Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 105,167. Estimated population in July 2005: 103,111 (-2.0% change)
Males: 51,807 (49.3%), Females: 53,360 (50.7%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 31.4 years
Median household income: $39,192 (year 2000)
Median house value: $134,200 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Lowell:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (62.5%)
- Hispanic (14.0%)
- Other Asian (11.8%)
- Other race (6.5%)
- Black (4.2%)
- Two or more races (3.9%)
- Asian Indian (2.3%)
- Vietnamese (1.5%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
- Chinese (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (19.5%), French (11.0%), French Canadian (8.4%), English (5.9%), Portuguese (5.8%), Italian (5.7%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 102 feet
Land area: 13.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Lowell
- High school or higher: 71.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.7%
- Unemployed: 6.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lowell city
- Never married: 37.0%
- Now married: 43.5%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 9.3%
22.1% Foreign born (11.9% Asia, 4.9% Latin America, 3.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,749 (+1.7%).
School - private, affordable K-12 school located in Amesbury, Massachusetts. /> Massachusetts. />
Central Mass Property - real estate experts Save with us! />
Directions & Maps - hotels, restaurants and more anytime! Free and easy tool. />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (26.9 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (223.4 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA Dracut, (2.3 miles MA (4.6 miles Chelmsford, MA Tewksbury, (5.8 miles MA Billerica, (6.4 miles NH (6.6 miles Pelham, MA (8.0 miles Carlisle, MA (9.4 miles Pinehurst, MA (9.5 miles Westford,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 29 buildings, average cost: $62,400
- 1997: 53 buildings, average cost: $66,500
- 1998: 120 buildings, average cost: $71,200
- 1999: 73 buildings, average cost: $75,500
- 2000: 98 buildings, average cost: $78,100
- 2001: 35 buildings, average cost: $87,800
- 2002: 35 buildings, average cost: $85,600
- 2003: 129 buildings, average cost: $134,600
- 2004: 191 buildings, average cost: $101,000
- 2005: 191 buildings, average cost: $108,500
Latitude: 42.64 N, Longitude: 71.31 W
Area code: 978
Introduction Basic Facts Communications Convention Facilities Economy Education and Research Geography and Climate Health Care History Municipal Government Population Profile Recreation Transportation
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (24.2%), Educational,health and social services (19.9%), Retail trade (10.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -9,164 (-8.7%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 14,883 (31.8%)
Crime in Lowell by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||3 ||6 ||4 ||7 ||2 ||5 |
| per 100,000 ||2.9 ||5.7 ||3.8 ||6.7 ||1.9 ||4.8 |
|Rapes ||33 ||45 ||37 ||47 ||45 ||44 |
| per 100,000 ||31.4 ||42.8 ||35.2 ||44.7 ||42.8 ||41.8 |
|Robberies ||92 ||131 ||122 ||158 ||146 ||169 |
| per 100,000 ||87.5 ||124.6 ||116.0 ||150.2 ||138.8 ||160.7 |
|Assaults ||661 ||555 ||687 ||637 ||673 ||771 |
| per 100,000 ||628.5 ||527.7 ||653.2 ||605.7 ||639.9 ||733.1 |
|Burglaries ||631 ||686 ||650 ||630 ||626 ||576 |
| per 100,000 ||600.0 ||652.3 ||618.1 ||599.0 ||595.2 ||547.7 |
|Thefts ||1,164 ||1,765 ||2,052 ||1,957 ||1,737 ||2,002 |
| per 100,000 ||1106.8 ||1678.3 ||1951.2 ||1860.8 ||1651.7 ||1903.6 |
|Auto thefts ||723 ||811 ||958 ||822 ||716 ||633 |
| per 100,000 ||687.5 ||771.2 ||910.9 ||781.6 ||680.8 ||601.9 |
| ||308.6 ||340.2 ||377.5 ||369.6 ||350.9 ||379.0 |
Average climate in Lowell, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Lowell-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Massachusetts state average. It is 23% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 27.4 miles away from the Lowell city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 6.4 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Jack Kerouac - (1922-1969), writer, Richard M. Linnehan - (born 1957), astronaut, James McNeill Whistler - (1834-1903), painter, Michael Chiklis - (born 1963), actor, Olympia Dukakis - (born 1931), actress, Fred Kounkorgo - College basketball player (Hartford Hawks).
Main business address for: DATAWATCH CORP (SERVICES-PREPACKAGED SOFTWARE), ENTERPRISE BANCORP INC /MA/ (STATE COMMERCIAL BANKS).
