Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 56,340. Estimated population in July 2005: 55,871 (-0.8% change)
Males: 27,122 (48.1%), Females: 29,218 (51.9%)
Median resident age: 35.7 years
Median household income: $45,654 (year 2000)
Median house value: $176,100 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Malden:
- White Non-Hispanic (69.6%)
- Black (8.2%)
- Chinese (8.0%)
- Hispanic (4.8%)
- Two or more races (3.5%)
- Vietnamese (2.4%)
- Other race (2.1%)
- Asian Indian (1.7%)
- Other Asian (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: Italian (21.0%), Irish (21.0%), English (6.2%), French (3.5%), West Indian (3.2%), French Canadian (3.0%).Massachusetts
Elevation: 13 feet
Land area: 5.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Malden
- High school or higher: 83.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 26.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.9%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Malden city
- Never married: 34.9%
- Now married: 47.6%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 8.4%
25.7% Foreign born (11.9% Asia, 7.1% Latin America, 4.3% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +2,429 (+4.5%).
with Rent.com - Malden MA apartments Report your lease and get $100. />
Homes for Sale - all home & condo listings plus sales reports for Wellesley, etc. />
Property - real estate listings on NYTimes.com />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (7.7 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (229.7 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (1.4 miles Everett, MA Melrose, (2.1 miles MA Chelsea, (2.9 miles MA (3.3 miles Medford, MA Revere, (3.9 miles MA Somerville, (4.0 miles MA Saugus, (4.2 miles .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 12 buildings, average cost: $58,900
- 1997: 21 buildings, average cost: $47,800
- 1998: 21 buildings, average cost: $47,200
- 1999: 21 buildings, average cost: $47,800
- 2000: 17 buildings, average cost: $48,400
- 2001: 19 buildings, average cost: $82,300
- 2002: 25 buildings, average cost: $93,800
- 2003: 48 buildings, average cost: $72,300
- 2004: 28 buildings, average cost: $111,900
- 2005: 22 buildings, average cost: $111,000
Latitude: 42.43 N, Longitude: 71.06 W
Area codes: 781, 617, 339
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (21.8%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (12.3%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (11.4%), Retail trade (10.4%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -11,233 (-19.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 4,961 (17.0%)
Crime in Malden by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||3 ||0 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||5.3 ||0.0 ||3.5 |
|Rapes ||14 ||17 ||21 |
| per 100,000 ||24.8 ||30.2 ||37.3 |
|Robberies ||45 ||82 ||107 |
| per 100,000 ||79.9 ||145.5 ||189.9 |
|Assaults ||415 ||N/A ||281 |
| per 100,000 ||736.6 ||N/A ||498.8 |
|Burglaries ||258 ||552 ||571 |
| per 100,000 ||457.9 ||979.8 ||1013.5 |
|Thefts ||758 ||799 ||700 |
| per 100,000 ||1345.4 ||1418.2 ||1242.5 |
|Auto thefts ||248 ||236 ||203 |
| per 100,000 ||440.2 ||418.9 ||360.3 |
| ||307.6 ||N/A ||324.7 |
Average climate in Malden, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Malden-area historical tornado activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 37% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 32.8 miles away from the Malden city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 16.3 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Jack Albertson - (1907-1981), actor, Frank Stella - (born 1936), painter, Ed Ames - (b. 1927), Kevin Newhall - College football player (Northeastern Huskies).
Hospital/medical center in Malden:
- HALLMARK HEALTH SYSTEM (100 HOSPITAL ROAD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Malden:
- QUIGLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; CHELSEA, MA)
- ERICH LINDEMANN MENTAL HEALTH CENTER (about 5 miles; BOSTON, MA)
- MASSACHUSETTS EYE AND EAR INFIRMARY (about 5 miles; BOSTON, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Malden:
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 7 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 16 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- MANCHESTER (about 44 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Malden:
- BEVERLY MUNI (about 16 miles; BEVERLY, MA; ID: BVY)
- NORWOOD MEMORIAL (about 19 miles; NORWOOD, MA; ID: OWD)
- LAWRENCE MUNI (about 21 miles; LAWRENCE, MA; ID: LWM)
Amtrak stations near Malden:
- 5 miles: BOSTON, NORTH STATION (BOSTON, 126 CAUSEWAY ST.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area.
