MA (6.1 miles Shelburne, MA (6.4 miles Bernardston, Falls, MA (7.4 miles Millers MA (7.6 miles Gill,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 3 buildings, average cost: $79,800
- 1997: 8 buildings, average cost: $190,700
- 1998: 8 buildings, average cost: $94,500
- 1999: 9 buildings, average cost: $98,400
- 2000: 7 buildings, average cost: $109,900
- 2001: 6 buildings, average cost: $72,600
- 2002: 23 buildings, average cost: $71,600
- 2003: 10 buildings, average cost: $101,500
- 2004: 15 buildings, average cost: $162,100
- 2005: 15 buildings, average cost: $162,100
Latitude: 42.59 N, Longitude: 72.60 W
Area code: 413
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (28.0%), Manufacturing (15.5%), Retail trade (12.3%).
Crime in Greenfield by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||0 ||1 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||5.5 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||5.5 ||5.5 |
|Rapes ||7 ||10 ||18 ||18 ||11 |
| per 100,000 ||38.5 ||55.0 ||99.1 ||99.1 ||60.5 |
|Robberies ||10 ||4 ||15 ||19 ||11 |
| per 100,000 ||55.0 ||22.0 ||82.6 ||104.6 ||60.5 |
|Assaults ||263 ||N/A ||N/A ||N/A ||N/A |
| per 100,000 ||1447.6 ||N/A ||N/A ||N/A ||N/A |
|Burglaries ||181 ||207 ||225 ||175 ||219 |
| per 100,000 ||996.3 ||1139.4 ||1238.4 ||963.2 ||1205.4 |
|Thefts ||373 ||355 ||350 ||270 ||277 |
| per 100,000 ||2053.1 ||1954.0 ||1926.5 ||1486.1 ||1524.7 |
|Auto thefts ||51 ||37 ||40 ||39 ||52 |
| per 100,000 ||280.7 ||203.7 ||220.2 ||214.7 ||286.2 |
| ||501.3 ||N/A ||N/A ||N/A ||N/A |
Average climate in Greenfield, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Greenfield-area historical tornado activity is above Massachusetts state average. It is 0% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 30.7 miles away from the Greenfield city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 10/3/1979, a category 4 tornado 38.2 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Tim Burns - College basketball player (George Mason Patriots).
Hospital/medical center in Greenfield:
- FRANKLIN MEDICAL CENTER (164 HIGH ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Greenfield:
- UNIVERSITY HEALTH SERVICES (about 17 miles; AMHERST, MA)
- BRATTLEBORO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; BRATTLEBORO, VT)
- BRATTLEBORO RETREAT (about 18 miles; BRATTLEBORO, VT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Greenfield:
- WESTOVER ARB/METROPOLITAN (about 29 miles; SPRINGFIELD/CHICOPEE, MA; ID: CEF)
- BARNES MUNI (about 32 miles; WESTFIELD/SPRINGFIELD, MA; ID: BAF)
- BRADLEY INTL (about 46 miles; WINDSOR LOCKS, CT; ID: BDL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Greenfield:
- TURNERS FALLS (about 6 miles; MONTAGUE, MA; ID: 0B5)
- NORTHAMPTON (about 19 miles; NORTHAMPTON, MA; ID: 7B2)
- ORANGE MUNI (about 22 miles; ORANGE, MA; ID: ORE)
Amtrak stations near Greenfield:
- 17 miles: AMHERST (RAILROAD ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 18 miles: BRATTLEBORO (VERNON RD.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
College/University in Greenfield:
- GREENFIELD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,407; Location: ONE COLLEGE DR; Public; Website: www.gcc.mass.edu)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Greenfield:
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-AMHERST (about 16 miles; AMHERST, MA; Full-time enrollment: 21,468)
- SMITH COLLEGE (about 20 miles; NORTHAMPTON, MA; FT enrollment: 3,053)
- MOUNT HOLYOKE COLLEGE (about 25 miles; SOUTH HADLEY, MA; FT enrollment: 2,029)
- HOLYOKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 27 miles; HOLYOKE, MA; FT enrollment: 3,747)
- WESTERN NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE (about 33 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 3,285)
- SPRINGFIELD COLLEGE (about 33 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,176)
- WESTFIELD STATE COLLEGE (about 34 miles; WESTFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,058)
Public high school in Greenfield:
- GREENFIELD HIGH (Students: 582; Location: 1 LENOX AVENUE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Greenfield:
- GREENFIELD MIDDLE (Students: 532; Location: 195 FEDERAL STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- FEDERAL (Students: 292; Location: 125 FEDERAL STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- FOUR CORNERS (Students: 243; Location: 21 FERRANTE AVENUE; Grades: PK - 05)
- NEWTON SCHOOL (Students: 196; Location: 70 SHELBURNE RD; Grades: KG - 05)
- GREEN RIVER (Students: 158; Location: 62 MERIDIAN STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- NORTH PARISH (Students: 117; Location: 1 PLACE TERRACE; Grades: KG - 05)
- FOUR RIVERS CHARTER SCHOOL (Students: 64; Location: P.O. BOX 819; Grades: 07 - 08)
Private primary/middle schools in Greenfield:
- HOLY TRINITY SCHOOL (Students: 152; Location: 10 BEACON STREET; Grades: PK - 6)
- GREENFIELD CENTER SCHOOL (Students: 148; Location: 71 MONTAGUE CITY RD; Grades: KG - 8)
- CORNERSTONE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 93; Location: 385 CHAPMAN ST; Grades: PK - 6)
Library in Greenfield:
- GREENFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $545,586; Location: 402 MAIN ST.; 46,646 books; 2,412 audio materials; 1,378 video materials; 147 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Greenfield: Franklin Law Library (A), Franklin County Jail (B).
Churches in Greenfield include: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (A), Christian and Missionary Church (B), Second Congregational Church (C), Salvation Army (D), Saint Pauls Lutheran Church (E), Saint James Episcopal Church (F), First Baptist Church (G), First Church of Christ Scientist (H).
Cemeteries: Green River Cemetery (1), Calvary Cemetery (2), Polish Cemetery (3), High Street Cemetery (4).
Reservoir: Nash Pond (A).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Arms Brook (A), Cherry Rum Brook (B), Mill Brook (C), Wheeler Brook (D), Smead Brook (E), Graves Brook (F), Green River (G).
Parks in Greenfield include: Temple Woods (1), Main Street Historic District (2), Rocky Mountain Park (3), Highland Park (4).
Greenfield compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Greenfield:
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WHMQ (1240 AM; 1 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WPNI (1430 AM; 5 kW; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WHYN (560 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WACE (730 AM; 5 kW; CHICOPEE, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WCAT (700 AM; daytime; 3 kW; ORANGE-ATHOL, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Greenfield:
- WHAI (98.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WRSI (93.9 FM; TURNERS FALLS, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WGAJ (91.7 FM; DEERFIELD, MA; Owner: TRUATEES OF DEERFIELD ACADEMY)
- WFCR (88.5 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WYRY (104.9 FM; HINSDALE, NH; Owner: TRI-VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WAMH (89.3 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF AMHERST COLLEGE)
- WRNX (100.9 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- W246AM (97.1 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WKVT-FM (92.7 FM; BRATTLEBORO, VT; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WLZX (99.3 FM; NORTHAMPTON, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WOQL (98.7 FM; WINCHESTER, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, LLC)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WCMK (91.9 FM; PUTNEY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
TV broadcast stations around Greenfield:
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- W35BK (Channel 35; PLAINFIELD, MA; Owner: LYDIA SYLVANE STOCKWELL)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.