Hospitals/medical centers in Lowell:
- DR HARRY SOLOMON MHC (391 VARNUM AVE)
- LOWELL GENERAL HOSPITAL (295 VARNUM AVENUE)
- SAINTS MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER INC (220 PAWTUCKET STREET)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Lowell:
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 13 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- MANCHESTER (about 22 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 30 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Lowell:
- MERRIMACK VALLEY (about 9 miles; METHUEN, MA; ID: MA2)
- LAWRENCE MUNI (about 15 miles; LAWRENCE, MA; ID: LWM)
- BOIRE FIELD (about 16 miles; NASHUA, NH; ID: ASH)
Amtrak stations near Lowell:
- 15 miles: WOBURN (100 ATLANTIC AVE.). Services: ticket office.
- 19 miles: HAVERHILL (WASHINGTON ST. @ RAILROAD SQUARE). Services: ticket office.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||415 ||$1,018,891 ||$29,461 ||115 ||$139,048 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||1701 ||$9,039,589 ||$63,771 ||212 ||$322,059 | Colleges/Universities in Lowell:
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-LOWELL (Full-time enrollment: 8,373; Location: 1 UNIVERSITY AVE; Public; Website: WWW.UML.EDU; Offers Doctor's degree)
- BLAINE THE BEAUTY CAREER SCHOOL (FT enrollment: 115; Location: 231 CENTRAL ST; Private, for-profit; Website: email@example.com)
- LOWELL ACADEMY OF HAIRDRESSING (FT enrollment: 44; Location: 136 CENTRAL ST; Private, for-profit)
- TRAINING UNLIMITED INC (Location: 850 CHELMFORD ST; Private, for-profit; Website: www.training.lowellarea.com)
- DICK LEPINE REAL ESTATE INC (Location: 757 BRIDGE ST; Private, for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Lowell:
- MIDDLESEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 11 miles; BEDFORD, MA; Full-time enrollment: 4,501)
- MERRIMACK COLLEGE (about 15 miles; NORTH ANDOVER, MA; FT enrollment: 2,384)
- BRANDEIS UNIVERSITY (about 17 miles; WALTHAM, MA; FT enrollment: 4,444)
- BENTLEY COLLEGE (about 19 miles; WALTHAM, MA; FT enrollment: 4,651)
- NORTHERN ESSEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 20 miles; HAVERHILL, MA; FT enrollment: 3,388)
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; MEDFORD, MA; FT enrollment: 8,627)
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 20,531)
Public high schools in Lowell:
- LOWELL HIGH (Students: 3,906; Location: 50 FR. MORRISSETTE BLVD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- LOWELL MIDDLESEX ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL (Students: 108; Location: 33 KEARNEY SQUARE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Lowell:
- LOWELL CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 288; Location: 530 STEVENS ST; Grades: 9 - 12)
- COMMUNITY CHRISTIAN ACAD. (Students: 113; Location: 205 INDUSTRIAL AVE E; Grades: KG - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Lowell:
- JAMES S DALEY MIDDLE SCH (Students: 856; Location: 150 FLEMING STREET; Grades: 05 - 08)
- E N ROGERS (Students: 737; Location: 43 HIGHLAND STREET; Grades: 05 - 08)
- JAMES SULLIVAN MIDDLE SCH (Students: 720; Location: 150 DRAPER STREET; Grades: 05 - 08)
- DR AN WANG SCHOOL (Students: 683; Location: 365 WEST MEADOW RD; Grades: 05 - 08)
- HENRY J ROBINSON MIDDLE (Students: 644; Location: 110 JUNE STREET; Grades: 05 - 08)
- PETER W REILLY (Students: 614; Location: 115 DOUGLAS RD; Grades: PK - 04)
- B.F.BUTLER MIDDLE SCH (Students: 565; Location: 1140 GORHAM STREET; Grades: 05 - 08)
- LOWELL COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL (Students: 542; Location: 206 JACKSON STREET; Grades: KG - 06)
- BARTLETT MIDDLE SCH (Students: 540; Location: 79 WANNALANCIT STREET; Grades: 05 - 08)
- JOSEPH MCAVINNUE (Students: 525; Location: 117 MAMMOTH RD; Grades: PK - 04)
Biggest private primary/middle schools in Lowell:
- ST JEANNE DARC ELEM (Students: 491; Location: 68 DRACUT STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- ST MARGARET ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 442; Location: 486 STEVENS STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST LOUIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 400; Location: 77 BOISVERT STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- FRANCO AMERICAN ELEMENTARY SCH (Students: 386; Location: 357 PAWTUCKET STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- ST MICHAEL SCHOOL (Students: 337; Location: 21 SIXTH STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- IMMACULATE CONCEPTION ELEM SCH (Students: 310; Location: 218 E MERRIMACK ST; Grades: PK - 8)