- 6 miles: BOSTON (SO. STA) (BOSTON, ATLANTIC AVE. & SUMMER ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities and snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 6 miles: BACK BAY (BOSTON, 145 DARTMOUTH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Housing and Community Development(Local) ||19 ||$96,069 ||$60,675 ||2 ||$3,610 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||859 ||$3,674,573 ||$51,332 ||47 ||$46,318 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||105 ||$266,670 ||$30,476 ||22 ||$8,309 | Colleges/Universities in Malden:
- BLAINE THE BEAUTY CAREER SCHOOL (Full-time enrollment: 141; Location: 347 PLEASANT ST; Private, for-profit; Website: email@example.com)
- NEW ENGLAND HAIR ACADEMY (FT enrollment: 103; Location: 492-500 MAIN ST; Private, for-profit)
- LEARNING INSTITUTE FOR BEAUTY SCIENCES (FT enrollment: 47; Location: 384 MAIN ST; Private, for-profit; Website: LIBS.ORG)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Malden:
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; MEDFORD, MA; Full-time enrollment: 8,627)
- BUNKER HILL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 4 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 3,638)
- SUFFOLK UNIVERSITY (about 5 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 5,291)
- MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 6 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 9,895)
- EMERSON COLLEGE (about 6 miles; Boston, MA; FT enrollment: 3,697)
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 20,531)
- LESLEY UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 3,700)
Public high school in Malden:
- MALDEN HIGH (Students: 1,558; Location: 77 SALEM STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Malden:
- MALDEN CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 667; Location: 99 CRYSTAL STREET; Grades: 9 - 12; Boys only)
Public primary/middle schools in Malden:
- SALEMWOOD (Students: 1,214; Location: 529 SALEM STREET; Grades: PK - 08)
- MYSTIC VALLEY REGIONAL CHARTER SCHOOL (Students: 1,022; Location: 770 SALEM STREET; Grades: KG - 10)
- BEEBE (Students: 913; Location: 401 PLEASANT STREET; Grades: KG - 08)
- FERRYWAY (Students: 892; Location: 150 CROSS STREET; Grades: PK - 08)
- LINDEN (Students: 732; Location: 29 WESCOTT STREET; Grades: PK - 08)
- FORESTDALE (Students: 562; Location: 74 SYLVAN STREET; Grades: PK - 08)
- MALDEN ELC (Students: 264; Location: 257 MOUNTAIN AVENUE; Grades: PK - KG)
Private primary/middle schools in Malden:
- CHEVERUS ELEM (Students: 403; Location: 30 IRVING STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- IMMACULATE CONCEPTION ELEM SCH (Students: 336; Location: 306 HIGHLAND AVENUE; Grades: KG - 8)
- CHILDRENS CTR AT JEWISH COMM C (Students: 49; Location: 30 LAUREL STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
- HILLTOP SCHOOL (Students: 31; Location: 165 MOUNTAIN AVENUE; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Malden:
- MALDEN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,110,723; Location: 36 SALEM ST.; 290,107 books; 1,718 audio materials; 1,772 video materials; 281 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Malden: Amenge Field (A), Amerige Field (B), Malden City Hall (C), Malden Government Center (D), Malden Public Library (E), Odd Fellows Building (F), Converse Memorial Building (G), Linden Branch Malden Public Library (H).
Shopping Centers: Adams Plaza Shopping Center (1), Dowling Building Shopping Center (2).
Churches in Malden include: Centre United Methodist Church (A), Christ United Methodist Church (B), Temple Tifereth Israel-Malden (C), Temple Ezrath Israel (D), Congregation Beth Israel West (E), Maplewood Baptist Church (F), Saint Pauls Episcopal Parish Church (G), Eglise Philadelphia Church (H).
Cemeteries: Forest Dale Cemetery (1), Saint Marys Cemetery (2), Holy Cross Cemetery (3).
Lakes and swamps: Fellsmere Pond (A), Richs Meadow Swamp (B).
Parks in Malden include: Roosevelt Park (1), Hunting Field (2), Miller Park (3), MacDonald Stadium (4), Devir Park (5), MacArthur Playground (6), Devir Playground (7), Oakdale Park (8), Fellsmere Park (9).
Post office: (A).
Malden compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Malden:
- WILD (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE OF BOSTON LICENSES, LLC)
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WXKS (1430 AM; 5 kW; EVERETT, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WROL (950 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WUNR (1600 AM; 20 kW; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: CHAMPION BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBPS (1150 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF BOSTON LICENSEE, L.L.C.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Malden:
- WFNX (101.7 FM; LYNN, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
- WHRB (95.3 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: HARVARD RADIO BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WMBR (88.1 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: TECHNOLOGY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WQSX (93.7 FM; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMFO (91.5 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: TUFTS UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Malden:
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WHDN-LP (Channel 26; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GUENTER MARKSTEINER)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.