Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 9,520. Estimated population in July 2005: 10,168 (+6.8% change)
Males: 4,884 (51.3%), Females: 4,636 (48.7%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 36.7 years
Median household income: $55,522 (year 2000)
Median house value: $577,500 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Nantucket:
- White Non-Hispanic (86.9%)
- Black (8.3%)
- Hispanic (2.2%)
- Other race (1.6%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (21.9%), English (21.0%), German (10.3%), Italian (8.7%), French (7.0%), Scottish (6.7%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 30 feet
Land area: 2.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Nantucket
- High school or higher: 91.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 38.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.4%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 9.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Nantucket town
- Never married: 33.9%
- Now married: 47.9%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 4.7%
- Divorced: 12.1%
8.0% Foreign born (3.7% Europe, 2.7% Latin America, 1.0% Asia).
Appraisal Group - Buyer's Consultant Be an informed buyer or investor />
Luxury Collections - luxury homes and estates for sale or sell your luxury home. />
Rental Listings - owners managers List beach vacation properties free />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA Plymouth, (60.7 miles pop. 51,701).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (98.9 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (265.3 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA Nantucket, (0.0 miles Port, MA (26.6 miles Dennis Dennis, MA (26.6 miles West Port, MA (26.8 miles Harwich Yarmouth, MA West (27.4 miles Yarmouth, MA (27.6 miles South MA (28.0 miles Harwich, Harwich, MA (28.1 miles Northwest
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 259 buildings, average cost: $208,700
- 1997: 233 buildings, average cost: $242,200
- 1998: 244 buildings, average cost: $298,600
- 1999: 218 buildings, average cost: $335,500
- 2000: 185 buildings, average cost: $328,400
- 2001: 243 buildings, average cost: $401,100
- 2002: 173 buildings, average cost: $357,200
- 2003: 196 buildings, average cost: $412,900
- 2004: 267 buildings, average cost: $398,000
- 2005: 260 buildings, average cost: $466,800
Latitude: 41.28 N, Longitude: 70.10 W
Area codes: 508, 774
Industries providing employment: Construction (21.7%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (14.0%), Educational,health and social services (13.9%), Retail trade (11.5%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (10.5%).
Crime in Nantucket by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||1 ||4 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||10.5 ||42.0 ||10.5 |
|Robberies ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Assaults ||57 ||58 ||N/A |
| per 100,000 ||598.7 ||609.2 ||N/A |
|Burglaries ||70 ||79 ||35 |
| per 100,000 ||735.3 ||829.8 ||367.6 |
|Thefts ||468 ||449 ||405 |
| per 100,000 ||4916.0 ||4716.4 ||4254.2 |
|Auto thefts ||35 ||22 ||11 |
| per 100,000 ||367.6 ||231.1 ||115.5 |
| ||401.5 ||403.9 ||N/A |
Average climate in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Birthplace of: Lucretia Mott - (1793-1880), women's rights activist and abolitionist.
Hospital/medical center in Nantucket:
- NANTUCKET COTTAGE HOSPITAL (S PROSPECT ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Nantucket:
- CAPE COD HOSPITAL (about 29 miles; HYANNIS, MA)
- MARTHA'S VINEYARD HOSPITAL (about 34 miles; OAK BLUFFS, MA)
- REHAB HOSP OF THE CAPE AND ISLANDS (about 39 miles; EAST SANDWICH, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Nantucket:
- NANTUCKET MEMORIAL (about 5 miles; NANTUCKET, MA; ID: ACK)
- BARNSTABLE MUNI-BOARDMAN/POLANDO FIELD (about 29 miles; HYANNIS, MA; ID: HYA)
- MARTHAS VINEYARD (about 36 miles; VINEYARD HAVEN, MA; ID: MVY)
Other public-use airports nearest to Nantucket:
- CHATHAM MUNI (about 29 miles; CHATHAM, MA; ID: CQX)
- KATAMA AIRPARK (about 30 miles; EDGARTOWN, MA; ID: 1B2)
- CAPE COD (about 35 miles; MARSTON MILLS, MA; ID: 2B1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Nantucket:
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-DARTMOUTH (about 67 miles; NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA; Full-time enrollment: 6,071)
- BRIDGEWATER STATE COLLEGE (about 78 miles; BRIDGEWATER, MA; FT enrollment: 6,843)
- BRISTOL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 78 miles; FALL RIVER, MA; FT enrollment: 3,497)
- MASSASOIT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 84 miles; BROCKTON, MA; FT enrollment: 4,161)
- ROGER WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY (about 86 miles; BRISTOL, RI; FT enrollment: 3,007)
- STONEHILL COLLEGE (about 87 miles; EASTON, MA; FT enrollment: 2,374)
- QUINCY COLLEGE (about 91 miles; QUINCY, MA; FT enrollment: 2,528)
Public high school in Nantucket:
- NANTUCKET HIGH (Students: 362; Location: 10 SURFSIDE ROAD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Nantucket:
- NANTUCKET ELEMENTARY (Students: 529; Location: 30 SURFSIDE ROAD; Grades: PK - 05)
- CYRUS PEIRCE (Students: 277; Location: 10 SURFSIDE ROAD; Grades: 06 - 08)
Private primary/middle school in Nantucket:
- NANTUCKET NEW SCHOOL (Students: 48; Location: PO BOX 2021; Grades: PK - 7)
Library in Nantucket:
- NANTUCKET ATHENEUM (Operating income: $800,079; Location: 1 INDIA STREET; 36,541 books; 1,186 audio materials; 319 video materials; 184 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Nantucket: Loines Observatory (A), Nantucket Community-School Pool (B), Nantucket Ferry Slip Light (C), Nantucket Harbor Range Light (D), Nantucket Shipyard (E), Nantucket Town Pier (F), Nantucket Yacht Club (G), Old Brant Point Lighthouse (H), Old North Wharf (I), Old South Wharf (J), Steamboat Wharf (K), Steamship Authority Ferry (L), Straight Wharf (M), Thomas Macy Warehouse (N), Brant Point Light (O), Brant Point Racquet Club (P), Commercial Wharf (Q), Jetties Beach Public Tennis Courts (R), Academy Hill Housing (S), Museum of Nantucket History (T).
Churches in Nantucket include: Unitarian Universalist Church (A), Congregation Shirat Ha Yam (B), Society of Friends Church (C), Saint Pauls Episcopal Church (D), Saint Marys Our Lady of the Isle Roman Catholic Church (E), First Baptist Church (F), First Church of Christ Scientist (G), First Congregational Church (H).
Cemeteries: African Baptist Cemetery (1), Saint Marys Cemetery (2), Old Town Cemetery (3), Prospect Hill Cemetery (4), Friends Burying Ground (5), Old North Cemetery (6), New Town Cemetery (7).
Lakes: No Bottom Pond (A), Goose Pond (B).
Parks in Nantucket include: Abiah Folger Franklin Fountain (1), Mill Hill Park (2), Greater Light Garden (3), Lily Pond Park (4), Soldier and Sailors Monument (5), Main Street Square (6), Nantucket Historic District (7).
Beaches: Childrens Beach (A), South Beach (B), Cliff Beach (C), Clean Shore (D).
Post offices: Nantucket Branch Post Office (A), Nantucket Post Office (B).
Nantucket compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Nantucket:
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Nantucket:
- WNAN (91.1 FM; NANTUCKET, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WRZE (96.3 FM; NANTUCKET, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WNCK (89.5 FM; NANTUCKET, MA; Owner: NANTUCKET PUBLIC RADIO INC)
- WXTK (95.1 FM; WEST YARMOUTH, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING LTD. PARTNERSHIP)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.