- SACRED HEART ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 211; Location: 122 ANDREWS STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST PATRICK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 193; Location: 311 ADAMS STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST STANISLAUS SCHOOL (Students: 165; Location: 368 HIGH ST; Grades: KG - 8)
- C.T.I.CHILDRENS CORNER D C C (Students: 130; Location: 554 PAWTUCKET ST; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Lowell:
- SAMUEL S. POLLARD MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,183,932; Location: 33 MIDDLE ST.; 161,478 books; 3,289 audio materials; 3,172 video materials; 546 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Lowell: Lawrence Mill (A), Lowell Industrial Park (B), Market Mills (C), Massachusetts Mill (D), Mount Pleasant Golf Club (E), Appleton Mill (F), Saint Louis Field (G), Suffolk Mill Turbine Exhibit (H), Wamesit Canal-Whipple Mill Industrial Complex (I), Boott Mills (J), Hadley Field (K), Hamilton Mill (L), Lowell Memorial Auditorium (M), Lowell Manufacturing Company Agents House (N), Suffolk Manufacturing Company (O), Lowell Manufacturing Company (P), New England Quilt Museum (Q), New England Folklife Center (R), Lowell National Historical Park Headquarters (S), Lowell National Historic Park Visitor Center (T).
Shopping Centers: Middlesex Plaza Shopping Center (1), Sunrise Shopping Center (2), Eastgate Plaza Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Lowell include: Calvary Baptist Church (A), Centralville United Methodist Church (B), Christ Church United in Lowell (C), Christian Church Defender (D), Christian Missionary Church (E), Temple Emanuel-Reform (F), Seventh Day Adventist Spanish Church (G), Seventh Day Adventist Church (H).
Cemeteries: Westlawn Cemetery (1), Lowell Cemetery (2), Clark Cemetery (3), Edson Cemetery (4), Hildreth Cemetery (5), Saint Marys Cemetery (6), School Street Cemetery (7).
Reservoirs: Concord River Reservoir (A), Upper Pawtucket Canal Reservoir (B), Merrimack River Reservoir (C), Lowell Reservoir (D), Pawtucket Canal Reservoir (E), Beaver Brook Reservoir (F), Lower Pawtucket Canal Reservoir (G).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: River Meadow Brook (A), Scarlet Brook (B), Concord River (C), Beaver Brook (D), Claypit Brook (E), Marbles Brook (F), Marginal Brook (G), Black Brook (H).
Parks in Lowell include: Alumni Field (1), Tyler Park Historic District (2), Tyler Park (3), Shedd Park (4), South Common Historic District (5), South Common Park (6), Fort Hill Park (7), Washington Square Historic District (8), Washington Park (9).
Lowell compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Lowell:
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WLLH (1400 AM; 1 kW; LOWELL, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF LOWELL LICENSEE, LLC)
- WCAP (980 AM; 5 kW; LOWELL, MA; Owner: NORTHEAST RADIO, INC.)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCEC (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; SALEM, NH; Owner: COSTA-EAGLE RADIO VENTURES LTD PARTNERSHIP)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WDER (1320 AM; 10 kW; DERRY, NH; Owner: BLOUNT COMMUNICATIONS, INC. OF NH)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Lowell:
- WJUL (91.5 FM; LOWELL, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS, LOWELL)
- WKLB-FM (99.5 FM; LOWELL, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- W227AM (93.3 FM; ANDOVER, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WHOB (106.3 FM; NASHUA, NH; Owner: TELE-MEDIA COMPANY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, L.L.C.)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WXRV (92.5 FM; HAVERHILL, MA; Owner: BEANPOT BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGIR-FM (101.1 FM; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQLL (96.5 FM; BEDFORD, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
TV broadcast stations around Lowell:
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WNDS (Channel 50; DERRY, NH; Owner: CTV OF DERRY, INC)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- WHDN-LP (Channel 26; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GUENTER MARKSTEINER)
- WYCN-LP (Channel 13; NASHUA, NH; Owner: CENTER BROADCASTING CORP. OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- W33AK (Channel 33; NASHUA, NH; Owner: CENTER B/CING CORPORATION OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.